**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

amartsg852

Apr 1, 2011
My current phone is realme 1 ^GB/128 GB + 128 GB microsd -- 4*A72+ 4*A53-- 3950 mAH
My last phone was Samsung Galaxy note 3--:sneaky: used until it died then used it as a zombie
I do heavy multitasking on my phone and use is for my profession. I receive around 40 calls/day + play RPG -- never FPS. We have very poor and erratic internet in my area -- from peak time (6pm to 9pm ) you cannot load any site except you tube. youtube also will not play video at any resolution.
requirements in a new phone
  1. 4 BIG cores+
  2. 8 GB RAM+
  3. 256 GB Storage + Micro SD card OR 512 GB storage+
  4. 3.5 mm jack+ or a phone below 100$
  5. 5000mAH battery or better
  6. Budget 600$ (INR 40000)
  7. USB -C charging. 10 W is good enough
  8. Region India
Need to buy now because my charging port and battery is going.

Jul 2, 2019
London
I want to buy a phone that's future proof and, after the manufacturer stops releasing software updates, supported for a long time with custom ROMs. So my best choice is obviously a popular 5G flagship phone. It needs to have a good camera (4K 60FPS, I make lots of videos and I want them to look absolutely stunning), a Snapdragon (NOT Mediatek) chipset, and a micro SD card slot*. Ideally it should be waterproof (I'm not too worried about getting it wet, except it rains a lot in the UK) and robust**, with a HDR display***.

Anyway, I'm considering these phones. I'd like to spend as little as possible. I haven't decided on one yet but my main concern is software support (official+unofficial). Even if I can't decide, someone else may find this list useful if they're unsure about what phone they want. The prices may not be accurate, but I looked for the best deals I could find from fairly reputable sites. None of these phones have Android 11 at the time of writing, but their manufacturer plans to release an update eventually, and some of them probably have an Android 11 custom ROM available for them already.
  1. Sony Xperia 5 II (£800.00) - it has all the features I want, and includes a lovely 120Hz HDR BT.2020 OLED display, but it's very expensive. It has an IP68 water resistance rating.
  2. Sony Xperia 1 III - it hasn't been released yet, and there's not much information on it, but it sports a Snapdradon 888 Chipset and features wireless charging (which I don't really need but it's still a nice option). It has an IP68 water resistance rating.
  3. Asus Zenfone 7/Zenfone 7 Pro (£450) - the main camera and selfie camera are essentially the same, which does away with the pinhole/notch selfie camera design. Some people might be scared of breaking the motorized flip-up camera. You can record videos in 4K 120FPS or 8K 30FPS (although I don't see much point in recording 8K video unless you were making a movie perhaps). It has a smooth 90Hz HDR10+ super AMOLED display. It's not waterproof unfortunately, and there's no headphone jack (although I have a USB headset and bluetooth earbuds so I don't really use it much anyway). It's not yet available in the USA (although that might've changed by now).
  4. LG V60 ThinQ 5G (£400.00) - this phone also has an 8K camera (again, quite pointless) and wireless charging. It also comes with a secondary display attatchment, which I don't see myself ever using. It has a 60Hz P-OLED display, same as the Google Pixel 2 XL which was prone to burn-in. It has an IP68 water resistance rating.
  5. Nokia 8.3 5G (£300.00) - this phone has the least powerful chipset out of all phones in this list - a Snapdragon 765G, but I think it's still good enough. It claims to support the most 5G bands out of all phones, making it great for roaming. It has a 60Hz non-HDR IPS LCD display, and has no water resistance. The cheapest out of all phones in this list.
* I don't understand why so many manufacturers are getting rid of it. Sure it's slow compared to today's UFS internal storage but I like having the option to expand my storage for cheap. I like having all my photos, videos, music, APKs and other installation files on a removable card for convinience and in case my phone gets broken and I can't recover data from it. I would buy the Google Pixel 5 in an instant if only it had a micro SD card slot.
** Most phones just don't use screws or clips any more, they use adhesive. A stupid design choice IMO. The back plate is glued on in most phones, which I don't mind that much (at least a protective case will keep it on if the adhesive breaks down). But in some (like the Sony Xperia XZ1 compact) the screen is glued on instead. I bought mine used for £100 (1/5th of it's original price) and the screen kept popping off until I was able to fix it. Just imagine if I dropped it one day and the screen goes flying, ripping off the motherboard socket with it. Not good.
*** I have a sony Xperia XZ1 compact with a Triluminos display and it looks magnificent. There's no way I'm going back to ugly SDR displays. I use the camera a lot so I want to make sure my videos look good.

kksent

Feb 7, 2021
Phone for my girlfriend - Budget 150$ - Currently she is using Samsung J3.

So i really want to find something decent for about 150$-200(maxx) for her but i don't know what to choose. She has too little storage what makes her crying (16gb) and sometimes she complains about picture quality.

What the phone needs:

Storage atleast 32gb
SD card slot?
Headphone jack
3gb+ ram
5'' (mightbe slightly more but her hands are tiny)
Not 2nd hand (prefer atleast sort of warranty for her)

I am out of the loop for current phone standards. I am using Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and i am satisfied despite the fact that my internal speaker stopped working after 2 years and can't make calls properly - I would recommend her somekind of Xiaomi but maybe my bad experience should make me change my mind..?

What would you recommend? I guess having android 10+ is difficult but would like to hear your thoughts :D

Last edited:

nihitthakkar

Jan 25, 2021
USA
Today, mobile phones are essential part of our life and to buy one is a very complicated part as there are many options in the market.
Its totally up to the individual person to select the phone for purchase. It is because everyone has different interest and needs.
Purchase the phone that fulfill you needs.

iXaidyiu

Recognized Contributor
Aug 18, 2015
In My Drunk Mess
I have been quite out of the loop of software updating and reviews for phones for now and my now Galaxy S10 has served me for about two years now and the battery really have shrinked a lot and often would die or overheat easily within daytime.

I am now considering moving on to either the Sony Xperia 1 II which I can get my hands on with only around $750 in local stores or the S21 for $650 and $750 respectively on the 8+256GB config for non-plus and plus version locally.

Having said that my question, or drawback, for both sides of the coin is that there is a downgrade in resolution if I go for the S21(+) and possibly lack of a font changer on 1 II, last generation chipset and also possibly a short software support life given the state of Sony is in now.

To be honest I don't think 865 and 888 would be made much of a difference to me and I think the form factor and the look of the Mk.II is really much better than S21. But the lack of font changer (which means stuck with the ugly Roboto) and software support also are very important to me.

Which should I choose or maybe even some of my view made was wrong?

iPuhhh

Jan 28, 2012
Currently I have a honor view 10 for 3 years.
Now I want to buy a new phone for 2-3 years.
I would like a phone up to 750$ with an excellent camera (i'm interested in both photos and videos),
good battery life (to last for the whole day, if there is more, it's great),
120 hertz, bright screen with good resolution,
with good hardware (sometimes I like to play games) and software

Currently I choose between
OnePlus 8 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Galaxy S20 FE

Can anyone recommend something and share their experience of use.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Tsukazu

Mar 22, 2012
Hey, I want to buy 2 phones (1 for me and other for my girldfriend but we share the same requisites so here it goes)

Budget 1000 euros
Main attributes:
- Autonomy (long life battery under use for many many hours) - we dont play games
- Very good camera (I love to take pictures so we want a top camera)
- Speed (a smartphone that we can rely on in 2/4 years)

We have always been using Samsung and we would like to avoid iPhone honestly. I have mac at home for work but I dont want to take advantage of the mac ecosystem because I dont like it at all.
Being very biased the best option I see is the Samsung S21 Ultra 5G since I have discount that I can apply to buy the 256GB model at 950 euros.

Given that what do you think?

The other options I have on the table are:
  • S20 Note Ultra 5G
  • S20 FE 5G
  • OnePlus 9 Pro

Note: I have a Samsung A70 and she has a Galaxy S7.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jan 4, 2014
Hello, my 3 year old Samsung Note 8 got the screen shattered in a corner at work (last year) and I've been using it for 6 months like this but it's very frustrating with all the pieces of glass broken and the aluminium frame crushed with very sharp edge making the phone hard to use at time (I put a film strip on the screen to keep the glass fixed but the frame is still sharp as hell). I was hoping to get at least 4 years out of it after paying 500£ to get it new on grey market (actually I was lied by the seller that's a UK stock when it was actually from UEA market) brand new.

I need to replace it but I don't want to make contracts and the stupid prices of high end phones have gotten ridiculous (more expensive then tablets and laptops, sometimes even combined).
I'm looking st 1 to 2 generations older high end on the used market to lower the cost and keep it on the budget of 500£ with hope of using it for at least 3 more years (with the usually battery change as well, can't expect it to last that long give the phone's already used).

I have narrowed it down (somewhat) to OnePlus 7 Pro (around 400£), Samsung Note 10 Plus (450£), (disgruntley) Google Pixel 4 Xl (400£).
The thing is I find it hard to leave the Note because I love the pen, I use it often for notes, image editing, Excel spreadsheet editing. But the Note 10 Plus already got Android 9 to 10 and (soon) to 11 Update so I don't know if Samsung is willing to give more updates.
OnePlus 7 Pro looks amazing on paper and I would love so much to have that 90 Hz screen, it's the only thing I really feel the desire to have upgrade from the Note 8 (besides battery life). But j am getting tired of curved edge screen (I get so many accidental presses on my Note 8 that I can't even watch YouTube properly, every time I turn the phone to landscape it jumps to a different video).
Google Pixel 4 XL is quite old design by now and the k ly thing going for it (for me) is the 90 Hz screen. And I said disgruntley because I have difficulty trusting Google right now, they dump as many services as they start new ones and the poor showing of attention for Pixel 5 launch (the damn thing got less announcement time then their smart speakers) and troubling hardware QC and failures.

What I need the most from the phone is battery life (I have work shifts of over 12 hours long with commute time), beautiful screen (I'm a very visual person and interest in photography so I consume media), high performance on daily tasks (I don't like slowdowns as I juggle notes, IMs, web reading and YouTube). Cameras are not even a high priority (I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III for that) but they are nice to haves in a pinch (like a proper ultra wide, wide and telephoto lens).

Is it really hard to ask these days for good phone experience at a reasonsable price with a hope of some longevity. I don't like wasting money on unnecessary features or upgrading just to flash out new phones or waste the planets resources.

PS. I tried really hard to justify getting into the iPhone system given that Apple is aiming to convert itself to ARM across the board so apps compatibility would be functionally identical on iPhones, iPads, Macs. But the price of switching everything makes my brain hurt: Note8 to iPhone, Buds Plus to AirPods Pro, Asus Zenbook Pro Duo to MacBook M1 or iPad Pro.

quintapole

Feb 19, 2021
Hey, I am looking to buy an android smartphone for about 200 to 300 Euros (Germany) but the main requirement I have is that it has a LED notification light. I also want to avoid Chinese brands because I am unsure about the Google Play Store situation.

DubbaThony

Aug 19, 2014
Hi all,

My OnePlus 5 (non-T) is getting dated and Im looking into replacements... You could argue it's good enough but chip is not keeping up anymore that well, screen has multiple burnins, I should replace battery and audiojack as that got mildly used up.. I dont think patching it up is worthwhile, so...

Im looking into mission impossible.. Im trying to find old-style new-age phone if that makes sense, let me write down what do I have in mind:

What do I need:
screen - must be AMOLED, 5.7 or bigger, some reasonable resolution if any 90hz+ exists thats sweet bonus (but not strictly speaking a need)
chipset - Im aiming high-end - snapdragons - 865 to 888 or so. Prefered snapdragon over anything.
ram - at least 6 gigs, but preferably more
hard no-go for punchholes / notches
battery must suffice for heavy daily use
internal storage 64 should be enough
Not LG - I had few and at one point or another and each of them was pain in the back in some way.

Stuff that many care about but I literally couldnt care less:
cameras - I dont care, can be even desoldered, zero-argument for me, just signal Im dropping cash into drain (have to pay for that)
screen/body ratio, weight, etc - As long as weight is sub half kilo Im good.
thickness etc. -As long as it's not literall brick that wont fit my pocket Im good (as far as I am concerned 2 sandwitched spica-s are a-OK. No, really. I even appriciate heft of phone but thats just me)

All that is fine and good and easy to find what I would want.. but than goes my requirements that are much harder to hit and for life of me I cant find phone for me with them.. And all of them are basically must-haves:
1. Audio jack. lack of it is strong blocker. usb - audiojack is dirty workaround that I will hate but if Im left with just that... what can I do... Thats actually reason I ask here..
2. No weird stuff like Knox - let me swap my ROM w/o warranty loss. AFAIK only OnePlus and Xiaomi are OK on that territory.
3. Availability of custom stuff - I mean not obscure phone that I wont find proper ROM for. (magisk, xposed, root are must-haves for my daily driving with clear SafetyNet)

Also there is nice to have but I really doubt I can find anything from this day and age that can do this..
virtual or physical buttons (like my oneplus 5 for example). Physical > Virtual > software

TL;DR
Im looking for high end (or top-of-the-line) phone WITH audiojack, and not hostile against rooting / modding manufacturer (warranty) that isn't LG

mangokm40

Jan 13, 2019
Is there ANY phone that has good lineageOS support and will work with TMobile's LTE in the USA? I know we've been warned that our time with 3G is limited.
Thanks for your time.

Piter101

May 17, 2018
Choosing a smartphone for yourself or a loved one is no easy task. You can narrow down your choices by analyzing all considerations you need to confidently choose the best phone.
  • Price range
  • The features you need
  • Which operating system do you prefer
  • What are the most important specs
  • Choose a wireless carrier
  • Pick a service plan
Putting in this research upfront can help put a significant amount of money back in your wallet.

Black_Beards

Oct 17, 2018
My current phone is a pixel 3a that takes amazing pictures.

For this phone this is my wish list

Android
Unlocked
Dual sim
Amazing photos
Ability to add sd card
Good screen
Decent speaker
Rear fingerprint reader

I live in the US but travel often to central and south America

Price between 200 and 250

johnypl

Apr 22, 2014
Im looking for a new device with some specific specs

- no budget limit
- no samsung, NO oneplus
- no amoled (if is the only negative i will can go with this failure)
- 16gb ram
- camera above average is good
- xda support is mandatory
- unlock bootloader without loose warranty
- sd888
- no curved display
- dual sim

Last edited:

sjjtnj

Oct 24, 2020
Henderson
After having a phone I can't unlock or root and on 16gb storage. I'm looking for one I can do all that with. Really I don't care about the rooting and unlocking much If I have plenty of storage. That's my main issue with this phone. I can spend up to $200 and don't want to buy straight from Cricket again, because they disable everything like recovery and fastboot. LG just seems to keep getting stricter too.

So looking to buy unlocked phone on Ebay not LG and not Cricket, but can be used on Cricket. Thinking about these since I like the way they look. Tell me what is better storage, camera, color, speed etc.. I don't care about the phone size much. I just don't want it too big to put in my pocket (Like new IPhones geeze) or too small.

OnePlus 6T 128GB (Refubished)
Samsung Gallaxy S8 64GB (Refubished)
Xiaomi Redmi 9 or 9C 64GB (New)
Xiaomi Poco M3 64GB (New)

Or is there any other good ones you can think of? I just want a good phone that works good with media and games. That I take good quality pictures, edit those pictures, and have enough storage space for apps.