**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

somendra211

May 4, 2021
what phone you should buy it totally depends on the few factor what matters to you while buying a phone:-
Do you wanna use the phone for long term
what is your usage of phone
what kind of work you usually perform on your phone
what matters to you more design, brand loyalty, technologies, or pricing.

these are few factors that you should weigh in your case this will help you to choose the best phone for your requirements.
you can check some of the best devices from Samsung, Xiaomi, Oneplus, Apple, etc.

Reactions: shobhit5

workdrojd

Mar 10, 2019
What phone would you recommend me today for $350? I'm coming from Huawei P30 (accidentally just broke it) and I don't mind gaming performance that much, but I do appreciate a good camera. Realme? Vivo? There are new models all the time and I'm unable to keep up.

Ideas?

Dan33185

May 2, 2014
Could you share the experience so far??
Well, kind of...I had it for about a week and decided it just wasn't for me. It's a nice phone, but it's just so long (tall), and the camera wasn't the best IMO, which is something I had been looking for in an upgrade. It ran really smooth, fast, so it's a nice phone, just not what I was looking for. I ended up going with a S9+, and love it so far. $275 on Swappa, so right in my price range.

lance_gk

May 4, 2021
World is One!
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hey, i am currently looking to replace my old Galaxy S6 with a new phone that I would keep again for many years.
It should cost <= 300€ and have a big community here in XDA because I hope for a long span of custom rom updates (optionally lineageOS updates) and modification possibilities. A newer phone with a growing community would be good too.

The only phone I found that fulfills these requirements is the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC.
However since I want to keep it for a long time, 5G would be good and I wouldn't mind an OLED display too.
Can you recommend me something else?
Recently they launced mi11x mi11x pro(poco F3 in europe) or poco X3 pro, check those out best hardware specs, flash any custom roms you like- will be great in both hardware n software

Brf4n

May 2, 2021
Hi all!

Recently I have purchased the Pixel 4a to root, however I discovered I cannot write to the system folder (I think it has to do with dm-verity, something I have not been able to disable, even after flashing in TWRP the dm-verity disable zip).

I also bought a Moto E 2020 and a Moto G Fast with the same results.

Can anyone recommend a recent phone I can get, preferably from Amazon and also preferably small (like the Pixel 4a), that will let me root and also let me write to the system folder? The only Android device I have is an GPD XD+ which I flashed with CleanROM (rooted) and I can write to the system folder no issue with that. However, I would like a small phone I can root, and write to the system folder.

Thanks all for any suggestions!

(I am also in the process of trying to get my original thread post with this question removed).

anthony90ct

Jan 14, 2015
Sassenheim
Hi everyone,
what phone would you recommend up to 720 euro? I'd like something just a bit better than a Huawei mate 20 pro. Only without notch and with flat screen, 5g connection, 3.5 mm jack audio, loudspeakers and charging jack all separated.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone,
what phone would you recommend up to 720 euro? I'd like something just a bit better than a Huawei mate 20 pro. Only without notch and with flat screen, 5g connection, 3.5 mm jack audio, loudspeakers and charging jack all separated.

xiaomi poco f2 pro

noolyer

Nov 8, 2020
so i am looking to get new tablet after cheep one i got died (a few mouths ago) and i was wandering if anyone had any ideas few of the things i am looking for in it are

andorid 10
has usb c
7-8 in

anyone know of some?

blufade

Sep 24, 2008
Dubai
OnePlus 5
Hi, I am looking to buy a new phone and with all the choices available nowadays, I find it difficult to make up my mind. Here are few that I have shortlisted based on my priorities which are : (1) Lineage OS Official Support or any other degoggled roms ;(2) Capable DAC, AMP & 3.5mm jack able to drive a decent pair of IEMs ; (3) Newer than SD 845 & 8GB RAM or more.

Based on my priorities, I have shortlisted the following phones:
  1. ASUS ROG 5 (very worried about Lineage OS support)
  2. Samsung Galaxy Note 9
  3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ (is this a worthy contender with USB-C to 3.5mm jack ?)
  4. LG V60
  5. Oneplus 8 Pro (is this a worthy contender with USB-C to 3.5mm jack ?)

I hope someone who is on top of their game can shed some insights to the options listed above with respect to my priorities.

Thank you,

Ev0luti0n_

Apr 26, 2008
Portugal
you forgot to specify which Samsung ultra we talking here, so I am going to assume the Samsung s21 ultra. now, between Samsung and oneplus, the first tends to clutter their devices with knox. oneplus heard is easier to mod, plus they come with snapdragon everywhere, not just USA. choosing between 2 flagships is easy, pick the one you like most. both are good, both are expensive. both won't disappoint you.
Thank you for answering. I was referring to the Note 20 Ultra 5G. https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note20_ultra_5g-10261.php That's pretty much the idea i had. My main priorities are Dual SIM (which i haven't understood if oneplus 8 pro is already supporting through the firmware update?) and rooting/modding.

I know that it is possible to root and mod with the Note 20 ultra too, but to what extent i don't know. I assume, much less than OP8 pro? the few peeks i took at it's section here and youtube there didn't seem to be many customs roms versus OP8....

SD card would be nice, as well as the better camera on the Samsung but i can compromise... so i am leaning heavily into the OP8 pro. The negative is that curved display which i don't like. But i think i will get used to it.

Pierre49976

Jun 20, 2019
Hi,
I'm looking for a small phone (4.7 in), with Lineage OS 18.1 Official Support and a good camera for less than 200 €.
What would you choose ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I actually settled on the OnePlus Nord N10 5G, it seems to have everything I need and I can get it directly from my provider so I can make monthly payments. Picking it up tomorrow, so we'll see if it lives up to my expectations. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Could you share the experience so far??
    I am looking for a new tablet, but I have some very specific wishes. I am hoping I can get some tips/advise here for things I've overlooked. Thanks in advance!

What this is for:
    I want this device to sit in the living room exclusively, it will go nowhere else. It requires root for BubblePNP and its AudioCast Exposed module and some other apps which I consider mandatory on Android. It will also be used as remote controller for a network connected audio/video client/server applications on a MediaPC. I'll use it sometimes for generic web browsing stuff as well, or for reading an e-book. It may also connect to bluetooth audio devices such as a DAC, speakers, headphones or headsets and a keyboard.

The device should be more or less:
    - relatively new and fast; snapdragon 650/850 or better, or comparable
    - have 64GB or more storage
    - have 3GB or more RAM
    - Be around 9 or 10" with around 2500x1600 resolution

Now the important stuff:
    - be relatively easy unlockable and rootable with Magisk
    - Have TWRP and custom ROM support (Lineage / AOSP). If the stock ROM can be debloated and/or doesn't get in the way for my use-case, a custom ROM isn't a hard requirement. Root definitely is.

I care about:
    - sRGB or comparable screen mode. Simply put: I like it better and I find it pleasant to work with. Typically, phones and tablet screens are always oversaturated in one way or another, it makes my eyes bleed.
    - Good, stable wifi and bluetooth support, also (especially) when running custom ROM (see "what it is for" below)
    - Allow for customization of background apps to continue to run with the screen off (ie, continue streaming music over the network towards DLNA). A way around this is to leave the screen on and keep it on the charger but I prefer the former.

I care less about:
    - Battery life. It can practically live on a charger but anywhere between several hours and several days is fine.
    - Software features in stock ROM
    - Camera quality or any camera at all
    - Warranty after unlocking
    - Encryption (not required if it helps TWRP or custom ROMs)

Optional read: What I don't want (background for the question and my frustration):
    A Huawei kind of unlockable/rootable device. I just trashed my MediaPad M5 out of frustration. Having to plug in the USB cable with the device powered off, and having to hold down volume up or down while turning the device on and releasing a button at exactly the right time (no one knows exactly when that is though) to get it to boot a magisk patched part of the recovery or whatever it is its booting, is really frustrating. Not to mention there are hardly any (decent and recent) ROMs available, the device seems to loose root at random as well. The stock ROM has problems in my use case too.

Thanks guys! Appreciate any suggestions you have!
    I would suggest waiting for Xiaomi Mi Pad 5. most likely will run snapdragon everywhere, so custom roms are incoming. dont know about Samsung features, but xiaomi has a way to lock apps in background. this way the system doesn't force close it when running out of memory.

no idea why was your Mediapad m5 experience so bad. I own a Mediapad m5 lite, stuck on oreo. had no problem booting generic system images on it. some work, some don't, the experience is relatively OK. I quite dislike that some apps refuse to work with root/unlocked bootloader.
    Hi all, I need advice for buying my next phone. I am coming from a big delusion: Huawei P Smart 2020, a totally unsupported phone, with neither official updates nor bootloader unlocking possibilities, rooting or 3rd-party roms available. Nobody even talks about it on XDA.

I am looking for a new, low budget device, in the range 200-250 EUR, with a good battery life, a decent camera (nothing crazy), 4G, dual sim, fingerprint reader, size around 6"/6.5"(I don't like huge phones). It could also be a second hand device, but still quite recent and with good community support.
    Above all, I want to be able to have fun with it, use Gcam ports, install custom roms, customize it, find support in forums online.

For context, before the Huawei I used to have a Lenovo P2 and I was quite happy with it.

P.S. my market of reference is Europe.

Please share some thoughts and advice. Thanks.
    see xiaomi note 8 pro or 9 pro.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But it seems that they don't support LineageOS, according to what I could find.
    Well, sorry about that, you didn't specify you want lineage os compatibility. here is the list of all lineage os official supported devices https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
    what phone you should buy it totally depends on the few factor what matters to you while buying a phone:-
    Do you wanna use the phone for long term
    what is your usage of phone
    what kind of work you usually perform on your phone
    what matters to you more design, brand loyalty, technologies, or pricing.

these are few factors that you should weigh in your case this will help you to choose the best phone for your requirements.
    you can check some of the best devices from Samsung, Xiaomi, Oneplus, Apple, etc.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone