**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Need answer, my current phone is Vivo V15 and i want to upgrade to Redmi 9, question is should i stick to my Vivo or "It's upgrade time"? I don't really do gaming with phone but every time i do i play Genshin Impact that causing my phone to heat up even on lowest settings. P70 and G80 seems have pretty close performance.
Go for it.

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
Moto G7
so what phone should i get on a budget? im hopeing for 50-100$ (even less would be a bonus if less but it seems they only root the more expensive) i raelly only care about root, being able to use lucky patcher remove bogus permissions (i do not trust th eofficialway) and I want to have 100% control over my device (root will stop it from auto updateing) and i have personal resons for this *caugh covic tracking *caugh*. the google pixel 2 did not do my good, as i could not get it rooted and resulted in a hard brick everytime.

so i DO NOT WANT pixel 2 ( i was able toroot a amazon tableyt easier that that supposed ""easily rootable"" pixel 2)
Lucky patcher is a warez just to let u know

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
Hi,

I've modded an android phone many many years ago and am interested in getting back into it. I work in linux all day for my job, so I'm comfortable in that environment.

I'm looking for an inexpensive android device that has wide community support, as I don't want to be messing around with buggy drivers and mods. I'd like something I can compile from source. I'd like to play around with the code that interacts with the LTE radio and tinker with it. I'm not sure if this means messing around with device drivers or firmware flashing or the operating system itself, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

Any advice? Something cheap would be ideal, since I don't plan on using this as my primary phone.

Thanks in advance.
Pixel 4a 5g maybe? Google I/0 is this coming week, so the 5a should be announced. That might be a good option too.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

tesiz22

May 8, 2021
I had a Galaxy Note 5 and I was pretty damn happy with it. I am even considering to buy the same phone as it’s broken, is this a bad idea? I don’t like the camera notch or curved screens. I like my headphone jack and stylus. Any newer (than 7) Android does not offer anything valuable to me. I use my phone to browse the web, take notes, shoot videos, make phone calls, message on Whatsapp, watch videos using Newpipe. No social media, weird camera apps, or system cleaners. Before it broke two months ago, it was running super smoothly. I never had any lag issues for years. Should I really buy a new phone?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I had a Galaxy Note 5 and I was pretty damn happy with it. I am even considering to buy the same phone as it’s broken, is this a bad idea? I don’t like the camera notch or curved screens. I like my headphone jack and stylus. Any newer (than 7) Android does not offer anything valuable to me. I use my phone to browse the web, take notes, shoot videos, make phone calls, message on Whatsapp, watch videos using Newpipe. No social media, weird camera apps, or system cleaners. Before it broke two months ago, it was running super smoothly. I never had any lag issues for years. Should I really buy a new phone?
Check gsmarena. so far mostly flagships have ditched the headphone jack. most phones with a camera notch do come with an option to hide notch. since you are already accustomed to note 5, this wouldn't bother you that much. if acceptable ads are not too obtrusive, I suggest you get a Xiaomi. I ve got a note 8 pro from xiaomi for almost 2 years. the phone is good, most annoying ads can be turned off, video and camera quality is quite good. overall xiaomi makes good phones for real prices.

I'm currently using a lenovo a536, which I got from my home. It's battery is bad and now I'm trying to buy a new phone. Since I'm from india My budget is approximately 9000 rupees or $123. I'm considering both renewed and new products. My main concern is it must have a greet custom rom support. I'm not concerned of any other spec, need good custom rom support ( i like the oxygen os port roms so mainly I will be installing those and major android upgrades )...
I have looked a bit and I will list some devices that I found - redmi note 5 pro [whyred], redmi note 7/7s [lavender], mi a2 [jasmine sprout], asus zenfone max pro m1, oneplus 3t [64 gb]....

Please trell me what to pick and if and you could suggest more....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance......

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I'm currently using a lenovo a536, which I got from my home. It's battery is bad and now I'm trying to buy a new phone. Since I'm from india My budget is approximately 9000 rupees or $123. I'm considering both renewed and new products. My main concern is it must have a greet custom rom support. I'm not concerned of any other spec, need good custom rom support ( i like the oxygen os port roms so mainly I will be installing those and major android upgrades )...
I have looked a bit and I will list some devices that I found - redmi note 5 pro [whyred], redmi note 7/7s [lavender], mi a2 [jasmine sprout], asus zenfone max pro m1, oneplus 3t [64 gb]....

Please trell me what to pick and if and you could suggest more....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance......
you are on the right path. better go with a Xiaomi mid-range than a older flagship. Nowadays mid-range phones are better than older flagships. if you could get a smartphone with snapdragon, go for it. snapdragon is more custom rom friendly.

Reactions: ahammed_salahuddeen
you are on the right path. better go with a Xiaomi mid-range than a older flagship. Nowadays mid-range phones are better than older flagships. if you could get a smartphone with snapdragon, go for it. snapdragon is more custom rom friendly.
Thanks for your help bro. I considered to buy redmi note 7s [lavender]. Thanks for helping.

edited from now

Bro I became happy about your reply but can anyone help how to look if our phone has a great devoloper base. Is MI A3 [LAUREL SPROUT] A GOOD OPTION....

Last edited:

Alex Perry

May 18, 2021
Hi.

I'm looking for a phone that will be used exclusively as DAP, literally just to listening music with my iems.
I'm tired of DAPs itself with horrible UI and systems, even on the expensive ones.

But, i don't know what kind of hardware to look for, i was thinking about Poco M3 but that thing it's too much for that i think, would be good to save as much money as possible for a such simple device and purpose.

My needs:
- Cheap - $100/$150 range at max.
- SD slot for music library
- Headphone jack
- Battery life
- Easy and friendly custom OS support

Some questions:
Those MediaTek Helio cpus should be enough or should i aim for Snapdragons only?
2GB of ram it's enough? 3GB? or 4GB to be on a safe place for years even for something to just play music?
UFS memory would be a game changer for my case?

Thanks for any help guys.

Edit: Looks like MediaTek it's a no go for custom roms, damn.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2014
Hi, I currently have an s9+ with a shattered back, and If it cost ~ $100 to get that replaced (I'm in the NY metro area), I might as well just get a new phone.

Must have's
Good sound quality for making phone calls
Great battery life
no glass backs!
Good bluetooth support

Nice to have:
Microsd card slot - My music library can get quite large. I think it's currently 20 gigs

At one point I thought it might be nice for the phone to have a great camera, but for what I want a camera for, I can get a used rebel for a decent price. The s9 + has a well above average camera, IMO, for what I use it for, but for the mundane things I use a smartphone camera for, an Average to pretty good camera will be acceptable.

Wouldn't mind moving away from Samsung for awhile. Do their other models all have that stupid glass backing that can shatter quite easily? Really disappointed in Samsung for going with a glass back.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks In Advance For Your Replies.

TeeShark

Jan 25, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Which phone would you buy on a $300 +/- budget? Does not have to be a new model. (See below)

Hi everyone, its time to get a new phone again. I had decided on a refurbed Galaxy Note 9 which was DOA yesterday. I was glad it didnt function properly though because the screen was all scratched up around the outside edge.

I has assumed since I wsa paying close to retail price for the Note 9 (approx. $294) that it would be in better shape. Is this typical of refurbed phones? My 2nd choice was gonna be a new Samsung A71 but I thought the hardware of the Note 9 was worth getting it instead. Most sites online list the Google Pixel 4a as the best phone on a $300 budget. I just figured Google was already intrusive enough as it is without owning a phone made by them. Whats your opinion? I also looked at the Xiacom Redmi Note 9 but Im not sure if buying international phones is just a headache or what? Then there is the fact its a Chinese branded phone but Im sure every cell phone has something from China in it so does it even matter. Oh, Im an AT&T customer... the one thing thats important to me is i just want to be able to install some of my fav android apps which require root/Super_User permissions. I know being an AT&T customer makes that extremely difficult but i dont pay for my cell service so im stuck with them. Thats it in a nutshell. Thanks for the help.

mario0318

Have you guys any thoughts on the TCL 10 and 10L? For around $250 it doesn't look at all bad but I'm not certain it's gonna be a good fit for me with how I'm looking for an easy to mod phone.

Though Id prefer my next purchase to be a 5G phone, the price for unlocked or T-mobile compatible 5G devices that are not flagship or astronomically beyond my $250 budget limit, I'm curious to get your input for the best low to mid range budget phones. I don't care much about camera quality or running any video games. Just a good multitasking phone for the power user.

I saw an earlier post suggest the Redmi 7A which looks very promising in terms of community activity.

ahc10

Jan 17, 2018
Hello,

I want to buy an android device to root it for testing purposes. I am looking for a phone compatible with SuperSu or any easy method (preferably without connecting it to pc).

(I already rooted my Samsung S5 by flashing and the installing magisk).

I don't mind if the device is old, I can buy a used one.

Thank you,
Best Regards

xHvlios

May 10, 2018
Ok so i found out my Oneplus 7T TMobile variant is not compatible with MetroPCS, same with my realme x2 pro.. not compatible. Im looking for something fully compatible but dont really want samsung, lg etc. I would like a realme if i could but i doubt it. budget 500$ or less

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (terrible english ahead, apologies) So my ancient Samsung SM-355M from 2014-2015 died this morning... yeah, thats what i've been using for the last 5 years because i wasn't interested too much in smartphones, it was just a tool for basic stuff like "2-steps verification" for PC software like Steam, phone calls, check the weather and pretty much just that.

Im still hoping that flashing the phone will bring it back to life at least just for the flashlight anyway, not the subject...

Do you guys have any suggestions for a low tier/budget smartphone??? for sure anything new will be far better than my old SM-355M still i'd like to know which smartphone is the best within "lowtier" category.

What about samsung A12 or samsung A21s ? i live in Mexico and the market is infested with Xiaomi and Huawei stuff and some ppl say there are better and cheaper options from xiaomi compared with A12 or a21s, but again im a newbie so i have no idea.
    Taco my main site for phone research is: https://www.gsmarena.com/

Use Phone Finder at the top left above all the phone models.

It might seem kind of flash bang when you load the page but they have so much data on every phone out there and you can do multiple comparisons, I think four phones at a time, of any phone to any other phone. You can search by every factor known to man including price. That's how I found the Galaxy S9 I returned (bought used for $200 bucks) and the Pixel 4a I have now which I love and got used for $300 bucks.
    I replaced my Motorola Moto X4 with a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I don't like it. The volume buttons are unworkable on the left, the Bixby button is annoying (though I did disable it), the "dual speakers" are weak and I can't root it. The size though is pretty nice and the Samsung voice to text is quite good. Anyway I want to replace the S9 with something that suits me better. I picked it up as an unlocked refurbished unit for $196.99 which I thought was a good deal.

I don't care about release year, brand, cores, ram, sim cards, screen resolution, camera or battery. In fact if the networks still supported it I'd go back to my HTC One M8 in a heartbeat.

What I need is a phone with Android, a smaller size, 4G, button placement on right, rootable, good usability and works in the United States on Xfinity (Verizon network). Fingerprint scanner would be nice. I would like to stay under $300 but I could go up to $400 if it's the right phone and I will be seeking a used/refurbished unit if it's available.

I could really use some help as the GSMArena site doesn't filter on phone availability in the USA or let you filter out certain manufacturers. Basically there are way too many to compare quickly. Thank you very much for any opinion or insight.
    not sure what network youre on but my htc one M8 is running just fine (att).
    got it new off ebay for a song. js
    not sure what network youre on but my htc one M8 is running just fine (att).
    got it new off ebay for a song. js

You have it better than me. Verizon wouldn't add my M8 three years ago (in Sept), when I had to order the Moto X4 instead, saying it was no longer supported. I have to say though... you've got me thinking. Thank you for that bit of info.
    You have it better than me. Verizon wouldn't add my M8 three years ago (in Sept), when I had to order the Moto X4 instead, saying it was no longer supported. I have to say though... you've got me thinking. Thank you for that bit of info.
    also i bought it carrier unlocked. if that matters.
    really like the avatar.:good:
    also i bought it carrier unlocked. if that matters.
    really like the avatar.:good:
    Haha I just now and I've probably had that longer than XDA has been around. Steal it by all means. :alien:
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)