• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

dweiks

Feb 3, 2016
hi.
i am looking for a phone has :
1- big battery
2- fast charging
2- really loud speakers !
3- not a punch hole in the middle of the screen . " its ok if its on the side of the screen but not in the middle " . I am ok with normal notch
4- not apple
5- good price
6- 128 gb or more.
7- beautiful screen colors

i don't care about performance . i only use it for social media ,youtube, calls and browsing .

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
hi.
i am looking for a phone has :
1- big battery
2- fast charging
2- really loud speakers !
3- not a punch hole in the middle of the screen . " its ok if its on the side of the screen but not in the middle " . I am ok with normal notch
4- not apple
5- good price
6- 128 gb or more.
7- beautiful screen colors

i don't care about performance . i only use it for social media ,youtube, calls and browsing .
asus rog phone 5 fits all criteria. good price is a subjective matter.

mll2

Nov 23, 2009
Hi guys,
I'm sick and tired of the cycle: buy new - use for some semesters - have an outdated os, or faulty hardware

For one of my kids (but also form me in the short or average term), I'm looking for something:

1. Not too big: 70 145 mm long would be fine
2. With a lasting OS, preferably free. For example, long-term compatibility with LineageOS would be great. But I've also heard of some new system for Google to guarantee a device gets the latest android even if the maker drops updates for it.
3. Second-hand is fine, for ecological and financial reasons. Preference for a proven lasting model (no widespread conception default regarding its components for example), and a replaceable battery would be great to improve life duration.
4. No special needs regarding speed. Not games intended, only phone, surf, messaging apps, and camera/video, Waze, maybe Android auto.
5. Sensible storage size (in the likes of 32 GB) - and an SD card slot (especially for video storage / whatsapp media)

I guess that's about it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi guys,
I'm sick and tired of the cycle: buy new - use for some semesters - have an outdated os, or faulty hardware

For one of my kids (but also form me in the short or average term), I'm looking for something:

1. Not too big: 70 145 mm long would be fine
2. With a lasting OS, preferably free. For example, long-term compatibility with LineageOS would be great. But I've also heard of some new system for Google to guarantee a device gets the latest android even if the maker drops updates for it.
3. Second-hand is fine, for ecological and financial reasons. Preference for a proven lasting model (no widespread conception default regarding its components for example), and a replaceable battery would be great to improve life duration.
4. No special needs regarding speed. Not games intended, only phone, surf, messaging apps, and camera/video, Waze, maybe Android auto.
5. Sensible storage size (in the likes of 32 GB) - and an SD card slot (especially for video storage / whatsapp media)

I guess that's about it. Thanks.
Go with google pixel 4a. Thus ensures you get the latest updates in the matter of the operating system from google. doesn't have micro sd slot, it does have 128 GB of internal storage.

in order to make the phones more streamlined and thinner manufacturers had to remove the option for a replaceable battery. you still can change it, in an specialized service.

Reactions: mll2

mll2

Nov 23, 2009
Go with google pixel 4a. Thus ensures you get the latest updates in the matter of the operating system from google. doesn't have micro sd slot, it does have 128 GB of internal storage.

in order to make the phones more streamlined and thinner manufacturers had to remove the option for a replaceable battery. you still can change it, in an specialized service.
Thanks for your suggestion. AS per my criteria:
1. length 144 mm => Pass
2. OS => officially maintained by LineageOS, even with 18.1. Not officially maintained by /e/ alas. => Pass
3. Not available on the second-hand market. No replaceable battery as you mentioned. also, at about 320 €, it's a bit pricey for me => Fail
4. Specs more than comfortable for my needs => Pass
5. No external storage, however as you said the internal storage is plenty. However, I like to be able to move data manually => Fail

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Thanks for your suggestion. AS per my criteria:
1. length 144 mm => Pass
2. OS => officially maintained by LineageOS, even with 18.1. Not officially maintained by /e/ alas. => Pass
3. Not available on the second-hand market. No replaceable battery as you mentioned. also, at about 320 €, it's a bit pricey for me => Fail
4. Specs more than comfortable for my needs => Pass
5. No external storage, however as you said the internal storage is plenty. However, I like to be able to move data manually => Fail
how about Samsung s7?

Reactions: mll2

Imprezzion

Dec 12, 2011
Gorredijk
OnePlus 8 Pro
I basically want a Poco F3 but with a under screen FP. Simple as that haha.

- Has to have custom ROM support.
- Good battery life.
- No double front camera / big notch. Punch hole is fine.
- Under screen FP.
- SoC doesn't have to be super powerful I only use it for social media / calling / Whatsapp / browsing internet.
- HAS to have 5G otherwise I would have bought a Redmi Note 10 Pro but it only has 4G.
- Sub €500.

Reactions: RRichardBBibbs

moking01

Oct 6, 2016
I'm in to buy a new smartphone in the range of 550-650 us price range. I already purchased the S20 FE and returned it after a week due to how buggy it was so please don't recommend it.

I want something with a very good camera. Is the Mi 11 a good buy in this range?

justAplebe

Jul 3, 2021
LG Stylo 2 Plus
Hi everyone im new to the forums and would like an opinion on what phone to buy. I'm using an old LG Stylo V2 plus with Resurrection Remix and I love it. BUT Tmobile is going to require Volte in the up coming months and that does not work with this phone and ROM. I would like to get something with active ROM development. I dont use GAPPS so that is of no concern. Removable battery and enough processor to possibly run linux would be nice. Stupid Tmobile....

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone im new to the forums and would like an opinion on what phone to buy. I'm using an old LG Stylo V2 plus with Resurrection Remix and I love it. BUT Tmobile is going to require Volte in the up coming months and that does not work with this phone and ROM. I would like to get something with active ROM development. I dont use GAPPS so that is of no concern. Removable battery and enough processor to possibly run linux would be nice. Stupid Tmobile....
removable battery is a very steep requirement nowadays. there aren't that many phones that have this functionality if any.

for the second requirement, there are even smartphones in 2011 that run Linux. with a little bit of tweaking any Linux distro can be run on a smartphone.

also, custom rom support isn't such great feature anymore. unless you care about your privacy, custom roms no longer provide better battery/ performance compared to stock roms.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I'm in to buy a new smartphone in the range of 550-650 us price range. I already purchased the S20 FE and returned it after a week due to how buggy it was so please don't recommend it.

I want something with a very good camera. Is the Mi 11 a good buy in this range?
Well, a good place to start would be gsmarena. see there, input your requirements and see what phones fit those requirements. I can be little to no help since prices in my country could totally differ from yours

bulletfodder

Mar 7, 2010
Help me make up my mind, XDA!

Currently running an LGv30, stock, rooted, debloated.

Looking to upgrade/replace, because of damage.

Located in the US, currently on VZW network with straighttalk, but considering switching to Mint/T-Mobile

Needs:
non-china manufacture (work reasons)
headphone jack,
great battery,
rootable

wants:
AMOLED
sd card
5G
price

Looking pretty hard at the Zenphone 8, but the price point seems to be a little high. Buddy I work with has the Nokia 8.3, but it's huge and has LCD screen. Checks all the other boxes though. Price is kinda high as well.

I'm ok with buying used (most of my phones have been used from swappa)

Any suggestions.

jaed.43725

Nov 2, 2011
Lillington, NC
Help me make up my mind, XDA!

Currently running an LGv30, stock, rooted, debloated.

Looking to upgrade/replace, because of damage.

Located in the US, currently on VZW network with straighttalk, but considering switching to Mint/T-Mobile

Needs:
non-china manufacture (work reasons)
headphone jack,
great battery,
rootable

wants:
AMOLED
sd card
5G
price

Looking pretty hard at the Zenphone 8, but the price point seems to be a little high. Buddy I work with has the Nokia 8.3, but it's huge and has LCD screen. Checks all the other boxes though. Price is kinda high as well.

I'm ok with buying used (most of my phones have been used from swappa)

Any suggestions.
Samsung is about your best bet. Although it's lots of bloatware, you can ROM it.

justAplebe

Jul 3, 2021
LG Stylo 2 Plus
removable battery is a very steep requirement nowadays. there aren't that many phones that have this functionality if any.

for the second requirement, there are even smartphones in 2011 that run Linux. with a little bit of tweaking any Linux distro can be run on a smartphone.

also, custom rom support isn't such great feature anymore. unless you care about your privacy, custom roms no longer provide better battery/ performance compared to stock roms.

It is 100% about privacy. Good news is I found a custom de-bloated stock ROM to at least get VOlte working again. So I'm not in a huge hurry. I know Linux can run on just about anything but usability is key. I don't want to wait 5 minutes for something to load. I don't need Google on my phone I don't use any of their apps or services. If it was not for Tmobile shutting down their older networks I would have just stuck with what I had. There are no custom roms for this phone with working VOlte and no Gapps. Im looking at a oneplus 8 or a pixel something or other. I dont HAVE to have a removable battery but sure would like one.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I want to buy! What I choose bitween M62 or A72??
Or any suggestions between 300$ and 400$ only on samsung!!!
between those 2, I like A72 more since it has 90 Hz refresh rate and under display fingerprint scanner. yet again, do check how responsive is the phone in the store.

or you could wait for the Samsung Galaxy F52 5G. it launches this month, the processor seems better and you get 120 Hz.

I'm looking for a recommendation for an Android tablet. I don't have a strict budget; $3-400 would be fine, I could probably swing $5-600 if there was a good argument for it.

Things I *really* want include
* easy to root
* at least one "big" core (e.g. a Cortex A72, *not* something with only cortex A53's or A55's)
* at least 4GB ram, preferably more
* microSD slot

Nice to have's:
* fully unlock-able bootloader
* video out over USB-C
* decent gaming and emulation performance

I don't really care that much about the screen size, 8-10" would be great, bigger would probably be fine too.

Top Liked Posts

Planning to buy Poco GT X3 but not sure that will I get any custom roms for it because of its processor ie Dimensity 1200 which is made by Mediatek. Should I buy it or not custom roms are must for me. Any help will be appreciated....
    This is not an issue of concern any more because Mediatek has offered open resource structure for all the 5G chipsets now. So you can go for it.
    I'm looking for a recommendation for an Android tablet. I don't have a strict budget; $3-400 would be fine, I could probably swing $5-600 if there was a good argument for it.

Things I *really* want include
    * easy to root
    * at least one "big" core (e.g. a Cortex A72, *not* something with only cortex A53's or A55's)
    * at least 4GB ram, preferably more
    * microSD slot

Nice to have's:
    * fully unlock-able bootloader
    * video out over USB-C
    * decent gaming and emulation performance

I don't really care that much about the screen size, 8-10" would be great, bigger would probably be fine too.
    Well, tablets with Android aren't that good compared to smartphones. usually tablets do come with weaker specs because buyers aren't that interested in. I would suggest the xiaomi mi pad 5, launches at the end of July. most likely will be over 600, but xiaomi does deliver and the tablet most likely would be compared to the iPad in terms of performance.
    Another vote for the oneplus 8t, especially since it doesn't cost as much due to the oneplus 9 being out.
    Planning to buy Poco GT X3 but not sure that will I get any custom roms for it because of its processor ie Dimensity 1200 which is made by Mediatek. Should I buy it or not custom roms are must for me. Any help will be appreciated....
    This is not an issue of concern any more because Mediatek has offered open resource structure for all the 5G chipsets now. So you can go for it.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)