• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

NotASimpleMan

Jul 24, 2021
Hello.

I want to buy new phone, right now i have LG G7.
My budget is 550 euros.

I can buy:
Mi 10 8/256 - 450 euros
Samsung S20 Plus (SD Ver 12/128) - 575 euros

I really like Mi 10 Pro but i cannot find it anywhere in my country. Only Mi 10.
Should i pay extra 125 euros more for S20 Plus?
Or should i buy Mi 10 instead? Or should i buy something else?

I need a good battery, good screen, ok cameras, good perfomances.

Thank you in advance.

jesudas

Mar 16, 2012
Dharwad
Planning to buy Poco GT X3 but not sure that will I get any custom roms for it because of its processor ie Dimensity 1200 which is made by Mediatek. Should I buy it or not custom roms are must for me. Any help will be appreciated....

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Planning to buy Poco GT X3 but not sure that will I get any custom roms for it because of its processor ie Dimensity 1200 which is made by Mediatek. Should I buy it or not custom roms are must for me. Any help will be appreciated....
This is not an issue of concern any more because Mediatek has offered open resource structure for all the 5G chipsets now. So you can go for it.

Reactions: jesudas

JackDCalloway

Hello folks!

I'm using a redmi note 8 pro but I'm looking for something new.
Happy with the note 8 I thought about the note 10 pro.
I was told the Google pixel 5 would be a good phone, plus it has great privacy potential when combined with grapheneOS.

So I'm pretty uncertain, the pixel 5 is pretty pricy but the redmi is said to spy pretty much.

Any suggestions? Also recommendations for other devices are welcome.

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Hello folks!

I'm using a redmi note 8 pro but I'm looking for something new.
Happy with the note 8 I thought about the note 10 pro.
I was told the Google pixel 5 would be a good phone, plus it has great privacy potential when combined with grapheneOS.

So I'm pretty uncertain, the pixel 5 is pretty pricy but the redmi is said to spy pretty much.

Any suggestions? Also recommendations for other devices are welcome.
Even Apple phones spy on the users and while we are living with it, it should not be a concern. Redmi Note 8 Pro was a good performer with Helio G90T chipset if you want something similar to it, Redmi Note 10s or Galafy F22 smartphones are good. But if you want something in 5G, Realme Narzo 30 Pro or Redmi Note 10T are good options.

JackDCalloway

Even Apple phones spy on the users and while we are living with it, it should not be a concern. Redmi Note 8 Pro was a good performer with Helio G90T chipset if you want something similar to it, Redmi Note 10s or Galafy F22 smartphones are good. But if you want something in 5G, Realme Narzo 30 Pro or Redmi Note 10T are good options.
So that spying no concern, nothing you can't fix with debloating and firewalling.
I just compared the mi and redmi note 10. As far as I can see there's not much difference. So I guess I'll be fine with a xiaomi redmi note 10 pro with 8GB of ram. Thanks a lot

ankitgupta01

Account currently disabled
Feb 11, 2021
So that spying no concern, nothing you can't fix with debloating and firewalling.
I just compared the mi and redmi note 10. As far as I can see there's not much difference. So I guess I'll be fine with a xiaomi redmi note 10 pro with 8GB of ram. Thanks a lot
Do not wish to burst that bubble but Redmi Note 10 Pro does not have good reviews and seems to have lagging issues, while MIUI is always a problem. Go for something with clean UI.

RootNightmareX

Jan 7, 2012
These are the options i see:
- Poco F2 PRO (almost identical to my 9t pro but with updates, it still has a jack and pop up camera which are a big +) -
- Poco F3 (I don't really like the camera hole, the fact that it looks cheap and has plastic plus I understood that it would have a camera under poco f2, what I like instead is the screen and cpu sd870 and it is perfectly praised and publicized)
- Oneplus 8 / 8T (seems to be the most premium, big + for oxygenos, as aspects against it is the camera hole and other details I don't really know about it ...)
- Xiaomi MI 10, it looks ok as specs but I don't know many details about it either

What recommendations, tips do you have?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the battery on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is going the way of the Dodo but I'm yet not decided on buying a new phone.

If I'm to upgrade my phone, my two main things are camera and battery life. Regrading cameras, what would be the best phone right now? And I mean picture magic with all the stuff the Mate 20 Pro did to a point a shoot picture and it's AI.

From googling this I come up with plenty of candidates but they are usually ranked by "best natural pictures" and that's not really what I think I'm after.

Oppo x3 Pro and Xiaomi 11 Ultra sound like good candidates, I'm not sure about the "magic" on the Galaxy s21 Ultra or Iphone 12/13, these last seem to go for realistic pictures.
    you could also look for gcam. some gcam ports have more contrast and saturation than others. if gcam will fit the bill, then any phone is OK. battery isn't that important nowadays, 4500 is enough.
    Hello guys,

For Sure you can helo me with my phone question :).
    Currently i have an S8 an the display is broken and it don't get Updates anymore.

Now i'm looking for a new phone until about 500€ and in the Moment i Think the best choose looks like a oneplus 8T, 8 or Nord 2 :) (second Hand about 320€)

Important for me is a good Camera quality and that i can easily Flash a Custom ROM after "out of support" by producer.

Can anyone give me a advice

Thanks in advance
    I would look into getting the Oneplus 8T.

You can also look at Motorola selections as they have an easy process to unlock bootloader once support is done. I believe the Motorola Edge 20 Pro and fusion are coming out.
    I have only ever used Samsung Galaxy series (S3, S5, S7), and usually buy my phones in Europe or Asia and needs the phone to work internationally.

Strictly essential features:

- Needs to be reasonably easily rootable, and come with any features to make that happen (e.g. easily unlockable bootloader etc.). This is the main reason I am looking away from Samsung phones.

- MicroSD card

Very highly desirable feature (I would put it in the absolutely needed if it didn't narrow my options too much):

- IP rating (I use my phones in very wet and cold places - I can seal it in a waterproof bag, but it would be better if I didn't have to)

- Headphone jack

- Large battery capacity

Desirable feature (that I know those are uncommon so I can sacrifice it):

- Two SIM cards slot (on top of the MicroSD.. not that hybrid stuff)

- Removable battery (yeah, a relic of the past - but one can dream)

- Affordable (not looking for flagship kind of phone)

- Screen that isn't massive (e.g. >6.1")

What I do not care about:

- Glass constructions

- Camera quality

- Flagship performance

- Generally speaking anything that isn't mentioned in the previous categories. OS wise, I am not too bothered as long as it isn't ancient.

Even if the phone ideal phone I want doesn't exist, if I'd like to know any company that make phones that at least has the "strictly essential features". If Samsung has many phones that tick quite a few of features that I value, but they aren't as root friendly as I would like.
    The Redmi Note 10 Pro checks most of the boxes:

easy to root (you have to wait 15 days after you bought it)
    dedicated Micro SD
    dual sim
    headphone jack
    IP53
    Affordable - 250€
    huge battery 5020mah

but screen is 6,67" and IP53 means its only lightly waterproof - rain is fine but putting it underwater is not

Since it is a china phone and got launched in the EU it will work basically everywhere.

edit:
    The Oukitel WP series might also be interesting. They are special outdoor phones that should check many of your needs, and they got a battery up to 10.000 mAh. However i do not know how easy they are to root/how well they are supported by the community
    Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

Things that I'm looking for in a new phone are:
    • Battery capacity
    • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
    • Storage space (32GB or higher)
    • Resolution (720p or higher)
    • Size (less than 7")
    RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

Things that I don't care much about are:
    • Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
    • Fingerprint sensors
    • NFC, Infrared, Radio, etc.
    • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
    • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
    • Poco F3 - €305
    • Poco X3 Pro - €185
    • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
    • Samsung Galaxy A52 - €340
    • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
    • OnePlus Nord - €193
    • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
    • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
    • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!
    Poco X3 Pro is what attracts me. Personally, I would have gone for OnePlus Nord but I hear it has no custom roms. Samsung is again another problematic and over-expensive vendor so a no-no for me. Huawei is winding down in support due to restrictions from USA. That leaves Poco, Redmi and Mi.

So now, I need a 3.5 jack and a good battery. I fscking hate its look, but I would anyway put a cover on it so...

EDIT: Nord actually has a lot of custom from support. But Nord 2 doesn't.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)