• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

zyxx

Aug 1, 2021
Huawei Y5 (2017)
What's your opinion on Oppo and Vivo devices? Do you think something like Oppo Reno 6 5G would serve your purpose? Even Mediatek chipsets are custom ROM friendly these days.
With the Oppo Reno 6 5G or the Vivo V21 5G, V21e 5G and X50e I'd lose some future-proofing by not having eSIM.
Hadn't heard of Vivo.
However, neither of these 4 devices is easy to find in my region (i.e. at most just one random online store I wouldn't trust my money to).

However, if I drop eSIM as a requirement, the scope broadens considerably:
  • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
  • Asus Zenfone 7
  • Oppo Find X3 Lite
  • Honor 30 Pro
  • Honor 30 Pro+
  • ZTE Axon 11 5G
  • Sony Xperia 5 II
  • LG V60 ThinQ 5G
Only the first 3 are readily available in my region.

Last edited:

RootNightmareX

Jan 7, 2012
Guys would you chose a POCO F2 PRO over a Poco F3?
If yes, why ?
I really want to buy one of those and F2 PRO seems more appealing to me, considering i'm not that much into the refresh rate "war".

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
What if I want to flash a custom ROM after the warranty? Which phones would be friendlier?
My advice would be not to buy phones based on custom roms availability. Google has taken quite a crack at custom roms in recents years, becoming harder and harder to pass safetynet and to access Google play apps and Google play services. also, Netflix or banking apps tend to stop working once you unlock the bootloader. so you would be given up a lot of apps, in your quest for privacy/ better performance /better battery life. smartphones have come a long way, most stock configurations are quite good nowadays for the average user. also old android versions are good as well. got a Huawei tablet, android oreo, still works good and fulfills everything I decide to do.

Reactions: mobnoob

zyxx

Aug 1, 2021
Huawei Y5 (2017)
My advice would be not to buy phones based on custom roms availability. Google has taken quite a crack at custom roms in recents years, becoming harder and harder to pass safetynet and to access Google play apps and Google play services. also, Netflix or banking apps tend to stop working once you unlock the bootloader. so you would be given up a lot of apps, in your quest for privacy/ better performance /better battery life. smartphones have come a long way, most stock configurations are quite good nowadays for the average user. also old android versions are good as well. got a Huawei tablet, android oreo, still works good and fulfills everything I decide to do.
I have a Huawei that has served me well for the last few years. Unfortunately it's carrier-locked and the manufacturer no longer provides bootloader-unlock codes (they claim security, I say forced obsolescence). The OS provider also doesn't care to upgrade it to the latest OS.

My device has a removable battery, no new phone now has a removable battery (same reason as above).

My device has external storage, nowadays some new devices do, some don't. You can argue my meagre 1GiB of RAM and 8GB of storage pale in comparison to the low end new phones, and you'd be right, but I enjoy the extra system space I get with external storage. Alas, the internal storage space is owned by Google, not me, and the phone is constantly running out of space. I move as many apps to the sdcard as I can, but not all of them allow it and a big chunk of storage is taken up by the system, somehow. And I can't root my device so I can't delete crap like carrier- and Google-apks I don't want.

I recently reset from factory, reinstalled some apps, moved the ones I could to external storage - it's back to being constantly out of space -- the funny twist being that when it does, allegedly, run out of space it shows a pop-up: when it does, it cuts the network connection, be it mobile or wifi, and it shows this pop-up about every 30s.

Yes, even the low end new smartphones are great in terms of hardware, but if I buy one I don't really own it, I'm limited by proprietary hardware (kind of expected but if you compare to a PC things are way more standardized) and, even worse, vendor-locked to the OS I'll have a hard time replacing, in part because of restrictive hardware.

I'd be buying a device I don't actually own, it's ridiculous. I'd like to be able to brick the freakin' thing should I so desire. If that were to void the warranty so be it. Phones should be 100% unlockable at least once the warrranty is over.

So yes, new phones have more oomph than the freaking moon landing equipment but I'd rather bet on a vendor/model that I can keep using in the long run, by flashing a new ROM if I want to.

Sorry for the long rant, I jut very much dislike built-in obsolescence and it's only ever been increasing lately and I feel powerless about it.

So how's Xiaomi in terms or ROMs? Or some other vendor? 'Cos it's getting harder and harder to use "my" Android 5.1 Huawei.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I have a Huawei that has served me well for the last few years. Unfortunately it's carrier-locked and the manufacturer no longer provides bootloader-unlock codes (they claim security, I say forced obsolescence). The OS provider also doesn't care to upgrade it to the latest OS.

My device has a removable battery, no new phone now has a removable battery (same reason as above).

My device has external storage, nowadays some new devices do, some don't. You can argue my meagre 1GiB of RAM and 8GB of storage pale in comparison to the low end new phones, and you'd be right, but I enjoy the extra system space I get with external storage. Alas, the internal storage space is owned by Google, not me, and the phone is constantly running out of space. I move as many apps to the sdcard as I can, but not all of them allow it and a big chunk of storage is taken up by the system, somehow. And I can't root my device so I can't delete crap like carrier- and Google-apks I don't want.

I recently reset from factory, reinstalled some apps, moved the ones I could to external storage - it's back to being constantly out of space -- the funny twist being that when it does, allegedly, run out of space it shows a pop-up: when it does, it cuts the network connection, be it mobile or wifi, and it shows this pop-up about every 30s.

Yes, even the low end new smartphones are great in terms of hardware, but if I buy one I don't really own it, I'm limited by proprietary hardware (kind of expected but if you compare to a PC things are way more standardized) and, even worse, vendor-locked to the OS I'll have a hard time replacing, in part because of restrictive hardware.

I'd be buying a device I don't actually own, it's ridiculous. I'd like to be able to brick the freakin' thing should I so desire. If that were to void the warranty so be it. Phones should be 100% unlockable at least once the warrranty is over.

So yes, new phones have more oomph than the freaking moon landing equipment but I'd rather bet on a vendor/model that I can keep using in the long run, by flashing a new ROM if I want to.

Sorry for the long rant, I jut very much dislike built-in obsolescence and it's only ever been increasing lately and I feel powerless about it.

So how's Xiaomi in terms or ROMs? Or some other vendor? 'Cos it's getting harder and harder to use "my" Android 5.1 Huawei.
fun fact, I was in the same boat you are right now a couple years ago. I had a allview p6 quad, a good mid-range phone when it launched, totally unsupported by anyone. had to totally disable Google play and its services and rely on apkpure for my apps and updates, bought me another year of usage before I give in and bought something else.

second phone was a samsung s6. this one was damn popular when it launched and it still is. quite inexpensive nowadays, you can upgrade the battery and there are a plethora of custom roms, from android 6 to Android 11.

xiaomi is still one of the good vendors out there. they are still sending smartphones to developers before launch, in order to create a custom rom community for that device. in Europe at least, they come with Google contacts and dialer (my favorite), like the pixel. plus their mid range smartphones are priced quite ok, bought mine for 200€. of course, in order to lower the price that much, the phone is filled with ads and pre-installed apps. but everything can be uninstalled or disabled. I would rather take a 10 min tutorial on how to disable everything than spend 500€ on a different device with the same specs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel for CalyxOS - concern about updates.

Hey, I am kind of person that does not like spending loads of money on the phone and I like to keep them untill they break. For example I bought Nexus 4 twice because my screen broke but it lasted years, i bought Redmi Note 4 about 4 years ago, installed LineageOS and the only reason I want to change is again because of screen that broke. Screen failing was entirely my fault and that's not my concern.

The only concern I have is in regards of updates and I realised that every phone I bought was either already out of support or were on the edge and that didn't bother me. Is that an issue?

Both pixel 3 and pixel 4 are nearing the end of support. I was thinking that even though the price is above what I was used to spend on the phone before, the google pixel offers me possibility to flash calyxOS that I am really interested in.

I want to hear your thoughts If i should care more about support and If pixel 4 has more value than pixel 3 when both of them are out of support.
    You should buy a new Google pixel 2 xl (Not refurbishhed) Model 2017 at Amazon for under 150 USD. Also buy military grade case protection for 20 USD so the screen doesn't crack. Then upgrade the phone using a custom ROM. Now you have a state-of-the-art phone with updates and screen protection for under 190 USD.
    My Blu Studio 7.0 on ATT in the USA is getting a bit tired... OK, WAY tired! Especially trying to run current google maps. :)

So, looking for a paperback sized tablet. (7-8 inch)
    It MUST be rootable or alt OS.
    I do need better performance, and wifi.
    I am willing to pay more if it comes from a root friendly company...
    And I also would like to be more current than the android 5 I am running now.

But I absolutely need to be able to remove the less privacy minded apps and the ability to make some of them only run on demand.

Camera and gaming are unimportant. I use it mainly for email, web browsing, maps, and epub reading, but I do have several network related apps on demand.

Price is flexible, but cheaper is better! Does not need to be brand new or latest and greatest. It is just that what I have now can barely run Maps without stutters.
    Check the Lenovo tab m8. Recently it got an android 10 update
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)