• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
ey guys, please be gentle senpai

id like to buy a USED android phone that is supported by at least ubports (UB, i cant find much info regarding kai, sailfish ETC. postmarket (PM) seems way too above my pay grade). the main reason why i want a used phone, is so i can copy the manual building steps, and hopefully recreate it on my current (1 and only) phone. breaking a used phone wouldnt burn me as much.

what im looking for has to have at least;
- android based (IDC min|max OS)
- USB OTG (prolly any phone post A6 right?)
- mainstream supported device (easy to find firmware+recovery)
- with related subforums here

i did fail building UB and PM last year. recovering from PM sent me to a panic as i needed to send it to an official xiaomi store abroad...

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
My advice would be not to buy phones based on custom roms availability. Google has taken quite a crack at custom roms in recents years, becoming harder and harder to pass safetynet and to access Google play apps and Google play services. also, Netflix or banking apps tend to stop working once you unlock the bootloader. so you would be given up a lot of apps, in your quest for privacy/ better performance /better battery life. smartphones have come a long way, most stock configurations are quite good nowadays for the average user. also old android versions are good as well. got a Huawei tablet, android oreo, still works good and fulfills everything I decide to do.
Some people don't really know what they want also they ask too many things from a phone.
I'm still using a Lenovo P2 with Android 6, I never rooted it because there is no reason to do it.
People want the latest BETA Android because they over stress about security BUT then they complain that some phones have the boot locked by factory which is done for security reasons.
Every ROM will always have an issue so there is nothing 100% perfect.
But if they want to play with technology, that is OK for some people to swap ROM, for other people, phone are OK from factory.

Reactions: Fytdyh

Applepear

Jan 15, 2020
IROP
LG G3
T-Mobile LG G3
ey guys, please be gentle senpai

id like to buy a USED android phone that is supported by at least ubports (UB, i cant find much info regarding kai, sailfish ETC. postmarket (PM) seems way too above my pay grade). the main reason why i want a used phone, is so i can copy the manual building steps, and hopefully recreate it on my current (1 and only) phone. breaking a used phone wouldnt burn me as much.

what im looking for has to have at least;
- android based (IDC min|max OS)
- USB OTG (prolly any phone post A6 right?)
- mainstream supported device (easy to find firmware+recovery)
- with related subforums here

i did fail building UB and PM last year. recovering from PM sent me to a panic as i needed to send it to an official xiaomi store abroad...
I would suggest Redmi note 4

cadenabaldovin

Jun 18, 2021
Hi everyone I recently acquired an Oppo Reno 4 pro 5g but seeing the Realme GT 5G and the Poco F3 (and GT version) I'm having doubts if I should give it back and buy the Realme since it has better screen and better processor. I'm a student and I want my phone to help me with my studies and future work once I graduate. I am not a gamer but might be interested in playing PS2 and Gamecube ROMs in my phone in the future. Therefore, which device do you recommend and could you give me your reasons for you recommendation ? I would really appreaciate your help.

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Hi everyone I recently acquired an Oppo Reno 4 pro 5g but seeing the Realme GT 5G and the Poco F3 (and GT version) I'm having doubts if I should give it back and buy the Realme since it has better screen and better processor. I'm a student and I want my phone to help me with my studies and future work once I graduate. I am not a gamer but might be interested in playing PS2 and Gamecube ROMs in my phone in the future. Therefore, which device do you recommend and could you give me your reasons for you recommendation ? I would really appreaciate your help.
The first thing I look at when I buy a new phone is the battery size.
You can have a beautiful and powerful phone but it can become an electronic brick when during the day the battery had enough and the phone switches off.
With modern powerful phones you need a battery with at least 6000mAh which allow you to use the phone for 2 days without recharging it.
Bare in mind that if you recharge the battery everyday, after 2-3 year of use it will loose 30-40 of its original capacity.
What is your budget? When buying phones you have to compare prices because every country or online store have different stock and prices.
Among the phones you suggested the POCO F3 GT has the biggest battery, I would start looking at it in the forums or even in GSMArena

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
the advice my fellow xda member @mobnoob has given is sound, but there is also an alternative. nowadays any mid-range phone packs enough processing power to handle everything except big games. emulators aren't that punishing on a mid range cpu, so those are working on a mid range smartphone. what you could do is investing about 180€ in a mid range smartphone. this one will fulfill every need you have for 2 years. afterwards, your choice : keep using that or buy another 180€ phone. it can be cheaper since you can sell the first one. my recommendation would be xiaomi. they fill their smartphones with ads, in order to lower the price. those ads can be disabled fast, a couple of minutes at most. they have the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: mobnoob

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
my recommendation would be xiaomi. they fill their smartphones with ads, in order to lower the price. those ads can be disabled fast, a couple of minutes at most. they have the best bang for your buck.
I just ordered a POCO (Xiaomi) M3 firstly for its 6000mAh battery but also I get a lot of value for the budget price.
Another selling point for Chinese phones is that you go to Aliexpress and you can buy batteries and screens, you don't deal with an arrogant monopolistic Apple which put codes on the boards that must match with replacing part.
i do quite a lot with the phone, Google Maps, gaming, photo editing, office applications and so on with a Lenovo P2 which is 3 times (Antutu test) slower than the POCO M3 so I guess I will be fine with my new toy :)

foncall

Jan 31, 2011
Not sure whether to ask here or start a new thread. I just got notified by AT&T that my Moto G4 Play won't work on the AT&T network soon (Jan-Feb 22 timeframe, IIRC). As you can tell, it's been a while since I've looked at phones, so I'm at a loss. My current phone is my second Moto G (first a 3 then a 4 Play), and both were recommended here on XDA (again, IIRC). Anyway, rather than just go to the current Moto G, which is a whopping 6.8", I thought I'd see if there is something out there closer to 5". It will definately need 5G capability to be compatible with AT&T next year, and I might as well buy the latest/best processor I can now so I don't have to do this again for a few years. Thanks in advance for your suggestions (including whether this question should go in its own thread). Foncall

Lycidias

Jan 17, 2013
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello,

I am currently using OnePlus 8 Pro. But I am very disappointed because of the lack of TWRP an therefore development.

I'm about to sell my OnePlus and ditch it for a developer friendly phone.

So the question is: Are there any flagships with full/good TWRP support?
Only thing I need besides that is wireless charging and a nice camera and a good CPU.

Thank you!

Applepear

Jan 15, 2020
IROP
LG G3
T-Mobile LG G3
i dont see the redmi note 4 listed under ubports, but i did see the ubports thread on their subforum, it seems dormant.

under the listed supported device, which would be the toughest to break, both soft and hardware?
Well another suggestion, according to ubports, redmi note 7 is one of most supported device it has Snapdragon so flashing isn't risky as mediatek, if you talk about hardware, then I can't say anything, haven't had any of above.

Reactions: fonzacus

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Not sure whether to ask here or start a new thread. I just got notified by AT&T that my Moto G4 Play won't work on the AT&T network soon (Jan-Feb 22 timeframe, IIRC). As you can tell, it's been a while since I've looked at phones, so I'm at a loss. My current phone is my second Moto G (first a 3 then a 4 Play), and both were recommended here on XDA (again, IIRC). Anyway, rather than just go to the current Moto G, which is a whopping 6.8", I thought I'd see if there is something out there closer to 5". It will definately need 5G capability to be compatible with AT&T next year, and I might as well buy the latest/best processor I can now so I don't have to do this again for a few years. Thanks in advance for your suggestions (including whether this question should go in its own thread). Foncall
Firstly it's not easy to read your post so you should learn basic formatting.
Regarding 5G it's a BS marketing practice to attract uneducated buyers.
America kicked China's Huawei 4G (ready to use) out of the country so how they pretend to operate 5G technology that is still under development??
And with AT&T and their monopolistic practices it's not easy to buy a phone out of their business, they intentionally set "restricted" network frequencies so people must buy their overpriced phones and plans.
I suggest you look at another more friendly carrier, check AT&T's prices of phone and plan and compare with another carrier plan but with a phone you buy elsewhere.
AT&T supports their devices no more than 4 years so then you have to buy another phone.
But if you really want to mess with AT&T, I suggest you only care about their 4G network frequencies: AT&T 4G
At GSMArena you can search for the phone of your dreams, here I already set AT&T's 4G network frequencies and a phone with a 5" screen, once there you can "refine" your search and chose what ever you like: GSMArena search result

Reactions: fonzacus

foncall

Jan 31, 2011
Firstly it's not easy to read your post so you should learn basic formatting.
Regarding 5G it's a BS marketing practice to attract uneducated buyers.
America kicked China's Huawei 4G (ready to use) out of the country so how they pretend to operate 5G technology that is still under development??
And with AT&T and their monopolistic practices it's not easy to buy a phone out of their business, they intentionally set "restricted" network frequencies so people must buy their overpriced phones and plans.
I suggest you look at another more friendly carrier, check AT&T's prices of phone and plan and compare with another carrier plan but with a phone you buy elsewhere.
AT&T supports their devices no more than 4 years so then you have to buy another phone.
But if you really want to mess with AT&T, I suggest you only care about their 4G network frequencies: AT&T 4G
At GSMArena you can search for the phone of your dreams, here I already set AT&T's 4G network frequencies and a phone with a 5" screen, once there you can "refine" your search and chose what ever you like: GSMArena search result

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but your post was just what I needed. Used the search tool and it looks like the perfect phone for me is the Samsung Galaxy Xcover FieldPro. Thanks much!

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but your post was just what I needed. Used the search tool and it looks like the perfect phone for me is the Samsung Galaxy Xcover FieldPro. Thanks much!
I'm glad that you found the phone you like.
Be ware that there are two different variants for that phone so check carefully the network bands.
The operative system (Android 8) is a bit outdated but it doesn't matter, I'm still using Android 6 and I never had any issue because I never unlocked the factory boot loader.

Lycidias

Jan 17, 2013
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello,

I am currently using OnePlus 8 Pro. But I am very disappointed because of the lack of TWRP an therefore development.

I'm about to sell my OnePlus and ditch it for a developer friendly phone.

So the question is: Are there any flagships with full/good TWRP support?
Only thing I need besides that is wireless charging and a nice camera and a good CPU.

Thank you!
No developments friendly flagships available? 😅

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
No developments friendly flagships available? 😅
Mate, there are a lot of flagship. you are asking us to search each thread of each flagship to see which has development. this is a easy task. why wait for someone else to do it?

You want a flagship with active development? well Samsung S6 was a flagship and it has active development.

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Oppo Reno 4 pro 5g but seeing the Realme GT 5G and the Poco F3 (and GT version) I'm having doubts if I should give it back and buy the Realme since it has better screen and better processor
Do not go for these devices only because of the better display. I agree that Realme X7 Max or Poco F3 GT which has Dimensity 1200 chipset may sound better, but as a student, think of your needs with the specifications.

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Hello folks!

I'm using a redmi note 8 pro but I'm looking for something new.
Happy with the note 8 I thought about the note 10 pro.
I was told the Google pixel 5 would be a good phone, plus it has great privacy potential when combined with grapheneOS.

So I'm pretty uncertain, the pixel 5 is pretty pricy but the redmi is said to spy pretty much.

Any suggestions? Also recommendations for other devices are welcome.
Install a custom ROM on the Xiaomi.
If you don't know how to, you can ask further.
If you know, make sure to disable android vertified boot for a custom ROM to work which you can also ask further.

Reactions: JackDCalloway

Top Liked Posts

which is the best midrange smartphone to buy in 2021 and have the best custom rom support in long run?
    Redmi note 10 pro
    Haven't had an Android-like device in a almost a decade. Was POed when I went to flash and discovered the fused bootlock on my at the time extremely expensive OG Android Motorola RAZR, and moved over to Apple as they didn't lie about locking everything down and were up front about forbidding mods.

Anyway, looking for

1. CHEAPEST
    2. Completely unlocked and flashable
    3. Can run LineageOS or similar, and run it decently
    4. ATT/TMobile compatible
    5. Prefer smaller screen, 5-6"

This is just as a toy to experiment with, not really wanting quality/features

Some cheap no-name chinese junk I could get off ebay or Amazon for $100-150 would be perfect.
    Might be worth looking into a Pixel / Pixel XL. Picked an XL for $80 recently for the very purpose of experimenting, and found it perfect for the purpose.
    which is the best midrange smartphone to buy in 2021 and have the best custom rom support in long run?
    Redmi note 10 pro
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)