• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I think the battery on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is going the way of the Dodo but I'm yet not decided on buying a new phone.

If I'm to upgrade my phone, my two main things are camera and battery life. Regrading cameras, what would be the best phone right now? And I mean picture magic with all the stuff the Mate 20 Pro did to a point a shoot picture and it's AI.

From googling this I come up with plenty of candidates but they are usually ranked by "best natural pictures" and that's not really what I think I'm after.

Oppo x3 Pro and Xiaomi 11 Ultra sound like good candidates, I'm not sure about the "magic" on the Galaxy s21 Ultra or Iphone 12/13, these last seem to go for realistic pictures.
you could also look for gcam. some gcam ports have more contrast and saturation than others. if gcam will fit the bill, then any phone is OK. battery isn't that important nowadays, 4500 is enough.

LBO6051

Aug 30, 2021
Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

Things that I'm looking for in a new phone are:
  • Battery capacity
  • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
  • Storage space (32GB or higher)
  • Resolution (720p or higher)
  • Size (less than 7")
RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

Things that I don't care much about are:
  • Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
  • Fingerprint sensors
  • NFC, Infrared, Radio, etc.
  • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
  • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
  • Poco F3 - €305
  • Poco X3 Pro - €185
  • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
  • Samsung Galaxy A52 - €340
  • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
  • OnePlus Nord - €193
  • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
  • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
  • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

• Battery capacity
  • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
  • Size (less than 7")
RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

• Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
  • Fingerprint sensors
  • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
  • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

• Poco F3 - €305
  • Poco X3 Pro - €185
  • OnePlus Nord - €193
  • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
  • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!
that xiaomi mi 9t is good. in other markets is sold as redmi k20, which has an impressive collection of custom rom development on this site. so as much future proofing as you can get. now, for durability, every phone is strong enough to resist a 1 meter fall. beyond that, totally a matter of luck. not a single phone is made with the idea that is going to be dropped from the 8th floor.

Hi, everyone!

• Battery capacity
  • Size (less than 7")

• Fingerprint sensors

• Poco F3 - €305
  • Poco X3 Pro - €185
  • OnePlus Nord - €193
  • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
  • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Thanks in forward!
Poco X3 Pro is what attracts me. Personally, I would have gone for OnePlus Nord but I hear it has no custom roms. Samsung is again another problematic and over-expensive vendor so a no-no for me. Huawei is winding down in support due to restrictions from USA. That leaves Poco, Redmi and Mi.

So now, I need a 3.5 jack and a good battery. I fscking hate its look, but I would anyway put a cover on it so...

EDIT: Nord actually has a lot of custom from support. But Nord 2 doesn't.

Reactions: hamzaiqbal111

SultanGris

Mar 8, 2013
Looking for a new phone, currently on Samsung note 9 with broken screen, previous phones have been note 4,3,2, prior to that have been Motorola and BlackBerry. Love the notes but hate the curved screens of the note 9, however the increased CPU and RAM specs of the Samsung's makes the crap curved screen acceptable but it's my least favorite feature by far. I fly UAVs with the phone so good specs are required, 256+sizes are preferred,128 minimum, SD card port preferred, headphone jack preferred.

Seems to me the choices for new phones are pretty bland and crappy compared to where we were a few years ago, their losing features instead of adding new. Somewhat interested in the new Samsung foldable but not quite ready to drop that much cash till they've perfected and improved them a little more.

Right now leaning towards a Samsung S10 plus, or possible a pixel but pixels lower hardware specs scare me for trying to fly my uav, those apps require CPU and RAM like crazy. What do you guys think? Thanks.

d3viou5

Jun 4, 2007
Hey All, been out the loop for a while (went to the dark side for a couple of years) and so my knowledge is a little rusty. I was thinking about the one plus 8 pro but it doesn’t have twrp at the moment and the size of it scared me.

Can you suggest a flasher friendly device? Doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest spec, but I could do with:

good camera preferably with a zoom
Good gcam support
Lots of custom Rom options
Sub 6.5 in screen ideally
Fast enough to use as a solid emulation device

Your thoughts very much appreciated.

vgchat

Mar 24, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Alright, I am wanting to know what my options are for tablets that are under 9 inches. A few things I would like to note are:

*no ipads; I want a android thanks.
*price doesn't matter
*I would prefer one with an octacore processor
*I would like one with 3 or more gb of ram

So, what would you recommend? Right now I've got a galaxy tab a7 lite (32gb rom, 3gb ram), that I'm still deciding on if I want to keep.

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
Hey All, been out the loop for a while (went to the dark side for a couple of years) and so my knowledge is a little rusty. I was thinking about the one plus 8 pro but it doesn’t have twrp at the moment and the size of it scared me.

Can you suggest a flasher friendly device? Doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest spec, but I could do with:

good camera preferably with a zoom
Good gcam support
Lots of custom Rom options
Sub 6.5 in screen ideally
Fast enough to use as a solid emulation device

Your thoughts very much appreciated.
You have a few options,
xiaomi mi 11 lite 5g,
Poco M3 Pro
Motorola Edge S/Moto G100
Realme GT

Not sure of the size of screens on each model, but each have their own community here on xda.

LBO6051

Aug 30, 2021
I've noticed that the newer A52s 5G model was recently released in my country, and seeing the comparisons between it and the regular A52 5G model, I see that they're quite close with A52s being only slightly better with it's improved CPU (Snapdragon 778G vs. Snapdragon 750G), and GPU. Other than that, they're mostly the same.

Now I'm wondering, how does it compare to the Poco F3, and which one would be better value?

I'm shopping for a new phone, and I mostly care about battery life and it's longevity / future-proofing, so specs aren't so much important to me because both phones look great, and I'm pretty sure I would be pleased with both of them so I don't mind if one is weaker than the other.

Camera, Video games, Flashy display are all irrelevant to me.

The only thing that remains different is the price, in which A52s is slightly expensive (~€20) than the F3, and it does come with lower memory and storage (6/128GB vs. 8/256GB), which is something I don't mind because my use case is so minimal.

So, out of these two phones, which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

D0n Quix0te

Sep 13, 2016
Hello everyone. I wanna buy S21 Ultra but its expensive at the moment, so after researching I thought why not go for the s20 ultra instead because its cheaper. It will still get updates for few years. I am a basic user, dont play games at all, but do care about display and camera. I recently used s10 and pixel 4 xl and i was blown away by the s10 display compared to pixel 4 xl. I want a great camera phone as well. But before pulling the trigger, I have few questions and would appreciate if they r answered satisfactorily;

1. Is s20 ultra (Snapdragon) worth it in 2021 over s21 ultra if you take into account the prices?
2. Is the S20 ultra way behind s21 ultra in the camera department?

Shall be grateful for the feedback.

Spaceboy60

Dec 22, 2014
Looking for a phone with the following criteria:

6.5 inch maximum screen size
Under 190g
30 Watt minimum fast charge
microSD support
Headphone jack
90 Hz refresh rate minimum
Decent custom ROM support or likelihood of decent custom ROM in future

~ £420 max

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I've noticed that the newer A52s 5G model was recently released in my country, and seeing the comparisons between it and the regular A52 5G model, I see that they're quite close with A52s being only slightly better with it's improved CPU (Snapdragon 778G vs. Snapdragon 750G), and GPU. Other than that, they're mostly the same.

Now I'm wondering, how does it compare to the Poco F3, and which one would be better value?

I'm shopping for a new phone, and I mostly care about battery life and it's longevity / future-proofing, so specs aren't so much important to me because both phones look great, and I'm pretty sure I would be pleased with both of them so I don't mind if one is weaker than the other.

Camera, Video games, Flashy display are all irrelevant to me.

The only thing that remains different is the price, in which A52s is slightly expensive (~€20) than the F3, and it does come with lower memory and storage (6/128GB vs. 8/256GB), which is something I don't mind because my use case is so minimal.

So, out of these two phones, which one would you recommend?
Go for Samsung. it had micro sd and headphone jack, better usability in the future.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello everyone. I wanna buy S21 Ultra but its expensive at the moment, so after researching I thought why not go for the s20 ultra instead because its cheaper. It will still get updates for few years. I am a basic user, dont play games at all, but do care about display and camera. I recently used s10 and pixel 4 xl and i was blown away by the s10 display compared to pixel 4 xl. I want a great camera phone as well. But before pulling the trigger, I have few questions and would appreciate if they r answered satisfactorily;

1. Is s20 ultra (Snapdragon) worth it in 2021 over s21 ultra if you take into account the prices?
2. Is the S20 ultra way behind s21 ultra in the camera department?

Shall be grateful for the feedback.
Go for S20 Ultra. it has a micro sd slot. as for camera, you could try comparing the cameras between Samsung. or you could get a gcam port and get the best from Samsung and pixels.

Spaceboy60

Dec 22, 2014
Did look at that that but it seems to have had the same custom ROMs for about a year now. Tempted to go for the oneplus CE even though it hasn't got a microSD which is a bit annoying, but the 256gb model would probably be enough for as I'm only using about 110 GB combined micro SD and internal storage of my current phone.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Did look at that that but it seems to have had the same custom ROMs for about a year now. Tempted to go for the oneplus CE even though it hasn't got a microSD which is a bit annoying, but the 256gb model would probably be enough for as I'm only using about 110 GB combined micro SD and internal storage of my current phone.
there is a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". just because there aren't any new roms does not mean the development is been abandoned. latest custom rom runs android 11. google barely had launched android 12.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Was going to go for A52 5g or s20 fe myself. Seems like it's taken an age for any custom ROMs to appear though, still none for either
Well, the oneplus seems to be better supported. the difference between the processors is barely noticeable, the oneplus does has a tad higher fast charging speed. if you are a samsung fan, go with the s20 fe, snapdragon 865 is good.

xenomorph222

Sep 17, 2021
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new Android tablet (10") with a 64 bit OS installed.
Sadly there is very few information available which devices are actually shipped with a 64-bit OS and not only a
x64 CPU running a 32-bit OS. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new Android tablet (10") with a 64 bit OS installed.
Sadly there is very few information available which devices are actually shipped with a 64-bit OS and not only a
x64 CPU running a 32-bit OS. I would appreciate any advice you can give.
may I ask, why do you need a 64 bit android tablet?

as for your answer, the Samsung Tab s6 is running on a 64 bit os.
(https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-galaxy-tab-s6-new-tablet-enhances-creativity-and-productivity/)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel for CalyxOS - concern about updates.

Hey, I am kind of person that does not like spending loads of money on the phone and I like to keep them untill they break. For example I bought Nexus 4 twice because my screen broke but it lasted years, i bought Redmi Note 4 about 4 years ago, installed LineageOS and the only reason I want to change is again because of screen that broke. Screen failing was entirely my fault and that's not my concern.

The only concern I have is in regards of updates and I realised that every phone I bought was either already out of support or were on the edge and that didn't bother me. Is that an issue?

Both pixel 3 and pixel 4 are nearing the end of support. I was thinking that even though the price is above what I was used to spend on the phone before, the google pixel offers me possibility to flash calyxOS that I am really interested in.

I want to hear your thoughts If i should care more about support and If pixel 4 has more value than pixel 3 when both of them are out of support.
    You should buy a new Google pixel 2 xl (Not refurbishhed) Model 2017 at Amazon for under 150 USD. Also buy military grade case protection for 20 USD so the screen doesn't crack. Then upgrade the phone using a custom ROM. Now you have a state-of-the-art phone with updates and screen protection for under 190 USD.
    My Blu Studio 7.0 on ATT in the USA is getting a bit tired... OK, WAY tired! Especially trying to run current google maps. :)

So, looking for a paperback sized tablet. (7-8 inch)
    It MUST be rootable or alt OS.
    I do need better performance, and wifi.
    I am willing to pay more if it comes from a root friendly company...
    And I also would like to be more current than the android 5 I am running now.

But I absolutely need to be able to remove the less privacy minded apps and the ability to make some of them only run on demand.

Camera and gaming are unimportant. I use it mainly for email, web browsing, maps, and epub reading, but I do have several network related apps on demand.

Price is flexible, but cheaper is better! Does not need to be brand new or latest and greatest. It is just that what I have now can barely run Maps without stutters.
    Check the Lenovo tab m8. Recently it got an android 10 update
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)