• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

xenomorph222

Sep 17, 2021

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I'm currently using a Tab A (SM-T590) but I have no experience installing custom roms.

Are there any other tablets that run 64-bit OS?
the tab s6 launched 2 in 2019, you might be able to buy it at second hand prices. essentially, any 32 bit tablet is limited to 4gb of ram. so, any tablet that runs 6 or higher is running on a 64 bit os. most tablets with 6 gigs of ram or higher used to be flagships.

Sep 22, 2021
The smartphone is the heart of the modern world, it's not only essential for communication, it's your entertainment, smart home control devices and your constant companion.

We continually update our best smartphone guide to reflect recent launches and recognize price changes. All of these top flagship phones have also been fully reviewed by us - we don't just include stuff we think sounds good.

If you're in the market for a cheaper phone, then check out our sub-£400 smartphone and budget phone roundups, and consider a SIM-only deal if you're buying your phone outright.

Karol_Wojtyla

Sep 24, 2021
Hello
I search phone for 2 months (I broke my acctualy phone)
I want good battery, and support android auto (I think the old device with custom rom can do this)
My budget is +-140 Dollars
I choise
-Galaxy note 8
-poco f1
-Pixel 2 XL
-Nexus 6

Maybe you can suggest me another devices?

kksent

Feb 7, 2021
Pixel for CalyxOS - concern about updates.

Hey, I am kind of person that does not like spending loads of money on the phone and I like to keep them untill they break. For example I bought Nexus 4 twice because my screen broke but it lasted years, i bought Redmi Note 4 about 4 years ago, installed LineageOS and the only reason I want to change is again because of screen that broke. Screen failing was entirely my fault and that's not my concern.

The only concern I have is in regards of updates and I realised that every phone I bought was either already out of support or were on the edge and that didn't bother me. Is that an issue?

Both pixel 3 and pixel 4 are nearing the end of support. I was thinking that even though the price is above what I was used to spend on the phone before, the google pixel offers me possibility to flash calyxOS that I am really interested in.

I want to hear your thoughts If i should care more about support and If pixel 4 has more value than pixel 3 when both of them are out of support.

Reactions: haden111

SamuelAt

Jun 19, 2019
Hi
I hope this is not a trivial question as I really need some advice in this regard and thank you in advance for your response. I also realize I am on my own and take full responsibility for the outcome. That said; I want a hand set that i can root and flash and build the OS on a Linux box myself. I have done that before for a Samsung Note so I know what I am doing. I am just concerned with running into a specially difficult handset that is locked like Samsung S7 model with Qualcomm chip. I want the phone to support NFC and be supported in the U.S. by at least one carrier. Does not matter who really. I also don't want to pay more than $300 USD. i saw some Galaxy s9 and s9plus that I like. But I am open to other suggestions. Can you suggest any please? I greatly appreciate it.

matt2k12

Jul 13, 2012
Texas
Ok I'll bite.

I've been a member here for many years maybe a decade or more.

Apparently the Note8 is at EOL not because of hardware limitations but because of software and lack of dev community.

So I'm needing a new phone and privacy is of utmost importance. I run several businesses and would like to maintain their autonomy and my privacy throughout the daily process of customer communication, business promotion, business transaction, and personal life.

I've never really been that guy that buys brand new flagships every 6 months because frankly I break phones a lot and frankly I don't need the latest hardware for what I'm doing on a day to day basis.

That being said....

I need something newish and I would like something I can buy unlocked then root and/or flash a non-bloat non-spyware extremely stable and proven rom maybe with a built in VPN or something... Like I said my privacy is of utmost importance at this point in my life, not for nefarious reasons but simply because it's obvious we can no longer trust anyone with our data including cell carriers and ISPs, not to mention Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

I understand that 100% anonymity will never be attainable.

What I would really like is a recommendation of an Android phone (preferably in the note series) that is easily moddable with high privacy software and still powerful enough to do some basic AV editing functions for my business promotion and personal life (4 kids).

Thank y'all for reading and I look forward to any responses. 👌🏿✅💯

KJ7LNW

Jun 20, 2021
Hello all,

My wife's phone just found its way into a lake. We barely got the photos off, but clearly that makes it time for a new phone!

Our needs are simple, here is what I'm looking for:
  1. Works with LineageOS or another reasonably well supported ROM
  2. Working VoLTE support (for AT&T's 3G shutdown) in the ROM from #1
  3. Carrier Unlocked (or unlockable)
  4. root (of course!)
  5. Reasonable camera
Ideas?

Thanks for your help!

samhelsing

Sep 30, 2021
Hi everyone,

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
what about iphone 13 pro?

markbnj

Jun 9, 2009
Moto G 5G
Moto G Stylus
You are totally right, but now to think other way: its easier to carry 7inch than 10inch tablet.

Also forgot to mention I have some problems with eyesight so bigger tablet might also be better choice, But the nexus 7 price really seems like a good selling point. But if the Surface RT will be 200, then I probably going to miss my money too much.
FYI, I've had 10 inch (as well as 7 inch) tablets for at least 6 years. 7 inch is REALLY great if you don't do writing.
my bluetooth keyboard is cramped layout wise.
the 10 incher I had was fantabulous for typing.
And both of them were fine for UPDATING word or excel files.
cheers

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Hello all,

My wife's phone just found its way into a lake. We barely got the photos off, but clearly that makes it time for a new phone!

Our needs are simple, here is what I'm looking for:
  1. Works with LineageOS or another reasonably well supported ROM
  2. Working VoLTE support (for AT&T's 3G shutdown) in the ROM from #1
  3. Carrier Unlocked (or unlockable)
  4. root (of course!)
  5. Reasonable camera
Ideas?

Thanks for your help!
What would be your budget? And do you prefer any specific chipsets like Mediatek or Snapdragon? There are some good Samsung devices that tick all the boxes.

KJ7LNW

Jun 20, 2021
Typically I've been getting something used in the $200-300 range, but I'm pretty open to options. I don't know enough about the chipsets to have a preference, do you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel for CalyxOS - concern about updates.

Hey, I am kind of person that does not like spending loads of money on the phone and I like to keep them untill they break. For example I bought Nexus 4 twice because my screen broke but it lasted years, i bought Redmi Note 4 about 4 years ago, installed LineageOS and the only reason I want to change is again because of screen that broke. Screen failing was entirely my fault and that's not my concern.

The only concern I have is in regards of updates and I realised that every phone I bought was either already out of support or were on the edge and that didn't bother me. Is that an issue?

Both pixel 3 and pixel 4 are nearing the end of support. I was thinking that even though the price is above what I was used to spend on the phone before, the google pixel offers me possibility to flash calyxOS that I am really interested in.

I want to hear your thoughts If i should care more about support and If pixel 4 has more value than pixel 3 when both of them are out of support.
    You should buy a new Google pixel 2 xl (Not refurbishhed) Model 2017 at Amazon for under 150 USD. Also buy military grade case protection for 20 USD so the screen doesn't crack. Then upgrade the phone using a custom ROM. Now you have a state-of-the-art phone with updates and screen protection for under 190 USD.
    My Blu Studio 7.0 on ATT in the USA is getting a bit tired... OK, WAY tired! Especially trying to run current google maps. :)

So, looking for a paperback sized tablet. (7-8 inch)
    It MUST be rootable or alt OS.
    I do need better performance, and wifi.
    I am willing to pay more if it comes from a root friendly company...
    And I also would like to be more current than the android 5 I am running now.

But I absolutely need to be able to remove the less privacy minded apps and the ability to make some of them only run on demand.

Camera and gaming are unimportant. I use it mainly for email, web browsing, maps, and epub reading, but I do have several network related apps on demand.

Price is flexible, but cheaper is better! Does not need to be brand new or latest and greatest. It is just that what I have now can barely run Maps without stutters.
    Check the Lenovo tab m8. Recently it got an android 10 update
    Hi everyone,

Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)