• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshBarnettA2004

Nov 23, 2021
I'm looking for an Android phone. Price is not an issue and I'm willing to pay anything, so there's no limitations on pricing. I'm looking for the fastest and best hardware available with the following features below -

• Newest, best hardware, and fastest Android phone that I can fully control.
  • Able to be rooted and install custom ROMS (to primarily remove bloat) and/or other Linux distro's on it (Ubuntu Touch, Fedora, and others) for helping develop with these open source communities.
  • SD card slot
  • NOT a Google device for further privacy (Pixel, etc...)
Please help me! I've been out of the Android community for about 8 years so I am lost on what to purchase nowadays.

Thanks everyone!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm looking for an Android phone. Price is not an issue and I'm willing to pay anything, so there's no limitations on pricing. I'm looking for the fastest and best hardware available with the following features below -

• Newest, best hardware, and fastest Android phone that I can fully control.
  • Able to be rooted and install custom ROMS (to primarily remove bloat) and/or other Linux distro's on it (Ubuntu Touch, Fedora, and others) for helping develop with these open source communities.
  • SD card slot
  • NOT a Google device for further privacy (Pixel, etc...)
Please help me! I've been out of the Android community for about 8 years so I am lost on what to purchase nowadays.

Thanks everyone!
When you say newest, best hardware you run straight into the variable refresh rate display and 5G issues they're having even with the stock roms. So you know you'll have issues with any custom rom...
The newest and "best" hardware isn't supporting a SD card slot.
In my opinion between Android 11/12 and the available hardware, 2021 has been a horrible year for Android across the board. The outlook for 2022 isn't good.

My solution was to step back and side step the mess and go with proven work horses.
I'm running 2 N10+'s, one on Pie, the new one is running on Q*, but both are stock as they run well.
Being Snapdragon variants they are hard to root and really just not worth the trouble, risk and loss of functionality to root.

After 8 years you have a lot of catching up to do. I did something similar to you 2 years ago coming up from Kitkat to Pie. After Android 10 however the Android OS really imploded... and not in a good way. Radical changes in functionality/usability including scooped storage and forced encryption. If you run any higher than Android 10 it will be a true pain. It's been estimated it will take 2-3 years to straighten out the issues with scoped storage alone, that includes getting 3rd party apps to come into compliance. Even then scope storage will still suck cpu cycles in the name of security... meh.
Pie is still real life secure, no issues unless unless you do something stupid.

*the only reason Q runs well on the N10+ is because Samsung heavily moded Q, adding dozens of small system apks to retain UI functionality. It behaves almost identically to the Pie variant. Power consumption is similar or better than Pie. Scoped storage appears to be inactive in Q at least with older apps... which are still fully compatible.

Akitake

Jan 20, 2018
Hey,

Currently own a Redmi Note 9 (non pro), and decently happy with it.
The screen isn't amazing, the refresh rate is pretty low, but the battery's great and the photos serviceable.
I want to change phones because I recently got a 5G mobile plan, and was looking around at what's available.

I'd like a phone that's fairly recent, will be supported for years to come by custom roms such as LineageOS, maybe even /e/ project, etc..

As for budget, I'd say up to 500€
What phones do you recommend at the moment?
PS: I'm from France.

fredfred41

Mar 27, 2016
agen
Hello

I'm looking for the perfect smartphone for me, to replace my Honor 20.

- Oled flat screen, no curve.

- nfc, double sim.

- the user interface of a "Chinese phone", with the possibility of choosing not to have a drawer, I don't want to have to use an alternative launcher.

- the fingerprint on the side is better but under the screen would not be a dealbraker.

- reasonable price, max 450 usd (400 €), I live in France.

- optional, but it would be nice to have an infrared emitter, wireless charging, 65w charging.

Do you have a suggestion?

Thank you so much.

AntonyMan

Sep 25, 2017
Athens
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I'm searching for a 'low budget' device that can be stable and functional without any google.
I've seen the awesome Pro1-X by XDA and I'm asking for similar project but for 'low budget phones' too.
My Requirements:
  • low budget
  • OS stability, (android like) I always prefer Free Open Source and I think LineageOS it's the most stable.
  • SayfetyNet pass, For web banking apps or online payments etc.
  • Degoogled, Get rid Google totally if it's possible.
    Or at least, avoiding google's tracking and restrictions enforcing, (like) with MicroG. (...)
    F-Droid (FOSS:)is much more than a basic functions app repository for me. (but I need Viber, for example, so APKmirror like and so... or what?)
I 've been rooted my 'low budget' phones before and patched stock rom (using adb, fastboot, magisk, twrp, ect.) and degoogled partly firstly / totally finally but there are a lot of problems about those I mentioned above.
That's the reason
I'm searching for a device that can be stable and functional without any google.
*that's my craziest dream too.

Can anyone help please?
*Sorry for my English. I'm Greek.
*Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dimly0

Nov 29, 2021
Hello.

What do you guys think about Sony Xperia XZ3? it is currently available in my country for a much cheaper price than Xiaomi phones like the Redmi Note 10/10s.

Would you recommend getting the Sony or should I go for the Redmi phones instead?

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
Haven't had an Android-like device in a almost a decade. Was POed when I went to flash and discovered the fused bootlock on my at the time extremely expensive OG Android Motorola RAZR, and moved over to Apple as they didn't lie about locking everything down and were up front about forbidding mods.

Anyway, looking for

1. CHEAPEST
2. Completely unlocked and flashable
3. Can run LineageOS or similar, and run it decently
4. ATT/TMobile compatible
5. Prefer smaller screen, 5-6"

This is just as a toy to experiment with, not really wanting quality/features

Some cheap no-name chinese junk I could get off ebay or Amazon for $100-150 would be perfect.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Haven't had an Android-like device in a almost a decade. Was POed when I went to flash and discovered the fused bootlock on my at the time extremely expensive OG Android Motorola RAZR, and moved over to Apple as they didn't lie about locking everything down and were up front about forbidding mods.

Anyway, looking for

1. CHEAPEST

Some cheap no-name chinese junk I could get off ebay or Amazon for $100-150 would be perfect.
Samsung S6

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hello.

What do you guys think about Sony Xperia XZ3? it is currently available in my country for a much cheaper price than Xiaomi phones like the Redmi Note 10/10s.

Would you recommend getting the Sony or should I go for the Redmi phones instead?
Mostly the Sony is a better deal. But that 3300 mah battery. Only you know if is going to be enough or not. My s6, which had a 2500 mah died after about 4 hours of Sot

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
I'm searching for a 'low budget' device that can be stable and functional without any google.
I've seen the awesome Pro1-X by XDA and I'm asking for similar project but for 'low budget phones' too.
My Requirements:
  • low budget
  • OS stability, (android like) I always prefer Free Open Source and I think LineageOS it's the most stable.
  • SayfetyNet pass, For web banking apps or online payments etc.
  • Degoogled, Get rid Google totally if it's possible.
    Or at least, avoiding google's tracking and restrictions enforcing, (like) with MicroG. (...)
    F-Droid (FOSS:)is much more than a basic functions app repository for me. (but I need Viber, for example, so APKmirror like and so... or what?)
I 've been rooted my 'low budget' phones before and patched stock rom (using adb, fastboot, magisk, twrp, ect.) and degoogled partly firstly / totally finally but there are a lot of problems about those I mentioned above.
That's the reason
I'm searching for a device that can be stable and functional without any google.
*that's my craziest dream too.

Can anyone help please?
*Sorry for my English. I'm Greek.
*Thanks in advance
See xiaomi note 8 pro. It does has a /e custom ROM available

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hello

I'm looking for the perfect smartphone for me, to replace my Honor 20.

- Oled flat screen, no curve.

- nfc, double sim.

- the user interface of a "Chinese phone", with the possibility of choosing not to have a drawer, I don't want to have to use an alternative launcher.

- the fingerprint on the side is better but under the screen would not be a dealbraker.

- reasonable price, max 450 usd (400 €), I live in France.

- optional, but it would be nice to have an infrared emitter, wireless charging, 65w charging.

Do you have a suggestion?

Thank you so much.
See the redmi lineup.

xAxB

Mar 9, 2017

Anyway, looking for

1. CHEAPEST

Might be worth looking into a Pixel / Pixel XL. Picked an XL for $80 recently for the very purpose of experimenting, and found it perfect for the purpose.

Reactions: techenthusiast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got OP6 right now with a bit degraded battery together with Iphone X (which is too boring) so thinking about Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 pro or waiting for 11 pro. What should I do, not really in rush to buy anything..?
    My advice would be to hold this device. No point in changing the device if it's still good. And unless you plan on gifting that iPhone x, sell it. There is no point in keeping something you don't use or need.
    Hmm.. Now I'm more confused
    According to gsmarena site the '11' doesn't have a spec for SD card & a Google search for the specs of it on other sites show differences

91mobiles website states '128gb internal non expandable'

Phonedata site states 'no expandable memory'

Devicespecification site states 'memory cards microSD, microSDhc'

Gizmochina site says 'memory card unspecified'

Phone arena says '128GB non expandable'

Gadgetsnow: 'expandable: yes up to 512gb'

Even tried googling for the manual.. All manuals I've found were 'generic' & those had no mention of 'how to insert sdcard'

I've tried searching xda, since I trust advice here more than anywhere else, but looks like there's no results

So which is it?
    Does it have a SD card slot or not?

At least the note 10 pro manual actually shows the sim tray with a dedicated SD slot
    I think the phone was released only in China for now. Usually there are some differences between global phones/ European phones and China only phones. Wait a bit
    Looking for an easy to root and cheap phone :)
    Need only 4G and 2 or more GB Ram.
    Perhaps one of them?
    Redmi 9a
    Moto E7 Power
    Redmi 4A
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)