**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

juniorhero

Jun 8, 2015
i want to run Android 12 PE GSI, bootloader unlock
(my budget can't afford high end phones like Oneplus, Samsung S series)
should I go for which phone?
redmi 9a
narzo 50a
narzo 30
redmi 10
or something else?

Last edited:

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
At that size range, the best phone you can get nowadays would be the iPhone SE(2022).
To have in my pocket, the IPhone SE would probably be my first choice, but unfortunately I don't trust Apple and their creepy spyware. So my choice is limited to Android with custom OS support which doesn't have GApps included. I'm currently using the last compact flagship phone by Sony which is a 2018 Xperia XZ2 Compact. The battery is not as good as it once was though. For a while, I tried a Pixel 4a and Galaxy S10e which are a bit bigger, but the fat little Sony is really nice to hold.

Fytdyh

i want to run Android 12 PE GSI, bootloader unlock
(my budget can't afford high end phones like Oneplus, Samsung S series)
should I go for which phone?
redmi 9a
narzo 50a
narzo 30
redmi 10
or something else?
While gsi are good for old smartphones, they are not that stable or battery efficient. If you are already in a need for a new smartphone, I suggest checking the xda subforums of every smartphone you re interested in for a dedicated pe custom rom

juniorhero

Jun 8, 2015
which is better for BL unlock & flash custom ROM?
redmi 7
redmi 10
realme 5
While gsi are good for old smartphones, they are not that stable or battery efficient. If you are already in a need for a new smartphone, I suggest checking the xda subforums of every smartphone you re interested in for a dedicated pe custom rom

Totesnochill

Apr 27, 2021
Had Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime (2015) for ages, and want to switch to the newer Samsung phone that has similar "vibe" when it comes to customization and tinkering, i.e:

• Circa 2018-2019
  • Open bootloader,
  • Flashable w/Odin, accessible thru ADB without any extra hoops'n loops
  • Preferably has un/official builds of TWRP. LineageOs, CRdroid, etc
  • Freely detachable battery and Sim
  • Simple enough build that it won't die from slightest water damage (Gprime survived 4 times)
  • Hardware/Camera specs are not critical, but ideally should be above Grand Prime
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
Had Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime (2015) for ages, and want to switch to the newer Samsung phone that has similar "vibe" when it comes to customization and tinkering, i.e:

• Circa 2018-2019
  • Open bootloader,
  • Flashable w/Odin, accessible thru ADB without any extra hoops'n loops
  • Preferably has un/official builds of TWRP. LineageOs, CRdroid, etc
  • Freely detachable battery and Sim
  • Simple enough build that it won't die from slightest water damage (Gprime survived 4 times)
  • Hardware/Camera specs are not critical, but ideally should be above Grand Prime
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!
I recommend an Exynos version of Galaxy S10. It's the global version, not the US version. There is official LineageOS support as well as active development for it on XDA. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/beyondx/

hazote

May 6, 2016
Hi,
actually on a Xperia XZ1 compact,
I'm looking for something new (it seems I will never find a "small" smartphone again...)

Need something without 5G,
working under lineage OS + root

that's all ! (smaller screen is better)

any idea ?
thanks

Reactions: zpunout

Spaceboy60

Dec 22, 2014
I need following:

Below 190g ideally
90hz minimum refresh rate
MicroSD support
Headphone jack
Root/Custom ROM support (or highly likely in future)
£400 maximum price.

Ideas?? I was going to get the r Oneplus Nord CE 2, but one user claimed it was virtually impossible to see custom ROMs in future due to using the mediatek chip. Not sure how true that is though.

Fytdyh

I need following:

Below 190g ideally
90hz minimum refresh rate
MicroSD support
Headphone jack
Root/Custom ROM support (or highly likely in future)
£400 maximum price.

Ideas?? I was going to get the r Oneplus Nord CE 2, but one user claimed it was virtually impossible to see custom ROMs in future due to using the mediatek chip. Not sure how true that is though.
It doesn't really matter what processor it uses. If a phone is popular, it will get custom roms. Sure, snapdragon processors are easier for custom rom devs. But in the end there are snapdragon phones that don't have custom roms. My advice, try using your phone without custom roms. Unless you had a root only functionality, there is really no point in using a custom rom nowadays.

As for a phone suggestion, get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11

Fytdyh

Hi,
I'm looking for something new (it seems I will never find a "small" smartphone again...)

any idea ?
thanks
Smaller screen means less battery, less performance. Also, means less camera prowess, since it doesn't have the space. Smaller phones are becoming extinct because there is really no point in throwing 1000$ on a 4.6 smartphone that has the specs of 2015. As for a smartphone, I suggest the Pixel 2. Seems is still officially supported.

LeshaRB

Apr 21, 2017
Lenovo Legion Duel
I want to change my Lenovo Legion Duel to Vivo X Note

I had no experience with this company before.
The most important question that interests me

Is it possible to put root here?
Can the bootloader be unlocked?
Are there firmware available for free?

Fytdyh

I want to change my Lenovo Legion Duel to Vivo X Note

I had no experience with this company before.
The most important question that interests me

Is it possible to put root here?
Can the bootloader be unlocked?
Are there firmware available for free?
Is there a solid reason why you need root? The bloatware one isn't a solid reason anymore when we are talking about 12 gigs of ram and 256 gigs of storage.

Spaceboy60

Dec 22, 2014
Smaller screen means less battery, less performance. Also, means less camera prowess, since it doesn't have the space. Smaller phones are becoming extinct because there is really no point in throwing 1000$ on a 4.6 smartphone that has the specs of 2015. As for a smartphone, I suggest the Pixel 2. Seems is still officially supported.
Personally I can't stand skins of many manufacturers, one ui miui
It doesn't really matter what processor it uses. If a phone is popular, it will get custom roms. Sure, snapdragon processors are easier for custom rom devs. But in the end there are snapdragon phones that don't have custom roms. My advice, try using your phone without custom roms. Unless you had a root only functionality, there is really no point in using a custom rom nowadays.

As for a phone suggestion, get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11
I prefer custom ROMs less bloatware and features that you don't get on stock ROM, and I always root my phone

haloking

Dec 25, 2021
So I'm looking for a smartphone that would last for few years with minimum or no issues. My criteria and the spec. I look for are:

1. Battery life: A phone that would last +5.5 hours SoT; I'm a casual user just need it for browsing, social media, reading, watching movies, calling.. etc.
  2. Doesn't lag and very good performance.
  3. Very good camera
  4. Affordable; below $400

With my research I found below brands and models but need help to know which is the best fit for me?
Samsung: Galaxy A52 or A52s 5G or A53 or A33

POCO: Poco F3 or Poco x3 pro

Honor: Honor x9 5G or Honor x7 or Honor play6t pro

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
Thanks! S10 slooks like a fitting model, the only concern being Exynos chip. Isn't snapdragon variant of the phone better all-around?
The Exynos variant is well supported by custom ROM development but not the Snapdragon variant. I have an S10e and S10 Plus Exynos. Those phones are both running LineageOS 18.1 which function just as quickly in real life usage as a Pixel 4 I had which is Snapdragon 855 powered (same SoC as the Snapdragon variant Galaxy S10)

Reactions: Totesnochill

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
Hi,

any idea ?
thanks
Keep an eye out for Xperia Ace 3 due to be released in a few weeks. I'm hoping there will be developer interest and become a suitable replacement for my XZ2 Compact which is running LineageOS. Oddly, it is rumoured to have a Snapdragon 888

Reactions: hazote

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi,
    after it seems that my XZ1 compact has slowly died today i need a new one.
    What are the option for me given following specs:

around 4" - 5" Display.
    no bootlock (easy flashable like the SGS4 mini was once)
    min 4g (3G don't work here anymore)
    sd card slot.
    Not a suggestion for a phone, however, ALL my previous phones had SDCards, specifically because I would only consider ones that had one. My current phone does not have an sdcard, but has 128GB internally (previously used a 64GB sdcard between phones). I had times that my 64GB was full. that hasnt happened to me yet with 128GB built in. PS: Pixel 4a. Moral of the story, if 128GB is enough and you dont have specific reasons for an SDCard, open up your options and consider some of the phones with built in massive internal memory.
    Hi Respected XDA-community members

June-2022

------------------------------------------------------
    Note / Serious Concerns in my next purchase:
    Recently,My Redmi note 5 pro got bricked without doing any new thing, and hung on mi bootloop.
    My Redmi Note 5 Pro device was not bootloader unlocked, and after bootloop hung issue,
    it is not even allowing me to flash a device on my own, with so many Xiaomi centric walled garden techniques.
    I have understood from many of our XDA community members that, Xiaomi is not allowing bootloader unlock, without visiting their center and paying.

Based on above ordeal, I need suggestions from community.
    For Below kind of requirements, Please suggest a good Android Phone with below specs.
    1. Freedom to Flash by self, when there is a brick in device
    2. 6 to 8 GB RAM
    3. 128GB ROM
    4. Qualcomm Processor
    5. Must have native Call recording facility

-------------------
    Type Of usage
    -------------------
    --> Many utility apps I need to install
    --> No Gaming at all
    --> Not too much camera usage except urgent documents scans
    --> Good GPS
    --> 5000 mAh battery is plus if it has.

-------------------
    Budget Range
    -------------------
    INR 15000 to INR 20000
    Country India
    Who told you you have to pay to unlock bootloader? Or that Xiaomi isnt allowing bootloader unlocks? Given that Xiaomi is the complete opposite of that. Oh well. Now, every smartphone out there needs to have the developer option OEM unlock activated in order to unlock it. It is not that your phone refused to flash, is a security functionality. How secure would be any phone if it allowed me to dirty flash a rom in order to access your data?

As for a suggestion, see realme gt Neo 2
    But how secure is the graphene os? After all you already unlocked the bootloader. And given that, couldn't a malware app get root access?
    No. Two things to note.
    1. GrapheneOS has been built SPECIFICALLY with security and privacy at front of mind.
    2. Once you flash the ROM (or any custom ROM &/or recovery) , you can re-lock the bootloader.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)