**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
So I'm looking for a smartphone that would last for few years with minimum or no issues. My criteria and the spec. I look for are:

1. Battery life: A phone that would last +5.5 hours SoT; I'm a casual user just need it for browsing, social media, reading, watching movies, calling.. etc.
  2. Doesn't lag and very good performance.
  3. Very good camera
  4. Affordable; below $400

With my research I found below brands and models but need help to know which is the best fit for me?
Don't know about the rest, but poco x3 pro camera is not very good.

baldybill

Aug 8, 2010
Verizon LG G3
LG V20
It's frustrating to find a new phone. I fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy A33 - then I found out that it's not coming to the USA.
Wish I could find a good solid mid-range phone with several updates that's 128GB or more and 6GB or more RAM and all for less than $450.
The Pixel 6a and Galaxy A53 are just a little pricy and are just a little more than I need.
I need it to work on either Verizon or T-Mobile (or both).

Hmmmm

bakarilos

Aug 25, 2021
Hi all! i gues this is the correct forum to post my question and i hope members will give me advice and help.
Current phone: P30 PRO bought in late 2019
what i love about the phone?
- Battery life
-battery charging speed
-software
- Main camera and periscope camera
-price (bought for 500 Euros)
-IP rating

what i didn't like (at least now)
- the display is not bright enough for sunlight
- software support and updates (got one after almost 2 years now)
- the main camera took pics with washed-out colors (though this is my opinion)
- curved edges (had to change tempered glass 4 times (i am clumsy)
-my phone got a bit slow after some time (though probably i should have reset it after a year)
-the camera performance has deteriorated
- the selfie camera was always a bit blurry (for my taste at least)

I need to change my phone now since the microphone works on and off. and I also got bored :(

what is important for me, what I do not care about
- Battery charging speed first and battery life
- Great Main camera performance (i do not use the ultrawide camera)
-Value- I don't care about flagships
-IP rating, i am clumsy
-I never game
- I want good spear loudness
-good support regarding updates-
-the newer the phone the better. i want a 2022 model

as it stands I have found these models that i would like some opinions and other models are welcome too

Realme GT Neo3

Realme 9 Pro+

Samsung Galaxy A73 5G

Fytdyh

Hi all! i gues this is the correct forum to post my question and i hope members will give me advice and help.
Current phone: P30 PRO bought in late 2019
what i love about the phone?
- Battery life
-battery charging speed
-software
- Main camera and periscope camera
-price (bought for 500 Euros)
-IP rating

what i didn't like (at least now)
- the display is not bright enough for sunlight
- software support and updates (got one after almost 2 years now)
- the main camera took pics with washed-out colors (though this is my opinion)
- curved edges (had to change tempered glass 4 times (i am clumsy)
-my phone got a bit slow after some time (though probably i should have reset it after a year)
-the camera performance has deteriorated
- the selfie camera was always a bit blurry (for my taste at least)

I need to change my phone now since the microphone works on and off. and I also got bored :(

what is important for me, what I do not care about
- Battery charging speed first and battery life
- Great Main camera performance (i do not use the ultrawide camera)
-Value- I don't care about flagships
-IP rating, i am clumsy
-I never game
- I want good spear loudness
-good support regarding updates-
-the newer the phone the better. i want a 2022 model

as it stands I have found these models that i would like some opinions and other models are welcome too

Realme GT Neo3

Realme 9 Pro+

Samsung Galaxy A73 5G

Have you tried a factory reset, using a microsd card to store all your data (helps a lot keeping the internal storage free) and a gcam port?

yetanotheranonymous

Apr 26, 2022
I'm looking for an inexpensive used tablet that's rootable, something similar to the Tab A 8.0. Are any of the Tab As OEM unlockable or should I get another tablet entirely?

baldybill

Aug 8, 2010
Verizon LG G3
LG V20
It's frustrating to find a new phone. I fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy A33 - then I found out that it's not coming to the USA.
Wish I could find a good solid mid-range phone with several updates that's 128GB or more and 6GB or more RAM and all for less than $450.
The Pixel 6a and Galaxy A53 are just a little pricy and are just a little more than I need.
I need it to work on either Verizon or T-Mobile (or both).

Hmmmm
Any thoughts on a solid mid-range with 128GB or more, 6GB Ram or more? Compatible with T-Mobile in the USA?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Any thoughts on a solid mid-range with 128GB or more, 6GB Ram or more? Compatible with T-Mobile in the USA?
Pixel 5a

Look for an upcoming sale if the 6a is launched in May. I picked one up for my wife last year at $349 shortly before the 6/6 Pro launch. Even at full price, most people still qualify for Synchrony financing through the Google store.

Reactions: baldybill

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
That's a contender.

Thanks. That's one contender.
Open to other suggestions, too.
Honestly for the price, it's hard to find something just as capable. It's not a flagship by any means, but it has the same SoC as the Pixel 5 with a larger screen, larger battery, and same storage. It doesn't come burdened down by bloat like so many Samsung devices; most of their midrange offerings really suffer in the performance department. I can't speak as to LG or others as I've only used Pixels for the last 6 years or so, but in my experience, you're best served by getting a device with capable hardware and as little OEM bloat as possible.

Master Melab

Jan 26, 2011
Are there any MediaTek smartphones that were released in the last 5 years that do not have a "secured" preloader, meaning the boot ROM does not verify the preloader?

Teraclips

man, my last post here in XDA was like 6 yrs ago. so trying to find a custom ROM for my Samsung Tab S6(WiFi) led me to find out that ROMs for Qualcomm chipsets are almost nonexistance which ironically and bit funny, that wasn't the case back in the days lol (or probably got it all backwards)

with out-of-date info ive been dropping rocks on my feet these past years, so I wanna ask advice going forward when I next upgrade my Tab and phone which chipsets should I want them to be in the event they get dropped out of manufacture updates?
Currently own
Note10+ (N975U1)
Tab S6(WiFi T860)

now i plan to use this a year or two more depending if the batteries manage to hold on or google releases something amazing, yes, im mostly switching them because the batteries dont last as long as they used to. (mostly my phone)
phones im interested: pixel and OnePlus
tabs: Samsung Tabs or a Pixel tab(do they make?)

phone = i dont care for audio jacket, if possible i dont want those ridiculous and humongous camera sensors protruding from the back, i want as much RAM/Storage as possible (im ok as long as it feels like i havent downgraded from my Note10+ i guess) you know i deal with lots of heavy PDF and office files.
unlocked, i always buy them unlocked but this time i dont wanna buy another $1K phone and since Samsung practically killed the Note series im done with them hence why a Pixel looks like a good change

tablet = i still use it a bit for work like my phone when i feel lazy to use my laptop but it is mostly used for entertaining purposes such a reading comics/novels etc

full disclosure though, just last night my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 got one last hail-mary and got an upgrade to Android 12 and One Home 4.1 which was reallly unexpected. My Note10+ still gets security patches monthly(unless they plan to do a big update) and big updates once in a while.

sorry it is a bit longwinded so i wanna thank you all in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Fytdyh

man, my last post here in XDA was like 6 yrs ago. so trying to find a custom ROM for my Samsung Tab S6(WiFi) led me to find out that ROMs for Qualcomm chipsets are almost nonexistance which ironically and bit funny, that wasn't the case back in the days lol (or probably got it all backwards)

with out-of-date info ive been dropping rocks on my feet these past years, so I wanna ask advice going forward when I next upgrade my Tab and phone which chipsets should I want them to be in the event they get dropped out of manufacture updates?
Currently own
Note10+ (N975U1)
Tab S6(WiFi T860)

now i plan to use this a year or two more depending if the batteries manage to hold on or google releases something amazing, yes, im mostly switching them because the batteries dont last as long as they used to. (mostly my phone)
phones im interested: pixel and OnePlus
tabs: Samsung Tabs or a Pixel tab(do they make?)

phone = i dont care for audio jacket, if possible i dont want those ridiculous and humongous camera sensors protruding from the back, i want as much RAM/Storage as possible (im ok as long as it feels like i havent downgraded from my Note10+ i guess) you know i deal with lots of heavy PDF and office files.
unlocked, i always buy them unlocked but this time i dont wanna buy another $1K phone and since Samsung practically killed the Note series im done with them hence why a Pixel looks like a good change

tablet = i still use it a bit for work like my phone when i feel lazy to use my laptop but it is mostly used for entertaining purposes such a reading comics/novels etc

full disclosure though, just last night my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 got one last hail-mary and got an upgrade to Android 12 and One Home 4.1 which was reallly unexpected. My Note10+ still gets security patches monthly(unless they plan to do a big update) and big updates once in a while.

sorry it is a bit longwinded so i wanna thank you all in advance for any help or advice you can give.
For phone, give samsung s22 ultra a look. Is pretty much the succesor of notes series.

For tablet, given that you got an update to android 12, I suggest you just change batteries. If you feel like it's becoming slow, just use a debloating tool

Reactions: Teraclips

SumitB

Mar 14, 2010
Hello All!

I am an Indian residing in India. I am currently holding on to my 4 y/o S9+ with Noble 1.5 ROM. I would have replaced it some months back but I cannot let go of the Call Recorder this phone/ROM offers. Especially the ability to record all calls without any notification to the caller.

The only two gripes I have currently with this setup are the inability to record VoWiFi calls and that most banking apps don't work. I have tried Magisk/Riru/other workarounds. Nothing seems to work for the specific bank apps. Otherwise, this phone is still in relatively good condition other than the screen which goes yellow at times. But this has been happening for over two years now and I have been living with it.

For work related reasons, I need to have a phone which lets me record all calls without any notification. Recording VoWiFi calls has also become a necessary requirement now given that I am now living in an area where the Mobile Signal has a mind of its own. For those who may be interested to know, I run a business which requires me to frequently refer to previous conversations I have had with clients/customers.

I now also feel the need to use Mobile Banking Apps as I am having to travel a lot off late and don't always have access to the computer for banking transactions.

I am looking for recommendations for a new phone which still allows for in-built call recording without any notification. The ability to record all calls is a must. I need to be able to record VoWiFi calls. I don't care about updating system software and if the phone works out of the box to record calls, I will not update or apply security patches. Application updates will be applied as and when necessary.

I won't root this phone so that I can use banking apps.

My budget is 15K INR and is extendable by 2K at most. I need the phone with the biggest screen I can get at this price.

Given the above requirements, I would appreciate if someone can recommend a phone to me.

Thank You!

Teraclips

For phone, give samsung s22 ultra a look. Is pretty much the succesor of notes series.

For tablet, given that you got an update to android 12, I suggest you just change batteries. If you feel like it's becoming slow, just use a debloating tool
Thank you, will make sure to check it out

onmi

May 2, 2022
Just looking for a small phone which was made in the last 3 years. I currently use a Sony Xperia Z3 compact but its starting to slow down. I use it for light web browsing, messaging, calling, and Clash of Clans =) I never really use my phone for more than 6 hours a day. I don't really have a budget, nor do I care about the manufacturer. Just has to be de-google-able. Thanks!

BananaTech

Jul 11, 2016
evant
Hi everyone,

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
that's what I'm wondering is there a phone in the 100-200 dollar range i can root if so what make or model that's ether unlocked or works with visible wireless/Verizon

sabei

Jul 9, 2020
Privacy Centric phone wanted - but still use banking apps.........

Hi, my current phone is rooted and AFWalled to try and maintain some privacy with no Google or Meta onboard at all.

Unfortunately this means banking apps won't work and whereas this was not an issue before I am now moving toward having to use them. Could not get the ones I needed to work with MicroG etc etc.

So what phone would you recommend with the least amount of data slurping - this rules out all Xiaomi phones as far as I am aware even after debloating unless they have changed a lot recently.

Most of the time it will just be switched off.

Ideally dual sim.

Thanks

Fytdyh

Privacy Centric phone wanted - but still use banking apps.........

Hi, my current phone is rooted and AFWalled to try and maintain some privacy with no Google or Meta onboard at all.

Unfortunately this means banking apps won't work and whereas this was not an issue before I am now moving toward having to use them. Could not get the ones I needed to work with MicroG etc etc.

So what phone would you recommend with the least amount of data slurping - this rules out all Xiaomi phones as far as I am aware even after debloating unless they have changed a lot recently.

Most of the time it will just be switched off.

Ideally dual sim.

Thanks
Unfortunately banking apps need the bootloader to be locked. So that means no root or microg. Given that you don't want to be spied by Google and I assume you don't want to be spied by Chinese either, I recommend you get an iPhone.

Fytdyh

Just looking for a small phone which was made in the last 3 years. I currently use a Sony Xperia Z3 compact but its starting to slow down. I use it for light web browsing, messaging, calling, and Clash of Clans =) I never really use my phone for more than 6 hours a day. I don't really have a budget, nor do I care about the manufacturer. Just has to be de-google-able. Thanks!
Check redmi 4a. It has active community development on xda. In that year range, can't really suggest anything. Unless you are familiar with ulefone

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi,
    after it seems that my XZ1 compact has slowly died today i need a new one.
    What are the option for me given following specs:

around 4" - 5" Display.
    no bootlock (easy flashable like the SGS4 mini was once)
    min 4g (3G don't work here anymore)
    sd card slot.
    Not a suggestion for a phone, however, ALL my previous phones had SDCards, specifically because I would only consider ones that had one. My current phone does not have an sdcard, but has 128GB internally (previously used a 64GB sdcard between phones). I had times that my 64GB was full. that hasnt happened to me yet with 128GB built in. PS: Pixel 4a. Moral of the story, if 128GB is enough and you dont have specific reasons for an SDCard, open up your options and consider some of the phones with built in massive internal memory.
    Hi Respected XDA-community members

June-2022

------------------------------------------------------
    Note / Serious Concerns in my next purchase:
    Recently,My Redmi note 5 pro got bricked without doing any new thing, and hung on mi bootloop.
    My Redmi Note 5 Pro device was not bootloader unlocked, and after bootloop hung issue,
    it is not even allowing me to flash a device on my own, with so many Xiaomi centric walled garden techniques.
    I have understood from many of our XDA community members that, Xiaomi is not allowing bootloader unlock, without visiting their center and paying.

Based on above ordeal, I need suggestions from community.
    For Below kind of requirements, Please suggest a good Android Phone with below specs.
    1. Freedom to Flash by self, when there is a brick in device
    2. 6 to 8 GB RAM
    3. 128GB ROM
    4. Qualcomm Processor
    5. Must have native Call recording facility

-------------------
    Type Of usage
    -------------------
    --> Many utility apps I need to install
    --> No Gaming at all
    --> Not too much camera usage except urgent documents scans
    --> Good GPS
    --> 5000 mAh battery is plus if it has.

-------------------
    Budget Range
    -------------------
    INR 15000 to INR 20000
    Country India
    Who told you you have to pay to unlock bootloader? Or that Xiaomi isnt allowing bootloader unlocks? Given that Xiaomi is the complete opposite of that. Oh well. Now, every smartphone out there needs to have the developer option OEM unlock activated in order to unlock it. It is not that your phone refused to flash, is a security functionality. How secure would be any phone if it allowed me to dirty flash a rom in order to access your data?

As for a suggestion, see realme gt Neo 2
    But how secure is the graphene os? After all you already unlocked the bootloader. And given that, couldn't a malware app get root access?
    No. Two things to note.
    1. GrapheneOS has been built SPECIFICALLY with security and privacy at front of mind.
    2. Once you flash the ROM (or any custom ROM &/or recovery) , you can re-lock the bootloader.
    Hi everyone,

Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)