General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

5746_RTS

Sep 20, 2019
Hi All!
I need to upgrade my phone to a 5G compatible phone. since my carrier (Tmobile) has been sending me messages saying July 1, my phone will no longer work on their system. I have been using Lineage Discovery 19 on a Sony Xperia Xa2 Ultra (H3223).

What is the best 5G phone that will work on a secure/private custom ROM? I would love suggestions! I do use the camera quite a bit, and use the phone for note taking and with business. Privacy is important.
Thank you in advance!

muhschaf

Dec 23, 2009
Hamburg
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
hi,
after it seems that my XZ1 compact has slowly died today i need a new one.
What are the option for me given following specs:

around 4" - 5" Display.
no bootlock (easy flashable like the SGS4 mini was once)
min 4g (3G don't work here anymore)
sd card slot.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
hi,
after it seems that my XZ1 compact has slowly died today i need a new one.
What are the option for me given following specs:

around 4" - 5" Display.
no bootlock (easy flashable like the SGS4 mini was once)
min 4g (3G don't work here anymore)
sd card slot.
Not a suggestion for a phone, however, ALL my previous phones had SDCards, specifically because I would only consider ones that had one. My current phone does not have an sdcard, but has 128GB internally (previously used a 64GB sdcard between phones). I had times that my 64GB was full. that hasnt happened to me yet with 128GB built in. PS: Pixel 4a. Moral of the story, if 128GB is enough and you dont have specific reasons for an SDCard, open up your options and consider some of the phones with built in massive internal memory.

Master Melab

Jan 26, 2011
Are there any newer MediaTek devices that do not have secure boot enabled? As in, the preloader does not need to be digitally signed.

marriedman

Feb 21, 2014
Greetings all!

I can't believe I have come to the point where I need help deciding on a phone. I used to be up-to-date on everything, but there is literally so much out there now and I have so much going on personally, I just can't keep up. I am a long time Android user (since the early days of CyanogenMod) and I have always favored the Nexus/Pixel lines as well as the OnePlus phones. Ease of rooting is paramount to me. I usually get used flagship phones since they tend to have the best support here on XDA. I really like phones that people tinker a lot with.

I currently have a Pixel 3 and I loved this phone. Now however the data/charging port has become finicky. I cannot get a full charge, copy data to and from it, and AndroidAuto keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I've worked around it with wireless charging and KDEConnect for data transfers. Now the battery is just not as strong as it once was and I have to charge it 3 times a day.

My MUST HAVE needs are relatively modest:
  1. Root access - I mean, this is probably a given for all of us.
  2. Linux friendly - I have no access to a Windows computer. From what I have read, some phones require a Windows computer and a proprietary software to unlock and root.
  3. Aftermarket ROMS - Dirty Unicorns was my preferred ROM, but I have been on Lineage for the past year.
  4. AFFORDABLE! I have two teenage daughters and a wife. They're killing me people! So lets say $300 absolute max budget.
  5. T-Mobile network - I live in the US and T-Mobile is my provider.
My WOULD LIKE needs are getting harder to find:
  1. Good low light camera - It has to be on par with the Pixel 3 camera. I wouldn't think this is a tough thing to beat since my phone came out in 2018.
  2. 3.5mm headphone jack - even though I use it less and less, I do find many times that I wish my Pixel had it. I have a really old phone that I only use as a MP3 player when mowing grass or on the motorcycle.
  3. 16:9 Aspect Ratio - This just seems to fit comfortably in a front pocket. I don't carry a attache case or backpack. I don't want to have a 20:9 phone digging into my leg when I sit down.
  4. SDCard - I haven't had this in years, but with my data port problems, I wish I had it. If not, I can continue doing the wireless transfers/backups overnight.
I am not a gamer, unless you count Pinochle or the match 3 jewel games you play on the toilet. I don't watch movies often, just when on a treadmill. More often than not I have access to chargers most of the day, so monster battery life is not vital.

I hope that is enough information, I've never asked for help in choosing a phone before. I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

**EDIT**
I almost forgot! I really do not like the curved edges on many phones. While not a deal breaker, I honestly hate curved displays and much prefer flat. I also do not care if there are visible bevels. My phone is always in a case with raised edges to protect the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: saurabhchavan134

saadtarik

Jun 10, 2022
Glasgow
Hi guys, Im looking to buy either Poco f3 or Mi 11 lite 5g NE but not sure which one to go for. Im getting both at same price.

I like mi 11's sleek design and i'm not a hardcore gamer. I do like tinkering with my phone and want to try custom roms on which ever phone i get. Any suggestions on what i should go for ?

Tuddynumnums

Aug 25, 2021
So I tend to buy phones mostly for portable games and emulators so I can play things like C&C, the entire point is im trying to ditch the S5 for something new thats around 200-350$CAD and Battery life while gaming is a huge deal and possibly easily replacable batteries so I can carry extras with android 12 at least and obviously a headphone jack.

NeoSonic

Jul 2, 2015
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a device for me? The charging port on my device has broken so I need something new ASAP.

I'm looking for something in the £200-£250 price range, could be tempted to £300 at a push.

Any device with 5G, USB C & a 3.5mm jack will do.

My main goal is to have a device that is rootable & actually supported with custom roms to be able to future proof it.

There are a few devices out there that fit the bill from Oppo & Xiaomi like the Redmi Note 10 Pro & such but I'm struggling to find anything about custom roms on the devices that I have found.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fytdyh

Hi Respected XDA-community members

June-2022

------------------------------------------------------
Note / Serious Concerns in my next purchase:
Recently,My Redmi note 5 pro got bricked without doing any new thing, and hung on mi bootloop.
My Redmi Note 5 Pro device was not bootloader unlocked, and after bootloop hung issue,
it is not even allowing me to flash a device on my own, with so many Xiaomi centric walled garden techniques.
I have understood from many of our XDA community members that, Xiaomi is not allowing bootloader unlock, without visiting their center and paying.

Based on above ordeal, I need suggestions from community.
For Below kind of requirements, Please suggest a good Android Phone with below specs.
1. Freedom to Flash by self, when there is a brick in device
2. 6 to 8 GB RAM
3. 128GB ROM
4. Qualcomm Processor
5. Must have native Call recording facility

-------------------
Type Of usage
-------------------
--> Many utility apps I need to install
--> No Gaming at all
--> Not too much camera usage except urgent documents scans
--> Good GPS
--> 5000 mAh battery is plus if it has.

-------------------
Budget Range
-------------------
INR 15000 to INR 20000
Country India
Who told you you have to pay to unlock bootloader? Or that Xiaomi isnt allowing bootloader unlocks? Given that Xiaomi is the complete opposite of that. Oh well. Now, every smartphone out there needs to have the developer option OEM unlock activated in order to unlock it. It is not that your phone refused to flash, is a security functionality. How secure would be any phone if it allowed me to dirty flash a rom in order to access your data?

As for a suggestion, see realme gt Neo 2

Fytdyh

Hi, could you please suggest new phone to replace my old Xiaomi Mi A1.
Usage:
  • primary - web, messengers, music
  • secondary - video watching, camera, GPS
Desired requirements:
  • ~350$
  • good battery life
  • 6GB RAM or more
  • Enough performance for my usage for 2-3 years - so I assume phone released this year (2022)
  • Not too bulky
  • 3.5 mm jack
  • Nice to have custom roms
  • Nice to have call recording
Thank you in advance.
Redmi note 11 pro

Fytdyh

Hello, I've previously asked about a phone to choose, after a long research (I'm interested in AR and the tool Depth API) I'm between two options:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10
Pros:
  • More RAM at the same price (as promotion)
  • More feedback by the users
Cons:
  • MIUI (and things like publicity in system apps and, if I'm correct, you must create a Mi account to use it as develop purposes)
  • Issues with proximity sensor

Motorola Moto G51
Pros:
  • Native Android OS
  • Better performance (Antutu result)
Cons:
  • Mostly the price (Moto G51 4 GB RAM is pretty close to Redmi Note 10 6 GB RAM)
As I said, I wanna try AR development and maybe play some VR things (is not the best but is better than nothing) and it's around my budget range.

Which one do you think is better for AR/VR?
Go for motorola

Fytdyh

I have a Galaxy S21 Plus for nearly 1.5 years and a couple of months back a vertical green bar appeared. Yesterday, another one appeared so in thinking, this is gonna progress. Screen replacement cost is 17000₹. So I'm thinking about getting a new one instead.

My only requirement is a good camera on the unit. Processing power or screen doesn't matter (my S21+ has stayed at HD resolution 60Hz since purchase). I wanted Pixel 6 but it isn't available in India officially and Google's service is sketchy. I've been thinking either Vivo X70 Pro or Vivo X80 (not pro). I can go up to Xiaomi 12 Pro but I don't see much difference between the in terms of photos. Please suggest any other phones too in 40k-60k range if more suitable.
You could also try getting a mid range one and use a Google camera port. Saves quite a bit on the cash and you get a very good camera.

Fytdyh

Hi All!
I need to upgrade my phone to a 5G compatible phone. since my carrier (Tmobile) has been sending me messages saying July 1, my phone will no longer work on their system. I have been using Lineage Discovery 19 on a Sony Xperia Xa2 Ultra (H3223).

What is the best 5G phone that will work on a secure/private custom ROM? I would love suggestions! I do use the camera quite a bit, and use the phone for note taking and with business. Privacy is important.
Thank you in advance!
Great security and privacy? Go with an iPhone. These are the best at this. A custom rom is a less secure choice, even compared with a stock ROM.

Fytdyh

Greetings all!

I can't believe I have come to the point where I need help deciding on a phone. I used to be up-to-date on everything, but there is literally so much out there now and I have so much going on personally, I just can't keep up. I am a long time Android user (since the early days of CyanogenMod) and I have always favored the Nexus/Pixel lines as well as the OnePlus phones. Ease of rooting is paramount to me. I usually get used flagship phones since they tend to have the best support here on XDA. I really like phones that people tinker a lot with.

I currently have a Pixel 3 and I loved this phone. Now however the data/charging port has become finicky. I cannot get a full charge, copy data to and from it, and AndroidAuto keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I've worked around it with wireless charging and KDEConnect for data transfers. Now the battery is just not as strong as it once was and I have to charge it 3 times a day.

My MUST HAVE needs are relatively modest:
  1. Root access - I mean, this is probably a given for all of us.
  2. Linux friendly - I have no access to a Windows computer. From what I have read, some phones require a Windows computer and a proprietary software to unlock and root.
  3. Aftermarket ROMS - Dirty Unicorns was my preferred ROM, but I have been on Lineage for the past year.
  4. AFFORDABLE! I have two teenage daughters and a wife. They're killing me people! So lets say $300 absolute max budget.
  5. T-Mobile network - I live in the US and T-Mobile is my provider.
My WOULD LIKE needs are getting harder to find:
  1. Good low light camera - It has to be on par with the Pixel 3 camera. I wouldn't think this is a tough thing to beat since my phone came out in 2018.
  2. 3.5mm headphone jack - even though I use it less and less, I do find many times that I wish my Pixel had it. I have a really old phone that I only use as a MP3 player when mowing grass or on the motorcycle.
  3. 16:9 Aspect Ratio - This just seems to fit comfortably in a front pocket. I don't carry a attache case or backpack. I don't want to have a 20:9 phone digging into my leg when I sit down.
  4. SDCard - I haven't had this in years, but with my data port problems, I wish I had it. If not, I can continue doing the wireless transfers/backups overnight.
I am not a gamer, unless you count Pinochle or the match 3 jewel games you play on the toilet. I don't watch movies often, just when on a treadmill. More often than not I have access to chargers most of the day, so monster battery life is not vital.

I hope that is enough information, I've never asked for help in choosing a phone before. I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

**EDIT**
I almost forgot! I really do not like the curved edges on many phones. While not a deal breaker, I honestly hate curved displays and much prefer flat. I also do not care if there are visible bevels. My phone is always in a case with raised edges to protect the screen.
Why not go for a midrange smartphone? Got headphone jack, got micro sd, use gcam port for low light photography. Go for a Oneplus nord Ce 2

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Great security and privacy? Go with an iPhone. These are the best at this. A custom rom is a less secure choice, even compared with a stock ROM.
He did say a "secure / private custom ROM" which I would assume he means something like GrapheneOS, iPhone are definitely not "The Best", especially regarding Privacy. Also, if you Jailbreak an iPhone, security goes down the drain, which is what most people complain about Android security, as custom ROMs normally go hand-in-hand with rooted devices, and iPhone is much less involved with custom ROMs.
Hi All!

Thank you in advance!

Fytdyh

He did say a "secure / private custom ROM" which I would assume he means something like GrapheneOS, iPhone are definitely not "The Best", especially regarding Privacy. Also, if you Jailbreak an iPhone, security goes down the drain, which is what most people complain about Android security, as custom ROMs normally go hand-in-hand with rooted devices, and iPhone is much less involved with custom ROMs.
But how secure is the graphene os? After all you already unlocked the bootloader. And given that, couldn't a malware app get root access?

Reactions: saurabhchavan134

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
But how secure is the graphene os? After all you already unlocked the bootloader. And given that, couldn't a malware app get root access?
No. Two things to note.
  1. GrapheneOS has been built SPECIFICALLY with security and privacy at front of mind.
  2. Once you flash the ROM (or any custom ROM &/or recovery) , you can re-lock the bootloader.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

marriedman

Feb 21, 2014
Why not go for a midrange smartphone? Got headphone jack, got micro sd, use gcam port for low light photography. Go for a Oneplus nord Ce 2
Thanks for replying! I am not opposed to a midrange phone, however flagship phones tend to have a larger developer community and a greater chance of having a root solution & custom rom.

That phone you recommended doesn't seem bad, but with a MediaTek processor it isn't likely to get custom roms. From what I can tell, that phone is a Europe/UK phone too.

Fytdyh

Thanks for replying! I am not opposed to a midrange phone, however flagship phones tend to have a larger developer community and a greater chance of having a root solution & custom rom.

That phone you recommended doesn't seem bad, but with a MediaTek processor it isn't likely to get custom roms. From what I can tell, that phone is a Europe/UK phone too.
I ve got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 pro. Running mediatek. It got around 40 roms and 2-3 custom kernels. That might be an Europe phone only. No idea what smartphone selection is available/isn't available for Americans.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)