**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

marriedman

Feb 21, 2014
Greetings all!

I can't believe I have come to the point where I need help deciding on a phone. I used to be up-to-date on everything, but there is literally so much out there now and I have so much going on personally, I just can't keep up. I am a long time Android user (since the early days of CyanogenMod) and I have always favored the Nexus/Pixel lines as well as the OnePlus phones. Ease of rooting is paramount to me. I usually get used flagship phones since they tend to have the best support here on XDA. I really like phones that people tinker a lot with.

I currently have a Pixel 3 and I loved this phone. Now however the data/charging port has become finicky. I cannot get a full charge, copy data to and from it, and AndroidAuto keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I've worked around it with wireless charging and KDEConnect for data transfers. Now the battery is just not as strong as it once was and I have to charge it 3 times a day.

My MUST HAVE needs are relatively modest:
  1. Root access - I mean, this is probably a given for all of us.
  2. Linux friendly - I have no access to a Windows computer. From what I have read, some phones require a Windows computer and a proprietary software to unlock and root.
  3. Aftermarket ROMS - Dirty Unicorns was my preferred ROM, but I have been on Lineage for the past year.
  4. AFFORDABLE! I have two teenage daughters and a wife. They're killing me people! So lets say $300 absolute max budget.
  5. T-Mobile network - I live in the US and T-Mobile is my provider.
My WOULD LIKE needs are getting harder to find:
  1. Good low light camera - It has to be on par with the Pixel 3 camera. I wouldn't think this is a tough thing to beat since my phone came out in 2018.
  2. 3.5mm headphone jack - even though I use it less and less, I do find many times that I wish my Pixel had it. I have a really old phone that I only use as a MP3 player when mowing grass or on the motorcycle.
  3. 16:9 Aspect Ratio - This just seems to fit comfortably in a front pocket. I don't carry a attache case or backpack. I don't want to have a 20:9 phone digging into my leg when I sit down.
  4. SDCard - I haven't had this in years, but with my data port problems, I wish I had it. If not, I can continue doing the wireless transfers/backups overnight.
I am not a gamer, unless you count Pinochle or the match 3 jewel games you play on the toilet. I don't watch movies often, just when on a treadmill. More often than not I have access to chargers most of the day, so monster battery life is not vital.

I hope that is enough information, I've never asked for help in choosing a phone before. I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

**EDIT**
I almost forgot! I really do not like the curved edges on many phones. While not a deal breaker, I honestly hate curved displays and much prefer flat. I also do not care if there are visible bevels. My phone is always in a case with raised edges to protect the screen.
Just in case anyone is interested in a follow-up to my post because of similar situation - I ended up buying a Oneplus 8T refurb. It's a name I know and I have an excellent track record with them. I did not get my "Would Like" list, but that's why it called a "would like"! There is currently a lot of 8T's on ebay so the prices were nice and competitive. I got the 12GB RAM/256GB storage version for well under my budget.

I had seriously considered the Oneplus 6T because of the crazy support it still has and the 3.5mm jack, but they are still going for about what I paid for the 8T. The Samsung S20 FE was also a consideration, but prices were just too high and I never did find a root method that didn't require Windows.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my question!

Miaua

Jul 10, 2022
I have plan to buy Realme 9 Pro+.
It has Android 12, Dimensity 920 cpu and Sony IMX766 main sensor.
Can someone verify if HedgeCam 2 works on it? I mostly take 7 shot exposure brackets in DNG, will it work? The default camera app has fastest shutter speed 1/8000. What is actually fastest shutter speed? My Nokia 6.1 goes up to 1/108790 sec which is good for bright clouds in HDR.

ParrSt

Apr 23, 2011
Euless
I have loved Samsung for a LONG time. Well when they stopped being developer friendly, I grew sourer on them. I just got my wife an S10 and I can't even add an SD card to it. I am done with Samsung. Can anyone recommend a developer friendly phone that easily allows custom ROMs to be installed? I don't want to break the bank and don't need a top end phone, just don't know what is out there anymore. I typically find a ROM I like and stick with it. I have a Galaxy not 8 with a 2 boot-loader but am starting to get notices that my version of android will no longer be supported.

Thanks.
Bob

Reactions: galaxys

Fytdyh

I have loved Samsung for a LONG time. Well when they stopped being developer friendly, I grew sourer on them. I just got my wife an S10 and I can't even add an SD card to it. I am done with Samsung. Can anyone recommend a developer friendly phone that easily allows custom ROMs to be installed? I don't want to break the bank and don't need a top end phone, just don't know what is out there anymore. I typically find a ROM I like and stick with it. I have a Galaxy not 8 with a 2 boot-loader but am starting to get notices that my version of android will no longer be supported.

Thanks.
Bob
See Xiaomi. Their redmi series are affordable and custom ROM supported

Reactions: ParrSt

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

Thanks.
Bob
some phones will be easier to install custom ROMs, however, remember, that newer versions of android are more difficult, not just Samsung. I have a Pixel 4a, and there is no stable TWRP for the device, which used to be the vehicle to easily install customs ROMs. Pixel devices are usually heavily supported by the dev community, but not so much on this one, and people are now moving onto the pixel 6 :(

Although I wouldn't say there are a heap of custom ROMs for it, you only need to find one good one, unless you are a flashaholic. I got it as it was basically a cheap Samsung S10e; which I was eyeing for a while, but could not justify the price.

Last edited:

mon0theist

Hello all,

I've got a LG V30+ that seems to be on it's last days, so I'm trying to figure out what I should get as a replacement.

My biggest concern is getting something with an unlockable bootloader, is rootable, and has a decent selection of custom ROMs. I realize this seems to be getting less common as time goes on.

In terms of hardware performance, camera, etc. as long as it's an upgrade from the V30+ I'm fine with it. I greatly prefer an SD card slot as well.

I was thinking perhaps the Exynos variant of the Note 10+ (SM-N975F/DS specifically) since it's officially supported by LineageOS, but I'm not sure if I can get one in the US. Even though I'm in the US I prefer to get the Global Unlocked variants of phones whenever possible.

Is there a better choice than the SM-N975F/DS?

Thanks in advance

Jhyrachy

Dec 5, 2011
Hello!
I have a Xiaomi Mi9T (not pro).
His battery is almost dead and since changing it will cost me ~50€ (I paid the phone 300€ in 2019) I was thinking of changing it instead.

My budget is ~350/400€.
I was watching the Motorola Edge 30 (360€), but I would like something with a "good" (for this price range) camera.
I was also checking the Samsung A53s (~350€), but I read mixed reviews.

others suggestions?

Reactions: saurabhchavan134

AsaSpades

Jun 29, 2008
Hartford, CT
Hey everyone, I need a little insight. Sorry for the long post. So I've been a member of the XDA forums since Android first came out but have not been as active recently. I have always rooted my devices, but of course as phones become more locked down every year, it has become more and more difficult. I am currently on an overseas version of the Galaxy S9+ that I use in the US on Verizon. It is rooted and has an unlocked bootloader. Since it's not a 5G phone, by next year, I will need to upgrade to a 5G device. What are my options for root able devices that I can still unlock the bootloader for? I was considering or hoping to order a carrier unlocked Hong Kong or Korean Note 20 Ultra or S21 Ultra and use it on the US Verizon network but then found out that the 5G bands are different and I wasn't sure if the bootloader would already be locked. So now I have been considering the Pixel 6 Pro or the One Plus 10 Pro but if I purchased either of those from the manufacturer as a carrier unlocked phone, would I still be able to get 5G on Verizon? What are my options for good devices that can still be rooted and hopefully get the bootloader unlocked? I know root isn't as useful as it used to be but I'm stuck in my ways. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Fytdyh

Hello all,

I've got a LG V30+ that seems to be on it's last days, so I'm trying to figure out what I should get as a replacement.

My biggest concern is getting something with an unlockable bootloader, is rootable, and has a decent selection of custom ROMs. I realize this seems to be getting less common as time goes on.

In terms of hardware performance, camera, etc. as long as it's an upgrade from the V30+ I'm fine with it. I greatly prefer an SD card slot as well.

I was thinking perhaps the Exynos variant of the Note 10+ (SM-N975F/DS specifically) since it's officially supported by LineageOS, but I'm not sure if I can get one in the US. Even though I'm in the US I prefer to get the Global Unlocked variants of phones whenever possible.

Is there a better choice than the SM-N975F/DS?

Thanks in advance
Would suggest Xiaomi, but I don't know how available is that in states. See motorola moto g100

Fytdyh

Hello!
His battery is almost dead and since changing it will cost me ~50€ (I paid the phone 300€ in 2019) I was thinking of changing it instead.

My budget is ~350/400€.
I was watching the Motorola Edge 30 (360€), but I would like something with a "good" (for this price range) camera.

others suggestions?
Xiaomi poco f4

Fytdyh

Hey everyone, I need a little insight. Sorry for the long post. So I've been a member of the XDA forums since Android first came out but have not been as active recently. I have always rooted my devices, but of course as phones become more locked down every year, it has become more and more difficult. I am currently on an overseas version of the Galaxy S9+ that I use in the US on Verizon. It is rooted and has an unlocked bootloader. Since it's not a 5G phone, by next year, I will need to upgrade to a 5G device. What are my options for root able devices that I can still unlock the bootloader for? I was considering or hoping to order a carrier unlocked Hong Kong or Korean Note 20 Ultra or S21 Ultra and use it on the US Verizon network but then found out that the 5G bands are different and I wasn't sure if the bootloader would already be locked. So now I have been considering the Pixel 6 Pro or the One Plus 10 Pro but if I purchased either of those from the manufacturer as a carrier unlocked phone, would I still be able to get 5G on Verizon? What are my options for good devices that can still be rooted and hopefully get the bootloader unlocked? I know root isn't as useful as it used to be but I'm stuck in my ways. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Is there a specific reason why you need root? Some utility or some apps that you didn't find a non root replacement? Have you tried Shinzuku? (https://www.xda-developers.com/shizuku/?)

AsaSpades

Jun 29, 2008
Hartford, CT
Is there a specific reason why you need root? Some utility or some apps that you didn't find a non root replacement? Have you tried Shinzuku? (https://www.xda-developers.com/shizuku/?)
Thanks for the reply. I am dead set on keeping root if I can. I have already considered not having it but there are apps and utilities that I use that require it, and I love being able to edit almost anything. Practical? Not really nowadays but hey, that's me. Unfortunately I'm not interested in trying Shinzuku which is why I posted on this thread for opinions on which phone to buy, not to be deterred into something else.

saurabhchavan134

Jul 10, 2016
Hello!

My budget is ~350/400€.

others suggestions?
Hi,
Please update this thread if you find anything. I too have similar requirements as yours. My primary requirements is good gcam support for a phone in budgetish-midrange category (lower the price rhe better). And secondary is good custom rom support.

Jhyrachy

Dec 5, 2011
Hi,
Please update this thread if you find anything. I too have similar requirements as yours. My primary requirements is good gcam support for a phone in budgetish-midrange category (lower the price rhe better). And secondary is good custom rom support.
I ended up buying the Samsung S21FE 6/128Gb because it was on sale for 399€

3 major android version and 5 years of security update are so good for that price

Reactions: saurabhchavan134

ajmc1

Jan 30, 2013
Hi could someone pls suggest which phone should i buy?
Rs.31482/- iqoo neo6
Rs.35757/- mi 11t pro
Rs.35793/- samsung s20 fe

diana11

Oct 17, 2014
Hi, my phone is a note8. I use the stylus a lot for writing (studying languages and math).

But I'm tired of bad battery life. Anyway, the battery of my note8 is practically over and I need a new phone.

My needs in order of priority:
1) the best battery life + fast charging combo.

2) Good for running tomb raider games with PPSSPP emulator.

3) good for writing (if I use a stylus, that it is responsive to it)

4) less than, say 1000 euros. Not refurbished, as I'm afraid a refurbished phone will already have decreased its battery life.

Thank you for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I ended up buying the Samsung S21FE 6/128Gb because it was on sale for 399€

3 major android version and 5 years of security update are so good for that price
    the phone is still new, give it a few months. for sure official twrp will drop. and about those bugs, seem the worse of them had been fixed. afterall, this is the latest pixel flagship, i expect by the end of the year it would be a very good functional phone.

Good point, it's a bit newer than I though— and it fits the bill, thank you!
    The 6 Pro looks amazing, but I was under the impression the 6 & 6 Pro had a lot of hardware bugs?

And apparently there's no TWRP fir the 6/6 Pro, either?
    the phone is still new, give it a few months. for sure official twrp will drop. and about those bugs, seem the worse of them had been fixed. afterall, this is the latest pixel flagship, i expect by the end of the year it would be a very good functional phone.

I bought a Pixel 4a a few years ago, partly because i believed it would have the best dev support; such as TWRP. Still to this day there is no fully functional TWRP. Part of the problem I think is caused by the constant upgrades and associated changes to the software, associated with new android versions applied to pixel devices. Living on the bleeding edge is a double edged sword.
    Moderator Announcement

Thread has been cleaned from off-topic posts or more precisely the last eight posts. The subject of this thread is "**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy?". If you like to discuss topics like rooting, back-ups etc. I'm convinced there're already suitable threads available to do this. I appreciate your understanding.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    Hi guys, I’m looking for a phone for travel purposes. The main priority is to have an excellent camera for shooting some memorable travel photos and videos. My max budget would be 500 Euros but the cheaper the better. I might even consider buying second hand/refurbished. I’m not into gaming so the performance doesn’t matter much.

My current phone measures at 156.7 x 78.8 x 8.1 mm (6.17 x 3.10 x 0.32 in) and the new phone should be roughly the same or slightly smaller.

Must have:
    -excellent camera (also in low light and zoom)
    -good battery life
    -dual SIM
    -headphone jack (I might reconsider though)
    -fingerprint scanner

Would like:
    -SD card slot
    -call recording
    -long term OS updates and/or custom ROM friendly
    -decent repairability (esp. battery replacement)
    -water and dust resistant
    -maybe 5G for future proofing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    You won't get SD card support, but you'll get everything else you mentioned with a Pixel 5. It still has over a year of updates coming and has 128gb of internal storage, so not having expandable storage/SD card support shouldn't be an issue. You can pick one up for less than $200USD (I just looked and found a couple for $160)
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)