**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Hello members,

New here, i am looking for a phone to root. Im lookimg on ebay for a sub $50 phone in below average to average condition that can be rooted off the bat.

Im reaching out to see if anyone has recommendations?

Im understanding so far to avoid carrier locked phones. It seems mostly oneplus or pixel phones will work but it seems that not every phone can have its bootloader unlocked.

Just looking for advice and tips.

I have rooted an s6 or s7 before but that was years ago and idk where that phone is now
Hello and good morning, @s00bz

Welcome to XDA. I hope you'll always find and get the solution you require.

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved your post to

Thanks for your cooperation!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke

s00bz

Sep 27, 2022
Hello and good morning, @s00bz

Welcome to XDA. I hope you'll always find and get the solution you require.

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved your post to

Thanks for your cooperation!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Thanks Oswald

sliwka_

Mar 5, 2022
Hi, my phone broke recently, and i've been looking for a new one that's somewhat affordable, can run Lineage AND be rooted. I couldn't really find a good one, since i am avoiding Chinese manufacturers. My only options are Samsung phones, which are either cheap and underpowered, or expensive (and i've heard they are a pain in the ass to root), or some phone from the Pixel lineup. Some of my options include: Samsung S10, Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, Pixel 5. I don't really care about performance that much, i just want it to be better than the Kirin 710 in my Huawei P Smart 2019. Also a high refresh rate would be nice.

Does anyone own one of these phones (or maybe a different one), and can confirm that Lineage and root work perfectly? Also a tutorial would be nice, since i couldn't find any for rooting and installing Lineage at the same time. It was just one of these.

zainbintariq1122

Nov 3, 2014

Best supported phone to buy to learn Android kernel?​

I am an embedded Linux developer and now trying to learn Android Kernel development as a hobby. I know from the ROOT community that there are sometimes certain phones considered to be "favourites" among developers, and they build a lot of custom ROMs and Kernels for that phone.

I want a suggestion about buying an old used Android phone that I can experiment on with Kernel development. Please suggest an Android phone that is being liked or used to be liked by most developers and has the most study material or help available so that things will stay accessible for me in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fytdyh

Best supported phone to buy to learn Android kernel?​

I am an embedded Linux developer and now trying to learn Android Kernel development as a hobby. I know from the ROOT community that there are sometimes certain phones considered to be "favourites" among developers, and they build a lot of custom ROMs and Kernels for that phone.

I want a suggestion about buying an old used Android phone that I can experiment on with Kernel development. Please suggest an Android phone that is being liked or used to be liked by most developers and has the most study material or help available so that things will stay accessible for me in the future.
See some Xiaomi phones. Got a redmi note 8 pro, with a mediatek processor. Even with that, got 4-5 custom kernels available. Xiaomi usually sends some units to developers before each launch. And midrange devices are decent enough nowadays that most people would choose those. That would be a good place to start.

SuperUser1010

Dec 12, 2018
I currently have LG V30 and like the phone, but have severe connection issues and believe tinkering around with it may lead to nothing.

What is a good phone, with the below requirements, for ~300, give or take?

Headphone jack
CDMA network (verizon)
Not extremely complicated to root - has good guides to root
Has 5g
Protective case that does not break the bank

liberator130

Dec 19, 2014
Looking for a phone that has the best support for rooting, modding, 3.5mm jack, preferably FM radio tuner (NextRadio capable) and easy to use Viper4Audio. Should I look at the Nord N20, Poco X4 Pro, or Pixel 5a instead?

Fytdyh

Well each has their strengths and weaknesses. The Moto has a better processor and video and selfie capabilities, while the Poco has a better build quality, IP53 resistant, photography capability, screen, microsd, headphone jack, charging speed and better custom rom community support.

liberator130

Dec 19, 2014
Well each has their strengths and weaknesses. The Moto has a better processor and video and selfie capabilities, while the Poco has a better build quality, IP53 resistant, photography capability, screen, microsd, headphone jack, charging speed and better custom rom community support.
I see. Many thanks for your inputs! Poco it is!

snx413

Nov 25, 2012
Realme 6
Hello, i would like somes advices, i never bought google pixel devices, im hesiting between xiaomi 12t pro, google pixel 7 or even 7 pro if its really worth it (near of 200usd for the pro...) or even another phone with good photo and gaming use ... 700-800 usd budget arround for a 2-3 years phone plan use, if you guys could help me...
Thanks

Darkmasterhk

Dec 28, 2012
Kassel
Some phone recommendations for mix used including some gaming?
I'm not really interested in a good cam, especially front cam.
Top priority would be performance (consistent -> low throttling) + good battery

I was looking at the Oneplus 10T, Asus Zenfone 9 and Moto Edge 30 pro. The ROG 6D also looks nice, but rather expensive.

But as expected, one will find negatives about all 3 of them. 1+ has suffered some reputation loss, Asus SW seems to be a bit buggy sometimes...

Any recommendation? I wanted to change to something newer (SoC wise) so I would like to get a phone using SD 8(+) Gen1 or 9000+

Guess there will be custom roms for all 3 of them later on.

My fav is the Asus right now for now specific reason, but the 1+ is on sale right now...

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Hello, i would like somes advices, i never bought google pixel devices, im hesiting between xiaomi 12t pro, google pixel 7 or even 7 pro if its really worth it (near of 200usd for the pro...) or even another phone with good photo and gaming use ... 700-800 usd budget arround for a 2-3 years phone plan use, if you guys could help me...
Thanks
you are using usd, that means you live in america ? if so, xiaomi might not provide the best coverage. go for a samsung s21 ultra

Fytdyh

Some phone recommendations for mix used including some gaming?
I'm not really interested in a good cam, especially front cam.
Top priority would be performance (consistent -> low throttling) + good battery

I was looking at the Oneplus 10T, Asus Zenfone 9 and Moto Edge 30 pro. The ROG 6D also looks nice, but rather expensive.

But as expected, one will find negatives about all 3 of them. 1+ has suffered some reputation loss, Asus SW seems to be a bit buggy sometimes...

Any recommendation? I wanted to change to something newer (SoC wise) so I would like to get a phone using SD 8(+) Gen1 or 9000+

Guess there will be custom roms for all 3 of them later on.

My fav is the Asus right now for now specific reason, but the 1+ is on sale right now...
well, for gaming you can go with
1. ZTE nubia Red Magic 7S Pro
2. Asus ROG Phone 6
3. Lenovo Legion Y90
4. Xiaomi Black Shark 5 Pro

Reactions: Darkmasterhk

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
am wanting to look for new phone ,
---- musr work on att's new "allowed" phone list.
---- must be rooteable. (with custom rom theads).
---- must have sdcard slot.
---- good sound from speakers.
---- headphone jack.
*** anything else can be whatever quality.
thank you for any leads , suggestionsj.
dave

Trunksleo

Mar 21, 2011
Which its the best camera on a phone up to 600 dollars??? I only care for the camera improvement from a s20 fe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Because the support is slowly coming to an end.
    2. The battery is getting weaker - but I want to fix it.

Looking at what is happening in the market I think the best solution is still using my current phone. I can't find an interesting model for me.

Thanks for help.
    Even when the support is going to be stopped, your phone will still be compatible with 95% of current apps. As for the battery, you can just replace that. Wait a couple of years if nothing interests you at the moment.
    Yes, I agree that it's good to expand ones horizons, and for many people it could be beneficial to check out an iPhone.

I'm just pointing out to those people who root and mod their Android devices that jailbroken iPhones allow fewer OS and feature modifications than rooted iPhones. On a jailbroken iPhone, you are more constrained to limits imposed by the Apple ecosystem than you would be limited to Android ecosystem limits on a rooted Android device.

In other words, if modding and extending your OS beyond the manufacturer's imposed limitations is important to you, you will find that Apple makes this more difficult than Android does.

Apple is famous for (often proudly) forcing user-experience constraints which in many cases are impossible to override, even on jailbroken phones. Android is freer in this area ... although over time, Google keeps imposing more and more Apple-like limitations upon its users, and Android may eventually catch up with iOS in this area.
    Yes, Apple has a specific vision and you have to buy into that vision to use their devices. For example, slide to unlock was useful and a good marketing gimmick and now it is gone but we still use it to power off devices. Could do with an update there and add reboot, reboot into recovery, etc but Apple requires a hardware interaction for those. That's their vision and they will stick to it.

I agree that Google used to be much more flexible but the shareholder demand for services revenue is making both companies much more controlling than one would like. Microsoft did not get their Windows/Office blinkers off in time to compete in mobile and HP with WebOS could have been a good competitor but they folded just as they were starting. Having even one more real competitor in the mobile OS landscape could have seen a different outcome for us consumers.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)