General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Fytdyh

Please recommend a phone.

Requirements:
Android OS
Root & Custom ROM support on XDA
128GB or greater storage
Compatible with the Verizon network
Phone must be superior to the Pixel 3XL (my current phone)
Dual front facing speakers

Preferred:
> 128GB of storage

I was waiting for the Pixel 6 with the hope it'd have dual front facing speakers. It appears that isn't the case and thus, I'm wondering if there are any other options out there worth considering. The Pixel 3XL is an amazing phone, but the speaker quality is absolute crap. Just curious if there are any other options out there where I could get some high quality dual front facing speakers.
Mate, if you want to listen to music, those dual front facing speakers aren't going to be better than a dedicated speaker. No smartphone speakers are going to be better than a dedicated speaker. JBL has some tiny speakers, the size of a hamburger, if you are interested in form size. If not, Harman Kardon has a nice speaker, the size of a purse, which I can personally recommend.

Last edited:

thex2

Jul 21, 2014
Mate, if you want to listen to music, those dual front facing speakers aren't going to be better than a dedicated speaker. No smartphone speakers are going to be better than a dedicated speaker. JBL has some tiny speakers, the size of a hamburger, if you are interested in form size. If not, Harman Kardon has a nice speaker, the size of a purse, which I can personally recommend.
I'm just trying to have speakers on my phone that are equivalent or superior to my old Nexus 6. Hell, I'd even take speakers that were equivalent or superior to my old Nextel i88s...
Motorola-i85s.jpg

Also, it's not for music specifically. I use my phone for 90% talking on speaker phone and 10% misc youtube video's. Just want a decent speaker that doesn't sound like crap (which the Pixel 3XL's does).

Fytdyh

I'm just trying to have speakers on my phone that are equivalent or superior to my old Nexus 6. Hell, I'd even take speakers that were equivalent or superior to my old Nextel i88s...
Motorola-i85s.jpg

Also, it's not for music specifically. I use my phone for 90% talking on speaker phone and 10% misc youtube video's. Just want a decent speaker that doesn't sound like crap (which the Pixel 3XL's does).
Then I suggest the Pixel 5 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 20.

Sharika_Singh

Jul 21, 2021
India
  • Apple iPhone 12.
  • Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.
  • Samsung Galaxy S21 / S21 Plus.
  • Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max.
  • Apple iPhone 12 mini.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
  • OnePlus 9.
  • Samsung Galaxy A52 5G.
  • LG Wing

bombdog

Jun 5, 2011
Toon
I have been looking at replacement phones and apart from devices with high refresh screens and foldable displays, there is nothing out there which comes close to replacing my P30 Pro.

The industrial design, the camera, the chipset, G-Services and the overall fluidity of the device means that I have no reason to upgrade for the first time in years.

Are there any devices you have been tempted to get or are you, like me, happy with keeping the P30 Pro as your main device?

Reactions: ForMartha

Fytdyh

I have been looking at replacement phones and apart from devices with high refresh screens and foldable displays, there is nothing out there which comes close to replacing my P30 Pro.

The industrial design, the camera, the chipset, G-Services and the overall fluidity of the device means that I have no reason to upgrade for the first time in years.

Are there any devices you have been tempted to get or are you, like me, happy with keeping the P30 Pro as your main device?
Personally, the new Sony Xperia Pro-I sounds tempting. I would love a better camera on a flagship. And the fact that a 512 gb device also has a microSD slot nowadays is just amazing. Still, the price is a bit out of my range.

Reactions: bombdog

kruc Ire

Feb 14, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A70
Sony Xperia 1 II
OH yes the Sony camera almost makes it worth carrying around a simlocked device. You can do 128 fps slow-mo videos, and there are 3 lenses 16 gives the wide angle 24 is the more normal, and 70 is for attempting to focus shots at a distance, and the dial really is cool. True the visual screen is sort of faith based but it's great to have the side button and not have to find a screen button. I went to the seaside and made underwater videos as well, at a depth of a few feet. Got a notification immediately the first time I went in the sea with it, and for a month or so after that there was a USB port moisture, but that seems to have gone away finally with no lasting problems. Best phone camera I've ever had. I have only the Xperia 1 II which I got from a reseller and it's simlocked, but the II is better than the III because it doesn't have a side button dedicated to Goolag ({Mod edit}) that button for Goolag sounds really naff, but it wasn't there in the II. Don't need 5G the II was actually some degree less 5G capable I've read. I also really like the thin and straight edged, rounded but still sharp corners design, thinner and easier to hold. I have found difficulty disabling the Goolag Play Store lately, but I haven't noticed much as I keep it firewalled out. I suspect there may be some update that's hiding the uninstall updates option, but I also don't find it as an admin app, so it's puzzling. One last edit, I can't forget the great dual front facing speakers. They are great for listening or watching.

kruc Ire

Feb 14, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A70
Sony Xperia 1 II
OH yes the Sony camera almost makes it worth carrying around a simlocked device. You can do 128 fps slow-mo videos, and there are 3 lenses 16 gives the wide angle 24 is the more normal, and 70 is for attempting to focus shots at a distance, and the dial really is cool. True the visual screen is sort of faith based but it's great to have the side button and not have to find a screen button. I went to the seaside and made underwater videos as well, at a depth of a few feet. Got a notification immediately the first time I went in the sea with it, and for a month or so after that there was a USB port moisture, but that seems to have gone away finally with no lasting problems. Best phone camera I've ever had. I have only the Xperia 1 II which I got from a reseller and it's simlocked, but the II is better than the III because it doesn't have a side button dedicated to Goolag ({Mod edit}) that button for Goolag sounds really naff, but it wasn't there in the II. Don't need 5G the II was actually some degree less 5G capable I've read. I also really like the thin and straight edged, rounded but still sharp corners design, thinner and easier to hold. I have found difficulty disabling the Goolag Play Store lately, but I haven't noticed much as I keep it firewalled out. I suspect there may be some update that's hiding the uninstall updates option, but I also don't find it as an admin app, so it's puzzling. One last edit, I can't forget the great dual front facing speakers. They are great for listening or watching.
must tip my hat to my Samsung A70 (2019) which although its Android 11 update seems to increase difficulty of low light evening horizon focus shots, has been a ROCK. I can and have disabled ALL Goolag apps for many moons now, ever since I discontinued any affiliation with {Mod edit} YouTube...and the thing has the best interface, and charging so fast it easily beats all competitors. Yes it's just got the sturdy single speaker, but Samsung really knows their stuff, The interface is infinitely better than other interfaces you will find for instance Sony and Huawei. Huawei has a whole other range of interface things that also don't quite match up with my Samsung, I've bought a few as gifts recently and had a look at them.

I do like that there are some very affordable, (100-125 slightly used) high spec (4/128) options from Huawei that also DON'T have any affiliation with {Mod edit}. The P Smart 2021 (Goolag-less), and some P40 lite E (Goolag on some models).

Back to my Samsung A70, I really like being able to open wifi and bluetooth by clicking on the word under the icon in the notification curtain menu. I have come to depend on their homescreen 'hold to open' info option for app icons. Of course loving the option to use dark mode on the phone in general. The GPS notifications are also importantly (more about this below) non-pestilential.

I would definitely recommend the Samsungs although one potential speed bump being that I tried an S21 at a pawn shop yesterday and found they do not show system apps in that, so I don't know what's going on with that. The Goolag Play Services app appears in main apps and then there is a Samsung apps section, but I happen to know that in my A70 there are some 300 Apps that appear in the full view...ANT HAL thru Wlan Test there are 87 system apps that all turn on at one time if I turn on one in the firewall. I Including several com.samsung... apps. So I am seeing this as a possible blackout of users options though many apps of course already black out options, at least I see them and know of their existence. Though I haven't investigated developer options there on the latest line of phones. I would think there could be something in developer mode that would allow to show these, if not then there could be some bad acting Goolag framework app. Which I need disabled I can't live without disabling that Goolag stuff. (edit, Actually just updated my A70 not a week ago and as I wrote this I am indeed finding a new location for system apps option, possibly this is also true on that S21 I saw, it's new to me. I included a couple of screenshots in fact this looks like it may be another improvement to the apps settings options as it may make it a persistent difference to show system apps, which would reduce clicks potentially genius move by Samsung only time will tell).

I don't have the S21, just a 15 minute look at a pawn shop yesterday. However, I have used my A70 for 2years and have found it to be far better than any other phone's design. I used to use HTC U11 (flagship), have used Sony Xperia XA2 (which is the low price phone, but very similar to Xperia 1 II interface-wise) as a 2nd/(and now 3rd) phone for 2 years and know their interface notification curtain doesn't have the option to click the wifi and bluetooth labels on the icons, so you always gotta go into settings to get there.

Sony's interface and charging is inferior to the Samsung, quite slower charging. As that quick charge in Samsung beats all with its short time full charge speed on the A70. So I guess I'm saying get 2 phones. I was disappointed to find they've raised the price by about 1-200 bucks since A70 to A72.

I can't discuss this topic without mentioning this very nagging thing I found this little thing about Android in 2021: I just recieved a notification from disabled GPS to "enable GPS or (such and such) app won't work" (happens with many apps). I must mention this --for those who care-- that the Sony 1 II had relentless GPS notifications when using with native phone or SMS, and GPS disabled. It became such a problem that I had to switch to non native phone and SMS apps. Those GPS notifications in Sony 1 II, running Android 11, couldn't be silenced or turned off, and were a real pestilence. Which is another reason to go with a cheap $125 Huawei 4/128 Type C USB (Type C is a must have in 2021), Goolag-less phone like the P Smart 2021 Goolagl-ess. This is what I recommend for those with lower means. I found Huawei had plenty of versions of apps I need in their App store, such as video downloaders.

Attachments

• IMG_20211029_091840.jpg
    IMG_20211029_091840.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20211029-091514_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-091514_Settings.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 11

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member

must tip my hat to my Samsung A70 (2019) which although its Android 11 update seems to increase difficulty of low light evening horizon focus shots, has been a ROCK. I can and have disabled ALL Goolag apps for many moons now, ever since I discontinued any affiliation with {Mod edit} YouTube...and the thing has the best interface, and charging so fast it easily beats all competitors. Yes it's just got the sturdy single speaker, but Samsung really knows their stuff, The interface is infinitely better than other interfaces you will find for instance Sony and Huawei. Huawei has a whole other range of interface things that also don't quite match up with my Samsung, I've bought a few as gifts recently and had a look at them.

I do like that there are some very affordable, (100-125 slightly used) high spec (4/128) options from Huawei that also DON'T have any affiliation with {Mod edit}. The P Smart 2021 (Goolag-less), and some P40 lite E (Goolag on some models).

Back to my Samsung A70, I really like being able to open wifi and bluetooth by clicking on the word under the icon in the notification curtain menu. I have come to depend on their homescreen 'hold to open' info option for app icons. Of course loving the option to use dark mode on the phone in general. The GPS notifications are also importantly (more about this below) non-pestilential.

I would definitely recommend the Samsungs although one potential speed bump being that I tried an S21 at a pawn shop yesterday and found they do not show system apps in that, so I don't know what's going on with that. The Goolag Play Services app appears in main apps and then there is a Samsung apps section, but I happen to know that in my A70 there are some 300 Apps that appear in the full view...ANT HAL thru Wlan Test there are 87 system apps that all turn on at one time if I turn on one in the firewall. I Including several com.samsung... apps. So I am seeing this as a possible blackout of users options though many apps of course already black out options, at least I see them and know of their existence. Though I haven't investigated developer options there on the latest line of phones. I would think there could be something in developer mode that would allow to show these, if not then there could be some bad acting Goolag framework app. Which I need disabled I can't live without disabling that Goolag stuff. (edit, Actually just updated my A70 not a week ago and as I wrote this I am indeed finding a new location for system apps option, possibly this is also true on that S21 I saw, it's new to me. I included a couple of screenshots in fact this looks like it may be another improvement to the apps settings options as it may make it a persistent difference to show system apps, which would reduce clicks potentially genius move by Samsung only time will tell).

I don't have the S21, just a 15 minute look at a pawn shop yesterday. However, I have used my A70 for 2years and have found it to be far better than any other phone's design. I used to use HTC U11 (flagship), have used Sony Xperia XA2 (which is the low price phone, but very similar to Xperia 1 II interface-wise) as a 2nd/(and now 3rd) phone for 2 years and know their interface notification curtain doesn't have the option to click the wifi and bluetooth labels on the icons, so you always gotta go into settings to get there.

Sony's interface and charging is inferior to the Samsung, quite slower charging. As that quick charge in Samsung beats all with its short time full charge speed on the A70. So I guess I'm saying get 2 phones. I was disappointed to find they've raised the price by about 1-200 bucks since A70 to A72.

I can't discuss this topic without mentioning this very nagging thing I found this little thing about Android in 2021: I just recieved a notification from disabled GPS to "enable GPS or (such and such) app won't work" (happens with many apps). I must mention this --for those who care-- that the Sony 1 II had relentless GPS notifications when using with native phone or SMS, and GPS disabled. It became such a problem that I had to switch to non native phone and SMS apps. Those GPS notifications in Sony 1 II, running Android 11, couldn't be silenced or turned off, and were a real pestilence. Which is another reason to go with a cheap $125 Huawei 4/128 Type C USB (Type C is a must have in 2021), Goolag-less phone like the P Smart 2021 Goolagl-ess. This is what I recommend for those with lower means. I found Huawei had plenty of versions of apps I need in their App store, such as video downloaders.
@kruc Ire I've slightly edited your quoted posts. Please refrain from any political statements on XDA! Thanks for your cooperation.

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and / or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive and therefore, none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: Agame334

Agame334

Nov 4, 2021
ZTE Blade
Hi! I am looking to buy a new (or refurbished) phone in the 200€ range. I want it to be small (preferably no larger than 5.2" or so). The main thing I want, is for it to be compatible with LineageOS with MicroG installed, since I want to dabble in that. Ive been looking at fairphone but the price is a bit high for a new one and i have not yet found a good used deal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Hi! I am looking to buy a new (or refurbished) phone in the 200€ range. I want it to be small (no tablet with sim slot). The main thing I want, is for it to be compatible with LineageOS with MicroG installed, since I want to dabble in that. Ive been looking at fairphone but the price is a bit high for a new one and i have not yet found a good used deal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Define how small. A 6 inch phone is considered small nowadays, given there are 6.8 and 7 inch smartphones.

Reactions: Agame334

Fytdyh

Hi! I am looking to buy a new (or refurbished) phone in the 200€ range. I want it to be small (preferably no larger than 5.2" or so). The main thing I want, is for it to be compatible with LineageOS with MicroG installed, since I want to dabble in that. Ive been looking at fairphone but the price is a bit high for a new one and i have not yet found a good used deal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
So, first of all, if you are going to modify something at your post, I suggest you specify that you made an edit.

Second, if you just want dabble with micro g and lineage, I suggest the Samsung S6 lineup. Great smartphone, still got a developing community, you can even upgrade the battery. Best phone for dabble.

Agame334

Nov 4, 2021
ZTE Blade
So, first of all, if you are going to modify something at your post, I suggest you specify that you made an edit.

Second, if you just want dabble with micro g and lineage, I suggest the Samsung S6 lineup. Great smartphone, still got a developing community, you can even upgrade the battery. Best phone for dabble.
oh yeah, sorry about that. thank you for the suggestion though, ill look into it

wuud

Sep 15, 2010
Non-Xiaomi Phone for around 250€

After an MiA1 and Mi9 Lite I want to switch manufacturers.
I checked out the Oppo A73/74/94 5G versions, the realme 8, Moto G60s, Moto G 5G or OP Nord N10 5G.

SD-card slot would be nice, not necessary if the storage is big enough. Headphone jack would be nice, a decent camera and good battery life.

I usually use my phone for messages, social media, browsing reddit, watching YouTube and PoGo.

Location is Germany and I can wait for some deals in the coming weeks.

ForMartha

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

How does the camera one S20 USA version (SD865) compare with the Nord 2? The camera sensor is one thing but the ISP on the 865 should be better comparing to the MTK Dimensity 1200, What's your take about it?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)