General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018
I currently have a MotoG5, running on Lineage14.1. I find it is getting pretty slow with modern updated apps, plus the battery is getting tired - that along with the fact I overlooked that the phone doesn't have a compass.
Now, I'm thinking about getting a former flagship model. Honestly, I really don't use the phone for much, so there is no reason for me to spend anything close to big money - I'm thinking along the lines of ~$250CAD.
As far as features go… I want to stay 6" or under screen size. Must have a compass (the few thing I do use are astronomy and hiking apps). Easy to root, with good custom ROM support.
The models on my radar right now are the Pixel3, maybe 4a. Beyond that I have no idea what else to even look at, so any suggestions for other models would be helpful.
Cheers

Fytdyh

I currently have a MotoG5, running on Lineage14.1. I find it is getting pretty slow with modern updated apps, plus the battery is getting tired - that along with the fact I overlooked that the phone doesn't have a compass.
Now, I'm thinking about getting a former flagship model. Honestly, I really don't use the phone for much, so there is no reason for me to spend anything close to big money - I'm thinking along the lines of ~$250CAD.
As far as features go… I want to stay 6" or under screen size. Must have a compass (the few thing I do use are astronomy and hiking apps). Easy to root, with good custom ROM support.
The models on my radar right now are the Pixel3, maybe 4a. Beyond that I have no idea what else to even look at, so any suggestions for other models would be helpful.
Cheers
Is there a reason you want to stick with former flagships? Midrange phones nowadays blur the line between them and the former flagships. Have a look at Xiaomi/poco phones.

cacamalaca

May 20, 2022
Hello, I'm in desperate need of a phone upgrade. I currently use the moto g8 power. I need an upgrade because my phone is either defective, terrible, or both.. Basic apps like google maps can take 10 seconds to load and the device constantly freezes. I hate it.

My budget is $800. I'm currently visiting the UK and will spend the next 5 months in different countries across Western Europe.

Primary requirements:
- snappy performance
- NFC & google pay
- good camera
- 5g
- Dual sim preferred
- Non-Chinese brand preferred
- Works in Europe and Brazil. USA would be a bonus too.

Edit: I was recommended the S20 FE with Snapdragon. Is this good? A samsung representative told me that the Snapdragon version will perform slower in Europe because the phone will always be set to roaming. Is this true or was he just trying to get me to buy the Exynos?

All advice appreciated, thank you.

Fytdyh

Hello, I'm in desperate need of a phone upgrade. I currently use the moto g8 power. I need an upgrade because my phone is either defective, terrible, or both.. Basic apps like google maps can take 10 seconds to load and the device constantly freezes. I hate it.

My budget is $800. I'm currently visiting the UK and will spend the next 5 months in different countries across Western Europe.

Primary requirements:
- snappy performance
- NFC & google pay
- good camera
- 5g
- Dual sim preferred
- Non-Chinese brand preferred
- Works in Europe and Brazil. USA would be a bonus too.

Edit: I was recommended the S20 FE with Snapdragon. Is this good? A samsung representative told me that the Snapdragon version will perform slower in Europe because the phone will always be set to roaming. Is this true or was he just trying to get me to buy the Exynos?

All advice appreciated, thank you.
How about the samsung s21? Still quite new, fast processor and a better camera. Now exynos vs snapdragon? Can't say, I reside in Romania (Europe) so exynos is the only option I have. Given the price range, wouldn't surprise me if the differences between those two are marginally at best, if any

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
honolulu/boise
Hey all,
Like most of the posts here, I too need a phone, but I have a somewhat specific list of needs, so here goes!

1. MUST have an sdcard slot!
2. MUST wireless charge.
3. MUST be usable on Verizon Network.
4. MUST be rootable.

What I have right now is an S7, rooted on android 8.0. This phone does everything I need it to, but the battery is puffed and popped the back cover, and now I'm finding several apps no longer work due to it not being on 9.0 (stupid companies with zero legacy support for their apps!). I'm looking in to a 9.0 root for the S7 if I cannot find what I am looking for. At this point, cost is not a factor, so long as I can find what I'm looking for.

Cannot believe, in this day and age, that I can't find a dozen phones that have wireless charging and an sdcard slot! Was hoping the S10 5G would do it, but its missing the card slot of all things.

Thanks for any insight as to what I should get next!

Fytdyh

Hey all,
Like most of the posts here, I too need a phone, but I have a somewhat specific list of needs, so here goes!

1. MUST have an sdcard slot!
2. MUST wireless charge.
3. MUST be usable on Verizon Network.
4. MUST be rootable.

What I have right now is an S7, rooted on android 8.0. This phone does everything I need it to, but the battery is puffed and popped the back cover, and now I'm finding several apps no longer work due to it not being on 9.0 (stupid companies with zero legacy support for their apps!). I'm looking in to a 9.0 root for the S7 if I cannot find what I am looking for. At this point, cost is not a factor, so long as I can find what I'm looking for.

Cannot believe, in this day and age, that I can't find a dozen phones that have wireless charging and an sdcard slot! Was hoping the S10 5G would do it, but its missing the card slot of all things.

Thanks for any insight as to what I should get next!
See sony xperia 1 IV

Reactions: flyinhawaiian968
Oct 27, 2016
honolulu/boise
Thanks Fytdyh, while I'm not a fan of Sony products, the specs look pretty good. A bit high on the pricing though, but if that's what it takes, then I'll drop that kinda cash on it.

Any others? Was looking at the SM-G988U1, but it still has the crapdragon processor and I can't tell if its rootable or not. Some sites say yes, while others say no.

LeDavida

May 22, 2022
Hello everybody.

Back 4-5 years ago I own a Xiaomi Redmi 5A, a pretty basic device but for my needs was almost perfect, unfortunately the phone has been failing lately, the device get slow, the Bluetooth connection fails sometimes, the system forgets the Wi-Fi passwords, the Adreno 308 GPU has been having troubles with AR applications, the battery drops so fast and most important, it's been getting hotter when I use two applications, so it's time to find a new phone.

I don't have in mind get a powerful phone, the specs I'm looking for are:
-5''-6'' Screen
-Gyroscope and IR emitter (if possible)
-Decent Bluetooth connection
-No fingerprint sensor
-Physical return, home screen and custom button (optional, mostly impossible for what I see)
-Good RAM and Internal storage (3 or plus of RAM, 64 or plus of internal storage)
-Decent AR device
-USB Type-C
-Useful for the next 4-5 years (updates and support)
-Around $200

One option I found is the Samsung Galaxy A03, but aside of the screen size and micro USB connection I found a mix of reviews, some goods and some regretting after weeks, it's a good shot?

Fytdyh

Hello everybody.

Back 4-5 years ago I own a Xiaomi Redmi 5A, a pretty basic device but for my needs was almost perfect, unfortunately the phone has been failing lately, the device get slow, the Bluetooth connection fails sometimes, the system forgets the Wi-Fi passwords, the Adreno 308 GPU has been having troubles with AR applications, the battery drops so fast and most important, it's been getting hotter when I use two applications, so it's time to find a new phone.

I don't have in mind get a powerful phone, the specs I'm looking for are:
-5''-6'' Screen
-Gyroscope and IR emitter (if possible)
-Decent Bluetooth connection
-No fingerprint sensor
-Physical return, home screen and custom button (optional, mostly impossible for what I see)
-Good RAM and Internal storage (3 or plus of RAM, 64 or plus of internal storage)
-Decent AR device
-USB Type-C
-Useful for the next 4-5 years (updates and support)
-Around $200

One option I found is the Samsung Galaxy A03, but aside of the screen size and micro USB connection I found a mix of reviews, some goods and some regretting after weeks, it's a good shot?
Redmi note 11. A bit taller than your size range, but quite a decent phone, with a snapdragon chipset, so most likely it will get updates, official and non official

Reactions: LeDavida

Hei Wiper

Jan 19, 2017
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Moto G6 running on LineageOS 18.1. I would honestly stick to my current phone if the battery wasn't dying and I also get random black screen freezes which is hard to fix since my power button is almost not functional.

I was thinking it's time to get a new phone, I'm quite satisfied with Moto G6 so I would like something similar with a better RAM, here are my preferences:

- Budget phone (I can't afford flagship phones)
- 6GB RAM (My current phone has 3GB and switching apps sometimes requires reloading)
- Good Battery life
- Active community (for Custom ROM purposes)
- A Motorola would be nice (I like the Motorola gestures)
- The other specs should be average as I don't use it for playing or any specific thing.

~ Thanks in advance ~

baldybill

Aug 8, 2010
Verizon LG G3
LG V20
I'm really interested in the Pixel 6a for several reasons, including:
- less bloat
- rootability later to extend the life through Lineage or something

Now I'm seeing some good Motorola competitors, like the the moto G 2022 and G Stylus 2022. The price is about the same, but the specs are alittle better (more RAM, memory, SD slot).

Would these Motorola phones be rootable later?
Any thoughts on which to get?

Fytdyh

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Moto G6 running on LineageOS 18.1. I would honestly stick to my current phone if the battery wasn't dying and I also get random black screen freezes which is hard to fix since my power button is almost not functional.

I was thinking it's time to get a new phone, I'm quite satisfied with Moto G6 so I would like something similar with a better RAM, here are my preferences:

- Budget phone (I can't afford flagship phones)
- 6GB RAM (My current phone has 3GB and switching apps sometimes requires reloading)
- Good Battery life
- Active community (for Custom ROM purposes)
- A Motorola would be nice (I like the Motorola gestures)
- The other specs should be average as I don't use it for playing or any specific thing.

~ Thanks in advance ~
Moto G82

Reactions: Hei Wiper
Oct 27, 2016
honolulu/boise
Maybe I should have said crappy samsung phones with snapdragon processors that are almost impossible to root? Exynos? Seems all the variants have some sort of way to root those, but snapdragon? Nope.

Just looked at an s20 5g, developer options is missing the OEM Unlocking menu item, yet the exynos variant seems to have it.

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 6a
Maybe I should have said crappy samsung phones with snapdragon processors that are almost impossible to root? Exynos? Seems all the variants have some sort of way to root those, but snapdragon? Nope.

Just looked at an s20 5g, developer options is missing the OEM Unlocking menu item, yet the exynos variant seems to have it.
Jesus Christ, I didn't know they could/would remove the OEM Unlocking option. Why only on Snapdragon though?
Your best bet for rooting and flashing custom ROMs would probably be some semi-cheap Xiaomi phone, but I know that's not necessarily what you're aiming for.
It's increasingly difficult to find a phone that is easy to tinker with and has a thriving modding community going for it.

Oct 27, 2016
honolulu/boise
Honestly, I don't know why, but its almost always a Verizon variant, and most definitely the US versions that get locked out. Been dealing with this since my first smart phone, an old Samsung Stratosphere. It was a pain to root back then, and its only gotten worse over the years. Its also why I hold on to my phones for so long! Hell, my son still has an S5 that I'm finally looking to replace, but only after I find something that will work for me!

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 6a
Honestly, I don't know why, but its almost always a Verizon variant, and most definitely the US versions that get locked out. Been dealing with this since my first smart phone, an old Samsung Stratosphere. It was a pain to root back then, and its only gotten worse over the years. Its also why I hold on to my phones for so long! Hell, my son still has an S5 that I'm finally looking to replace, but only after I find something that will work for me!
I'm not from the US, so I'm unaware of how these things work over there, but how difficult is it to buy an unlocked phone?
Aren't there some websites that may be less popular, but do offer legit, unlocked devices? I'm assuming you don't buy your phones straight from Verizon?

Oct 27, 2016
honolulu/boise
Heh, got one sittin' right here! Unlocked variant of the Galaxy S10 5G, spent hours and hours trying to find a way to root it, I've given up and just ADB'd the hell out of all the garbage that was sent to it as soon as I threw a Verizon sim card into it.
The only way I could see getting root was to try a Korean firmware and hope it doesn't brick the phone. From all that I've seen and read, the Exynos processors seem to be in everything BUT U.S. phones, at least for Samsung.
Sadly, like I was saying before, its impossible to find a rootable phone with an sdcard slot and wireless charging.
And no, I definitely don't buy from the phone stores, most of them I get off Amazon, mostly because I can return them if they won't work for me.
Playin' with an S20 5G right now (friend's phone that he just replace with something newer), and that too has no unlock bootloader option.
Its ridiculous that we spend all this money on a phone, only to be told we can't do what we want with it!

YayJohn

Feb 25, 2018
Netanya
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hello, I'm looking for a new phone for myself, the phone I currently have, mi a1 is finally starting to have problems for me after 5 good years, it's screen now doesn't detect certain places after I left it in my trip backpack.

I was really satisfied with my mi a1, it's battery was decent, it was rootable, and most importantly it lasted me a very long while!

I want my next phone to be cheap, 200$ range, the lower the better.
It needs to last me a long time, not to start having problems after only a year or something.
I've been thinking, if the phone won't have oem unlock support, then I'll be alright with it, but if it will I'll probably get a custom rom with regular updates and just stick with it.
The camera needs to be decent, it can even be bad if the phone has oem unlock support, because the pixel camera app is fire!
A headphone jack would be nice since I currently use wired headphones, but apparently there are jack to usb c adapters so it isn't a requirement.
..and that's it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)