What really happen to magisk

Search This thread
You might want to take a look in the v22 release notes:
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html

Things are actually simpler now since everything is included in the apk.
I'd tried the app said to change the magisk22.apk to zip and i change it to zip and click lets go but nothing happen. Also cant install magisk.

Everything used to be very fast and easy to install magisk and now they hide the .zip link, make it complicated with the app apk. Need to download boot.img and change the apk to zip file.

Man this is so complex.

i use asus zenfone max pro m1 btw

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I don't know that you're talking about... The only difference from previous releases of Magisk is that if you now want to install from TWRP you need to first rename the .apk to .zip, and if you want to uninstall from TWRP you rename it to uninstall.zip.

That's it. Everything else is exactly as it has been for a very long time...

I don't know that you're talking about... The only difference from previous releases of Magisk is that if you now want to install from TWRP you need to first rename the .apk to .zip, and if you want to uninstall from TWRP you rename it to uninstall.zip.

I'd the twrp method and it worked. Tq. I thought i need to flash it at magisk app.

Gianluk99

Jul 24, 2016
Italy
i'm sorry it's a long time since i rooted my phone, but i remember that it was possile to install moduels right from the magisk app, is it changed now or it's just that i'm blind xD ?
Thx

Immortal68

• Feb 5, 2013
    Koblenz

Holy hell! That actually works?! The installation guide doesn't convey this at all! Going by that it's super complicated compared to before. Extracting boot.img is quite an endeavour already and then there's extra steps for ramdisk and whatnot. Custom recovery boot vuide with long pressing and short pressing until splash screen.
    That guide needs to be adjusted.

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
    LG K10
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Holy hell! That actually works?! The installation guide doesn't convey this at all! Going by that it's super complicated compared to before. Extracting boot.img is quite an endeavour already and then there's extra steps for ramdisk and whatnot. Custom recovery boot vuide with long pressing and short pressing until splash screen.
    That guide needs to be adjusted.
    The installation process is the same of before.

Immortal68

• Feb 5, 2013
    Koblenz
    Uhm...
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#custom-recovery

And is a simple change of the file extension such a hassle? Everything else is exactly as it has been before...
    No, not at all! I actually understand now why it says that it's gotten easier! Only renaming the file ending and having everything in one file is super convenient.

The thing is: The installation guide starts with installing Magisk.apk and checking RAMdisk and continues to guide you through steps that are very different from the procedure before. The option you mentioned you be in Bold at the top, with an addition: "Try this first - if it doesn't work, try the rest of the stuff in this guide".

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
    Staff member
    May 31, 2012
    Gothenburg
    Google Nexus 4
    Nexus 6
    No, not at all! I actually understand now why it says that it's gotten easier! Only renaming the file ending and having everything in one file is super convenient.

The thing is: The installation guide starts with installing Magisk.apk and checking RAMdisk and continues to guide you through steps that are very different from the procedure before. The option you mentioned you be in Bold at the top, with an addition: "Try this first - if it doesn't work, try the rest of the stuff in this guide".
    Installing Magisk from a custom recovery is actually only kept as a legacy option. More and more devices do not have a custom recovery available and there are many devices where the custom recovery that is available actually is broken and can't properly install Magisk.

Therefore, John considers the boot/recovery image patching the only properly supported installation method. That's the only way he can know for sure that everything needed for installing Magisk is in place.

That's why the instructions are written as they are.

Reactions: Immortal68

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You might want to take a look in the v22 release notes:
      https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html

Things are actually simpler now since everything is included in the apk.

Installing Magisk from a custom recovery is actually only kept as a legacy option. More and more devices do not have a custom recovery available and there are many devices where the custom recovery that is available actually is broken and can't properly install Magisk.

Therefore, John considers the boot/recovery image patching the only properly supported installation method. That's the only way he can know for sure that everything needed for installing Magisk is in place.

That's why the instructions are written as they are.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone