• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

What ROM for Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 ?

Search This thread

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
Hi,
I am a newbie with a little experience only, I installed LineageOS on my second hand S6 phone. I am happy with it.
I am thinking to buy a second hand tablet and I'd like to know what is the best for a ROM like LineageOS.
Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-T860) looks a good one but I have read LineageOS is not working on it.
Could you confirm? Is there another ROM without GAFAM (no google at all)?

What about Samsung Galaxy S5e (SM-T720), LineageOS or other ROM without GAFAM?
What brand , reference do you advice in the same range of quality, size and power, second hand tablet to run LineageOS?

Thank you for your help

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
For reference:
I found the answer. There is no custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S6, I think due to proprietary hardware chips.
The closest today is the Samsung Galaxy S5e with a LineageOS 18.1 ROM.

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
youtube.com
For reference:
I found the answer. There is no custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S6, I think due to proprietary hardware chips.
The closest today is the Samsung Galaxy S5e with a LineageOS 18.1 ROM.
There is no proprietary chips. There is no custom rom for almost no newer device.
Its because orinal roms are very good nowdays, and no one have the free time to create a custom rom from start. Its easier just to debloat and install some extra.
Lineage is very problematic rom. After some time become slow.

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
There is no proprietary chips. There is no custom rom for almost no newer device.
Its because orinal roms are very good nowdays, and no one have the free time to create a custom rom from start. Its easier just to debloat and install some extra.
Lineage is very problematic rom. After some time become slow.
Do you mean it is possible to remove all GAFAM apps/stuff and replace with FOSS without installing a new ROM?
Could you provide links about it (howto not device specific) and about LineageOS issue as well?
Many thanks to share you knowledge.

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
youtube.com
Do you mean it is possible to remove all GAFAM apps/stuff and replace with FOSS without installing a new ROM?
Could you provide links about it (howto not device specific) and about LineageOS issue as well?
Many thanks to share you knowledge.
You can't remove everything. You can remove many. See debloating threads.
See the threads for galaxy s10 lite, s20, etc. Almost none has custom roms anymore. It's not tab s6 only, and it isn't due to propertiary hardware (there isn't).
Lineoage is garbage for 95% of phones. Keep it 2 months and see how laggy is becoming. I have installed it in almost 30 phones in past, I'm not taking it from my mind.
S5e with the lightest custom rom, will never be as fast as original ROM tab s6.

Last edited:

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
I was thinking that LineageOS is a ROM.
I can consider I am lucky as the first and only ROM I installed (as newbie) and still run in my old S6 is LineageOS 17. Only fingerprint is not working.
My question now is how far is it possible to go to de-bloat and de-google; Remove most as possible of google, GAFAM, if possible everything from them.

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
I was thinking that LineageOS is a ROM.
I can consider I am lucky as the first and only ROM I installed (as newbie) and still run in my old S6 is LineageOS 17. Only fingerprint is not working.
My question now is how far is it possible to go to de-bloat and de-google; Remove most as possible of google, GAFAM, if possible everything from them.

I meant there is LineageOS ROM for the Galaxy Tab S6, AFAIK.

Then to respond to your question you can debloat and de-google as much as you want since your device won't become unstable or unusable... :unsure:

So better find a debloat list with as much as possible with descriptions of what the apps do and with restriction of what apps you do not have to touch, then deactivate them first before uninstalling them...

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
sadly no custom rom for our tab s6, nor custom kernel

i have asked in this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-request-poll-should-i-develop-a-rom-for-the-tab-s6.4160763/ and see if there are any developers here but yet to get a reply from anyone

tbf the roms nowadays are much better but still have rooms to improve. eg i cant live with a messenger showing only the time i received a sms but not the time someone sent it (mine is t860 so it doesnt matter for my tab s6). sometimes i received something like "your parcel is ready, pls get it in 24 hrs", so how do i know when the countdowns started without the sent time? of coz ppl can get another app to receive sms but i prefer to change it myself. so imho, custom roms are still valuable. i like the sound by akg in our tab s6, but some prefers others

on the other hand, custom kernels can do much more than stock one, no matter in performance, battery consumption etc. with a custom kernel my tab s (the first tab s) lasted for a few years before i switched to tab s6, that's 5 years

i admire the s5e has both of them thanks to the developers, however, i like amoled more personally so i chose tab s6 😃

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
sadly no custom rom for our tab s6, nor custom kernel

i have asked in this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-request-poll-should-i-develop-a-rom-for-the-tab-s6.4160763/ and see if there are any developers here but yet to get a reply from anyone

tbf the roms nowadays are much better but still have rooms to improve. eg i cant live with a messenger showing only the time i received a sms but not the time someone sent it (mine is t860 so it doesnt matter for my tab s6). sometimes i received something like "your parcel is ready, pls get it in 24 hrs", so how do i know when the countdowns started without the sent time? of coz ppl can get another app to receive sms but i prefer to change it myself. so imho, custom roms are still valuable. i like the sound by akg in our tab s6, but some prefers others

on the other hand, custom kernels can do much more than stock one, no matter in performance, battery consumption etc. with a custom kernel my tab s (the first tab s) lasted for a few years before i switched to tab s6, that's 5 years

i admire the s5e has both of them thanks to the developers, however, i like amoled more personally so i chose tab s6 😃

"sometimes i received something like "your parcel is ready, pls get it in 24 hrs", so how do i know when the countdowns started without the sent time? of coz ppl can get another app to receive sms but i prefer to change it myself."

I don't understand how a custom kernel or a custom rom could change anything in the example you gave nor does the app we use as I don't think there is much difference between the time sent with the time received.
This is more a matter with your retailer. :unsure:

At present time you can already debloat most of your system apps without root and thus install the ones you want.

Of course with a custom kernel you could gain some features but most of the time you might lose others (S-Pen, Camera quality, stability or such) !

Being flagged once when you root your device is one thing, but being flagged twice with a custom kernel is too much for me, specially when I'll sell my device for another model... ^^

For now, I'm considering different options to create a custom rom based on stock to facilitate the updates or upgrades specifically with rooted device and with TWRP without loosing our data during the process.

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
"sometimes i received something like "your parcel is ready, pls get it in 24 hrs", so how do i know when the countdowns started without the sent time? of coz ppl can get another app to receive sms but i prefer to change it myself."

I don't understand how a custom kernel or a custom rom could change anything in the example you gave nor does the app we use as I don't think there is much difference between the time sent with the time received.
This is more a matter with your retailer. :unsure:

At present time you can already debloat most of your system apps without root and thus install the ones you want.

Of course with a custom kernel you could gain some features but most of the time you might lose others (S-Pen, Camera quality, stability or such) !

Being flagged once when you root your device is one thing, but being flagged twice with a custom kernel is too much for me, specially when I'll sell my device for another model... ^^

For now, I'm considering different options to create a custom rom based on stock to facilitate the updates or upgrades specifically with rooted device and with TWRP without loosing our data during the process.

well, coz i will turn on my phone's flight mode at home (i am talking about my phone but not my tab s6 gere), so the time i get the sms can be 12 hrs or more. this can be changed in the stock message app

it will be great if you are going to create custom rom base on stock rom 😃

Top Liked Posts