• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

What USB-C <-> USB-A cable are you getting?

Search This thread

KidWave

Nov 19, 2013
Since we won't be getting it in the box, and I don't have a USB-C port on my laptop, I'll def. need to get one.

I thought of just getting the Google Store one, but $13.00 seemed a bit high

Then I thought of getting the OnePlus Cable one since it's cheaper, has some nice design features (flat, cable organizer, etc.), but then I realized it's only USB 2.0 spec and I kinda want to future proof the cable.

I figured the Spigen Cable would be a safe bet since it's a known brand, 3.0 spec, and discounted on their eBay store, but it's backordered til end of November!

Finally, I found this "generic" one on Amazon which I think I'll get since it has a bunch of reviews and is in stock before the N5X comes in.

Has anyone else started shopping for their USB-C <-> USB-A cable? Any other suggestions to consider?

Jexx11

Sep 19, 2013
I got a couple of the OnePlus cables, from the reviews I've read they are some of the best A to C cables available so far, and pretty cheap to boot.

Riverdales27

Dec 29, 2012
I ordered the oneplus cable, it's on its way. Reversible insertion on both ends sounds good. Hopefully it's as good as monoprice premium cables. Bought the 5 feet version. Playstore only has a 3 feet version.

kellybrf

Nov 16, 2007
I ordered some 2.0 cables from Aliexpress for <$2 each. since I won't have a phone that supports 3.0 until at least next year I didn't feel the need to future proof as the cables should come down considerably in price over the next year as more devices move to c. also, by the time I get a 3.0 phone I may not have a computer with an a port anyway

Jan 12, 2010
Man. Just looked through reviews (Don't know why I didn't before ordering) and looks like these cables are only getting 500 mAh charging.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S5.

I did not know that. Dang it. I saw one review that said it charges at 800mAh. I ordered through Amazon Prime, so I will use the return policy if it turns out to charge slower. I will state something like the company was not clear about charging at slower speeds and demand a refund. Unacceptable to me

Edit: some users say it charges just as fast as the OP2's OEM cable. Either it's a fake review or the other users that complained received duds

Last edited:

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I did not know that. Dang it. I saw one review that said it charges at 800mAh. I ordered through Amazon Prime, so I will use the return policy if it turns out to charge slower. I will state something like the company was not clear about charging at slower speeds and demand a refund. Unacceptable to me

Edit: some users say it charges just as fast as the OP2's OEM cable. Either it's a fake review or the other users that complained received duds
It could possibly do OP2 charging speeds but the OP2 doesn't have fast charging anyway.

Jan 12, 2010
It could possibly do OP2 charging speeds but the OP2 doesn't have fast charging anyway.

OP2 was the only device that used type c at the time which makes it difficult to have a better judgment with those cables. OP2 did compromise stuff so idk what else they did. I am hoping the people who said the cables were not charging that quickly had duds

I will test when I get my phone and the cables

Last edited:

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
These cables are either junk or totally overpriced. The selection right now is awful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since we won't be getting it in the box, and I don't have a USB-C port on my laptop, I'll def. need to get one.

I thought of just getting the Google Store one, but $13.00 seemed a bit high

Then I thought of getting the OnePlus Cable one since it's cheaper, has some nice design features (flat, cable organizer, etc.), but then I realized it's only USB 2.0 spec and I kinda want to future proof the cable.

I figured the Spigen Cable would be a safe bet since it's a known brand, 3.0 spec, and discounted on their eBay store, but it's backordered til end of November!

Finally, I found this "generic" one on Amazon which I think I'll get since it has a bunch of reviews and is in stock before the N5X comes in.

Has anyone else started shopping for their USB-C <-> USB-A cable? Any other suggestions to consider?
    Most decent cables will work for data transfer at USB 2.0 speeds just fine. No issue here. The "quick charge" in the Nexus case is a USB Type C spec, therefore no cable Type C to Type A will give you true quick charging. Yes, they might be rated 5V*3A which most should be really and depending on your computer/laptop USB it might pull around to 2 amp, but quick charge spec feature is specific to Type C to Type C. In order to achieve USB rated quick charge you must have a first a power source that can output 5V*3A and MUST have Type C to Type C cable.
    There is a discussion in Nexus 6p forums as well.
    I bought the stock ones from Google. When the box came in I thought it was the Nexus 5X and thought that Google just forgot to send me the shipping email because of the size of the box. I was met with utter disappointment lol
    76fb45c4770dbc5620fe2fc6de293fa8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    I bought 2 OP2 cables as well. I've had them for a day or so now they are good quality.