• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

What was the purpose of Telegram X and why is it abandoned?

Search This thread
I really haven't kept up with the Android world for the past 3 years or so and am a bit out of the loop.

Did some searching and can't find a concrete answer on Telegram X. Years ago I recall it having experimental features but can't verify that. I remember it lacking features of the main app though thus not using it. Here I am in 2021 about to choose between which to try again and noticed that Telegram X hasn't been updated and nearly a year and thus assume it's abandoned.

Does anyone have some background on what happened here? What was it? Is Telegram X officially abandoned?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Google Search is a wonderful jaded thing... I guess it's still got a pulse, barely.
Seeing that I use all kinds of outdated dinoware I personally wouldn't care.
Sometimes dead is better... just don't upgrade the firmware. Android R doesn't like anything🤣

Google Search is a wonderful jaded thing... I guess it's still got a pulse, barely.
Seeing that I use all kinds of outdated dinoware I personally wouldn't care.
Sometimes dead is better... just don't upgrade the firmware. Android R doesn't like anything🤣
I literally stopped reading that exact article before the last paragraph. At the same time that paragraph specifically explains that it was done to the beta program exclusively, the main Telegram X app hasnt been updated since 2020 though to my original point. That's a long ass time not to update.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I literally stopped reading that exact article before the last paragraph. At the same time that paragraph specifically explains that it was done to the beta program exclusively, the main Telegram X app hasnt been updated since 2020 though to my original point. That's a long ass time not to update.
Meh, it's Android Authority about as reliable as Reddit🤣
Guess it depends whichever way the wind blows if it will be DOA or not.

I take a more laid back view to these kind of things by finding a platform and software that does what I need. Then I leave it be.
Just got a new N10+, my second one. Neither will be running higher than Android 10* for the rest of their service life which will likely be 2-3+ years. Got tired of Android's and Samsung's downward spiral and put both on hold. A stone cold pleasure that serves me well.

I have one Office app, freeware, who's copy is 6 years old that was copied from my old phone 2 years ago. Try finding a freeware office app that's not cloud based now that runs well today.
Many times the newest isn't the best... I use whatever comes in handy.

*security simply isn't an issue on any of the Android platforms especially 9 or higher unless you do something stupid. Regardless if you're data is redundantly backed up even the worst rootkit can only do limited damage.

I take a more laid back view to these kind of things by finding a platform and software that does what I need. Then I leave it be.
This is my ongoing quest but can't find an app that meets my needs unfortunately. Each app only has bits of what I need. Telegram is perfect but no SMS fallback. Signal is a decent alternative, no tablet support. Google Messages, boring AF, no customization. FB Messenger, not a chance in hell, not going back on FB.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
This is my ongoing quest but can't find an app that meets my needs unfortunately. Each app only has bits of what I need. Telegram is perfect but no SMS fallback. Signal is a decent alternative, no tablet support. Google Messages, boring AF, no customization. FB Messenger, not a chance in hell, not going back on FB.
That can be very trying.
It's one reason I don't cross platform much, my Android is my primary PC.

All you can do is make do with what's available.
Installing lots of strange apps is hazardous to your OS's health and a security risk. Try to keep it to a minimum and read/learn about a prospective app as much as possible before deciding to install it or not. Do it too many times and you will take a hit. At the least it will cost you time, at the worst a factory reset.

Maybe another member has more insight into finding what you're looking for.
Try various Google searches too. Add XDA to that to search this forum.

LAST_krypton