What will realistic Project Ara phone be and what price will you pay?

Search This thread

allpet66

Dec 16, 2014
Dea Violet X I hope there will be a mobile called "Project ara" and that we can think about the price..... I don't want to be a jinx but there are too many situations that I don't understand.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I'd really pay up to 800 for top notch specs. This being under the idea that next year or two I could just swap out new processor and RAM for a hundred or two. Then leave everything else it I wanted to alone.

GodWasADeveloper

Feb 10, 2016
I'd pay a $1000 for an Ara with:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
6 Gb LPDDR4 ROM
4K Screen
5.2 inches
4000 mAh battery
Sapphire Crystal Screen
21 MP camera with OIS and 4K at 60fps
8 MP front camera with OIS
Internal Memory 128 GB
Dual Sim and Memory card slot
USB C-3.1
GPS
NFC
Infrared
Front Facing Stereo Speakers
4G

I guess that's much of a dream phone ?

Reactions: harsh2909

elcano01

May 26, 2015
I don't ask for much. Something like a Nexus 6P with modular battery and modular extended storage would be enough for me.

It is not as challenging as modular processor or display. It is definitively within the technical capability of Google, no doubt about it. I can understand why Google has not released a phone with modular processor, but Google has decided to leave to our imagination the explanation on why they haven't offered modular battery or storage on any of their recent Nexus phones (I don't know about the pre-Nexus 4).

My hypothesis:
Battery: planned obsolescence
Storage: to support their business model

The second one deserves expansion. Most Alphabet businesses work by analyzing our behavior or the contents that we generate. Local storage restricts their ability to do that.

In that sense, I think Project Ara is an effort from Google to delay and reduce the possibility of a successful modular phone business elsewhere. It is very similar to the half-baked permission controls in Marshmallow, created only to put a brake on the demand for 3rd party solutions.

So...if the Ara team ever releases something, it certainly will fall well below your expectations. And will never be a serious alternative like the Nexus phones are.

Google could prove that their are serious by merging their ugly duckling team (Ara) with their star teams (Nexus/Pixel) and releasing a strong, modular contender together. That ain't happening.

Yeah. I want to be wrong.

Reactions: harsh2909

doublespaces

Apr 7, 2011
Reflecting on this thread years later puts the potential of modularity into perspective. If we could simply upgrade singular parts which are becoming out-dated, without the entire platform/infrastructure changing, that would be awesome. I don't mind buying new covers for my parts which get scuffed up.

AncuL

Apr 28, 2016
i just want a 4.5 inch phone with decent $150 found everywhere. as the current phones in that price tag is mostly 5 inch. also i'd like a front facing speaker, 4000 mAh battery and low resolution AMOLED screen because lower screen resolution means less battery consumption. i'd pay $120 for it

googleygoggles

Dec 9, 2013
OnePlus 8T
i just want a 4.5 inch phone with decent $150 found everywhere. as the current phones in that price tag is mostly 5 inch. also i'd like a front facing speaker, 4000 mAh battery and low resolution AMOLED screen because lower screen resolution means less battery consumption. i'd pay $120 for it
That's never gonna happen in the near future... Especially at those prices... Maybe in 8 years, but by then, VR and AR will be all the rage.

Xzanah

May 8, 2016
[//hidden]
I would pay $450 to $700 for a phone with...

-1GB RAM but preferably 2GB (I don't care, I just wanna keep it realistic)
-16GB memory or more (internal)
-2 MicroSD card slots (I need a lot of space :p)
-A high-storage battery (basically a battery that holds a lot of juice, I don't care how long it takes to charge)
^^^^^^^ Is why such a high price, as well as screen recording, and root tools
-Medium-quality camera (Amateur Photographer here)
-Screen-recording capabilities
-Able to use root-like tools (Like Titanium Backup, Root Browser, etc, etc)
-3.5 in. to 4.5 in. screen (I have beefy fingers)
-Runs Lollipop and up (I love lollipop, and dunno if I wanna update past it yet :p)
-Has NFC support
-Working FM chip, not able to be disabled (cause I hate having no radio ;-; )
-Built-in radio and NFC Tag-writing app
-MAYBE gorilla glass, idc what kind

Anything else would be fine, I just like these. My phone doesn't have most of 'em.

Sent from my LGE VS425PP using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: Grr159

godsgracearmy

Sep 22, 2016
Paw Paw
I have an LG LS775 and an LG Realm for just playing around with. The Realm is stuck in bootloop and I don't know how to fix it. If you do please message me. Thanks for allowing me to post.

Sent from my LGLS775 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

With this being talked about now, what will your realistic Project Ara phone have?

Mine is pretty simple:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz
    Adreno 330 450MHz
    2 GB RAM
    3.8 V 2300 mAh, 8 Wh, Qi wireless charging
    Slide out QWERTY physical keyboard
    4.96 in (126 mm) diagonal IPS LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (1080×1920 px (444 ppi))
    8 MP with OIS, f/2.4 aperture and Xenon flash.
    1.3 MP Front Camera
    3.5 mm TRRS
    GPS
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    Bluetooth 4.0
    NFC
    Infrared port
    Every damn radio band so I can use GSM/3G/4G all over the world

Now that I look at it, this phone sounds pretty familiar......... ;)

My price range would be $400 - $500

What about you?

Also, lets keep it realistic, real (no transformer from phone to PC or fantasy crap) and considering phone/budget of each person. Basically what Project Ara is really about and can offer.

Im editing the title again: Please keep it realistic :) Who knows what people are reading this thread. If we post things like 8K resolution screen phones for 200 bucks, we cannot keep this realist.c
    • 5.1" Screen, 16:9 Aspect, 4K UHD Resolution (3840 × 2160, ~864 DPI)
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 128 GB Flash Memory
    • 802.11ac/WiFi Direct/BT4.0LE
    • 25 Megapixel Rear Camera with Light Meter, Physical Image Stabilization, and 8x Optical Zoom
    • 8 Megapixel Front Camera
    • 8+2 64-bit APU with 4096 stream units
    • LTE-Advanced
    • 8600 mAh Battery
    • GPS with WAAS and DGPS
    • NFC
    • Rumble Pak
    • Pocket Sonar
    • Global Radio/Dual SIM
    • NO CARRIER BLOAT
    • Cortana
    • $299 on contract

I'm only half joking.

you forgot a 18-300mm nikon lens for the camera
    For me:

Top-line specs (cpu ram etc...)

But the extra stuff i would buy into it is a good DAC (digital analog converter). I like to hear quality music.

And a best of the bests camera with a big and fast sensor (maybe foveon x3), 3diagonal OIS, led+xenon AND full manual control in it's software. I want to control shutter speed, ISO, explosure, OIS on/off, timer, intervalometer, HDR, brust mode, pixel oversampling and RAW capturing.

I don't want to take photos like on DSLR, but these things are good to have in the creative process :--)
    • 5.1" Screen, 16:9 Aspect, 4K UHD Resolution (3840 × 2160, ~864 DPI)
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 128 GB Flash Memory
    • 802.11ac/WiFi Direct/BT4.0LE
    • 25 Megapixel Rear Camera with Light Meter, Physical Image Stabilization, and 8x Optical Zoom
    • 8 Megapixel Front Camera
    • 8+2 64-bit APU with 4096 stream units
    • LTE-Advanced
    • 8600 mAh Battery
    • GPS with WAAS and DGPS
    • NFC
    • Rumble Pak
    • Pocket Sonar
    • Global Radio/Dual SIM
    • NO CARRIER BLOAT
    • Cortana
    • $299 on contract

I'm only half joking.
    Really i want there to be clean choices.
    saying you want a snapdragon 800 in it or a 21 megapixel camera wont help you if that phone comes out in a year or so.

An option to get it pre-assembled.
    A rating system for blocks, if you replace a block, ask you to rate/comment on it after a week or so.
    More then one company making them.
    Multiprocessor support. Get your Snapdragon and your Exynos. More power. Maybe limit that to just more then one copy of the same chip though, i do not see how it would work otherwise.
    A separate block that contains the headphone jack, usb, ... so that it can be replaced without replacing the more expensive components.
    A small internal battery, so that you can exchange the battery block without rebooting.
    Different body shapes. Tablet--Phablet--Phone--Phone with keyboard
    An E ink screen option.

Price, depends on components.
    An E ink phablet-phone is something else then a DUAL-Tegra with 3 extra battery blocks, 4k screen and no radios except wifi.