• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

What's a worthy Swype keyboard replacement?

Search This thread

Anjow

Sep 25, 2005
As long as I've been using Android phones I've been using (and loving) Swype as my keyboard. I found it knew what I was trying to say, I could be really reckless with my swiping but it would still type out what I was thinking. It was almost uncanny with its contextual prediction. I also liked how it would show a comparatively large number of suggestions for corrections above the keyboard, how easy it was to add words, and how I could delete a swiped word with just one click of backspace. It was helpful how it also managed to get words which were popular at the time into the dictionary - proper nouns which were in the news, etc.

It goes to show how long I kept my OnePlus 6T that when I changed to my current S21 Ultra I was both surprised and disappointed to see it had been discontinued.

I've been looking for a worthy replacement for Swype that performs as well so I hoped for some suggestions. I have so far tried:

Google Keyboard
  • Poor predictions by comparison
  • Not as easy to delete a whole word
  • Only three suggestions for corrections

SwiftKey
  • Again poor predictions by comparison
  • Halfway towards convenience of deleting a whole word by having to hold backspace
  • Again only three suggestions for corrections

Fleksy
  • I'd been told this had great prediction
  • I read that the beta version had swiping - I signed up but haven't figured out how to download a beta version (tried uninstalling and reinstalling - is there something I'm missing)

Can anyone suggest a swiping keyboard that's as accurate, as easy to use, and as ... telepathic as Swype was please?

Solution
I weighed up the arrogance of answering my own question with the fact that it might help others, so here we are.

I have found that Fleksy 11 beta is the best replacement so far. It comes closest to the accuracy of prediction, it has the single-tap whole-word deletion for autocompleted words, and it has some functionality customisation too. Being a beta there seem to be a few shortcomings related to the swiping being significantly different to the pre-existing core functionality but for me they're worth living with for now.

I mentioned in my original post that I'd tried to sign up for the beta in the Play store and not got anywhere - it seems I had to get added to it directly by them, which they very helpfully did.

I think I'm going...

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I can recognise that... I was in a similar situation when I finally needed to move away from Swype.

I've tried SwiftKey several times but never liked it. It just doesn't sit well with me. I went for Gboard, but it did take a while to get used to the new algorithms. Once I got used to everything it works very well, but like you say it doesn't feel quite as telepathic as Swype did.

Anjow

Sep 25, 2005
I weighed up the arrogance of answering my own question with the fact that it might help others, so here we are.

I have found that Fleksy 11 beta is the best replacement so far. It comes closest to the accuracy of prediction, it has the single-tap whole-word deletion for autocompleted words, and it has some functionality customisation too. Being a beta there seem to be a few shortcomings related to the swiping being significantly different to the pre-existing core functionality but for me they're worth living with for now.

I mentioned in my original post that I'd tried to sign up for the beta in the Play store and not got anywhere - it seems I had to get added to it directly by them, which they very helpfully did.

I think I'm going to be going with Fleksy and hoping that 'Fleksywave' stays around as a feature and continues to improve.

Solution