• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

What's gonna be your next phone after the Mi Max 2?

Search This thread

daubh

Nov 24, 2014
Toronto
The large phone segment is small so there aren't many options for those of us who like these large phone. I personally love large phones like the Max 2 because no notch and I love big screens, big battery, and I don't keep my phone in my pocket (I keep it in my purse :p).

The only downside on phones in this segment are software and camera since neither of Google, OnePlus or Nokia make such large phones. But I am currently running the Pixel Experience ROM on the Max 2 which I have been enjoying.

So I am wondering, what's the next phone upgrade folks here are looking forward to or are planning to upgrade to?

jbmc83

The large phone segment is small so there aren't many options for those of us who like these large phone. I personally love large phones like the Max 2 because no notch and I love big screens, big battery, and I don't keep my phone in my pocket (I keep it in my purse :p).

The only downside on phones in this segment are software and camera since neither of Google, OnePlus or Nokia make such large phones. But I am currently running the Pixel Experience ROM on the Max 2 which I have been enjoying.

So I am wondering, what's the next phone upgrade folks here are looking forward to or are planning to upgrade to?

well ill be sticking to my MM2 for a while, but if i were on the market for a new phone, it would most likely be one of the following:

Mi Max 3 (natural choice as the MM2 successor)
Pocophone F1 (compromise of smaller display and battery but very high end hardware and well supported in the community, total OnePlus 6(T) competitor if u ask me!)
Mate 20 (Pro) (awesome specs and style, but sadly locked bootloader. so just a choice for those who could live without any AOSP custom roms)

Shaolian

Jan 19, 2011
I think the biggest potential going forward will be the foldable phones/tablets. Imagine a 5-incher AMOLED unfolded into a 7-plus inch tablet.

The manufacturers will need to get this right.

jbmc83

I think the biggest potential going forward will be the foldable phones/tablets. Imagine a 5-incher AMOLED unfolded into a 7-plus inch tablet.

The manufacturers will need to get this right.
ooor, as in the case of the mi max class: a 7 inch phone unfoldable into a 10-12 inch tablet :D

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

sirdickens

Mar 29, 2012
Well, if you ask me I will this time buy a last year's (or maybe even two years old flagship device). I really love modding and flaghisps seems to be getting the best of it as most developers get either flaghisps or few mid-range high selling devices. Max series are sepcific device, and even though I like the big screen I think not so many people are interested in it; including: regular people, developers and even Xiaomi People due to releasing incomplete sources :( Plus, I think that with flagships you are investing even better in the future. You can sell it easier, you get way better hardware and if you don't get time to modd it and actually get to love the device you can keep it for years as hardware has evolved so much and has potential to last for years to come. This is my two cents on this topic ;)

Sooo, my next device, if in 1-2 years it gets enough of developers love (and they most probably will) will be one of these (has to have official bootloader unlocking method):
- Mi Mix 3,
- Mi Mix 2s,
- OnePlus 6T or
- if they get to 6,4+ no notch screens maybe something from Mi 8,9,10 series

Last edited:

SaiTejVejju

Nov 10, 2018
Mi Max 2 replacement

First of all, Mi Max 2 is just really awesome. I will use it some more time before replacing with a newer one. But, Here are the mobiles that I might prefer for replacement:
Huawei Mate 20X- My only gripe is the FHD+ display given the price tag. Otherwise, an excellent device.
Honor Note 10
Pocophone F1
Mi Max 3
Honor 8x Max
I would like to know what others think of mate 20xx :):)

jbmc83

First of all, Mi Max 2 is just really awesome. I will use it some more time before replacing with a newer one. But, Here are the mobiles that I might prefer for replacement:
Huawei Mate 20X- My only gripe is the FHD+ display given the price tag. Otherwise, an excellent device.
Honor Note 10
Pocophone F1
Mi Max 3
Honor 8x Max
mate 20 is really awesome, but as i said before: honor and huawei phones are out of the question now because u cant unlock their bootloader, that means no custom roms ever for those devices!

Elementstv

Jan 2, 2019
I already bought Samsung galaxy note 9 but to tell you the truth I have a hard time letting go of mi max 2. The note 9 screen feels tiny compared to mi max and I keep thinking that maybe I made a mistake in buying the note 9 . Also I found that the mi max 2 combined with the gcam mod of pixel 3 produces better pictures in low light with night mode than note 9. I know that it might sound unrealistic but it is the truth. The one only things that I prefer in note 9 is the qi charging, the USB c to hdmi capability and the better speakers. All in all keep enjoying your mi max 2 and Dont rush into a new smartphone.

Reactions: jbmc83

FlamingGoat

Dec 14, 2011
Well the mate 20 x can now be bootloader unlocked and rooted so possibly going to be moving there in the next month if nothing else interesting crops up. The Note 10 will probably be great but the screen is too narrow for my liking.

ne0t

Feb 23, 2017
I already bought Samsung galaxy note 9 but to tell you the truth I have a hard time letting go of mi max 2. The note 9 screen feels tiny compared to mi max and I keep thinking that maybe I made a mistake in buying the note 9 . Also I found that the mi max 2 combined with the gcam mod of pixel 3 produces better pictures in low light with night mode than note 9. I know that it might sound unrealistic but it is the truth. The one only things that I prefer in note 9 is the qi charging, the USB c to hdmi capability and the better speakers. All in all keep enjoying your mi max 2 and Dont rush into a new smartphone.

Could you please share with us which gcam mod of pixel 3 you're using on you Max2, tks.

wwwwe

Jan 11, 2015
I am bit worried which phone to get next. There is not any hurry though because this is still working pretty good.

Mi Max 3 has been unable to attract large development community (at least on XDA forums). I am afraid that the same is going to happen to Mi Max 4. Specially after Xiaomi made life of enthusiastists more difficult with recent decisions.

I wouldn't want to have any of those ridiculously small phones that seem to be the only other options.

RayfG

Jan 28, 2016
outa space
I am bit worried which phone to get next. There is not any hurry though because this is still working pretty good.

Mi Max 3 has been unable to attract large development community (at least on XDA forums). I am afraid that the same is going to happen to Mi Max 4. Specially after Xiaomi made life of enthusiastists more difficult with recent decisions.

I wouldn't want to have any of those ridiculously small phones that seem to be the only other options.
Phone ist good for 2 more years. I stay to it.
But after, no more Huawei, they are not political correct and i do not give my money to them anymore.

paq1170

Jun 12, 2015
Abuja
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Mi Max 3 or 4. I dont think my eyes and hands will want anything smaller. I came from a very small phone (xperia z5 compact) to this very large phone. Just like moving from a mini cooper to a hummer!

Besides the pricing is just right, i dont need all the power of SD 845, nor the picture quality of a Canon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, the Mate 20 X sounds absolutely superb but the bootloader kills it stone dead for me. I'd love a Mi Max Pro with amoled and 845, it would be an instant buy.
    Honor Note 10
    Pocophone F1
    Mi Max 3
    Honor 8x Max
    mate 20 is really awesome, but as i said before: honor and huawei phones are out of the question now because u cant unlock their bootloader, that means no custom roms ever for those devices!

Enjoying my Mi Max 3 since I dropped my Mi Max 2 and no one stocks a screen for it. Repairmen look at me like I have 2 heads! ?
    mi max 4 ?
    I have low vision.