What's the effect of Second Space on battery life?

Search This thread

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
For those of you who use Second Space. I want to use it plain as my guest mode with nothing really running in parallel. What will it do to the stellar battery life I'm enjoying now?

iay30465

Feb 16, 2018
second space has the same battary and speed impact as using fdu encryption in android, if you already have your android encrypted the battary and performance impact will be the same

hongjiu923

Jan 31, 2011
I have used second space for about 3 weeks and for me there was a significant impact on battery life. Without second space.. I can last a full day with moderate usage. With second space running and switching back and forth, my phone is usually out of juice at around 3-4pm, having started my day at 8am

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007
I have used 2nd space for almost two years and never ran out of battery in a day. I charged around 11:30 pm and usually had about 32-60% remaining. Heavy GPS use could get me to about 20%. My usage is non-standard however. I use an ancient Blackberry 8100 for voice and text. I used data-only sims in the note 3 (snapdragon), no voice calls.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
I have used 2nd space for almost two years and never ran out of battery in a day. I charged around 11:30 pm and usually had about 32-60% remaining. Heavy GPS use could get me to about 20%. My usage is non-standard however. I use an ancient Blackberry 8100 for voice and text. I used data-only sims in the note 3 (snapdragon), no voice calls.
You've mentioned a Blackberry and a Note 3. So what do you use the Mix2 for? Do you own a Mix2?

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007
Oh, "Mi" bad. I missed that the question was for a specific phone. I made the assumption, unwarranted, that all Xiaomi phones would reflect similar behavior from running 2nd space. I also own a Mi 5s, but it eats battery so fast while doing little or nothing that I don't even take it out of the house. It has 2nd space active, but it was a poor performer before 2nd space. I think it is because of the Snapdragon 821. It's a sportscar that just can't slow down.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
Oh, "Mi" bad. I missed that the question was for a specific phone. I made the assumption, unwarranted, that all Xiaomi phones would reflect similar behavior from running 2nd space. I also own a Mi 5s, but it eats battery so fast while doing little or nothing that I don't even take it out of the house. It has 2nd space active, but it was a poor performer before 2nd space. I think it is because of the Snapdragon 821. It's a sportscar that just can't slow down.
Interesting. That's the first I'm hearing of any Xiaomi phone having poor battery life. Thanks for the info on 2nd space.

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007
Interesting. That's the first I'm hearing of any Xiaomi phone having poor battery life. Thanks for the info on 2nd space.[/QUOTE
Your comment got me interested in digging a little further. The biggest battery drain was Chrome, even when I force quit Chrome and reboot. I finally can't uninstall it, but I did install Firefox and finally, I do not see Chrome taking huge amounts of power. I also turned on MIUI optimization, although it is hard to say from various postings if this is good or bad. Regardless, the battery is crying for a charge again already. I'm next going to load a CPU program to limit the top speed of the processors and see what effect that has. This is a great phone...if you keep it plugged in.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
Interesting. That's the first I'm hearing of any Xiaomi phone having poor battery life. Thanks for the info on 2nd space.[/QUOTE
Your comment got me interested in digging a little further. The biggest battery drain was Chrome, even when I force quit Chrome and reboot. I finally can't uninstall it, but I did install Firefox and finally, I do not see Chrome taking huge amounts of power. I also turned on MIUI optimization, although it is hard to say from various postings if this is good or bad. Regardless, the battery is crying for a charge again already. I'm next going to load a CPU program to limit the top speed of the processors and see what effect that has. This is a great phone...if you keep it plugged in.
Your battery problem lies elsewhere and it's not the soc. The Mi 5s has very good battery life. Take a look at your setup and what apps you're running. By default miui kills all non-system apps. I suspect you have installed something that's misbehaving.

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007
Many people have reported symptoms identical to mine: very hot operating temperatures, very short battery life. Others have tried various MIUI versions, various non-stock ROM configurations, various power and app configurations, all to no avail. Very interestingly, two people have asserted the problem is the process running the fingerprint reader. One reported that the heat and battery problems ceased when the qualcomm biometric service was halted (not sure how that was accomplished). As for installation of misbehaving apps, this phone was this way out of the box. I literally do not use it for anything beyond running the Xiaomi vacuum, which in contrast to this phone sucks positively, and an ebay app. I stopped using Chrome a few days ago, because it showed high idle use, but still the battery life is very short. I have a Redmi Note 4 here which is at 48% battery as I write this. It was last charged on the 2nd of June. It has been sitting idle with only periodic use. During the same time period, the Mi5s has required many full charges.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Your battery problem lies elsewhere and it's not the soc. The Mi 5s has very good battery life. Take a look at your setup and what apps you're running. By default miui kills all non-system apps. I suspect you have installed something that's misbehaving.

Following on to my post above, which I should have included below your post, I dug up more information from xiaomi.eu and the miui forum by searching "qfp service battery drain" in google. One comment:" It's a well known fact that starting from 8.2 (on Mi5S) the qfp-service is preventing deep sleep and causing battery drain." But another posting disputes the version-related association: " I have a problem with my Mi5S with Xiaomi.eu 7.1.20 ROM. After few days of usage I noted a strange battery drain, especially when the phone is in idle. Looking for the reason of this drain I found that qfp-service (fingerprint sensor) is doing hundreds of wakelocks." Another interesting avenue of investigation: "A couple of friends with Chinese Dev ROM say that they haven't any problem with qfp-service and battery is awesome. I think the problem is with Xiaomi.eu ROM" The apparent best solution is this one: "new update now with a "final" solution. i just uninstalled the qualcomm qti biometrics fingerprint service completely with a root uninstaller. the cpu wakelocks stopped immediately, fingerprint sensor is still working fine."

Last edited:

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
Many people have reported symptoms identical to mine: very hot operating temperatures, very short battery life. Others have tried various MIUI versions, various non-stock ROM configurations, various power and app configurations, all to no avail. Very interestingly, two people have asserted the problem is the process running the fingerprint reader. One reported that the heat and battery problems ceased when the qualcomm biometric service was halted (not sure how that was accomplished). As for installation of misbehaving apps, this phone was this way out of the box. I literally do not use it for anything beyond running the Xiaomi vacuum, which in contrast to this phone sucks positively, and an ebay app. I stopped using Chrome a few days ago, because it showed high idle use, but still the battery life is very short. I have a Redmi Note 4 here which is at 48% battery as I write this. It was last charged on the 2nd of June. It has been sitting idle with only periodic use. During the same time period, the Mi5s has required many full charges.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Following on to my post above, which I should have included below your post, I dug up more information from xiaomi.eu and the miui forum by searching "qfp service battery drain" in google. One comment:" It's a well known fact that starting from 8.2 (on Mi5S) the qfp-service is preventing deep sleep and causing battery drain." But another posting disputes the version-related association: " I have a problem with my Mi5S with Xiaomi.eu 7.1.20 ROM. After few days of usage I noted a strange battery drain, especially when the phone is in idle. Looking for the reason of this drain I found that qfp-service (fingerprint sensor) is doing hundreds of wakelocks." Another interesting avenue of investigation: "A couple of friends with Chinese Dev ROM say that they haven't any problem with qfp-service and battery is awesome. I think the problem is with Xiaomi.eu ROM" The apparent best solution is this one: "new update now with a "final" solution. i just uninstalled the qualcomm qti biometrics fingerprint service completely with a root uninstaller. the cpu wakelocks stopped immediately, fingerprint sensor is still working fine."
Thanks for the clarifications. First, I'm not a fan of custom roms as they tend to introduce more problems than they supposedly" solve", all for the sake of stock android.

I recall that when I first got my Redmi Note 3 Pro there was a wakelock or battery drain that puzzled me too. After doing some research I learned that there's a system app called xxxx. qualcomm.xxx (I can't remember the name exactly) that was causing it and could be disabled. Once I did that I was good to go.

My Note 3 came with a vendor rom and no matter how good a rom might be, it can never match the optimizations of the original. It's very possible that your phone came with a vendor rom as they were fond of selling them that way in order for gapps to work out of the box. My suggestion would be to put the latest original Miui9 on your phone and work from there. Personally I see no reason for custom roms because miui gives the user so much control over their phone anyway.

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for the clarifications. First, I'm not a fan of custom roms as they tend to introduce more problems than they supposedly" solve", all for the sake of stock android.

I recall that when I first got my Redmi Note 3 Pro there was a wakelock or battery drain that puzzled me too. After doing some research I learned that there's a system app called xxxx. qualcomm.xxx (I can't remember the name exactly) that was causing it and could be disabled. Once I did that I was good to go.

My Note 3 came with a vendor rom and no matter how good a rom might be, it can never match the optimizations of the original. It's very possible that your phone came with a vendor rom as they were fond of selling them that way in order for gapps to work out of the box. My suggestion would be to put the latest original Miui9 on your phone and work from there. Personally I see no reason for custom roms because miui gives the user so much control over their phone anyway.

That's a good point. The Mi5s has the latest over the air from Xiaomi, but maybe it's from the vendor? Never had any problem with the other three Xiaomi phones I have owned. I do like specialized roms a lot, but I like Second Space more. That's the only reason I have not put alternate builds, especially Revolution Remix, on the phones I've owned. I'm glad you have prompted me to look into the root cause (no pun intended) of this issue. Since removing the fingerprint password and not touching the fingerprint reader, the phone's power use after rebooting has gone way, way, way, WAY down. Maybe. I'm looking at 228mah current drain, which is nothing. I'm going to take the phone out on a walk today and see how it does. If It is "fixed", then I will look at rooting it just to get rid of the Qualcomm module so that I can use the fingerprint reader without draining the battery. I really do not want to unlock the bootloader, but it seems there is no choice in order to get root.

Last edited: