Question What's the most "updated" version? QPR1 or Sep. OTA?

Search This thread

NuclearBastard

May 22, 2012
As title says :)

What's the current version with most "fixes"?
I'm aware that QPR has August security updates (I don't mind), but does it also fix something that the September OTA doesn't?

Thanks!

Reactions: vonDubenshire

vonDubenshire

Feb 10, 2018
USA
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
LG Nexus 5X
The "latest" is usually gonna be there QPR beta, but remember: it's still a beta and could always have have issues.

Here's what I'm on (Pixel 6 Pro).
Screenshot_20220919-050625.png
Screenshot_20220919-050644.png

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010

I'm aware that QPR has August security updates (I don't mind), but does it also fix something that the September OTA doesn't?

Thanks!
QPR1 Beta 1 is the latest with the August security update. The Sept update wasn't available upon release although it is now. Next version should include all security patches. But more than the FPR, which is now flawless, the network connectivity is incredible. Instant reconnect, no drops and better in places I never had it before. So hang in there we'll get the new update soon.

And P6 and P6P had the update by the time it was released which you can see in the screenie above.

Reactions: kkjb

NuclearBastard

May 22, 2012
QPR1 Beta 1 is the latest with the August security update. The Sept update wasn't available upon release although it is now. Next version should include all security patches. But more than the FPR, which is now flawless, the network connectivity is incredible. Instant reconnect, no drops and better in places I never had it before. So hang in there we'll get the new update soon.

And P6 and P6P had the update by the time it was released which you can see in the screenie above.
Awesome, thanks!
The phone will be in my hands only next week, just wondered whether I should enroll to betas or keep the official OTAs.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Awesome, thanks!
The phone will be in my hands only next week, just wondered whether I should enroll to betas or keep the official OTAs.
That's a good question which I can't answer for you. I heard the Sept update fixed the FPR but I'm not sure about the connectivity. The beta fixes both but it's a risk since it is a beta. I don't do betas since my bootloader is locked but this time I did and I don't regret it. I'd try the official to start and see how it responds for you. You can always join in but opting out requires a full wipe, i.e factory reset.

Reactions: kkjb
D

Deleted member 10740347

That's a good question which I can't answer for you. I heard the Sept update fixed the FPR but I'm not sure about the connectivity. The beta fixes both but it's a risk since it is a beta. I don't do betas since my bootloader is locked but this time I did and I don't regret it. I'd try the official to start and see how it responds for you. You can always join in but opting out requires a full wipe, i.e factory reset.
Hmm. When you say its locked, is it by choice or is google blocking the oem unlock? Some people say even in android 13 the option is grey.
Mine is fine though

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hmm. When you say its locked, is it by choice or is google blocking the oem unlock? Some people say even in android 13 the option is grey.
Mine is fine though
I won't have a phone that cannot be bl unlocked, so it's by choice. Although, any time I install a beta or even a sideload update I will flip the OEM unlock switch just so I can recover if anything goes awry. Most often I'll flip it back for security purposes but not when I'm running a beta.

NuclearBastard

May 22, 2012
After enrolling to beta program, are users still getting official OTAs as they are released between beta versions? Or is it just beta route until a wipe?

Edit-
Oh, OK apparently it more straightforward than I thought! Taken from Google's beta program page:

"During the beta program’s release cycle, there will be stable releases to the public (the official platform release followed by Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs)). When you apply the stable release update for the version you’re beta testing, you can opt out without a data wipe for a limited time until you apply the next beta update."

Apparently you can enroll to beta, download and install QPRs, and every time there's an official OTA in between you can update to it and then you're basically out of beta until you flash the next QPR.
That is, if I understand it correctly 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: dexlemaffo

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
After enrolling to beta program, are users still getting official OTAs as they are released between beta versions? Or is it just beta route until a wipe?

Edit-
Oh, OK apparently it more straightforward than I thought! Taken from Google's beta program page:

"During the beta program’s release cycle, there will be stable releases to the public (the official platform release followed by Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs)). When you apply the stable release update for the version you’re beta testing, you can opt out without a data wipe for a limited time until you apply the next beta update."

Apparently you can enroll to beta, download and install QPRs, and every time there's an official OTA in between you can update to it and then you're basically out of beta until you flash the next QPR.
That's not what they mean. If you are on a beta build you can't just decide to take a monthly update. You can only take the next QPR1 update which will be Beta 2. When the beta program ends, and only when it ends, you will be upgraded to the latest stable build. So for instance you are on the beta 13 but the stable build is A12. Then the stable A13 drops and all beta users are offered that with no wipe. Enrolling in a beta such as QPR1 will not wipe the device due to enrollment. But flashing the build ,I presume from the below line, will wipe. Confusing so someone might want to jump in on this to clarify. This is the line you were looking for:

Warning: Flashing to a beta build from a production build—or going back to a production build from a beta build—requires a full device reset that removes all user data on the device. Make sure to back up the data from your Pixel first.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Here's the deal. You enroll in the QPR Beta program (currently on QPR1 Beta 1). When the stable release of QPR1 is released (probably sometime in December) and you apply that release (it will be offered to Beta users as well), you can then unenroll without having to wipe for a short time period preceding the next beta release (QPR2 Beta 1) that same month. If you unenroll before the stable release of QPR1, you will have to wipe.

Btw, the monthly security updates are included in the beta builds.

Oh, and the A13 QPR Beta program is due to run "through March 2023". Originally it was supposed to run until June 2023 but they changed it, maybe because they will probably release the 1st Android 14 Developer Preview in April 2023 and didn't want to have two "Beta" programs running at the same time.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!

Edit-