• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Whatsapp battery drain

Search This thread

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
Is there a way to limit contacts used by Whatsapp to a specific group only ?
When the app is using the entire address book (very large) it seems the battery is draining very fast and the phone gets
extremely hot.

cereal.killer

Feb 10, 2009
Rome, Italy, Italy

cornelha

Dec 14, 2007
Cape Town
The problem here is not the app, its not the rom or the device. The problem here is simply that using data drains the battery, speciall when on 3G. Battery drain is just one of those things we have to deal with when we have smart phones. They do more than ordinary dumb phones. Using the 3G radio will greatly decrease the charge because its constantly negotiating for signal and shunting data back and forth. If you want to decrease the drain, chat less, switch to 2G only, send less pics/vids/birthday cards from random website that looks cute.

gdencio

Jan 10, 2013
Dili
It's a bit strange, my battery drained a lot for the last few days after upgrading Whatsapp to the new version 2.9.4207. my battery drains faster than before, if i could have 1 day with 3G on, it is now only up to 3 hours maximum..
i hope it is not app that causes the problem since i relied on it too much to communicate with frenz..
i'm using An Xperia P btw

aniefer

Dec 21, 2010
It's a bit strange, my battery drained a lot for the last few days after upgrading Whatsapp to the new version 2.9.4207. my battery drains faster than before, if i could have 1 day with 3G on, it is now only up to 3 hours maximum..
i hope it is not app that causes the problem since i relied on it too much to communicate with frenz..
i'm using An Xperia P btw

I also have been experiencing increased battery drain in the past few days. The only recent change I have made is installing Whatsapp.

cornelha

Dec 14, 2007
Cape Town
The problem here is not that the app is not well written, but the fact that the app uses data. Any application that uses data constantly will drain your battery, a hot phone usually indicates 3G use, 3G radios tend to get hot when they are used for extended periods. The same thing happens to a USB 3G Modem. The only way to prevent your battery going flat so quick, would be to stop using the device. There is an application somewhere that actually disables your radio (wifi or 3G) for a period, puts the device into deep sleep and then wakes it up to check for notifications. This might help a bit with your problem.