WhatsApp Orphan/Unreferenced Media Cleanup

Search This thread

WDS

Dec 19, 2009
Hello All,

Can anyone help me with one problem, please? This is regarding WhatsApp media history. It is growing too large and consuming space with unnecessary media files.
I did "Clear chat" activity for some threads I believed were obsolete. But surprisingly, although chats were cleared, media files themselves were left untouched in the file system!

As a result I now have lots of orphan media files, which are not referenced in any WhatsApp chat. I cannot simply delete WhatsApp Media folder from the file system, as I have useful media there.

So my question: is there any way to scan the WhatsApp Media folder and delete orphaned/unreferenced media files?

I'm using Galaxy S8.

Thank you!

theunf

Jul 30, 2008
São Paulo
I'm on same page in 2019.

Whatsapp backup on android seems to do a differencial backup on all files of whatsapp folder and is always larger than whats being listed on Storage option.

My ratings are so bad: Storage says 17gb and backup says 60gb ;/

If I use file manager apps to delete dupes, some chats will not present the media.

It would be awesome to have an app to defrag whatsapp chats and media files.

hassan987

Nov 5, 2010
Any update on this issue ? Its driving me nuts having close to 20 gigs of unreferenced media in my phone.....I'm pretty sure Whatsapp can easily introduce a "cleanup" feature based on the same algorithm that generates the "storage" figure.

Once its done cleaning the Drive backup is as easy as deleting the old backup and creating a new one.

Question is what's the best way to submit this "feature request" which is in fact more like a bug report?

theunf

Jul 30, 2008
São Paulo
I'm in 2022 and with the same issue for years. Love to know who to code for Android/IOS and have Whatsapp integration options so I could search for each media file agains each group or direct channel to do :
- remove duplicated/triplicated media content by replace the file reference in groups/conversations ;
- than process all orphaned files that are not located in group/conversations discussion.