Whatsapp restore from local backup : Working method April 2022

Search This thread

vickylahkarbytes

Dec 25, 2013
Hello everyone,

This troubleshooting guide is related to the situation where you have a backed up .crypt14 fle (data base file) for Whatsapp and are unable to restore the local backup for Whatsapp using the .crypt14 file and you have no back up done at Google Drive. Just follow the steps I mention and you will get your back up restored from the .crypt14 file in no time.

1. Install Whatsapp. Sign in using mobile number.

2. In Whatsapp, go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. Next Select option Back up to Google Drive = Only when I tap “Back up”

3. Switch of Mobile data and Wifi.

4. Now hit Back up button.

5. As soon as Back up shows file uploading to Google drive > Immediately switch to Aeroplane Mode.

6. Press home button on your mobile.

7. Use a file explorer app. Copy the .crypt14 file (your database file) and paste it to /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.whatsapp/Whatsapp/Database. Rename it as msgstore.db.crypt14. Overwrite all files.

8. Now switch on Wifi (or Mobile data). Now whatsapp will start to upload your old local database file to Google drive.

9. When complete, uninstall Whatsapp and re-install .

10. Sign in whatsapp, now whatsapp should restore data from your old local database file which you had backed up to Google drive in your previous installation.

Hope this helps to solve your Whatsapp restore from local backup problems.

Thank you. Vicky.

Reactions: mukurtcu

TheArKa

Jul 31, 2017
The upload process is continuing while the airplane mode is off so the process failed immediately.

#Edit
Well, it works actually. Just wait until the "backup locally" finish, and then the google backup process bar will appear then turn on Airplane Mode.

Last edited:

kakashiOnKb

Sep 1, 2022
Hello everyone,

This troubleshooting guide is related to the situation where you have a backed up .crypt14 fle (data base file) for Whatsapp and are unable to restore the local backup for Whatsapp using the .crypt14 file and you have no back up done at Google Drive. Just follow the steps I mention and you will get your back up restored from the .crypt14 file in no time.

2. In Whatsapp, go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. Next Select option Back up to Google Drive = Only when I tap “Back up”

5. As soon as Back up shows file uploading to Google drive > Immediately switch to Aeroplane Mode.

7. Use a file explorer app. Copy the .crypt14 file (your database file) and paste it to /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.whatsapp/Whatsapp/Database. Rename it as msgstore.db.crypt14. Overwrite all files.

8. Now switch on Wifi (or Mobile data). Now whatsapp will start to upload your old local database file to Google drive.

10. Sign in whatsapp, now whatsapp should restore data from your old local database file which you had backed up to Google drive in your previous installation.

Thank you. Vicky.
this was very clever indeed, it worked , but now ysterdays chats are gone, is there a way to sync my yesterdays chat????

Sana313

Nov 21, 2022
Hi Vicky. Thank you for literally saving me from a broken heart. My whatsapp backup just disappeared off google drive before I could restore and WhatsApp support was useless. I thought I lost 9 years of chat history until i came across your post. It worked for me with a back up i have from June. But the backup from August didnt work. Anyone know why? Nevertheless i am happy to lose 5 months vs 9 years.

Also please note Step 3. Put ON your wifi/mobile data. Not OF/F.

Thank you once again.

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Hey @Alecxs

Overseen your message here.
I'm on Android 13 on my new phone now, and things seems to have changed quite a bit now.

Don't actually see an option to go to the /data/ folder anymore. Well, the folder is still there but it looks empty when opened. Even when "show hidden files" selected.

I actually managed to upload the backed up sticker backup file now as it seems.
I need to wait until whatsapp is starting to upload. Which is easy to do by dragging the notification screen down already after hitting "backup". As soon as a google drive notification appears it's easy to hit flight modus from here.

Seems it's actually uploading the bigger sticker backup file too, since it's taking much more time. The same goes for restoring after re-installation. Then the same sticker file seems to be downloaded into the backup folder.
So looks good so far. But unfortunatelly there're no stickers to be found in Whatsapp.

Edit:
I've tried it again to be sure the actual replaced stickers.db.crypt14 file was uploaded to Drive.
And it seems it does.
- the actual file is 50,76MB
- i had checked the backup folder after removing whatsapp, and the complete whatsapp folder was gone.
- after reinstalling it teturned. But without the backup folder in it.
- after hitting backup. Whatsapp showed that a complete backup of around the same size was coppied.
Screenshot_20230114-230745~2.png

- after checking the whatsapp folder again after restoring. The backup folder was there again. This time with the "stickers.db.crypt14" with the exact size of the backed up file.

So it seems that part worked until there. But I can't find the stickers back in whatsapp.

I'm talking about a lot of dtickers I had saved as favourites, but the favourite tab stays empty.

Last edited:

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
afaik backup to google drive is one-way, unless you wipe app data and setup WhatsApp from scratch. I am not firm with WhatsApp (never used)

I know it once was possible to get encryption key from unrooted device, but won't help you in that case.

[email protected]

Jul 5, 2015
Kumasi
afaik backup to google drive is one-way, unless you wipe app data and setup WhatsApp from scratch. I am not firm with WhatsApp (never used)

I know it once was possible to get encryption key from unrooted device, but won't help you in that case.

Hello everyone,

Thank you. Vicky.
Another workable method
1. Install Whatsup using older version. Don't open it.
2. Press home button on your mobile.
3. Use a file explorer app. Copy the .crypt14 file (your database file) and paste it to
/storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.whatsapp/Whatsapp/Database. Rename it as msgstore.db.crypt14. Overwrite
all files.
4. When complete, install latest whatsup apk to update the old version.
5. This time open it and follow through the registration and you will be given the option to restore from local backup
6. Press ok and restore.

tinko975

Dec 3, 2013
Zagreb
I had only local backup, gdrive backup was corrupted.
I did this:

Turn off the backup on Drive in WhatsApp and make a regular backup in the cell phone's memory.
Go to drive.google.com > sprocket in the upper right corner > Settings > Manage Apps > WhatsApp Messenger > click on options and Disconnect from drive
This will disconnect WhatsApp from Drive, because when reinstalling on the S21, WhatsApp asks you "well, you have a backup on Drive - do you want to use it?" and you can either take that backup or continue without a backup.
The backup of WhatsApp is located in the mobile phone's memory in the folder WhatsApp > Databases. You need the one called msgstore.db.crypt14 (no date).
It's a common place, but on Samsung, it's now in Android > media > com.whatsapp > WhatsApp > Databases, so look there if you can't find it in the folder above.

You install WhatsApp on the S21 and transfer msgstore.db.crypt14 to the WhatsApp > Databases folder on the internal memory (create it if it doesn't exist).
You start WhatsApp on the S21 and now it should tell you that it has found a backup on the mobile phone, so if you want to restore from it - select it and the messages will be restored.

But as you can guess from the fact that msgstore.db.crypt14 is about 100MB - it's just text messages.
For media, you need to copy the entire WhatsApp folder from Mate to S21. It contains subfolders Backups, which has some wallpaper and profile settings, and Media, which has subfolders WhatsAppImages and similar - so you can copy only the things you want.

m3adn

Jan 30, 2023
Hello everyone,

Thank you. Vicky.
Thanks alot, it helped!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you can extract stickers if you pull encryption key from /data/data/com.whatsapp/files/key
    Hello everyone,

Thank you. Vicky.
    Hi,

I tried it without a success. Any other idea how to do it? I lost all the history :(
    you can extract stickers if you pull encryption key from /data/data/com.whatsapp/files/key