- Oct 19, 2010
Amazing, thank you!Hello everyone,
This troubleshooting guide is related to the situation where you have a backed up .crypt14 fle (data base file) for Whatsapp and are unable to restore the local backup for Whatsapp using the .crypt14 file and you have no back up done at Google Drive. Just follow the steps I mention and you will get your back up restored from the .crypt14 file in no time.
1. Install Whatsapp. Sign in using mobile number.
2. In Whatsapp, go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. Next Select option Back up to Google Drive = Only when I tap “Back up”
3. Switch of Mobile data and Wifi.
4. Now hit Back up button.
5. As soon as Back up shows file uploading to Google drive > Immediately switch to Aeroplane Mode.
6. Press home button on your mobile.
7. Use a file explorer app. Copy the .crypt14 file (your database file) and paste it to /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.whatsapp/Whatsapp/Database. Rename it as msgstore.db.crypt14. Overwrite all files.
8. Now switch on Wifi (or Mobile data). Now whatsapp will start to upload your old local database file to Google drive.
9. When complete, uninstall Whatsapp and re-install .
10. Sign in whatsapp, now whatsapp should restore data from your old local database file which you had backed up to Google drive in your previous installation.
Hope this helps to solve your Whatsapp restore from local backup problems.
Thank you. Vicky.
I've lost all my messages because of some error. In the WhatsApp log it was saying that the database disk image is malformed.
All my previous attempts to restore my messages failed but your instructions work!
The only problem now is that backups fail now with the error message "unable to back up messages".
Any clue how I can fix it?