• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Whatsapp server side upgrade from last night - all data moved to android/media/com.whatsapp folder from /internalstorage/whatsapp

Search This thread

whatsappbug

Jun 18, 2021
Hi,
since last night I cannot access any of my photos, videos, voice recordings, stickers etc in the whatsapp app.
I've noticed that a new folder was created under /android/med/whatsapp.com, but only tiny bit of the files was moved there.
Ther rest still stays in the older location /internal storage/whatsapp. But whatsapp does not take info from these folders and it looks like it's all empty.

What I've tried so far - move a few gfiles to the new location - still whatsapp app claims there are no photos or videos to be shown (although I moved them to the new location).

Tried to backup to to google drive and restore - I get an error.
I know that it's caused due to android API 30 on android 11 and up - apps can access only their own folders, but it seems like the migration on whatsapp's part was horrible.
I have friends with the same situation but with a few files. My whatsapp back is around 39 GB.

Anyone found a solution yet? I contacted whatsapp support with no feedback so far.

Attachments

• backup.JPG
    backup.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 4
  • file does not exist.JPG
    file does not exist.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • New folder.JPG
    New folder.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • older.JPG
    older.JPG