• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Whats's the best ROM for stability?

Search This thread

tinybilbo

Aug 25, 2011
Just retired my daughter's K1 (after almost 3 yrs!) for a new Xiaomi Mi Pad 4. She's happy!

So the K1 has found it's way into the family "pool".

I just want to wipe it and put something relatively stock on it for basic browsing, media playback (Kodi) and the odd game (like minecraft for multiplayer).
I don't need anything fancy with loads of mods or overclocking kernels, l'm looking more for compatabilty (everything working) and stability and maybe battery life,

There are just too many options for ROMs to choose from...

Can I get a few recommendations please! :)

Thanks

lost2

Sep 4, 2006
Lisboa
Just retired my daughter's K1 (after almost 3 yrs!) for a new Xiaomi Mi Pad 4. She's happy!

So the K1 has found it's way into the family "pool".

I just want to wipe it and put something relatively stock on it for basic browsing, media playback (Kodi) and the odd game (like minecraft for multiplayer).
I don't need anything fancy with loads of mods or overclocking kernels, l'm looking more for compatabilty (everything working) and stability and maybe battery life,

There are just too many options for ROMs to choose from...

Can I get a few recommendations please! :)

Thanks

I've been using https://forum.xda-developers.com/sh...om-lineageos-14-1-15-1-shield-tablet-t3950786 ROM as LineageOS is no longer available.

There is an 14.1 and an 15.1 (Android 8.1.0). I'am using 15.1 as long as it gets security updates.
I found it overall good but not very fast/responsive. Although it's a gaming tablet I'm just using it for web browsing, listen to podcasts, youtube, very light ocasional games and that's it.

Please read the issues you'll have to deal with on each version:
- Hardware video decoding does not work (only 15.1)
- WIFI works, but there are problems with the security function PMF. If this is disabled, everything works. (wiki) (only 14.1)

Didn't try https://forum.xda-developers.com/sh...m-aospextended-rom-v6-7-shieldtablet-t4063675 yet but I'll post some comments as soon as I have something.

Regards