When was your Z2 manufactured?

Search This thread

TheOnlyIntruder

Jan 13, 2009
Earlier on today I was messing about with my SD card, took it out of the phone to use it in a camera and as I put the sd card back into the phone I noticed a little black tab much like the sim card tray so I pulled it out with a pair of tweezers (the same thing I do to remove the sim card tray, my fingers are just too fat for that fiddly thing) and to my surprise I found the information you would find usually behind a battery cover and such, the IMEI number, other serial numbers and of course, the manufacturing date.

I figured I'd make this thread so people could establish a timeline of what batches of phones have issues.

As for mine it is 14W15, I assume this means 2014, week 15 between the dates April 7th to the 13th, if this is the case, wow, really is a brand new phone as I received it on the 22nd of April.

As for things I've noticed with mine, I have very minor issues, being a very slight gap at the top right (it's not as large as others have reported theirs to be, it's less than a millimetre) and slightly off centre camera lens. As for anything else, well I can record 4k video for possibly over 10 minutes (I've only gone as far as 10 minutes because of storage concerns) and I felt the phone being warm but certainly not hot.

So what about your phones guys?

Dec 1, 2011
14W16 for me.

No gap, no off centre camera lens, got warm (not hot) after 12 minutes of 4K recording.

No issues at all with the handset I got (besides Three UK sending me the wrong colour, which I've decided to keep anyway :p)

platosearwax

Jan 4, 2013
Bergen
14W17 for mine.

That means that mine was manufactured 2 weeks ago and was sent last Friday (received Monday) so barely a week old when it was sent. I have no gap, no off-center lens. Mine gets warm for sure, but not as hot as my old S3 used to get sometimes. Haven't tested 4K video yet.

SexyIceCream

Oct 11, 2010
14W16 for me.

No gap, no off centre camera lens, got warm (not hot) after 12 minutes of 4K recording.

No issues at all with the handset I got (besides Three UK sending me the wrong colour, which I've decided to keep anyway :p)

12 minutes! that's much longer than the reported 3-4 minutes all over the web :eek: can i dare to hope that the overheating issues have been resolved? :silly:

Reactions: Coby2014

kamrul.auntu

Apr 16, 2011
Dhaka
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Any comments about the build quality/performance?

Build quality is good. Not noticed anything like you got your one. Performance is satisfactory. Basically till last month I was using Galaxy Note 3. Once S5 launched, I bought S5 on the global launch day. S5 was bit disappointing to me especially battery life, over heating, lake of RAM, sometimes lagging. Then I jumped to Z2. The main reason is to jump for Z2 is, 3200 mAh battery, 3 GB RAM. Z2 somewhat meet my expectation but not so much. I found Z2 display is very dim in outdoor/direct sunlight compare to S5 even with note 3. Inspite of having same size of battery and ram, Z2 charge stay less then note 3. I found Z2 camera as awesome. But still I have complaint about low ringtone volume, auto brightness not work properly, earpiece can't produce smooth call quality, some of my caller complained me that sometimes they get noise in call.

But I believe these problems can be solved with a firmware bug fix. I am just waiting for this.

Last edited:

deepflash

Jun 6, 2011
Fellbach
14W16 German Sim unlocked.
No problems so far regarding gaps.didn't test 4 know video yet

Sent with Tapatalk through my Sony Z2

numskull

Oct 19, 2010
Mine is 14w15, if your right on what this means that means i recieved my phone on the saturday of the week it was made (got it on 19th april). As far as the phone goes, seems fine, 1 very small gap top right (less then 1mm) i dont believe this will affect waterproofing (altho i havent tested yet), no other issues, only recorded 4k once...... deliberately to crash it lol managed 5 mins 4 seconds and it saved the video

ahvipardik

Aug 3, 2012
Week 16, 4k crash on about 2mins.
Edit: crash ka 1.14 min.
Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

bombdog

Jun 5, 2011
Toon
White 14W16 here through Three UK.

No gaps anywhere, one dead pixel (meh), have been dunking it regularly into water and filming things in 4K for 3 mins+ without incident.

Only time it's gotten a little too hot (39.5 battery temp) was when I was downloading a large file over 4G and then transferring to SD. Plus it was charging and it was in a very warm office so lots of reasons to get too hot there.. but it didn't shut down or warn that it was going to.

Otherwise flawless device.

kersey

May 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
Have just recorded 6mins of 4k video and the temperature warning only came up when I stopped the recording. Not sure how much longer it would have gone on for. The temperature was 40c when stopped manually...

bape4y8u.jpg

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

strongylad28

Jun 10, 2012
Mines 14W16

Don't see any gap, but I will look online at what and where the gap is. 4K I havent tested yet, camera lense isnt perfectly central (Slightly up and left of centre)

Waterproofing seems fine, however volume decreased hugely when playing music, then dunked. I think its returned to normal now though

drknezz

Aug 11, 2010
Melbourne
14W16. No gap issues. No overheating that I'm aware of. Recorded a 6+min 4K video and didn't get too hot, just a little warm below the camera lens.

Australian stock, recieved it on 1st May in black. Really happy with the battery performance too. No arguments from me :)

ILS_SuperNova

May 3, 2010
Well mine is 14W16 which sounds new according to last page.. Have a gap on from top right and same on back but top left above camera.. I get overheating on 1080p video up to 12 mins so far.. Got overheating message at 7 mins yesterday :(

Sounds like they started ironing out gap issues and overheating half way through 14W16 production :/

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

corallus

May 5, 2011
14w15 purple
4k overheat at 5 and half minutes
No gap issue
2 dead pixels

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Earlier on today I was messing about with my SD card, took it out of the phone to use it in a camera and as I put the sd card back into the phone I noticed a little black tab much like the sim card tray so I pulled it out with a pair of tweezers (the same thing I do to remove the sim card tray, my fingers are just too fat for that fiddly thing) and to my surprise I found the information you would find usually behind a battery cover and such, the IMEI number, other serial numbers and of course, the manufacturing date.

I figured I'd make this thread so people could establish a timeline of what batches of phones have issues.

As for mine it is 14W15, I assume this means 2014, week 15 between the dates April 7th to the 13th, if this is the case, wow, really is a brand new phone as I received it on the 22nd of April.

As for things I've noticed with mine, I have very minor issues, being a very slight gap at the top right (it's not as large as others have reported theirs to be, it's less than a millimetre) and slightly off centre camera lens. As for anything else, well I can record 4k video for possibly over 10 minutes (I've only gone as far as 10 minutes because of storage concerns) and I felt the phone being warm but certainly not hot.

So what about your phones guys?
    mind sharing pictures mate? :)

Took a couple of quick pictures from the crappy ipad camera, ignore the little differences between the 2 sides as that is a botched screen protector job :)

qzj6f6.jpg

2mneowm.jpg
    I still think the compromised waterproofing capabilities of the gaps are being blown way out of proportion. First and foremost I do not claim to know whether gaps do or do not compromise the Z2 being waterproof but these are my observations that lead me to believe it's not as big of a problem as people are making it out to be:

1. The active userbase of XDA is probably a lot smaller than the actual number of people who own the phone. The majority of the people outside of this community may not even know about this gap issue. Since the Z2s waterproof capabilities is marketed as a major feature of the device, I would assume that the average consumer would try and dunk the phone in water before doing any research on it whatsoever. I'm purely estimating here but let's just say that XDA compromises 10% of Z2 owners and that they all know about the gap issue, that leaves 90% for the general population, and then let's say 25% of devices are afflicted with the gap issue. And even if only half of the general population submerged their phone in water, we're looking at a huge number of devices that have had their phones submerged, yet there are very few, if any, reports of water damaging the phones. There have been cases of condensation in the lens, but I think that is caused by the large temperature difference between the inside of the phone and the outside, causing the air inside to condensate.

2. I decided to take a look back on the teardown that was done on the Z2 and found something interesting.

http://www.static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Xperia-Z2-disassembly-guide_6.jpg

Here's a picture of the back panel removed from the phone. If you look at the phone, the edges have a lip on them, this is where the back panel is attached to the phone. In order for water to seep through to the internals, it would have to penetrate the layer of adhesive that connects the back panel to the phone. I'm pretty sure that in order to get an official IP rating, design as well as materials must adhere to their standards. This leads me to believe that the adhesive used will not succumb easily by being exposed to water. I'd be more concerned about the overheating issues softening the glue, but as long as the panel isn't lifted up, no bubbles should form within the adhesive. I'm assuming that a similar design is used for the front panel as well.

These are purely my observations and should not be taken as fact. I just hope to ease people's minds so that they can take more time enjoying the device and not nitpicking every little thing about it, but rather focus on larger issues such as the force close during 4k video recordings. Sorry for the wall of text
    14W16 for me.

12 minutes! that's much longer than the reported 3-4 minutes all over the web :eek: can i dare to hope that the overheating issues have been resolved? :silly:
    14w39 only creaking when pressing sony logo from behind, dont know if its worth exchaning. Could get one even worse

Have the same and only thing so I think it's not worth exchanging.