Where is the apk file downloaded from Google play stored

wesleyel

Apr 20, 2012
Abuja
I have a question. You download an app from google play store to your device. And it fails to install due to device incompatibility or certificate error.
So where is the downloaded apk file stored in the device. Like in windows we have a temp folder, do we have a temp folder where the apk file is stored temporarily?

Sent from my FIH-FB0 using xda premium

jonah1234

May 29, 2012
I have a question. You download an app from google play store to your device. And it fails to install due to device incompatibility or certificate error.
So where is the downloaded apk file stored in the device. Like in windows we have a temp folder, do we have a temp folder where the apk file is stored temporarily?

Go into ur file manager SD card, and the is a .idmTEMP folder is that it???

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

paarkhi

Jan 12, 2011
Don't you think that if there is a compatibility error or incompatibility then it'll straight away not install or not even show as available for your device... Can't say anything about certificate error

wesleyel

Apr 20, 2012
Abuja
Don't you think that if there is a compatibility error or incompatibility then it'll straight away not install or not even show as available for your device... Can't say anything about certificate error
It shows actually its after its downloaded and about to install that it usually shows up as incompatible. but where is the downloaded apk from Google play stored.

Last edited:

abenagiel

Feb 5, 2011
Jakarta

open your rootexplorer and go to /cache/download
there was the Google play storing the downloaded files..

qalter

Sep 21, 2010
hello camrades
For this purpose, I use the Quick System Info (in Google Play)
It allows you to export to a SD card already installed in any way the application
Search on the SD card in the catalog /backups/user/...

Reactions: HTCDreamOn

yannick.12

Apr 18, 2013
Root /data/app is my 2 cent...
Here's yet another answer ;)

I just tried to download an app from google play -- 50 megs -- and the app successfully downloaded, but the install failed because I didn't have sufficient memory. But I had still lost 50 megs of phone storage space :-/ which I eventually traced back to /data/cache/ ; there was a 50-meg file in there called downloadfile.apk .

Reactions: wesleyel

GUNDUL46

Nov 12, 2012
if yours download temp doesn't deleted automatically try this.
create new file without extension example "04mountdl" and put this script.

#!/system/bin/sh

CACHESIZE=$(df -k /cache | tail -n1 | tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f2)
DATAONLY=$(getprop dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only)
if [ "$DATAONLY" = "1" ]
then
NEEDED=60000
else
NEEDED=105000
fi

if [ $CACHESIZE -lt $NEEDED ]
then
mount -o bind /data/local/download /cache/download
fi

rm /cache/download/downloadfile*.apk >/dev/null 2>&1

exit 0

save file and copy to /system/etc/init.d folder.

Sent from my Axioo-VIGO410 using xda premium

rydog66

Dec 21, 2012
Toledo, Ohio
In my case they seem to be under /mnt/asec
But there is one I can't find. Google's Music Player, the one you use when playing music you have stored in Google's Cloud.
Thank you, This information is still accurate for me on my NeXuS 7 It was driving me CRAAAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYYYYYY so I am sooooo super appreciative!!!!
Cheers,

Jan 1, 2012
Bangalore

open your rootexplorer and go to /cache/download
there was the Google play storing the downloaded files..
Helpful post! But my phone (neo v) does not seem to have /cache/download directory!
It seems that this vares from rom to rom.

I thought that, the Playstore app uses /data/local to temporarily store .apk files while downloading, then installs them from there, and finally removes the temporary download-file (which then goes to /data/app).

Last edited:

wesleyel

Apr 20, 2012
Abuja
Helpful post! But my phone (neo v) does not seem to have /cache/download directory!
It seems that this vares from rom to rom.

I thought that, the Playstore app uses /data/local to temporarily store .apk files while downloading, then installs them from there, and finally removes the temporary download-file (which then goes to /data/app).
Check /mnt/asec its usually there for some phones. I think its the way some mobile phones allocate and handle memory that affects, maybe the rom also affects.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: reversegear

m3xician

Feb 2, 2011
Houston
Thank You

Looks like I'm Having a similar issue with a different device it seems like the device can't extract/copy the temp file to the correct location from the temp folder and the Install fails Leaving you with a drive full of cache files I'll continue looking and let anyone know anything useful I find

:highfive: