Where is the Samsung FM Radio App called "Radio"?

Search This thread

whatever69

Apr 9, 2012
Moto Z2 Play
Hi everyone,

I just bought this phone and tried it out in Staples (Canada) and even tested the FM Radio app called "Radio" from Samsung.

Sure enough, after buying it, there is no native Samsung Radio App. I called Samsung and did the online chat, and they said they haven't released it, but clearly, they deploy it when the put the phones in "Demo Retail Mode" in the stores, but not when you are using the phone!

I tried downloading many version from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/samsung-radio/ but all say "Can't install App" when trying to install the APK.

Does anybody know how to get this app? NextRadio works, but their app keeps losing features and won't let me auto-scan.

Thank you!!

whatever69

Apr 9, 2012
Moto Z2 Play
Hi everyone,

I just bought this phone and tried it out in Staples (Canada) and even tested the FM Radio app called "Radio" from Samsung.

Sure enough, after buying it, there is no native Samsung Radio App. I called Samsung and did the online chat, and they said they haven't released it, but clearly, they deploy it when the put the phones in "Demo Retail Mode" in the stores, but not when you are using the phone!

I tried downloading many version from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/samsung-radio/ but all say "Can't install App" when trying to install the APK.

Does anybody know how to get this app? NextRadio works, but their app keeps losing features and won't let me auto-scan.

Thank you!!

The specific error I get from adb is:

a50:/ $ pm install -r --user 0 /data/local/tmp/radio/radio.apk
Failure [-3001]

I've tried so many combinations and it always comes back with that Failure [-3001] error

drpmch

Jun 17, 2014
delhi
Radio App is available in A50 indian version out of box.see attachment

Attachments

• 20190824_000131.jpg
    20190824_000131.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,623

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Have you ever thought about that the North American SKU doesn't have hardware to make it work?

whatever69

Apr 9, 2012
Moto Z2 Play
Have you ever thought about that the North American SKU doesn't have hardware to make it work?

The hardware is there. I can install NextRadio and listen to FM. It's just that the only app I can get is NextRadio, and it's missing RDS and auto scan, which the Samsung Radio app has.

I contacted Samsung by chat and they said they are not releasing it, even though I have FM on the phone, and the store that had the demo phone that I used had it! Talk about bait and switch.

whatever69

Apr 9, 2012
Moto Z2 Play
Ugh. I think you're onto something @madd0g

Just got this reply from Samsung:

Alexa at 20:18, Aug 23:
Samsung always considers customers feedback while releasing further updates.
Alexa at 20:19, Aug 23:
For any Samsung Canadian devices, the FM option is not available.
Alexa at 20:19, Aug 23:
Hope you understand.

But I can actually still use the FM radio. Samsung is not being nice here!

whatever69

Apr 9, 2012
Moto Z2 Play
So it looks like a signing thing. Probably need root to install it:

08-23 20:42:06.293 4453 4527 D PackageManager: START INSTALL PACKAGE: observer{17944267}
08-23 20:42:06.293 4453 4527 D PackageManager: stagedDir{/data/app/vmdl911232079.tmp}
08-23 20:42:06.293 4453 4527 D PackageManager: stagedCid{null}
08-23 20:42:06.293 4453 4527 D PackageManager: Request from{null}
08-23 20:42:06.293 4453 4527 D PackageManager: VerificationInfo{,originatingUid=-1,installerUid=2000}
08-23 20:42:06.652 4453 4499 D PackageManager: EAS IT Policy com.sec.android.app.fm isPackageSignedByPlatform = false
08-23 20:42:06.657 4453 4499 I PackageManager: EAS IT Policy AllowList = ,,
08-23 20:42:06.657 4453 4499 I PackageManager: isAppBlockedByDPM?? = false
08-23 20:42:06.880 4453 4499 D PackageManager: sendBroadcastAsUser. PACKAGE_INSTALL_STARTED
08-23 20:42:06.883 4453 4499 D PackageManager: EAS IT Policy com.sec.android.app.fm isPackageSignedByPlatform = false
08-23 20:42:06.905 4453 4499 W PackageManager: verifying app can be installed or not
08-23 20:42:07.558 4453 4499 D PackageManager: result of install: -3001{17944267}

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Yeah, it might be that the hardware could be there, but they deliberately blocked it from just sideloading it, probably because they need to pay some special royalties or **** like that.

sarcasma1

Sep 8, 2019
Download NextRadio and it should work!!!

Hey guys and gals, I registered after reading this thread. The FM radio hardware is in fact present even though Samsung says its not. I have a Canadian Galaxy A50 purchased from staples, model SM-A505W. There is no pre-installed radio app on the phone. Even though I can not install the Samsung Radio APK attached in this thread, I was able to use NextRadio (free on the app store), and tune into my local stations directly without the internet. So don't listen to Samsung, go ahead and download NextRadio, you will be happy you did. I'm sure there is other FM tuner apps out there, but NextRadio was simple to use, and you can even output the radio to the phone speaker while the headphones are connected, so you can all listen. This will be so useful on canoe trips.

open

Hope this helps!

Reactions: whatever69

tech_dude

Jun 9, 2015

!WARNING!

DON'T click on the above '[Click for QR Code]' separate link to the right of the separate 'HybridRadio_P.apk' link posted above by 'yamen_tn' in Post #14 because it first displays a QR Code that when you scan the QR Code with your phone it takes you to a website that asks you to create a new account and then says that it needs your credit card information for verification purposes and says it won't charge your credit card, but then the company/website makes a fraudulent charge to your credit card!!! :mad: NOT COOL!!!

XDA Developer website Moderator please remove this link ASAP!

Last edited:

yamen_tn

Oct 30, 2013
!WARNING!

DON'T click on the above '[Click for QR Code]' separate link to the right of the separate 'HybridRadio_P.apk' link posted above by 'yamen_tn' in Post #14 because it first displays a QR Code that when you scan the QR Code with your phone it takes you to a website that asks you to create a new account and then says that it needs your credit card information for verification purposes and says it won't charge your credit card, but then the company/website makes a fraudulent charge to your credit card!!! :mad: NOT COOL!!!

XDA Developer website Moderator please remove this link ASAP!

the file is an attachment so its uploaded to xda servers and it was safely downloaded more then 500 times. the problem is just in your side. try using an other browser

KelCapiten

Aug 15, 2020
Any solutions yet?

still can't install the official sumsang radio app,
Snapdragon US version Galaxy S10 plus.
Does anybody have a solution?...not a third party app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like they removed it from the North American version. Can any of you upload the apk?
    Download NextRadio and it should work!!!

Hey guys and gals, I registered after reading this thread. The FM radio hardware is in fact present even though Samsung says its not. I have a Canadian Galaxy A50 purchased from staples, model SM-A505W. There is no pre-installed radio app on the phone. Even though I can not install the Samsung Radio APK attached in this thread, I was able to use NextRadio (free on the app store), and tune into my local stations directly without the internet. So don't listen to Samsung, go ahead and download NextRadio, you will be happy you did. I'm sure there is other FM tuner apps out there, but NextRadio was simple to use, and you can even output the radio to the phone speaker while the headphones are connected, so you can all listen. This will be so useful on canoe trips.

open

Hope this helps!
    Thanks it works well without data or wifi on.
    No, I haven't. As you said, the official Samsung app just don't installs and, as far as I can see, the alternative applications do not support the SOCs by Exynos...

Rooting? Maybe, but I think that if it's a problem with signing it won't work even with root.
    Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to re-sign an application (I'm actually stopping way long from there :) )
    Cloneapp does exaxtly that: a copy re-signed app. Does not work....