Where is the write protection switch?

Search This thread
V

viii_xvi

I've been trying to unbrick my Pixel C and I believe the only way I can is to disable the write protection. I have read the front camera flex is the switch and to disable it, the camera has to be removed. Can someone point out to me which part it is? I don't want to mess up my tablet more than I have already. Also, is it safe to remove the front camera and close the tablet up?

Samt434

Sep 10, 2015
Have you tried this before ?

I've been trying to unbrick my Pixel C and I believe the only way I can is to disable the write protection. I have read the front camera flex is the switch and to disable it, the camera has to be removed. Can someone point out to me which part it is? I don't want to mess up my tablet more than I have already. Also, is it safe to remove the front camera and close the tablet up?

Man i think you haven't tried this for your tablet : Pixel c can boot images directly from fastboot !
Just do fastboot boot TWRP.img ;)
That's it !

V

viii_xvi

Man i think you haven't tried this for your tablet : Pixel c can boot images directly from fastboot !
Just do fastboot boot TWRP.img ;)
That's it !

I've already tried what you're suggesting and get "remote: image verification failed". I've tried overwriting the recovery partition with TWRP but get "remote: unsupported command". I also have no recovery so I cannot run the fwtool command.

I didn't mean for that to sound passive aggressive (if it did) but I've been trying to unbrick it for the past 3 weeks. I wouldn't resort to opening up my tablet unless it's the last thing I could do. Unluckily for me, it is the only thing I haven't tried.

Last edited:

parakleet

Mar 2, 2011
Google Pixel C
Google Pixel 7a
If I am reading your posts correctly.
the fastboot boot twrp did not work

yet you have tried with twrp to overwrite the partition.... later stating that you have no recovery installed.

leading me to believe that you can boot into twrp. at some point.

If that is the case I say walk the TWRP version backwards until you find one that allows you to get past the write protection.

Just a thought

I've already tried what you're suggesting and get "remote: image verification failed". I've tried overwriting the recovery partition with TWRP but get "remote: unsupported command". I also have no recovery so I cannot run the fwtool command.

I didn't mean for that to sound passive aggressive (if it did) but I've been trying to unbrick it for the past 3 weeks. I wouldn't resort to opening up my tablet unless it's the last thing I could do. Unluckily for me, it is the only thing I haven't tried.

V

viii_xvi

If I am reading your posts correctly.
the fastboot boot twrp did not work

yet you have tried with twrp to overwrite the partition.... later stating that you have no recovery installed.

leading me to believe that you can boot into twrp. at some point.

Let me clarify. By overwrite, I meant flash TWRP through fastboot. As I have foolishly deleted my recovery, I am left with fastboot. Like I stated before, flashing TWRP or booting TWRP through fastboot doesn't work. So, I have turned to disabling the write protection switch.

Suggesting fixes is not the focus of the thread. Pointing out the hardware write protection is. If you can kindly return to that topic, it would be appreciated. I mentioned my tablet being bricked as context to why I am asking for the write protect to be pointed out.

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Let me clarify. By overwrite, I meant flash TWRP through fastboot. As I have foolishly deleted my recovery, I am left with fastboot. Like I stated before, flashing TWRP or booting TWRP through fastboot doesn't work. So, I have turned to disabling the write protection switch.

Suggesting fixes is not the focus of the thread. Pointing out the hardware write protection is. If you can kindly return to that topic, it would be appreciated. I mentioned my tablet being bricked as context to why I am asking for the write protect to be pointed out.

Is this post any use https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67094250&postcount=9

bernardomarx

Dec 31, 2021
I removed the display and disconnected the front camera flex.
But no luck: the device is still secure!

> fastboot getvar secure yes