where to begin to port to a newer Lineage Release?

Search This thread

bluess57

Dec 31, 2019
Doing a make clean for me means waiting 8 to 10 hours for a build. That's something I want to avoid when I'm trying out fixes, new code, etc. At minimum, even the simplest change takes 15 minutes to compile.
What specs on pc/build machine here ? sounds excessively slow.
using ccache ? Currently getting cache hit rate 94.96 %
Grab an SSD and start building on that.
Clean build here in under an 1hr, a dirty build 3mins

garak elim

Mar 18, 2014
I have these two lines in my .bashrc file

export USE_CCACHE=1
export ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx10G"

garak elim

Mar 18, 2014
What specs on pc/build machine here ? sounds excessively slow.
using ccache ? Currently getting cache hit rate 94.96 %
Grab an SSD and start building on that.
Clean build here in under an 1hr, a dirty build 3mins

#### build completed successfully (01:02:01 (hh:mm:ss)) ####

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I had CCACHE=50GB at one point, but then I repartitioned my main boot drive and forgot to add it back in so my cache was sitting at 5GB with a 38% hit rate. However, even before when it was 50GB, it would still take 8 to 10 hours to compile. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the cache hit rate stats back then so I have no idea.

My build machine is a i5 660 @ 3.33Ghz, 12GB DRAM and multiple used 250GB to 500GB hard drives that I recently bought for $2.50 CAD each.

I tend to use older hardware that I get for free because they are broken and require repair or buy them for very little money. I get the most use out of them by using lean OS and lean applications.

For my i5 660 compile machine, it cost me $10 CAD with 4GB DRAM + no hard drive. This is the fastest computer I have at home. I have multiple computers at home for use, but most are older Intel duo core E8500 with 2GB to 4GB DRAM. They work perfectly fine for my simplistic use.

I just updated 2 of my roms with the latest Jan 2021 patches. Both builds were untouched since the Dec 2020 security patches until I did a repo sync today.

SM-T350. Compiler needed to compile over 5,000 files (out of 70,000).

#### build completed successfully (01:33:44 (hh:mm:ss)) ####

SM-T560NU. Compiler needed to compile over 5,000 files (out of 70,000).

#### build completed successfully (01:37:24 (hh:mm:ss)) ####

I have 2 more roms to build as I write this. I suspect both will take roughly 90+ minutes each as well. I use one hard drive for each rom so I can keep all the changes separate.

If this were my "day job", I would invest in a faster machine, 32GB DRAM and multiple 1TB SSD drives. I have learned to schedule my day around compile times.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I have 16.0 klimtiwif SM-T700 booting now. With the same changes from SM-T800, it got stuck at the boot animation. I had to remove [email protected] so it would boot. I know the sensors code is still pending merge so I'm not too worried about this.
I now have SM-T700 with p-multihal merged and sensors working. I suspect the problem with the above where I had to remove the [email protected] was because I was using an old KitKat blob which I didn't know at the time.

I updated the sensors blob to Android 6 stock and now SM-T700 works with sensors and [email protected] as per

garak elim

Mar 18, 2014
This path too, but I meant path /lineagehw/org/cyanogenmod/hardware/DisplayColorCalibration.java to change to /lineagehw/org/lineageos/hardware/DisplayColorCalibration.java

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Hey Guys,

i wanted to check what to do, for trying to port a newer Lineage release to this device.
Any hints where to begin?

I luckily compiled the 14.1 branch yesterday.
But what to do next?

Regards for the hints

Anyone want to take this up? apparently this developer has been making Lineage versions up to 17.1 for the Docomo version of the Tab S 8.4 cellular version (like the SM-T705)

Last edited:

knosso

Oct 5, 2017
Hi guys, I'm just a user and I have a Klimtlte so it's not the focus of your development. However I would like to help with your builds. If there is a way to provide my computing power to build tell me so hopefully you don't have to wait as much (or most likely you wait the same amount of time but in the meantime you can use your pc for something else). I have a 6 core phenom 1090t which seems old when you say it but I have yet to encounter something that old beast cannot do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone want to take this up? apparently this developer has been making Lineage versions up to 17.1 for the Docomo version of the Tab S 8.4 cellular version (like the SM-T705)

klimtdcm uses SD800, unlike most other klimt variants with E5420. The only other similar variant is Verizon's but that one is non-unlockable to begin with.
    Additionally, I would be happy to provide compute power if needed, I saw some discussion earlier about compiling on an original Core CPU. My development experience is nonexistent beyond CS courses some 20 years ago, but given instruction I can do most anything. 5900X CPU, 32GB RAM.
    I'm a bit worried at how desolate this thread is becoming. I bought my tablet hoping this would come to fruition 🤷🏼‍♂️.
    Hey Guys,

i wanted to check what to do, for trying to port a newer Lineage release to this device.
    Any hints where to begin?

I luckily compiled the 14.1 branch yesterday.
    But what to do next?

Regards for the hints
    I tried compiling 16.0 for chagallwifi (T800) over the fall and ran into a number of compiler problems, but when I finally got it to compile, the resulting image wouldn't boot. A lot of those problems have now been fixed in gerrit.

I also tried 15.1 last week, but ran into a number of compile problems. Then I noticed a lot of activity on https://github.com/exynos5420 and https://review.exynos5420.com/ wrt to 16.0 so I tried again yesterday and today and I had to make 2 modifications for it to compile, but the result is an image that won't boot. The recovery image won't boot meaning somethings wrong with the boot/kernel stage.

Hopefully the team will make more modifications over the holidays and I will have a bootable 16.0 image?
    I have a 16.0 SM-T800 build booting now. Now I have to go through and see what works and doesn't work. This will take a couple of days.

I will also document what patches I needed to make this work not only for myself, but for other future builders.
    but the result is an image that won't boot. The recovery image won't boot meaning something's wrong with the boot/kernel stage.
    This kernel config parameter change was required to let kernel boot.

CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP=y

I have never heard or seen this parameter and I would have never figured it out.

After it booted, then it got stuck at the boot animation and needed this patch (I knew this from adb logcat while it was booting)

Code:
     12-25 16:59:24.616  E  [2636/2636] System   ******************************************
     12-25 16:59:24.617  E  [2636/2636] System   ************ Failure starting system services
     12-25 16:59:24.617  E  [2636/2636] System   java.lang.IllegalStateException: Signature|privileged permissions not in privapp-permissions whitelist: {com.validity.fingerprint: android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS}                                                                                                 

12-25 16:59:24.618  D  [2636/2636] AndroidRuntime Shutting down VM
     12-25 16:59:24.619  E  [2636/2636] AndroidRuntime *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: main
     12-25 16:59:24.619  E  [2636/2636] AndroidRuntime java.lang.IllegalStateException: Signature|privileged permissions not in privapp-permissions whitelist: {com.validity.fingerprint: android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS}
    As to what's currently not functioning:-
    camera video recording
    sensors /sensor hal may not be fully functional
    RIL
    + whatever else I can't recall atm
    What I found so far.

Doesn't work
    1. home button doesn't wake up tablet. I think I know what is wrong and I'm compiling another new build, but it will take about 1 hour to complete.
    2. screen rotation - which I think is due to pending merge hal/sensor changes
    3. MTP, this could be due to my eng build for debugging purposes
    4. camera - changes not merged. When I try a repopick -t Camera-Bringup, I get cherry-pick errors so I'm going to wait until it's all merged before I test camera.

Works
    1. wifi (5 and 2.4)
    2. bluetooth
    3. brightness
    4. external audio
    5. audio through headphones
    6. GPS - needs this yet to merged patch

I'm not a git expert. Everytime I use it, I struggle with the commands to upload patches. But most of the problems with chagallwifi are because chagalllte commits aren't applied to it which is understandable if the developers have the LTE version.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone