Where to begin with a p5113 roms etc.?

Search This thread

Samantha003

Jan 18, 2022
My end goal is to be running an OS that can get me to eventually run youtube netflix etc on the device.

What's the latest android version and or rom that should be installed? After some reading Lineage OS may be the thing I'm looking for.

But with so many versions of each thing, it's difficult to find something concise.

I'm of course a noob.

Depends on what you want to use it for. Would not recommend installing Google Apps because it turns the tablet into a laggy mess. The latest android version right now is Oreo with only 1 rom that is not even close to be usable as a daily driver. So Marshmellow and Nougat is the way to go. And compared to some thing like the Grand Prime the Tab 2 has a tiny amount of versions. You will probably find something that works in Unified. I don't know if Netflix runs without gapps but you can install YouTube vanced no ads and works with out gapps. I use Orion OS

Last edited:

Samantha003

Jan 18, 2022
Depends on what you want to use it for. Would not recommend installing Google Apps because it turns the tablet into a laggy mess. The latest android version right now is Oreo with only 1 rom that is not even close to be usable as a daily driver. So Marshmellow and Nougat is the way to go. And compared to some thing like the Grand Prime the Tab 2 has a tiny amount of versions. You will probably find something that works in Unified. I don't know if Netflix runs without gapps but you can install YouTube vanced no ads and works with out gapps. I use Orion OS
Thanks for the reply. I got as far as rooting the device. Stuck on installing lineage OS Via Phil (made thread) I will give Orion a shot when I get home. Hopefully it's simply that the lineage I'm downloading was not compatible and not an issue with the tablet.

Samantha003

Jan 18, 2022
I tried to install Orion OS

I chose Wipe the cache partition and then chose clean to install a new ROM, then loaded the ZIP

It's the closest I've gotten to installing a custom ROM

OrionOS system files verified
Flashing SuperSU
unmount of /system failed: no such volume
script succeded result was []
install from sd complete
press any key to continue

I then reboot and get taken back to phil, i reboot a second time and there was an orion logo, but it just stayed on a gif of planets after that

maybe i did something wrong along the way

or should i wait more than 10min? (orion page says it does it in 4)

Edit......

Solved it... somehow :)
I installed twrp instead of phil
Got the same exact errors though.

I rebooted like three times, then went to go get lunch for half hour (~35) and orion was installed.

My initial goal is reached, but the tablet may not be optimal for on the go use. I'll have to test some x265 x264 mkv video files and see how well they run.

Question:

Security wise, I don't have to do anything else?
I heard that since it allows installing from unknown sources it can theoretically be hacked.

Last edited:

I chose Wipe the cache partition and then chose clean to install a new ROM, then loaded the ZIP

Flashing SuperSU
install from sd complete

I then reboot and get taken back to phil, i reboot a second time and there was an orion logo, but it just stayed on a gif of planets after that

Edit......

I rebooted like three times, then went to go get lunch for half hour (~35) and orion was installed.

My initial goal is reached, but the tablet may not be optimal for on the go use. I'll have to test some x265 x264 mkv video files and see how well they run.

Question:

I heard that since it allows installing from unknown sources it can theoretically be hacked.
Security isnt a problem unless you install some weird apks or crap like that. Dont install gapps and it will be fast netflix may not work but there are some alternatives to yt. Gapps just make it lag. I heard that Nougat works better with gapps but idk. Also use TWRP it should work with everything.
That error happened to me too but its not really an error

If you wont use gapps here are some alternative apps
Aurora Store (play store)
Newpipe & Youtube Vanced (yt)
Kiwi Browser (chrome)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDoctor46

Samantha003

Jan 18, 2022
Awesome thanks guys :)

Yeah heard no GAPPS is better. Don't really need any of them looking back, not on the tablet at least, so that's good.

I got Aurora and Youtube Vanced on it now. Netflix appears to work, haven't logged in yet.

Disabled animation to make it more snappy.

I think that's all that can be done.

The reason I asked was because of prior posts saying that SuperSU was necessary, but I think it's already installed as it has been asking permission to install on a few things. My worry was things (apks?) auto installing if I went on browser.

Last edited:

Yeah heard no GAPPS is better. Don't really need any of them looking back, not on the tablet at least, so that's good.

I got Aurora and Youtube Vanced on it now. Netflix appears to work, haven't logged in yet.

The reason I asked was because of prior posts saying that SuperSU was necessary, but I think it's already installed as it has been asking permission to install on a few things. My worry was things (apks?) auto installing if I went on browser.
that wont happen you need to click on install first

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Flashing SuperSU
    install from sd complete

Edit......

Question:

Security isnt a problem unless you install some weird apks or crap like that. Dont install gapps and it will be fast netflix may not work but there are some alternatives to yt. Gapps just make it lag. I heard that Nougat works better with gapps but idk. Also use TWRP it should work with everything.
    That error happened to me too but its not really an error

If you wont use gapps here are some alternative apps
    Aurora Store (play store)
    Newpipe & Youtube Vanced (yt)
    Kiwi Browser (chrome)

that wont happen you need to click on install first