Where to buy (just) the module like PX30, PX5 or PX6?

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to build a Rockchip based head unit from spare parts I got from other units and only missing the System On Module piece like a PX30, PX5 or PX6 board (see pic). Looked everywhere but cannot seem find them, only already mounted on motherboards or aren't for Android Head units. Checked the normal places like Amazon, eBay, AliExpress and Alibaba.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rk3326 coreboard.PNG

Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
You mean an MTCx module. They're readily available, just expensive.

Also, none of these Chinese units are Android auto. They're a hacked Chinese Android.

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
You mean an MTCx module. They're readily available, just expensive.

Also, none of these Chinese units are Android auto. They're a hacked Chinese Android.
Yeah indeed they are. I was looking to buy a development board but they are equally expensive.

Interesting comment about these units not being true Android Auto. Could you elaborate on that?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Yeah indeed they are. I was looking to buy a development board but they are equally expensive.

Interesting comment about these units not being true Android Auto. Could you elaborate on that?
They are not Android auto. See/google certified units. These are a modified Android.
Android auto is basically screen mirroring, is that what you want.

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
They are not Android auto. See/google certified units. These are a modified Android.
Android auto is basically screen mirroring, is that what you want.
Ah I see, this is what I suspected you'd say but was hoping for finding out something I didn't know. I have to politely disagree with you however. The purpose of pure Android head unit is to have a separate car computer rather than extension of a mobile phone. There are so many limitations with Android Auto unless of course you are prepared to pay big big money. The big upside with these Chinese units is that they offer a good base for modders like me to make vast improvements (hardware- and software-wise) at a very low cost, making these units outperform anything out there in the market in price ranges up to $2,000 I would say, especially when it comes to sound quality as there is nothing in this price range that even comes close to Viper4Android as an example. The value is even higher if you get one of those 8227L units as they are considerably cheaper than Rockchip-based ones.

The only reason I would choose Android Auto instead of real Android unit is if I run true surround sound in my car (Dolby, DRS etc) rather than stereo or extended stereo. Mainly because I think there are limitations that are beyond modding or at least on a fairly intermediate level.

Last edited:

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
Ah I see, this is what I suspected you'd say but was hoping for finding out something I didn't know. I have to politely disagree with you however. The purpose of pure Android head unit is to have a separate car computer rather than extension of a mobile phone. There are so many limitations with Android Auto unless of course you are prepared to pay big big money. The big upside with these Chinese units is that they offer a good base for modders like me to make vast improvements (hardware- and software-wise) at a very low cost, making these units outperform anything out there in the market in price ranges up to $2,000 I would say, especially when it comes to sound quality as there is nothing in this price range that even comes close to Viper4Android as an example. The value is even higher if you get one of those 8227L units as they are considerably cheaper than Rockchip-based ones.

The only reason I would choose Android Auto instead of real Android unit is if I run true surround sound in my car (Dolby, DRS etc) rather than stereo or extended stereo. Mainly because I think there are limitations that are beyond modding or at least on a fairly intermediate level.
I believe @marchnz was referring to your use of the term "android auto" in your initial post.

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to build a Rockchip based head unit from spare parts I got from other units and only missing the System On Module piece like a PX30, PX5 or PX6 board (see pic). Looked everywhere but cannot seem find them, only already mounted on motherboards or aren't for Android Auto. Checked the normal places like Amazon, eBay, AliExpress and Alibaba.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 5146677
These machines can do "Android auto" but they are not recognized as 'android auto machines'.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
I believe @marchnz was referring to your use of the term "android auto" in your initial post.

These machines can do "Android auto" but they are not recognized as 'android auto machines'.
Just clarifying, these units are NOT Android auto. They might come with a number of screen mirror apps such as zlink but are not Android Auto.

Yes you can install the Android auto app on your head unit, but that's still not Android Auto. Refer google for Android Auto info.

Seems pointless wanting to screen mirror to a device that directly runs an app from the playstore....

[Android Auto is a mobile app developed by Google to mirror features from an Android device, such as a smartphone, to a car's compatible in-dash information and entertainment head unit. Once an Android device is paired with the head unit, the system mirrors qualified apps from the device to the vehicle's display, with a simple, driver-friendly user interface. ]

iceblue1980

Aug 14, 2020
London
Just clarifying, these units are NOT Android auto. They might come with a number of screen mirror apps such as zlink but are not Android Auto.

Yes you can install the Android auto app on your head unit, but that's still not Android Auto. Refer google for Android Auto info.

Seems pointless wanting to screen mirror to a device that directly runs an app from the playstore....

[Android Auto is a mobile app developed by Google to mirror features from an Android device, such as a smartphone, to a car's compatible in-dash information and entertainment head unit. Once an Android device is paired with the head unit, the system mirrors qualified apps from the device to the vehicle's display, with a simple, driver-friendly user interface. ]
Yeah okay I see what you're saying. I actually never used Android Auto app myself but I understand the value. And no, I don't understand either why anyone would be interested in mirror linking their phone to an Android Head unit.

I'm actually looking at buying another car and of course sound is one of the major areas that I look at, i.e how much I can improve, aftermarket options etc. Android Auto is supported by some newer car brands (I'm looking at BMW X6 or Mercedes AMG GLE 63 S) but normally is an upgrade option, quite an expensive one..