• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

" Where to go? "

Search This thread

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Ugh well that sucks. Maybe check swappa. They will most likely check the build numbers for you. As for grades, which doesn't really matter now since you're not ordering from them, the "open box" option didn't have grades.
Ugh all the Swappa sellers are considered "Enterprise" sellers, which just means I can't ask them questions about the build number. Unless I'm missing some other way to contact them, that's pretty lame. This is getting difficult to find!

• Angry
Reactions: danbest82

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I would use the seller who does no-questions-asked returns, and simply return it if it's the wrong build. For now, this seems to be the best option? I mean, you could certainly ask sellers otherwise as well, but you may be going back and forth for a while that way.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
I would use the seller who does no-questions-asked returns, and simply return it if it's the wrong build. For now, this seems to be the best option? I mean, you could certainly ask sellers otherwise as well, but you may be going back and forth for a while that way.
I don't want to do business with someone that can't be bothered to send me the product I'm looking for, or puts me through a roulette until I eventually maybe get it...

Reactions: tech_infinity

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
The latest. Seems I've got about 30 days... This "new" free cell phone from AT&T will be their cheapest crap, I'm sure.

They're shipping me this time bomb in a box, which will auto-activate in 30 days and disable my current phone -- even though they admit they are NOT shutting down their 3G network until February 2022.

UPDATE: Just ordered mint 128GB Galaxy S10+ (black) off Swappa.com. AT&T firmware, but carrier unlocked. No, I don't know which bootloader version it has. "New" (probably original firmware in box) cost too much, so went with mint.

I'll use my V30 until the phone AT&T is sending comes. I'll keep it to give to my daughter, and then switch over to S10+.

Screenshot_2021-07-16-09-36-05_2.png

Last edited:

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
The latest. Seems I've got about 30 days... This "new" free cell phone from AT&T will be their cheapest crap, I'm sure.

They're shipping me this time bomb in a box, which will auto-activate in 30 days and disable my current phone -- even though they admit they are NOT shutting down their 3G network until February 2022.

UPDATE: Just ordered mint 128GB Galaxy S10+ (black) off Swappa.com. AT&T firmware, but carrier unlocked. No, I don't know which bootloader version it has. "New" (probably original firmware in box) cost too much, so went with mint.

I'll use my V30 until the phone AT&T is sending comes. I'll keep it to give to my daughter, and then switch over to S10+.

View attachment 5363535
When the S10 arrives, let us know the BL version. If it's unlockable, I'll order one too!

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Indeed, sorry to hear that Chazz. The big carriers are all so damn clueless... I'm so glad I don't deal with them anymore!

Glad to hear you're heading to the S10 as well. It will be good to have "all of us" on the same platform there, where we can help each other again, I hope! Looking forward to hearing more - if you guys start posting threads or guides, I'd love to see your links here (even though it's not V30 related) so I know where to look. As I mentioned, my biggest annoyance on the Samsung side is that they keep talking about this and that, but often the instructions are limited to Exynos and not Snapdragon. They just aren't very consistent with posting that info, unfortunately, so I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out... very annoying. My hope is that "we" can make this clearer, haha!

Anyway, good luck to all your S10ers... and please let us know what does/doesn't work, so we know what to look for as well!

kgirlx

Nov 26, 2010
Well. I said I'd update after I got my s10+. Verizon sm-957u. Bought off swappa for 285, listed as good and seller posted pic of build v3. It arrived in good shape. I got it, updated it to latest version that can be unlocked, v4...Feb 2021, using Odin. Got ahold of the dude, from here, sent me to telegram, paid my 65 and off we went..now, I did use adb to disable OTA files he sent me in telegram, because in download mode, your WiFi needs to be on, Put phone into download mode, gave him DID #, token file link came not long after. Flashed in modded version of Odin, link provided by him, worked.. I only had a hiccup on my fault flashing the AIO file for Magisk, TWRP and AVB. Anyways... He answered all my stupid questions.. Walked me through it, always asking what was happening and me taking pics with my v30 and texting it through Telegram. Today...s10+ Phone is alive and I'm currently just debloating it, my v30 is still great, so need to switch all of sudden. But... Thanks to you guys on here for the s10 suggestion. Never, NEVER would I thought about a Samsung..... LOL

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Well. I said I'd update after I got my s10+. Verizon sm-957u. Bought off swappa for 285, listed as good and seller posted pic of build v3. It arrived in good shape. I got it, updated it to latest version that can be unlocked, v4...Feb 2021, using Odin. Got ahold of the dude, from here, sent me to telegram, paid my 65 and off we went..now, I did use adb to disable OTA files he sent me in telegram, because in download mode, your WiFi needs to be on, Put phone into download mode, gave him DID #, token file link came not long after. Flashed in modded version of Odin, link provided by him, worked.. I only had a hiccup on my fault flashing the AIO file for Magisk, TWRP and AVB. Anyways... He answered all my stupid questions.. Walked me through it, always asking what was happening and me taking pics with my v30 and texting it through Telegram. Today...s10+ Phone is alive and I'm currently just debloating it, my v30 is still great, so need to switch all of sudden. But... Thanks to you guys on here for the s10 suggestion. Never, NEVER would I thought about a Samsung..... LOL
For the record, who's the guy you contact for BL unlock? Did you mistype the model number, I'm seeing the Verizon S10+ as SM-G975U. Glad we have a VZ success story, going to search Swappa right now..

kgirlx

Nov 26, 2010
yep, part of my stupidity..it was a mistype. it is a sm-975u. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...unlock-for-samsung-us-canada-devices.4215101/
this forum is the guy, afaneh92, and then he will tell you to go to Telegram for payment and then all the rest after you have your phone. i had to ask quite a few people on Swappa, not everyone responds, i was looking every day for an individual seller. i made an offer for 275 on one and got rejected. im cheap..and i end up paying 285 for one. but its in great shape. my v30 is still in great shape, i wont use the s10 yet unless Big Red pulls some **** like what Chazz is going through on AT&T.

danbest82

I never thought I'd go Samsung either but here I am. It'd def be good to have all of you over on the Samsung s10+ side of things. You've helped me so much over the years with my V30. Everyone seems to actually do some research and help each other out. It's great.
As noted with Samsung, the Exynos varient has more mods and stuff but the Snapdragon at least has BL Unlock and root. Most of us were using the stock ROM on V30 anyway to work with our carriers.

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
If anyone has any sellers they would recommend, please let us know. My wife is having some issues with her V30, so I'm on the hunt now. S10+ is where we want to be, particularly because of the larger battery.

For those interested, it seems TW sells this phone directly as well: https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/tw-samsung-galaxy-s10plus so that means it is supported (the G975U1, at least)... and I'm guessing this also means it should be able to activate without issue as well.

I notice there is a "U" and a "U1" version of these phones. I guess "U" is a carrier version, but SIM-unlocked... while U1 has no carrier software, and is also SIM-unlocked. The latter may not support some features (VoLTE/VoWIFI/visual voicemail/etc?) on some networks, but I'm not sure if that's really true for TW/VZ... some threads say that on TMO it won't say that VOLTE is working (eg no "HD" indicator), but it does actually work...

There's a decent answer on this thread about the differences between U/U1: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...s/959825-s10-plus-model-number-confusion.html

Lots more reading to do, I guess... but any tips are appreciated!

danbest82

If anyone has any sellers they would recommend, please let us know. My wife is having some issues with her V30, so I'm on the hunt now. S10+ is where we want to be, particularly because of the larger battery.

For those interested, it seems TW sells this phone directly as well: https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/tw-samsung-galaxy-s10plus so that means it is supported (the G975U1, at least)... and I'm guessing this also means it should be able to activate without issue as well.

I notice there is a "U" and a "U1" version of these phones. I guess "U" is a carrier version, but SIM-unlocked... while U1 has no carrier software, and is also SIM-unlocked. The latter may not support some features (VoLTE/VoWIFI/visual voicemail/etc?) on some networks, but I'm not sure if that's really true for TW/VZ... some threads say that on TMO it won't say that VOLTE is working (eg no "HD" indicator), but it does actually work...

There's a decent answer on this thread about the differences between U/U1: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...s/959825-s10-plus-model-number-confusion.html

Lots more reading to do, I guess... but any tips are appreciated!
The "U" is definitely the carrier version but is sim-unlocked and "U1" is also sim-unlocked and free of carrier bloat. You can cross flash with Odin, similar to the V30 Frankenstein method. A dev goes into it Here . I use the Verizon version and it's surprisingly not filled with as much bloat as I've seen in other phones. I suppose you could flash a U1 ROM and see what works with your carrier, if things don't work, flash the carrier U version.

Reactions: schwinn8

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Quick question(s) for the new S10 users: How do you check to see which bootloader is on the phone? Which one are we looking for to ensure we can root in the future?

Second, is there a way to block the BL update (or updates in general)? Basically, I think we need to keep BLv2, but I don't want to root as soon as I get the phone... so I want to see how life is without root. But I don't want to lose the ability later on either... hence I figure if there's a way to block it, then that would be ideal.

I did search that subforum, but I'm not finding this info... yes, maybe I need to ask there, but I figured I'd ask here first to people that "know" me more, haha.

danbest82

Quick question(s) for the new S10 users: How do you check to see which bootloader is on the phone? Which one are we looking for to ensure we can root in the future?

Second, is there a way to block the BL update (or updates in general)? Basically, I think we need to keep BLv2, but I don't want to root as soon as I get the phone... so I want to see how life is without root. But I don't want to lose the ability later on either... hence I figure if there's a way to block it, then that would be ideal.

I did search that subforum, but I'm not finding this info... yes, maybe I need to ask there, but I figured I'd ask here first to people that "know" me more, haha.
I have V4 on my S10+. V5 BL was not unlockable at the time (and believe is still not).
IMG_20210527_173646_279.jpg

In developer options, I turned off auto update system .
Screenshot_20210804-095938_Settings.png

I also could have swore I disable updates in titanium backup but can't find it. I'll post when I do.

Reactions: schwinn8

danbest82

@schwinn8 you could also just unlock your BL and not root but then you'd be wasting money just to unlock it I suppose. I would imagine life without root would be doodoo to be technical. Lol.

Also, I guess I never froze any system updates after I rooted so turning that update option off in dev settings should be enough. When looking today, I decided to freeze "dynamic system updates 11" so I'll see if that breaks anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-121402_Titanium Backup.png
    Screenshot_20210804-121402_Titanium Backup.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 4

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I'm not sure I need root anymore, that's why I'm considering trying that. However, if I try it out for a while, and it updates behind my back, then I would be screwed for sure. That's why I wanted to see how to identify it and how to disable updates while I try living rootless...

Thanks for the info, I'll see what happens when I get my phones (haven't bought them yet, but plan to do so soon.)... any other tips you run across are welcome!

danbest82

I'm not sure I need root anymore, that's why I'm considering trying that. However, if I try it out for a while, and it updates behind my back, then I would be screwed for sure. That's why I wanted to see how to identify it and how to disable updates while I try living rootless...

Thanks for the info, I'll see what happens when I get my phones (haven't bought them yet, but plan to do so soon.)... any other tips you run across are welcome!
The telegram channel and group here on the unlock thread have very helpful people. They may be able to help with upgrade disables without root. It's unfortunate that XDA had this branch off with telegram but I guess that's the way it goes .

Since you may be able to live without root, that kinda opens the door for you with many phones. I understand you want the option to root in the future if you deem it necessary. I really like the S10+ so far for the features I've listed before so it's a good phone root or not. My work phone is a s10e which I think has the same hardware(CPU, GPU, RAM) and haven't had any issues without root except for some screwy service issues today, and we'll, some custom stuff I want to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's the likelihood of v5 bootloader being unlocked in the near future? Is progress regularly made on unlocking newer versions on Samsung or is this more like a one time thing with them? I bought a new v5 s10+ that I haven't used yet and am thinking about returning while I can if hopes are slim of future unlocking. Thanks.
    I believe v4 wasn't available in the beginning of that thread. If that's true, it came along later, so there's a decent enough chance I expect? But, of course, there are no guarantees.

As others said, this is a popular brand and actually one of the more popular models from what I've seen. In addition, even those who have root today can't upgrade to BL5 or BL6, so I expect they're STILL interested as well, so they aren't "done wanting" it either. I also figure if BL5 comes through, BL6 may come with it... because I don't think there's a drastic change in the security between them. Just guessing, of course... no real data to support that feeling.

So far, I don't see the need for it for myself. I get the "own your device" aspect, but I encourage people to see if you really need it... I'm seeing no reason for it (again, for ME) anymore. I've never had an issue with "bloat" (it turns off easily enough, typically stays out of the way, and doesn't take up much space). And most other features/functions can be done without root these days. Again, just my $0.02 on the matter...

EDIT: And I have no interest in custom roms anymore. Stock does well, and supports VOLTE/VOWIFI so until custom roms can do that, I have no interest in them anyway. I don't have a ton of signal at home (enough for calls, but not great) and losing data during a call is just so silly.
    Knock on wood, my debacle is over... more details can be seen here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...discussion-here.3905897/page-66#post-85583233

I'm on BL v6 on both phones now, and honestly I don't need root from what I can see so far. I may try to pm-disable some things in my phone, but honestly I don't feel the need to do that yet. The bloatware isn't intrusive, on either device, so it's not a big deal.

I have been learning more about the phone, and maybe we should keep this thread alive to discuss such things for those of us transitioning? Although, we could create a new thread on the S10 forums instead, too. A few quick things I can recommend:
    • Tasker needs to be excluded from battery optimization, and it works reasonably well (I'm running into an issue with an app-profile not working when screen is off or phone is locked)
    • "Bixbi" app (yes, that's the spelling of the app) can let you disable the button to some degree. Default activates Google Assistant when held for a few seconds.
    Everything else seems to be running fine...
    What's the likelihood of v5 bootloader being unlocked in the near future? Is progress regularly made on unlocking newer versions on Samsung or is this more like a one time thing with them? I bought a new v5 s10+ that I haven't used yet and am thinking about returning while I can if hopes are slim of future unlocking. Thanks.
    I would suggest asking elliwigy or afaneh92 on their respective threads since they're both helpful.
    But as Ideveraux said, it's a popular device so I'm sure it's coming. If you want root now, I'd start browsing to see if you can find a v4 used or a seller that will work with you on looking for BL versions.
    I'm still here, El Guapo!

Maybe I should just get with the program and buy an S10 like all of the rest of you...

...or maybe I'll just be lazy and put it off until February (when AT&T cuts off my service) so that I can get more out of my V30 and maybe even see if the S20 5G is cheap enough by then to jump to that, instead.
    As of now the S20 v1 and S20 FE 5G v2 lower are unlockable, whichever you're looking at. Maybe by February more versions will be...
    I chose the S10+ over the S20 due to the headphone jack. If that's not important to you then you should be good to go.
    As of now the S20 v1 and S20 FE 5G v2 lower are unlockable, whichever you're looking at. Maybe by February more versions will be...
    I chose the S10+ over the S20 due to the headphone jack. If that's not important to you then you should be good to go.
    Thanks. I didn't notice that the S20 doesn't have a headphone jack. It's not really a deal breaker, since USB-C to headphone adapters exist (or I could just try to get used to my bluetooth earbuds), but the jack would be nice.
    My v30's display and back glass got cracked at the corners.
    Fingerprint also stopped working.
    But I'm so appalled by the so called "flagship" phones' lack of features that I'm going to stick with V30 until it falls apart.
    My love for V30 is also playing a part in the decision I guess.
    But personally it makes no sense to spend a lot of money to get a Phone without SD card, headphone jack and root
    Sorry did you ever say where you purchased your S10+? I was going to buy from Amazon Renewed, but the seller never responded to my request for Build#.

And how was your bootloader unlock experience?
    I bought mine from Bobcat_wireless on ebay "open box". They have a no questions asked return policy from what I see and experienced. I sent a s10 back after an accidental purchase. So I figure if you get one with the wrong version, you can send it back.

BL Unlock was simple and afaneh92 was easy to work with. Give him your DID number from download mode, he'll get back to you with a token that you flash with a modded Odin. It was pretty easy. Once unlocked, there's an "all on one" file here on XDA to flash in Odin which installs TWRP, magisk and fixes safetynet.
    You don't have to switch/upgrade a phone just because it's old. If it still meets your basic requirements and functions on a high level, don't buy into the hype. Seems like your only issue with the V30 is the battery capacity over time, which is every battery ever. That's why I bought another relatively unused V30!

For the record, I just looked in Magisk and I have 15 apps with root access. There's no way I replace those all with non-root apps, no way.
    Oh don't worry, I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading... not my style. I still have my VERY old desktop computer that runs an old Athlon X2 CPU that I use for computer repair and data recovery purposes.

Battery is the issue... as you mentioned, they wear out. I could consider another V30, but I'd also like more RAM and performance/efficiency, particularly for my wife who really uses her V30 hard. She's on it constantly and the "2 day" battery never lasted that long for her, and it's down to like half a day for her.

Maybe that's the trick - I stay on the V30 and get her a new battery via new phone. Her Magisk only has TiBu, and she doesn't even use that app (I use it when I'm working on her phone). My phone adds Tasker, but I don't know that I need it to have root. Hence my direction that maybe I don't need root after all...

So, again, it looks like I may not "need" root... as much as I'd prefer the principle of having it...

Again, if people have other devices to recommend, bring it on...
    So, I took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy s10+. The phone has a great screen, CPU power, RAM and battery seems good. There is a camera cut-out but it's pretty easy to ignore being kinda built into the status bar. BL Unlock costs money but the process is very easy with Odin software. With the same Odin you can flash carrier firmware over another carrier. I bought a Verizon version but can flash AT&T if I wanted to. The model number for ALL carrier "locked" is G975U. The carrier part comes as a separate "user data" file during flash. The carrier unlocked models are 975U1. Far as I know you can flash locked and unlocked interchangeably if you didn't want carrier bloat. Overall I'm very happy with it and feel it's worth looking at. I couldn't justify spending $600+ used on a Sony when I could get the s10+ for $450 new open box, which I'm hoping is actually new it looks it. I know the cost is minimal when that high in price but to each their own. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

This had been a great LG community and I'll continue to monitor a few threads to see if I can help in anyway. Thanks for all the great help over the years.
    @ChazzMatt and really everybody, why has the V50 not been considered? Seems to check all the same boxes (external SD, 1440p, qi charging, headphone port). It's on sale today for $260 here: https://ebay.to/2Z1Wydl

Also it appears to be bl unlockable here:
    and

What am I missing??

Hmmm.... This is very new development. Late January 2021. I didn't know about it, but then I have two new children. :)

But until now, all the non-European V50 (Korean, U.S. Sprint) could only get some kind of temp root, not permanent root. (Euro V50 of course has official LG bootloader unlock.)

With this new development for people using T-Mobile (Sprint), with the Sprint V50 seems (since it was a "Sprint" branded phone) they would have VoLTE/VoWiFi) if they stay on rooted stock firmware. AT&T people would probably be out of luck. AT&T users have a year until HSPA shuts down.

Sprint V50 does have LTE band 13 so should work with Verizon SIM card. Curious about Verizon VoLTE with an already-activated Verizon SIM card.

The root guide says Android 10 is required, so you would have to buy one with that already installed since Sprint didn't release public KDZ. Sprint (now T-mobile) wouldn't allow updates unless you had their SIM card installed. This was why non-Sprint owners of LS998 had to Frankenstein to US998 even before the WTF exploit was created. Frankenstein was to 1) carrier unlock and 2) help users update to newer KDZ firmware.

I see those on eBay are already carrier-unlocked, but you would need to make sure they have Android 10 installed...