• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

" Where to go? "

Search This thread

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
As I said, with the Verizon plan I am on, the s10 is not offered, only the s10e. There are several s20's, but they are getting out of my price range.

I am aware that the Pixel 5 does not have an SD card (my son has that phone), but again, my choices are rather limited. I was kinda wanting a high mid tier to high end newer phone.
That's why you don't buy phones from the carrier! I bought a "renewed" Verizon S10 off Amazon less than a month ago for under $300. It's down to $250 now, looks brand new. Don't let your carrier dictate which phone you can use.

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
Well, I’ve started seriously looking for a phone. Even though I want to root, I’m pretty sure that’s out of the question unless something unexpected comes along such as the wtf happening which I’m not expecting. Like everyone else, I am limited on my selection of phones available to me because I am a Verizon customer. In addition, my plan limits me even further. The two most available manufacturers available to me are, you guessed it, Apple and Samsung, neither of which I particularly want (maybe a Samsung).

The ones that I have looked at on their website that interest me are (no order):

1: Pixel 5–$349.99
2: Motorola Edge + —$499.99
3: One Plus 8–$399.99
4: Motorola Razr—$549.99
5: Nokia 8v 5G uw—$349.99

I’ve also looked at the Samsung s21 ($319.99) and s21+ ($549.99).
The only LG they offer is the Velvet, which I’m not particularly interested in, either.

The Pixel and Nokia are about as high as I think I could go in price (I might could talk myself and wife into going a little higher?). Of these two, the Nokia perks my interest the most. But, there are a couple of bad reviews😒. Because of the pricing the One Plus would be my next choice. My first choice would probably be the Edge +, if not for the cost.

After reading all 7 pages, unfortunately Verizon does not offer a Sony phone.

Any suggestions or thoughts on any of these 3 phones?
So, I guess my thoughts would be which one is considered superior?

thx, for any help or insight
Nokia 8v 5G uw is good for the price. But Nokia phones most of the time don't have an unlockable bootloader. Also the Verizon variant of the nokia phone has less software support compared to other nokia phones.

I would get the Pixel 5 if you don't care about the SD card and 3.5mm headphone jack(nokia has both).

I heard TCL launched some good mid range phones, you can see if any are available.

Stay away from Motorola Razr

Reactions: gimpy1

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Thx, tech _infinity, after your post, I have read a couple of reviews on the tcl. For whatever reason I completely overlooked/ignored it on the Verizon website. It is included as a phone upgrade in my plan. I have added it to my short list. As far as Nokia having an unlockable bootlloader, that is not really too much of a concern right now (I would like to be able to root, but….) as Verizon pretty much locked it all down.

Are you in India? I am in the US, but don’t really like the really “high end” phone manufacturers normally available here, especially pricing.

Would you know the difference between this phone at $180.00 (my Verizon price) and a high end Motorola (Edge +) or an iPhone 12 or Samsung 21 that is much higher in price?

The Verizon phone has only 6 gb ram vs 8 gb shown on TCL’s site.

Thx

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
Thx, tech _infinity, after your post, I have read a couple of reviews on the tcl. For whatever reason I completely overlooked/ignored it on the Verizon website. It is included as a phone upgrade in my plan. I have added it to my short list. As far as Nokia having an unlockable bootlloader, that is not really too much of a concern right now (I would like to be able to root, but….) as Verizon pretty much locked it all down.

Are you in India? I am in the US, but don’t really like the really “high end” phone manufacturers normally available here, especially pricing.

Would you know the difference between this phone at $180.00 (my Verizon price) and a high end Motorola (Edge +) or an iPhone 12 or Samsung 21 that is much higher in price?

The Verizon phone has only 6 gb ram vs 8 gb shown on TCL’s site.

Thx
Yes. I'm in India. I didn't exactly understand your question.
TCL isn't available here.
But all the other phones you mentioned are 1.5 to 2 times more expensive here.
Pixel 5 isn't available here but the Pixel 4a costs around 400$ right now.

On a side note, My V30 display was cracked and got discolored so I ended up settling for Poco X3 pro (Poco is basically a sub brand of Xiaomi). I was also considering S20 FE but it lacked a headphone jack and was priced much higher than it should have been after a year of launch.

My requirements were Headphone jack, SD card slot, stereo speakers, a performance focussed processor and a good amoled display.
Most phones lack headphone jack, sd card or both.

I had to compromise with the display and go for IPS LCD with Poco. Unfortunately, the display on Poco is poor even by IPS standards. The phone is huge and has poor weight distribution, It weights 215 g (7.58 oz).
The biggest problem was MIUI, it is buggy, poorly optimized and gets in the way a lot while performing even the basic tasks.

On the bright side for the price of 250$ or so I have good performance (Snapdragon 860, UFS 3.1, 6GB ram), SD card, headphone jack, great battery life (5160mah), 120Hz refresh rate, stereo speakers, 33 Watt fast charging. Also, the development for Xiaomi and Poco phones is crazy good.

I will probably switch devices after a year as the display is average and MIUI is annoying but not sure which device as LG is dead and most of the phone either lack SD card or headphone jack which is stupid.
Sony left the market a few years back and tbh I can't spend 1200-1300$ doesn't on a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: gimpy1

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Thx, for your answer. I have read your name quite a bit here on xda and value your opinion quite a bit, along with ChazzMatt. The only thing that the TCL is lacking, for me, is the wireless charging. But, I think there might be one or two devices out there that can be put on/hooked to the phone quite easily that might work for wireless charging. The TCL has jumped to the top of the list right now. Up until April, my account would let me upgrade a phone every 10 months, but, it changed to every two years then. I didn't know that until about two days ago. 🙁

What I need to do is get into Verizon and look, hold a couple of the phones. The Sony experia was actually my first pick, but Verizon does not offer Sony and, I think, the price would be prohibitive.

Thx.

Reactions: tech_infinity

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Remember, if you already have a working SIM, then VZ and their dumb "rules" don't even apply. You take the already-activated SIM and pop it into the new phone, and you're done. That's what I did with my V30, because it was originally a phone not offered by VZ (mine was a US998). I just pulled the SIM from the Droid Turbo I had before, put it into the V30, and off it went.

I did the same thing with my in-laws' phones... those were H931 (ATT V30 phones) and they worked just fine too.

In the end, I switched away from VZ and went with a VZ MVNO, Total Wireless. Now I use VZ towers, but I don't pay the VZ price... and TW doesn't care what phone I bring anyway, so they activated their SIM on my phone without issue.

Bottom line, as someone else said, don't make VZ make you buy their phone... or better, yet, dump them for an MVNO and save hassle AND money at the same time.

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
^^That is something I might check into. First I need an unlockable and rootable phone with the correct bands for the Verizon network, right? Then just substitute my sim card from my v30 into it? What else would/should I look for in the phone?
This v30 I have is rooted, but the roms for it all have inherent problems that just just don't work as well as the stock (custom) room that I use.

Thx

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
You don't need a rootable phone or a bootloader unlocked one. It may need to be "carrier unlocked" but that's it... imost phones on Ebay, for example, will say that they are carrier unlocked. For example, I'm looking at the S10 as well, and ran across this one from a vendor that is well regarded by many here (yywireless): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174316316884

That's $279 for a phone that is carrier unlocked, and specifically names VZ as well (so they will likely support you if you have issues getting it to work). Get that phone, swap in your V30 SIM, and you're done.

Note, the only wrinkle is that VZ will be absolute jerks if you bring in this phone for any reason, because they'll read the IMEI and give you some BS about how it can't be used on VZ. It's a lie, and they simply don't care. For this reason, among others, I switched from them and am happy on TW... because they won't lie to you like this... and you save money.

If you want to look deeper, you can look to check that all the necessary frequencies are supported. A quick Google shows that this model is shown here: https://swappa.com/guide/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus/network and it shows that it has all the matching frequencies for VZ (the only one "missing" is band 17 for ATT, but you don't care if you're on VZ anyway).

Beyond that, there may be other tricks you can do - for example on our V30 you can load a different ROM and get other bands... that's why the H931 (ATT) version could be converted to VS996 (VZ) and work just fine. Basically, the frequency game is a bunch of BS as well, since you can change it by ROM. I believe the S10 can do this as well, but again, you don't care... just get the 975U1 and you're all set from the start.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
You don't need a rootable phone or a bootloader unlocked one. It may need to be "carrier unlocked" but that's it... imost phones on Ebay, for example, will say that they are carrier unlocked. For example, I'm looking at the S10 as well, and ran across this one from a vendor that is well regarded by many here (yywireless): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174316316884

That's $279 for a phone that is carrier unlocked, and specifically names VZ as well (so they will likely support you if you have issues getting it to work). Get that phone, swap in your V30 SIM, and you're done.

Note, the only wrinkle is that VZ will be absolute jerks if you bring in this phone for any reason, because they'll read the IMEI and give you some BS about how it can't be used on VZ. It's a lie, and they simply don't care. For this reason, among others, I switched from them and am happy on TW... because they won't lie to you like this... and you save money.

If you want to look deeper, you can look to check that all the necessary frequencies are supported. A quick Google shows that this model is shown here: https://swappa.com/guide/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus/network and it shows that it has all the matching frequencies for VZ (the only one "missing" is band 17 for ATT, but you don't care if you're on VZ anyway).

Beyond that, there may be other tricks you can do - for example on our V30 you can load a different ROM and get other bands... that's why the H931 (ATT) version could be converted to VS996 (VZ) and work just fine. Basically, the frequency game is a bunch of BS as well, since you can change it by ROM. I believe the S10 can do this as well, but again, you don't care... just get the 975U1 and you're all set from the start.

Yes, that is the one I am looking at also, Galaxy S10+. Stereo speakers, 4100 mah battery, IP68, Qi wireless charging, 128GB internal memory plus microSD card, and headset jack.

It can be rooted, but you have to pay for it. I don't know the current pricing for that.

If someone want a version with carrier firmware (while still being carrier unlocked), they buy from this one or this one.

With either of these sellers, you choose which carrier's bloatware you want. :) Those can be rooted also. See the drop down menu screenshot. When you start choosing options, especially for AT&T or Verizon, the prices go up to over $300. But it still may be what you want.

S10plus_carrier.png

Last edited:

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Thx, as you can see, I have a Charlie Brown mentality (can’t make up my mind, always changing it) 😑. What I also have to consider is my wife’s valued opinion 😕🙂 (The “boss” and final word).

Ok, a little confusion on my part. Is the s10+ bootloader unlocked (rootable, etc) in the above linked phones, or just carrier unlocked (use with different carriers). From Chazz’s post, I’m assuming that they are not bootloader unlocked (can not install your own customized roms, mods, etc.?)? Is this the extra $150.00 option that I’ve seen you post, Chazz?

Also, on one of the links I read, the 5g is a little different. If you get it, then you lose the sd card slot.

The Boss will not let me change our Verizon plan😬.

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
S20 loses the headphone jack, and my wife uses wired headphones often (although we just bought her some wireless buds (Sony, during the Prime-Day sale) and she loves them so far, so she may not need this going forward. I found I almost never use my headphone jack, and I'd be fine with keeping track of a dongle if that's what's needed for the few times I need it (usually on flights, but that's about it). ChazzMatt and others may care about this more, but I may be willing to let it go since I rarely use it. Beyond that, the S20 is much more expensive as well, which is why I wasn't chasing it down... but that could change by the end of the year, and I'm not in a rush (tech always drops in price, after all).

As far as I saw, the root-ability on the S10 was like $65... but I would like confirmation on this. This is the telegram post that I saw about this: https://t.me/s/Afaneh92UnlockChannel I got that from the S10 forum here on XDA. I know someone on this thread has done this with their new S10, so I'd like to know if this is the same thing they did? Looking back, this seems to be @danbest82 so if you can comment, that would be great!

@gimpy1 - ChazzMatt's post is showing carrier unlocked versions, not BL unlock. To BL unlock, it seems you need to pay to have this happen, as seen in my paragraph above. BLunlock lets you apply different ROMs. Note the biggest thing I see here that gets confusing is that foreign-market devices are almost always unlocked... only USA phones get locked down (for no good reason). So, many of the posts may be specific to those devices... or, worse yet, Exynos CPU phones which are easier to unlock as well. Snapdragon makes this harder, and unfortunately they are not consistent on those forums when they say "how to unlock" so be careful.

I also saw that Magisk can root the phone directly, without needing BLunlock (see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-root-for-the-galaxy-s10-series.3918699/ ) but I haven't dived deep enough to prove it to myself either. Also note, topjohnwu, the famed Magisk dev, is now working for Google (https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/05/17/google-hires-an-android-community-rooting-guru/) so who knows if we'll be able to do this much longer anyway?

Personally, I don't need BLunlock. After all, I'm still running VS996 on my V30 and I'm fine with that. I see no need to even go to Pie. I certainly would LIKE more security patches, but it's not a deal-breaker... I know of no one who has actually had their phone compromised remotely (aside from via malware, which you can get on any phone anyway, particularly if you frequently sideload, which I don't need to do much anyway), so it doesn't really concern me. Of course, in Sammy-land, you'll also get more updates (I think they have 11 already even for the S10? Either way, they're supporting for more years than anyone else...) so that's good enough for me. I like the idea of custom ROMs but there are always too many restrictions and limitations, so I don't bother anymore (eg, I use Wifi/VOLTE all the time, hence why I'm on VS996 to this day - no custom ROM can do this on VZ, towers, apparently).

As for root, I certainly like what that gets me. If I can get it with a simple Magisk install, then sure I'd do it. But I don't seem to NEED it really. I can backup everything I need without it, and I don't care about "bloatware" as it's easily disabled anyway even with stock ROM.

Again, that's my preference... it may not be yours. I have just found that I don't need that deep a control anymore. Android has matured enough to let users control those things well enough, so it's not that big of a deal anymore. On the other hand, I do want the freedom to change carriers... just in case. So I'll aim to get a device that allows that (ie, one that is carrier unlocked)...

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Like you, I don't need root, but would like it "just because". I don't, in the near or far future, see myself leaving Verizon, but you never know. I did, just now, go into Walmart and saw they had the TCL. I couldn’t handle it because they had it tied down securely, but I did turn it on and look into its settings, etc. It looked really nice and was pretty responsive to my touches. It will be hard for me to say no to this device for $180.

But, I’m still being kinda Charlie Brownish on it. 🙂

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Any reason nobody's looking at the S20? Seems to be slightly better than the S10, is it missing something crucial?

Yes, as @schwinn8 noted, the S20 loses headphone jack vs S10/S10+, and I don't need 5G when LTE is still plenty fast. I already watch videos, I read news articles on my V30 with LTE. Phone calls and texting do not work any "faster" on 5G. However, 5G will drain your battery faster. :cautious: I'm not against 5G, but headphone jack is more important to me and lesser price. S10+ has bigger battery (4,100-mAh battery compared to the Galaxy S10 3,400-mAh), so for me it's better than the S10.

=========

The difference between the "factory unlocked" S10+ SM-G975U1 (analogous to the US998 Open Market V30) and the "carrier unlocked" S10+ SM-G975U (analogous to an AT&T H931 which has been given an unlock code) is the "U1" version does not and never had carrier firmware. For the "U" version, each U.S. carrier had their own firmware.

Now, if a "U" version is dealer/seller "carrier unlocked" it CAN be used on other carriers (much like a "carrier unlocked" V30 AT&T H931), but still certain frequencies may be missing -- depending on which carrier firmware is installed. To my understanding, on the S10+ "U" versions you CAN swap carrier firmware via Odin to turn an AT&T version into a Verizon version (like Frankenstein), and if it's already dealer unlocked, everything is gravy. However, if you REALLY want to make sure, just buy the carrier unlocked version in the first place with the carrier firmware you need. If you need Verizon, buy the dealer/seller carrier unlocked Verizon version.

S10plus_carrier.png

To my understanding, these Snapdragon U.S. carrier firmware "U" versions can also be bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk just like the Snapdragon U.S. factory unlocked "UI" version.

Now, normally, I would be pushing the "UI" version which contains no carrier bloatware whatsoever. After all I own three B&H Photo US998 V30/V30+! So, why am I not doing that? Because in my case, I am an AT&T customer and AT&T has a document showing what services AT&T will different carrier unlocked phones, once HSPA is cut off in February 2021, specifically for "unlocked devices".

Below are the relevant Samsung Galaxy S10+ sections. "UI" factory unlocked version vs the AT&T carrier firmware S10+ "U" (but which has been carrier unlocked).

S10plus_carrier COMPARISON.png

Hmmm....

This is only AT&T, this is not what Verizon will do, not what T-Mobile will do. Everyone's situation is different. But for me, it looks like the AT&T carrier firmware "U" version would be better, because not only does it have VoLTE (which AT&T calls "HD Voice") but also VoWifi (Wi-Fi calling). And if both the "U" and "UI" versions can be bootloader unlocked/rooted, then I'll get the one which gives me more capabilities. With root, I can always remove any carrier bloatware I don't want.

I'm sticking with AT&T for now because...

1) there's AT&T fiber running down my street and I may dump Comcast internet/TV and go with them, and bundling my phone would be cheaper package price.

2) Also, due to geography where my house is located, I have AT&T microcell at my house and if I switched from AT&T I'm not guaranteed Verizon or T-Mobile signal (or any MVNO) will be stronger. I'm not going to switch carriers just to find out suddenly I can't get a signal. My wife is on AT&T Prepaid (ridiculously cheap plan) and I'm on AT&T Postpaid (to qualify for the AT&T microcell). Starting the change process to another carrier for both of us would take time and effort, with no guaranteed results better than what we have right now.

Like you, I don't need root, but would like it "just because".

I have a few apps which require root and I enjoy having full control over my phone. If I get this S10+, then I would want to bootloader unlock and root it prior to setting it all up and making it my daily phone.

I do see this caveat on the bootloader unlock page schwinn8 helpfully found:
Don't upgrade bootloader version until further notice or you will end up on locked bootloader.
Example: Update N970USQS5EUA1 to N970USQU6FUB7

2019 & 2020 devices don't update to OneUI 3.1 You have option to use custom firmware with OneUI 3.0 bootloader.

Buying used from a dealer, I don't know how you would have any control over that. And I'm not going to buy a 2019 S10+ "new" in box (extremely expensive), which may not indeed be actually new but just refurbished with mix and match parts (lots of V30 wholesale dealers pull that trick). I would buy in great used condition from one of the dealers listed above.

Attachments

• S10plus_carrier COMPARISON.png
    S10plus_carrier COMPARISON.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

danbest82

As far as I saw, the root-ability on the S10 was like $65... but I would like confirmation on this. This is the telegram post that I saw about this: https://t.me/s/Afaneh92UnlockChannel I got that from the S10 forum here on XDA. I know someone on this thread has done this with their new S10, so I'd like to know if this is the same thing they did? Looking back, this seems to be @danbest82 so if you can comment, that would be great!
I paid $65 for my BL Unlock and it was ready to go in a couple hours. You just need a PC with the modded Odin software. You need v4 or lower Bootloader to unlock though. Far as I know there is not one for v5 yet. There is another dev who made an AIO flashable file that installs Magisk and a mod to pass safety net.

I'm very happy with my s10+ so far. It's fast, the RAM seems just right to keep a good amount of apps running without killing off needed processes, and the battery life is pretty good for the screen size. I'm also on android 11 so it's available. I bought a Verizon G975U so it does my voLTE and wifi calling, though vowifi was messing up for me so I turned it off. That could have been some issue on my end. I didn't get much Carrier bloat and the stuff I did I just uninstalled. There also doesn't seem to be much for ROM selection but as @ChazzMatt has gone over in other posts, you will lose carrier functions with LOS ROMs.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_173646_279.jpg
    IMG_20210527_173646_279.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

danbest82

I bought mine new open box (not NIB like I posted, sorry) from Ebay, which might be the seller @ChazzMatt screenshot. It does have a black spot near the camera which I think are dead pixels but I don't see them with the black nav bar and if you get one you don't like the seller does free returns. I returned a s10 that I accidentally bought with no issues. I thought about sending the s10+ back but didn't want to get stuck with a v5 BL.

Last edited:

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
OK so a Samsung summary:

- I didn't realize the S20 doesn't have a headphone jack. Screw that, no thanks!
- The cost to BL unlock a S10/+ from the dude here on XDA is ~$65, which is more than reasonable IMO
- Seems like the EBAY seller @ChazzMatt referenced sells both S10 and S10+ with V4 build making them BL unlockable
- FWIW I found a used and cheapish S10+ on Amazon (I like the buyer protection they provide) and asked the dude if it was BL unlockable. He didn't know so I sent a note to the seller regarding Build#. Still waiting to hear back.

Anything incorrect here, apart from possibly my opinion on the S20 ;) ?

danbest82

OK so a Samsung summary:

- I didn't realize the S20 doesn't have a headphone jack. Screw that, no thanks!
- The cost to BL unlock a S10/+ from the dude here on XDA is ~$65, which is more than reasonable IMO
- Seems like the EBAY seller @ChazzMatt referenced sells both S10 and S10+ with V4 build making them BL unlockable
- FWIW I found a used and cheapish S10+ on Amazon (I like the buyer protection they provide) and asked the dude if it was BL unlockable. He didn't know so I sent a note to the seller regarding Build#. Still waiting to hear back.

Anything incorrect here, apart from possibly my opinion on the S20 ;) ?
Seems correct to me.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry did you ever say where you purchased your S10+? I was going to buy from Amazon Renewed, but the seller never responded to my request for Build#.

And how was your bootloader unlock experience?
    I bought mine from Bobcat_wireless on ebay "open box". They have a no questions asked return policy from what I see and experienced. I sent a s10 back after an accidental purchase. So I figure if you get one with the wrong version, you can send it back.

BL Unlock was simple and afaneh92 was easy to work with. Give him your DID number from download mode, he'll get back to you with a token that you flash with a modded Odin. It was pretty easy. Once unlocked, there's an "all on one" file here on XDA to flash in Odin which installs TWRP, magisk and fixes safetynet.
    Well. I said I'd update after I got my s10+. Verizon sm-957u. Bought off swappa for 285, listed as good and seller posted pic of build v3. It arrived in good shape. I got it, updated it to latest version that can be unlocked, v4...Feb 2021, using Odin. Got ahold of the dude, from here, sent me to telegram, paid my 65 and off we went..now, I did use adb to disable OTA files he sent me in telegram, because in download mode, your WiFi needs to be on, Put phone into download mode, gave him DID #, token file link came not long after. Flashed in modded version of Odin, link provided by him, worked.. I only had a hiccup on my fault flashing the AIO file for Magisk, TWRP and AVB. Anyways... He answered all my stupid questions.. Walked me through it, always asking what was happening and me taking pics with my v30 and texting it through Telegram. Today...s10+ Phone is alive and I'm currently just debloating it, my v30 is still great, so need to switch all of sudden. But... Thanks to you guys on here for the s10 suggestion. Never, NEVER would I thought about a Samsung..... LOL
    I never thought I'd go Samsung either but here I am. It'd def be good to have all of you over on the Samsung s10+ side of things. You've helped me so much over the years with my V30. Everyone seems to actually do some research and help each other out. It's great.
    As noted with Samsung, the Exynos varient has more mods and stuff but the Snapdragon at least has BL Unlock and root. Most of us were using the stock ROM on V30 anyway to work with our carriers.
    I just bought a Verizon s10+ from Swappa, picture showed it as having a version 3 bootloader which says can be unlocked.. Had to ask the seller to post... Others I asked, some posted, some didnt... It's a game watching for private sellers.... When it arrives I will post more here.
    Btw in case anyone is thinking of going with LG, do take the promise of updates with a pinch of salt. LG didn't keep its promises while it was still active.
    Most likely LG will update only the Korean variants properly and ignore other regions. (they did that in the past with LG G4 and some other devices)
    So consider that when deciding whether to buy a LG phone next.
    My v30's display and back glass got cracked at the corners.
    Fingerprint also stopped working.
    But I'm so appalled by the so called "flagship" phones' lack of features that I'm going to stick with V30 until it falls apart.
    My love for V30 is also playing a part in the decision I guess.
    But personally it makes no sense to spend a lot of money to get a Phone without SD card, headphone jack and root
    Sorry did you ever say where you purchased your S10+? I was going to buy from Amazon Renewed, but the seller never responded to my request for Build#.

And how was your bootloader unlock experience?
    I bought mine from Bobcat_wireless on ebay "open box". They have a no questions asked return policy from what I see and experienced. I sent a s10 back after an accidental purchase. So I figure if you get one with the wrong version, you can send it back.

BL Unlock was simple and afaneh92 was easy to work with. Give him your DID number from download mode, he'll get back to you with a token that you flash with a modded Odin. It was pretty easy. Once unlocked, there's an "all on one" file here on XDA to flash in Odin which installs TWRP, magisk and fixes safetynet.
    You don't have to switch/upgrade a phone just because it's old. If it still meets your basic requirements and functions on a high level, don't buy into the hype. Seems like your only issue with the V30 is the battery capacity over time, which is every battery ever. That's why I bought another relatively unused V30!

For the record, I just looked in Magisk and I have 15 apps with root access. There's no way I replace those all with non-root apps, no way.
    Oh don't worry, I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading... not my style. I still have my VERY old desktop computer that runs an old Athlon X2 CPU that I use for computer repair and data recovery purposes.

Battery is the issue... as you mentioned, they wear out. I could consider another V30, but I'd also like more RAM and performance/efficiency, particularly for my wife who really uses her V30 hard. She's on it constantly and the "2 day" battery never lasted that long for her, and it's down to like half a day for her.

Maybe that's the trick - I stay on the V30 and get her a new battery via new phone. Her Magisk only has TiBu, and she doesn't even use that app (I use it when I'm working on her phone). My phone adds Tasker, but I don't know that I need it to have root. Hence my direction that maybe I don't need root after all...

So, again, it looks like I may not "need" root... as much as I'd prefer the principle of having it...

Again, if people have other devices to recommend, bring it on...
    So, I took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy s10+. The phone has a great screen, CPU power, RAM and battery seems good. There is a camera cut-out but it's pretty easy to ignore being kinda built into the status bar. BL Unlock costs money but the process is very easy with Odin software. With the same Odin you can flash carrier firmware over another carrier. I bought a Verizon version but can flash AT&T if I wanted to. The model number for ALL carrier "locked" is G975U. The carrier part comes as a separate "user data" file during flash. The carrier unlocked models are 975U1. Far as I know you can flash locked and unlocked interchangeably if you didn't want carrier bloat. Overall I'm very happy with it and feel it's worth looking at. I couldn't justify spending $600+ used on a Sony when I could get the s10+ for $450 new open box, which I'm hoping is actually new it looks it. I know the cost is minimal when that high in price but to each their own. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

This had been a great LG community and I'll continue to monitor a few threads to see if I can help in anyway. Thanks for all the great help over the years.
    @ChazzMatt and really everybody, why has the V50 not been considered? Seems to check all the same boxes (external SD, 1440p, qi charging, headphone port). It's on sale today for $260 here: https://ebay.to/2Z1Wydl

Also it appears to be bl unlockable here:
    and

What am I missing??

Hmmm.... This is very new development. Late January 2021. I didn't know about it, but then I have two new children. :)

But until now, all the non-European V50 (Korean, U.S. Sprint) could only get some kind of temp root, not permanent root. (Euro V50 of course has official LG bootloader unlock.)

With this new development for people using T-Mobile (Sprint), with the Sprint V50 seems (since it was a "Sprint" branded phone) they would have VoLTE/VoWiFi) if they stay on rooted stock firmware. AT&T people would probably be out of luck. AT&T users have a year until HSPA shuts down.

Sprint V50 does have LTE band 13 so should work with Verizon SIM card. Curious about Verizon VoLTE with an already-activated Verizon SIM card.

The root guide says Android 10 is required, so you would have to buy one with that already installed since Sprint didn't release public KDZ. Sprint (now T-mobile) wouldn't allow updates unless you had their SIM card installed. This was why non-Sprint owners of LS998 had to Frankenstein to US998 even before the WTF exploit was created. Frankenstein was to 1) carrier unlock and 2) help users update to newer KDZ firmware.

I see those on eBay are already carrier-unlocked, but you would need to make sure they have Android 10 installed...