" Where to go? "

Search This thread

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Forgot to mention, speaking of malware. I have a VS996 on TotalWireless. Yet, the other day, I saw that something background-installed an app on my phone. I checked the info on the app, and it said it was installed by "Verizon App Manager". Seriously, WTF?! I'm not on VZ and never asked for their garbage installation choices. Fortunately, due to a rooted phone, I could easily freeze the app in TiBu.

So, as far a malware and security goes, I have more to complain about the carriers than any third party or hacker.

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
I despise Apple, too, maybe for different reasons. Their 30% cut for access to the istore is usary. They make nothing themselves and are societal leaches. It was a pleasure to learn how Nissan and Hyundai rebuffed Apple's proposal to become the FoxConn of cars. Itunes to access pics and media is beyond terrible. The only good thing has been willingness to provide users a way to opt out of the human futures market. It's been nice seeing Zuck squirm.

Leaks make the upcoming Sony Xperia 1 III look pretty good. Bootloader unlock likely supported, too.

Sick burn!
But seriously, eff Apple, stick to the V30.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
I despise Apple, too, maybe for different reasons. Their 30% cut for access to the istore is usary. They make nothing themselves and are societal leaches. It was a pleasure to learn how Nissan and Hyundai rebuffed Apple's proposal to become the FoxConn of cars. Itunes to access pics and media is beyond terrible. The only good thing has been willingness to provide users a way to opt out of the human futures market. It's been nice seeing Zuck squirm.

Leaks make the upcoming Sony Xperia 1 III look pretty good. Bootloader unlock likely supported, too.
You're literally repeating yourself, down to the dig on Mark Zuckerburg. But sure, point taken.

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
No thoughts about the Sony? It's a serious upgrade to V30. I know bashing apple is fun. but where to go after the V30 is the point of this thread after all. No notch, 3.5 mm jack, sd card slot, great screen, decent battery. It even comes with a cheesy name. Seems a better choice than an abandoned V50.

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
No thoughts about the Sony? It's a serious upgrade to V30. I know bashing apple is fun. but where to go after the V30 is the point of this thread after all. No notch, 3.5 mm jack, sd card slot, great screen, decent battery. It even comes with a cheesy name. Seems a better choice than an abandoned V50.
sony xperia 1 ii or sony xperia 5 ii would be a great upgrade.
But the availability is an issue.
Its not available in all regions. Importing is an option but that would have compatibility issues with regards to Volte, Vowifi and 5G.
Importing would also significantly increase the price.
But if it is available in your region or you can import it at a reasonable price, then go for it.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Did you even read the past few pages about the V50? It's not abandoned, root/unlock was just achieved a month ago. You're so set on the Sony that you're not even reading any other info, especially that even a used Xperia 1 II is twice the price of the V50, and you can't easily obtain the Xperia 5 II in the US. So go ahead and buy your overpriced phone, nobody's stopping you. Just stop distorting the facts to fit your narrative.

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
It is great that unlock was finally achieved on the V50. That is approximately 18 months after release. I hope the developer scene, if it is active sustains.

The complaints I lodged against LG apply to the V50. A year an a half is an eternity for LG. It is unlikely that the V50 will see A11 and if it does then Korean models only. Any AOSP roms will be missing VoLTE capability unless a miracle happens and IMS is cracked. In that regard, LG has abandoned the phone. I don't want to relive that aspect of the V30 again. Furthermore, the V50 isn't much of a step up from a V30S. Same ram, same memory, and a now outdated cpu.

The Xperia 1 III, if it is like the other models, will be bootloader unlock and root capable without need for exploits. Devs can work on mods and roms, and roms will work without hurculean efforts to trudge through LG obsucations.

Yes, the Sony is more expensive but it is a more capable phone and one that is better supported. Price is an issue. I'd rather save my pennies and give my money to a company that treats its flagship as such and returns loyalty to its customers. That will let me use the phone for 3 to 5 years after which I will have saved money for a new model with significant improvements.

In terms of availability. No problems getting them on bhphoto or lightly used from swappa.

By all those criteria, the Sony is a better phone and a better "place" to go than a V50 or any LG model.

Did you even read the past few pages about the V50? It's not abandoned, root/unlock was just achieved a month ago. You're so set on the Sony that you're not even reading any other info, especially that even a used Xperia 1 II is twice the price of the V50, and you can't easily obtain the Xperia 5 II in the US. So go ahead and buy your overpriced phone, nobody's stopping you. Just stop distorting the facts to fit your narrative.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
It is great that unlock was finally achieved on the V50. That is approximately 18 months after release. I hope the developer scene, if it is active sustains.

The complaints I lodged against LG apply to the V50. A year an a half is an eternity for LG. It is unlikely that the V50 will see A11 and if it does then Korean models only. Any AOSP roms will be missing VoLTE capability unless a miracle happens and IMS is cracked. In that regard, LG has abandoned the phone. I don't want to relive that aspect of the V30 again. Furthermore, the V50 isn't much of a step up from a V30S. Same ram, same memory, and a now outdated cpu.

The Xperia 1 III, if it is like the other models, will be bootloader unlock and root capable without need for exploits. Devs can work on mods and roms, and roms will work without hurculean efforts to trudge through LG obsucations.

Yes, the Sony is more expensive but it is a more capable phone and one that is better supported. Price is an issue. I'd rather save my pennies and give my money to a company that treats its flagship as such and returns loyalty to its customers. That will let me use the phone for 3 to 5 years after which I will have saved money for a new model with significant improvements.

In terms of availability. No problems getting them on bhphoto or lightly used from swappa.

By all those criteria, the Sony is a better phone and a better "place" to go than a V50 or any LG model.
Look, you're clearly not understanding anything here.

We've already mentioned how your nebulous term "updates" don't matter when you root yet you continue to claim LG doesn't update often enough.

You're the only one with the V30S, yet you keep comparing it. The OP was and still is replacing the V30+, not the V30S. If you can't see an upgrade here, get your eyes checked:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=9607&idPhone1=8712

Now you're talking about the Xperia 1 III which isn't released, has no tentative date, and will likely cost well over $1000.

Not sure which device (you keep mentioning different devices) you say there is "no problem getting them", but the Xperia 1 II is $1200 on B&H and there is a single device available on Swappa for a measly $787.

A phone that costs 4x as much as the phone we're replacing is not a viable replacement. To claim it is is completely disingenuous. To also claim the V50, which is maybe 1.5x the cost, is not the right move is also flat out poor advice for most people. Again, we understand you're obviously determined to get one of those grossly overpriced Sonys, but that's you. You were also the one considering an iPhone so we have to take your advice for what it is at this point...

Last edited:
Reactions: danbest82

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
I think we just have different priorities and criteria about where to go.

You advocate for the V50. I've openly presented facts about LG and their phones.

I've highlighted an upcoming alternative about "Where to go", admitted it will be more expensive and shown where it can be purchased.

You seem focused on price. Sure cheaper is better. That said, I think it would be foolish to spend 250 or so USD on an outdated phone that likely won't see A11 and won't get full radio suppport on LOS roms.

I understand perfectly, options matter. Who's to say I'm the only one with a V30S? Who's to say I am the only one who'll buy a Sony? Who's to say I'm the only one that cares about stock rom updates? Everyone should have a chance to see them and make their own criteria for a decision. That is the spirit of these forums. Just becuase you don't agree with someone else's point does not mean that they do not understand English or your point of view. They just have a different view. As the English saying goes - "Suck it up buttercup".

I don't know if English isn't your first language, but you're clearly not understanding anything here.

We've already mentioned how your nebulous term "updates" don't matter yet you continue to claim LG doesn't update often enough.

You're the only one with the V30S, yet you keep comparing it. The OP was and still is replacing the V30+, not the V30S. If you can't see an upgrade here, get your eyes checked:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=9607&idPhone1=8712

Now you're talking about the Xperia 1 III which isn't released, has no tentative date, and will likely cost well over $1000.

Not sure which device (you keep mentioning different devices) you say there is "no problem getting them", but the Xperia 1 II is $1200 on B&H and there is a single device available on Swappa for a measly $787.

A phone that costs 4x as much as the phone we're replacing is not a viable replacement. To claim it is is completely disingenuous. To also claim the V50, which is maybe 1.5x the cost, is not the right move is also flat out poor advice for most people. Again, we understand you're obviously determined to get one of those grossly overpriced Sonys, but that's you. You were also the one considering an iPhone so we have to take your advice for what it is at this point...

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
I think we just have different priorities and criteria about where to go.

You advocate for the V50. I've openly presented facts about LG and their phones.

I've highlighted an upcoming alternative about "Where to go", admitted it will be more expensive and shown where it can be purchased.

You seem focused on price. Sure cheaper is better. That said, I think it would be foolish to spend 250 or so USD on an outdated phone that likely won't see A11 and won't get full radio suppport on LOS roms.

I understand perfectly, options matter. Who's to say I'm the only one with a V30S? Who's to say I am the only one who'll buy a Sony? Who's to say I'm the only one that cares about stock rom updates? Everyone should have a chance to see them and make their own criteria for a decision. That is the spirit of these forums. Just becuase you don't agree with someone else's point does not mean that they do not understand English or your point of view. They just have a different view. As the English saying goes - "Suck it up buttercup".
OK have fun paying $800 so you can get a few more updates!

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
@cmrntnnr Maybe this would interest you towards the S10: https://www.engadget.com/samsung-four-years-security-updates-152303907.html

Again, I don't think these updates are that critical - yes I'd love to see security updates for longer, but how many actual attacks have happened due to an exposed security issue? Sure, if someone has your phone then they can more-easily access the data... but I haven't heard of any where the phone was compromised over the internet (other than malware attacks, which happen regardless of security updates).

Still, it's always good to see that they are pushing them out longer...

Reactions: ChazzMatt

anubus45

Sep 5, 2010
UT
this states that the upcoming Asus ROG 5 will have a 3.5mm headphone jack with ESS DAC

I saw this as well, and I'm curious what people think of this as a potential upgrade path.

Obviously we don't know full details yet, but if they have a 3.5mm headphone jack and no notch or hole in the display, it will be a strong start. I know that the dual front facing speakers would also be a nice to have -- that was one of the things I gave up when I moved to the V30.
I'm less sure what the development community around the Asus phones tends to be like though, as BL unlock and root at a minimum are other hard lines in the sand for me.

Can't say I love the ROG aesthetic on a phone, but if it has all of the above, and maybe some nice to haves (LOS support, expandable storage, and camera quality at least on-par with the V30), I may strongly consider finally upgrading.

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
I saw this as well, and I'm curious what people think of this as a potential upgrade path.

Obviously we don't know full details yet, but if they have a 3.5mm headphone jack and no notch or hole in the display, it will be a strong start. I know that the dual front facing speakers would also be a nice to have -- that was one of the things I gave up when I moved to the V30.
I'm less sure what the development community around the Asus phones tends to be like though, as BL unlock and root at a minimum are other hard lines in the sand for me.

Can't say I love the ROG aesthetic on a phone, but if it has all of the above, and maybe some nice to haves (LOS support, expandable storage, and camera quality at least on-par with the V30), I may strongly consider finally upgrading.
Asus sent ROG3 to a few devs to support development.
Development is decent Okay-ish on Asus phones afaik

Many Apps are starting to refuse to work on unlocked bootloader even with Magisk, so I probably won't be rooting the next phone I buy, so development isn't a priority for me.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
this states that the upcoming Asus ROG 5 will have a 3.5mm headphone jack with ESS DAC

Here in the U.S. we also have to be concerned with VoLTE requirements for non-carrier variants when HSPA disappears. AT&T in February 2022, so I have a year. If I change phones by then, I need to keep that in mind. I'm not sure the Asus ROG would be eligible for AT&T VoLTE.

My V30+ says VoLTE is enabled in the Hidden Menu, but I still drop down to HSPA when phone calls are made. So, maybe something AT&T needs to do on their end. Again, I have a year, so I can find time to go to the store later.

If I got the Samsung Galaxy S10+, it would be the AT&T variant, but network unlocked by dealer.

That one above is new in box (allegedly), but there's also refurbs available.

"New" gets you more choice of storage and colors.

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
Here in the U.S. we also have to be concerned with VoLTE requirements for non-carrier variants when HSPA disappears. AT&T in February 2022, so I have a year. If I change phones by then, I need to keep that in mind. I'm not sure the Asus ROG would be eligible for AT&T VoLTE.

My V30+ says VoLTE is enabled in the Hidden Menu, but I still drop down to HSPA when phone calls are made. So, maybe something AT&T needs to do on their end. Again, I have a year, so I can find time to go to the store later.

If I got the Samsung Galaxy S10+, it would be the AT&T variant, but network unlocked by dealer.

That one above is new in box (allegedly), but there's also refurbs available.

"New" gets you more choice of storage and colors.
S10+ is a good phone, but I feel the cut out looks uglier compared to S10 (because it is bigger on plus variant for dual cameras)

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Lenster45

Oct 2, 2010
Naples
Finally bit the bullet and gat a V50. I looked at the S20 but no SDCard. I looked at the V60 but too big.
My V30 had lines on the screen and bad battery life. So living without root seems a good tradeoff.

Reactions: tech_infinity

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
The LG V70 could be on indefinite hold

Code named "Rainbow". The article has a poll whether you would be interested in the LG V70 if ever released. Yet they give almost no specs.

Did LG come back to their senses and offer 1440p single screen, instead of the 1080p dual screen (even winged screen) nonsense? Does it still have headset jack with quad DAC?

Has a stylus? I'm not interested in a stylus.

At least it would have top tier Snapdragon 888 chipset instead of mid-tier Snapdragon 7xx.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry did you ever say where you purchased your S10+? I was going to buy from Amazon Renewed, but the seller never responded to my request for Build#.

And how was your bootloader unlock experience?
    I bought mine from Bobcat_wireless on ebay "open box". They have a no questions asked return policy from what I see and experienced. I sent a s10 back after an accidental purchase. So I figure if you get one with the wrong version, you can send it back.

BL Unlock was simple and afaneh92 was easy to work with. Give him your DID number from download mode, he'll get back to you with a token that you flash with a modded Odin. It was pretty easy. Once unlocked, there's an "all on one" file here on XDA to flash in Odin which installs TWRP, magisk and fixes safetynet.
    My v30's display and back glass got cracked at the corners.
    Fingerprint also stopped working.
    But I'm so appalled by the so called "flagship" phones' lack of features that I'm going to stick with V30 until it falls apart.
    My love for V30 is also playing a part in the decision I guess.
    But personally it makes no sense to spend a lot of money to get a Phone without SD card, headphone jack and root
    @ChazzMatt and really everybody, why has the V50 not been considered? Seems to check all the same boxes (external SD, 1440p, qi charging, headphone port). It's on sale today for $260 here: https://ebay.to/2Z1Wydl

Also it appears to be bl unlockable here:
    and

What am I missing??

Hmmm.... This is very new development. Late January 2021. I didn't know about it, but then I have two new children. :)

But until now, all the non-European V50 (Korean, U.S. Sprint) could only get some kind of temp root, not permanent root. (Euro V50 of course has official LG bootloader unlock.)

With this new development for people using T-Mobile (Sprint), with the Sprint V50 seems (since it was a "Sprint" branded phone) they would have VoLTE/VoWiFi) if they stay on rooted stock firmware. AT&T people would probably be out of luck. AT&T users have a year until HSPA shuts down.

Sprint V50 does have LTE band 13 so should work with Verizon SIM card. Curious about Verizon VoLTE with an already-activated Verizon SIM card.

The root guide says Android 10 is required, so you would have to buy one with that already installed since Sprint didn't release public KDZ. Sprint (now T-mobile) wouldn't allow updates unless you had their SIM card installed. This was why non-Sprint owners of LS998 had to Frankenstein to US998 even before the WTF exploit was created. Frankenstein was to 1) carrier unlock and 2) help users update to newer KDZ firmware.

I see those on eBay are already carrier-unlocked, but you would need to make sure they have Android 10 installed...

You don't have to switch/upgrade a phone just because it's old. If it still meets your basic requirements and functions on a high level, don't buy into the hype. Seems like your only issue with the V30 is the battery capacity over time, which is every battery ever. That's why I bought another relatively unused V30!

For the record, I just looked in Magisk and I have 15 apps with root access. There's no way I replace those all with non-root apps, no way.
    Oh don't worry, I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading... not my style. I still have my VERY old desktop computer that runs an old Athlon X2 CPU that I use for computer repair and data recovery purposes.

Battery is the issue... as you mentioned, they wear out. I could consider another V30, but I'd also like more RAM and performance/efficiency, particularly for my wife who really uses her V30 hard. She's on it constantly and the "2 day" battery never lasted that long for her, and it's down to like half a day for her.

Maybe that's the trick - I stay on the V30 and get her a new battery via new phone. Her Magisk only has TiBu, and she doesn't even use that app (I use it when I'm working on her phone). My phone adds Tasker, but I don't know that I need it to have root. Hence my direction that maybe I don't need root after all...

So, again, it looks like I may not "need" root... as much as I'd prefer the principle of having it...

Again, if people have other devices to recommend, bring it on...
    My v30's display and back glass got cracked at the corners.
    Fingerprint also stopped working.
    But I'm so appalled by the so called "flagship" phones' lack of features that I'm going to stick with V30 until it falls apart.
    My love for V30 is also playing a part in the decision I guess.
    But personally it makes no sense to spend a lot of money to get a Phone without SD card, headphone jack and root

Well, unfortunately i broke mine too. It was a stupid accident. The glass panel is cracked at the very rounded edge of the assembly, a deep crack million pieces held by screen guard. The display took a hit at the lowest it shows white lines (not a big deal). The screen protector is a that water based one which is holding it well. The display doesn't flex still thankfully, however the crack is bad. Over the time it will definitely have some impact... Until then I'm not going to move to any other phone.

Once it dies off, going to pay for the display repair and other servicing at LG repair and get a new battery and make this into a full rooted Oreo DAP without any SIM usage it will run for 10 years for sure If I just keep it topped off at Charging and then maybe even request LG to ship me a battery if possible. There are so many DAP reviews at Head Fi and YT. They have garbage OS / Stupid form factors / extremely underpowered chipsets / no root no mods nothing fun and more.. LG phones are to be honest Class A DAPs which have no rivals in the industry.

So just to discuss the landscape...for many of us folks.

- root with BL unlock
    - no hole no notch, no display mutilation.
    - 3.5mm jack (not much important now because this phone will be used as a DAP and I have an old iPod with modded Firmware and SD flash modded, uses a solid Wolfson DAC)
    - SD card slot (more important than 3.5mm jack for me since this phone is going to be a DAP, Sd slot is must because I cannot rely on a storage which locks behind a display what if the display is cracked and I cannot access anything personal ?)

And I cannot find a phone ... how low Android has fallen in both Software and Hardware, it's just sad.

- Samsung phones had them but no more, and US versions no BL unlock, Exynos is a mess (S10 is good, but the Samsung policy of repair is bad and LTE in US is broken due that that regional differences)
    - Sony phones have them still and new Xperia 1 Mark III is about to be announced with 3.5mm jack and SD slot and that useless 4K OLED at $1200+ and bonus DRM keys wiped for Bravia engine, and Sound processing for unlocking BL. Even If I take hit, the price is too much, which killed the XDA scene due to obscene pricing. They could have sold them at low prices with BF and Chrismas / New Year deals but they are not doing it. Utter damn shame.
    - LG, since we all know about this company's fate now (so many reorgs, no BL unlocks, bad software - I love v30 UX esp Oreo one. Because it just works no BS but after V30 they changed whole camera UI and copied Samsung ugly pill design One UI garbage and what not... now they are closing shop ??)
    - ASUS ditched with Zenfone 7 for 3.5mm jack and that motorized camera is improved with this which is superb for no notch/hole but I don't want it tbh and loss of IP rating on top their ZF7 didn't even launch in US plus it lacks US bands I guess.
    - OnePlus, overpriced and heavily markted garbage with no basic features but has solid custom ROM community, which is a great niche bonus which all phones lack now.
    - Motorola phones ? I remember during Moto X days while Nexus 6 was in prime and before selling to Lenovo by Google, not sure if they have any good phones now..

(ignored display resolution downgrades because HW is more important sadly now.)

I was checking the Pixel 4a forums, there is no guide for basics on A/B slotting BS I remember that from a long time how bad it is, people are asking if the TWRP even works with no dev response. Horrible state of Pixel phones, what the actual fk really and on top Telegram channels and other BS instead of discussing here on forums FFS. Nexus phones were supreme in this aspect, I owned Galaxy Nexus, it was a breeze to flash and unlock. I really miss those days.

Does it even make sense for updates guys ? What is that you crave for in the new Android 9 and up ? I saw WiFiman won't work on Pie, that's just one.., Just look at Android 10+ the atrocious recents is really useless, they put horizontal cards that to not even stacked, so basically you won't know which apps are running and how to fast switch since it's gestures. The buttons are optional thankfully which is ofc superior.

Security updates, yes they are very important but honestly I have been running rooted Android and Windows machines with 7 and 8.1 with no updates yes I can update, but I don't bother since I know what I'm doing so unfortunately this doesn't apply to all since many will click on bad pages, bad browsing habits, poor add-on / extensions utilization etc. So sec updates matter but sadly no OEM nor Google, nor the chipset maker care, because this market is the biggest rip off.

SAF hits very hard on top. Scoped Storage just killed everything that Android had, for eg - Kiwi Browser, I downloaded an image / pdf. I cannot see it under normal folder structure because it downloads to its own folder. Now there's one Pixel example, Pixel recorder, it has all the recordings but when you go to storage, with files default bs app, you cannot see it because Scoped Storage, one must "Share" through that app's menu to other apps, you know where this happens ? iOS. It's exact same. So basically Android is castrated hard at the basic level - Filesystem. You know which one shares the same disaster ? UWP, Windows 10 DRM. That Xbox Games as a Service bs uses it too, nothing is accessible to user no mods, no tweaks nothing. Any game the overlays won't work - FPS info, HW info and tools like MSI AB / HWInfo / Rivatuner etc. All inspired by control freaks at Apple corp.

Now when I looked at phones to buy all I see are hole/notched garbage phones without SD slots, no 3.5mm jacks, broken filesystem with high performance hit on top due to the SAF API. I even said bye to Xposed since Rovo went offline, because I didn't want extra battery drain on this phone (and the stupid 2FA garbage checks, luckily I backed up those apps which work an update to them will render the 2FA broke), but now to give up storage also ? I refuse to play along this stupid game now. Android as a pocket computer is dead. It's just a glorified iOS alternative for Social Media BS nothing more, for instance this phone has USB to Video out, I highly doubt any new phone has it, maybe Sony. HTC, LG, Samsung used to do in the past & that's a niche feature but it's now lacking basic things.

So I refuse to spend a lot of money for these replaceable garbage consumerism products, $1000 phone value depreciation under 1 year is 40% hit with Android market, and that's a lot of money loss for absolutely 2 years of max lifespan due to Li Ion battery cells. It's really waste of money. I still have to rely on a phone because of Office work due to the stupid 2FA and I need to use banking apps since we all rely on the go computing.. for now I'm fine because WFH.

And I absolutely agree that LG Dev team really on purpose put this exploit. This dev team is probably that last folks which handled the Software and HW so well, apparently some are still there that's how LG still packs a lot in a phone but the days are numbered for them.

Tell me if anyone has any ideas...just my opinion/rant maybe. I could only share with my V30 family here.