• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Where's AoD ( Always on Display ) ?

Search This thread

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I have to say I'm pretty shocked that OnePlus hasn't added AOD always on display to their phones yet it's been a stock Android thing for a couple good years already.

What's the deal?

roaduardo

Apr 27, 2016
One thing I like about this 7 Pro is you can enable the setting to show your lock screen when you slightly lift up your phone. Saves just that bit of extra battery life. I never liked AOD on my Samsung devices. But at least with the new One UI on those phones you can choose to have it turn on only when you tap on the display.

Reactions: equlizer

shumvgolove

Jul 24, 2019
For AOD you can use custom ROMs, although I don't know if AOD doesn't turn off pixels except the ones that shows information or else expect huge battery drain.

arsenal74

Nov 23, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
OnePlus is working on AOD....

Will believe it when I see it. Has been requested over and over for some time now, even more so since it was there briefly on the OP6 before being removed. It should not be hard and the OP devs are clearly very capable I think they do not really want to provide this feature for some reason and that we will get some battery related waffle as justification for it not being added.

I sold my OP7 pro and will not buy another OP device until they provide this feature. It is an important feature for me and too many other manufacturers provide it now so there is no need to miss out on it.

YMMV

Hirs_E_Fruit

Aug 9, 2015
Will believe it when I see it. Has been requested over and over for some time now, even more so since it was there briefly on the OP6 before being removed. It should not be hard and the OP devs are clearly very capable I think they do not really want to provide this feature for some reason and that we will get some battery related waffle as justification for it not being added.

I sold my OP7 pro and will not buy another OP device until they provide this feature. It is an important feature for me and too many other manufacturers provide it now so there is no need to miss out on it.

YMMV

Bye, nobody will miss you!

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012

YMMV

What a weird thing to get upset over.

ram4ufriends

Aug 12, 2014
San Antonio
Google Pixel 5
OnePlus 8T

exis_tenz

Oct 14, 2013
Not a weird thing to get upset about at all. Either AOD or a notification light should be "there". Light can be put anywhere, even in a button. Now I have an app running to light up now and then. Notify Buddy consumes way too much battery which isn't an option either. I upgraded from OP5 to OP7pro, but honestly, I still am wondering why I paid all that money. The OP5 was and still is a smooth as butter fine device. GF has it now.

superior888

Nov 13, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 11
Not a weird thing to get upset about at all. Either AOD or a notification light should be "there". Light can be put anywhere, even in a button. Now I have an app running to light up now and then. Notify Buddy consumes way too much battery which isn't an option either. I upgraded from OP5 to OP7pro, but honestly, I still am wondering why I paid all that money. The OP5 was and still is a smooth as butter fine device. GF has it now.

Exactly. I don't understand why they are talking about it drains battery. Yeah it does, but those who want it might not care. It's not exactly hard to implement AOD. Not offering no notification light and no AOD is just stupid. They been stating they are working on it for at least a year? That can't be true .

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The weird part is them selling their OP7 Pro for not having a feature that they knew wasn't on it when they bought it. Not sure why you'd purchase a phone that didn't have a feature you clearly would sell a phone for not having.

Reactions: vijn

arsenal74

Nov 23, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The weird part is them selling their OP7 Pro for not having a feature that they knew wasn't on it when they bought it. Not sure why you'd purchase a phone that didn't have a feature you clearly would sell a phone for not having.

Not sure that is what you really meant but let's move on. I am prone to impulse buys (don't judge me) which is what the OP7 was and with OP saying they were working on an AOD I kind of hoped it would come (as it finally did from Huawei) but now I honestly do not think it is.

My point is that a functioning AOD that does not kill your battery does not seem to be that difficult, most other manufactures offer it now and LG even managed it on an LCD. I'm guessing and reading between the lines but I think that they have no intention of adding it but cannot imagine why? as I said the OP devs are clearly very capable so I'm sure they could have done it by now if asked.

Zocker1304

Feb 15, 2016
As far as I know AOD consumes a few percent more per hour, maybe 3%. I don't know if that has gotten better in the last years. Still I don't understand why they don't offer the option to trade AOD for battery life. I guess the impact on battery in their testing must have been so high that it would've been a shame to release it. I guess it's kind of a "do it right or leave it" attempt they are following.

Also it could be together with the absence of the pocket mode. I guess since they don't have a normal proximity sensor that could be what stops them from adding it because if they did, they can't disable it when the phone is in the pocket.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

YMMV

Can you show me your settings and how you set it up? I tried this earlier today and i couldt get it to show! I Even paid to unlock it lol..

Here you go! This is the way I run it.
    Looks like they may have loaded back to front from the way I uploaded them???
    Anyway, I only included one screen shot of the Gmail app even though all four of the apps I use for notifications are all setup the same way.
    It might be weird for you but not for the other user...

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

He just told the fact, no need to be rude....

YMMV