• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

which browser is best for Nexus 9?

Search This thread

Chyeo1979

Apr 12, 2014
Which browser do you think works best on nexus 9 with the least lag and heat? Chrome is not bad in using but gets really hot and super lag sometimes when returning to home screen (could take up to 3-4 seconds for browser to close, sometimes even close in slow motion. I will say this is the most embarrrasing trait on Nexus 9 that should not exist at all).

Most other apps that i use are ok so far, but broswer is like the most fundamental thing they should get it to work well.

ayoraider07

Mar 17, 2007
I use puffin (free), and it is the fastest browser. But for the least amount of heat, opera mini(I prefer beta version) is good, but doesn't have the option for Desktop user agent...

With opera mini:
Anyone have thoughts on whether there is less heat because it is a "mini" browser or is it because the browser does data/image compression (off-road mode)

Its my understanding that the actual reason for excessive heat is because the CPU ramps up to max clock speed everytime the screen is touched, and this happens constantly while browsing. The only current solution is using the tablet in power saving mode, or some modifications to the kernel..

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
I use Firefox with adblock edge.
Less heat, slightly better battery life, and best of all (for me) is that it keeps playing videos in the background when I switch tabs, switch apps, or even lock the screen.

The best advice though for battery/heat issues is using elemantalx kernel and capping CPU/GPU frequencies while browsing.
Hope google fixes that governor quickly (and the memory management issues).

nycebo

Sep 15, 2010
New York, NY
Go back and forth between Ghostery and Atlas. Would love to use chrome but I need an adblocker extension (not supported) and man has it gotten laggy recently.

Chyeo1979

Apr 12, 2014
I use Firefox with adblock edge.
Less heat, slightly better battery life, and best of all (for me) is that it keeps playing videos in the background when I switch tabs, switch apps, or even lock the screen.

The best advice though for battery/heat issues is using elemantalx kernel and capping CPU/GPU frequencies while browsing.
Hope google fixes that governor quickly (and the memory management issues).

Firefox really a nice and polished browser, now my default. Only complaint is multiple windows dun appear as individual tabs on tablet.

Feb 15, 2015
The regular Opera seems to be working great for me. Great battery life, 6+ hours, where with chrome i was looking at like 4 hours SOT. Also loads fast, and doesnt keep reloading pages constantly like chrome does. Ive tried puffin, uc, firefox, dolphin, a bunch of different betas, and opera seems by far the best. Too bad they dont have a better looking icon, lol. Im running mine bone stock.

chris3g

Jun 11, 2010
Which browser do you think works best on nexus 9 with the least lag and heat? Chrome is not bad in using but gets really hot and super lag sometimes when returning to home screen (could take up to 3-4 seconds for browser to close, sometimes even close in slow motion. I will say this is the most embarrrasing trait on Nexus 9 that should not exist at all).

Most other apps that i use are ok so far, but broswer is like the most fundamental thing they should get it to work well.

Try Habit browser. I was ready to smash the tablet due to constant tab reloading in chrome beta.

You need to spend at least 30 minutes going through the options (there are hundreds) and you can configure it to look and behave exactly that way you want.

I also find battery life is slightly improved over chrome, i can get 8 hours of screen on time, most of that browsing.

W8nlkDQh.png

9cb9aArh.png

KedarWolf

Apr 27, 2012
Dolphin Here For Flash Support

Been using Dolphin for flash support for a long time. Used to be you needed to load a modified flash apk in Dolphin to get it to work but now i think it's included by default, at least I know for sure if you sign up for the Dolphin beta it is. Might be though it's included in the non-beta as well now. :D

nyasha1935

Apr 5, 2014
Johannesburg
Try Habit browser. I was ready to smash the tablet due to constant tab reloading in chrome beta.

You need to spend at least 30 minutes going through the options (there are hundreds) and you can configure it to look and behave exactly that way you want.

I also find battery life is slightly improved over chrome, i can get 8 hours of screen on time, most of that browsing.

W8nlkDQh.png

9cb9aArh.png

That Habit broswer is wicked. It's as if the tablet is idling. Thanks for the tip and screenshots:D

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London
Yes it's all about the habit browser. :cool:

No tabs reloading, so fast at loading. Night and day better performance. :highfive:

Feels like surfing on a PC once configured. :angel:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

W8nlkDQh.png

9cb9aArh.png