Which cell is just as good as the 20x mate?

Search This thread

Kurocham

May 23, 2014
What After adding to Huawei blacklist Trump that big screen cell phone would be good to buy. I love my 20x mate but let's be honest this will affect a lot to Huawei and q out your operating system and my OS) or is apps that has Google market are going to happen years it is possible that the factory only dedicated to continue selling in China and no longer internationally.

robsmith11

Jul 20, 2018
I honestly don't think there are any as good.

I didn't want to buy a Huawei because I'd much rather have an unlocked bootloader, but for me, the big screen, active pen, big battery, and fast cpu are too important to give up.

If you don't mind a slower CPU and no pen, but still want the huge screen, go with the Mi Max series.

If you want the pen, go with the Samsung Note 9.

I you just want an overall good phone, then there are plenty of other options depending on your priorities.

But I'd stick with the Mate 20 X. We shouldn't be affected that much. I'd guessing there will still be software updates for next year or so. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago and don't regret it at all.

Reactions: BigDisplay

esselite

Nov 13, 2006
Warsaw
Actually i would go for zenfone as first choice, then mi max and in last place this could be samsung note series, depends on what battery will be in 10 release.

WhySoSeriousJoKer

Oct 22, 2013
Leeuwarden
ZTE Axon 30
I'm thinking about the Oppo Reno 10x Zoom, nice looking phone with full flat screen/no notch, camera upgrade or the Nubia Red Magic 3 with a 90Hz screen and also a 5000mAh battery. I now that that both are 6.65 inch and smaller then the Mate 20 X, but i hide the notch from the begin, so i think the difference wil not be huge.

The ZenFone 6 is a no go for me, because it doesn't have a amoled screen. I really don't want a new phone without it.

Last edited:

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
I honestly don't think there are any as good.

I didn't want to buy a Huawei because I'd much rather have an unlocked bootloader, but for me, the big screen, active pen, big battery, and fast cpu are too important to give up.

If you don't mind a slower CPU and no pen, but still want the huge screen, go with the Mi Max series.

If you want the pen, go with the Samsung Note 9.

I you just want an overall good phone, then there are plenty of other options depending on your priorities.

But I'd stick with the Mate 20 X. We shouldn't be affected that much. I'd guessing there will still be software updates for next year or so. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago and don't regret it at all.
Yeah I am in the same boat...I mean already the Mate 20 x looks like a Hobbit compared to where I was coming from mediapad X2 and Sony Z3 Tablet Compact so I am having a hard time adjusting to the much smaller size but of course, the hardware itself is WAY above both of those phablets I had before. :D

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
All of these other phones are much narrower and smaller than the 20 X. A friend of mine wanted to try the OP7 Pro and we went to T-Mobile yesterday and he bought one to use along side his 20 X but after a day he said it's probably going back as it's just way too small. The camera isn't as good and the battery life isn't even close to the 20 X. My advice would be to keep the 20 X until another manufacturer decides to make a phone as large as the 20 X.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_175654.jpg
    IMG_20190525_175654.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Reactions: praveen6585

WhySoSeriousJoKer

Oct 22, 2013
Leeuwarden
ZTE Axon 30
All of these other phones are much narrower and smaller than the 20 X. A friend of mine wanted to try the OP7 Pro and we went to T-Mobile yesterday and he bought one to use along side his 20 X but after a day he said it's probably going back as it's just way too small. The camera isn't as good and the battery life isn't even close to the 20 X. My advice would be to keep the 20 X until another manufacturer decides to make a phone as large as the 20 X.

But the OP7 Pro looks smaller because it has curved glass, what i really don't like.

yetiweston

Mar 5, 2010
Prescot
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I still think it's all going to blow over and in a few months the wotsit in a wig and china will come to some sort of agreement, somewhat annoying that Donald making a decision like this affects us non Americans!

But, if the worst happened, as long as the play store etc was ok then I'd probably just carry on and keep using the Mate 20 X, Android P works fine for me so I can live with the phone staying as it is for another 12 months or so.

The only tempting part will be when the Pixel 4 and Note 10 are released and seeing what they are bringing with them, but they'd have to offer something ridiculously special which i doubt they will do

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
But the OP7 Pro looks smaller because it has curved glass, what i really don't like.

The OP7 Pro also has a 19.5:9 aspect ratio which is skinnier than the Mate 20 X's 18.7:9 and the crappy curved glass doesn't help. It sucks with phones when you live in the US. Not a lot of Global devices support all the US LTE bands.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

What other phone is just as good as the 20x ?
Answer is really simple : NONE.

Please don't get me wrong : I am by no means a Huawei/Honor fan.
Quite the opposite...

But let's face it : what other manufacturer offer a display that is close or above 7" ?
Answer here is really simple : there are only 2.5 manufacturers doing this :
- Xiaomi with the mi Max 3 ;
- Honor with the Note 10 and 8x Max ;
- Huawei with the Mate 20x.

Compare the 20x with the mi Max 3 and the Honor 8x max is of course not a question. They're simply not playing in the same league.
One may say whatever he wants about the Kirin SoC, but comparing a Kirin 980 with e snapdragon 636 is just not fair.
And comparing an IPS display with an OLED one isn't a fair comparison either.

So that leaves the Honor Note 10.
But it may have the same issues as Huawei. about Android.

And to make things clear : the developlment of Android has been halted to Huawei.
But :
- that doesn't mean that the past is getting rid off ; so if the phone is working right now, it will continue to work right after...
- Huawei still has access to the free source aosp and has enough power to continue to offer some updates based on that. And honestly : who is buying Huawei for the frequent updates ? You want a phone that is updated constantly ? There's only one manufacturer to go : Xiaomi... monthly updates for all their phones.

Just my own thoughts and expressing a personal opinion. I don't try to force my views on this upon any member of this community. So please, do not flame me if you disagree...

Regards.

BigDisplay

I had all 4 phones, now i only have the M20X which is so much better the the other 3.
Then comes Note 10, Mi max 3 and 8X max.
And im satisfied as it is, so i can live with it 1 year more if.
I just hope Ark OS soon will be released, im ready to support that vs Trump/US/Google/Android no matter what. This fake president shall not decide my choice of phone.

EQLucky

Jan 19, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10
Even if I am upset about Huawei system update policies, I've never been so comfortable with a phone before (well, maybe the Ascend Mate 7).
- The REAL dual speakers are incredibly outstanding. My wife ditched the iPad Mini-bluetooth speaker pair to start watching anything video-related on my 20X with me. We are really impressed.
- Speaking of multimedia, the screen is simply gorgeous.
- I hadn't ANY issue with ANY game. Period. I know the 855 is all around the news today, but this Kirin is nowhere behind. It flies.
- Calls are loud and crisp, seomthing which is really important for me.
- We have an LG Smart TV with webOS. It took me like 1 minute to launch the desktop from the 20X. I've tested it a couple of times, but I think this feature is something I will start using more frequently in the future, for sure.
- One of the best cameras around, even in night mode. No, no GCam needed, it does its work effortlessly and fluidly, something every frigging flagship camera should do (and not every one of them do).

Even if I only get security patches for the rest of its life, I'm keeping this beauty for a LONG time.

WhySoSeriousJoKer

Oct 22, 2013
Leeuwarden
ZTE Axon 30
I also love the speakers, what phone has two real speakers? Mostly the second speaker is the call speaker now and that's sounds bad. The same with the IR blaster, what new phone has that?

I wish that 5G version was a nice upgrade (WQHD+ screen, higher ppi, 90hz, under–screen fingerprint, more ram/storage, no notch, more zoom camera), but it looks more like a downgrade. :(

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_x_5g_bags_3c_certification_in_china-news-37546.php

Last edited:
Reactions: EQLucky

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Oukitel K9 7.12" with 6000mAH battery

I have this device
looks like a 20x clone minus some of the polish-not as fast not as loud but am sure can be improved a lot
has all US bands like 20x so works great here
stock Android 9
I got the SP flash tool flashable ROM
attached are the ROM contents
wonder if anyone could take up this for development
I picked it up from AliExpress for $179
Great great battery life better than 20x imo (but then performance is a price you pay-could be the Mediatek versus Kirin and just s/w ui polish missing)

EDIT it does have OEM bootloader unlocker option that you can choose and set active
not tried it yet-maybe it is a simple fastboot unlocker command without code (don't know untl I try or I might ask the company contacts who sent me the ROM and instructions etc)

Attachments

• k9rom.jpg
    k9rom.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Lmao as soon as I saw mediatek, instant turn off for me

Sent from my HUAWEI EVR-L29 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Lmao as soon as I saw mediatek, instant turn off for me

Sent from my HUAWEI EVR-L29 using XDA Labs

good you got a laugh from the wrong end he he

for calls, sms, mms, internet and most apps same result for 1/3rd the price

the 0.3 cumulative seconds saved over time did not change my life (doubt changes anyone's in reality)

definitely the 20x feels better no doubt having used both

asked a serious question and posed facts without embellishment

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I had all 4 phones, now i only have the M20X which is so much better the the other 3.
I just hope Ark OS soon will be released, im ready to support that vs Trump/US/Google/Android no matter what. This fake president shall not decide my choice of phone.

the mi max 3 imo was the best among the lot and I liked it more than the 20x ...the lack of network bands support (only 4 and 5 for Tmobile and ATT, and ATT does not even broadcast on 4 in my state, 5 is very spotty-so it was mostly on 3g or umts) otherwise mi max 3 with miui candy was the best also from balance, weight and feel standpoint

too bad no mi max 4 and mi mix 4 will never get a 6.9 variant

it seems to me that the OEMs are walking away from the large screens

why? 8x max came in the 7.2" first that the mate 20x eventually got

now 9x max is only coming in the 6.59" (as is the 9x)

then you have Xiaomi not doing the max 4

so that tells me the 6.9 to 7.2 era is done or on a pause for now

instead get 6.6 and 6.7 super skinny phones purporting to be large screen phones when they are not due to the elongated aspect ratios

Last edited:
Reactions: ivanox1972

ivanox1972

Sep 26, 2011
Unfortunately true, aspect 19.5x9 or new 20x9 is killing size, 6.7inch samsung a70 or op 7 pro have real size of old 16x9 phone 6 inch. This is nothing.
I think also that they kill 7 inch products to make space for foldable phones which costs few times more...
But still I hope Huawei will make 30x! Not just hope, but really think it is real.

Reactions: mac231us

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I could not attached the Mate 30 X info picture in my last post, so here it goes.

They also wrote "The Mate 30 X is also expected to get a bigger display compared to 7.2-inch display in Mate 20 X."

Only one thing to say AWESOME!!!

[emoji1305]Screenshot_20190824_091148_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Hi guys,

What other phone is just as good as the 20x ?
    Answer is really simple : NONE.

Please don't get me wrong : I am by no means a Huawei/Honor fan.
    Quite the opposite...

But let's face it : what other manufacturer offer a display that is close or above 7" ?
    Answer here is really simple : there are only 2.5 manufacturers doing this :
    - Xiaomi with the mi Max 3 ;
    - Honor with the Note 10 and 8x Max ;
    - Huawei with the Mate 20x.

Compare the 20x with the mi Max 3 and the Honor 8x max is of course not a question. They're simply not playing in the same league.
    One may say whatever he wants about the Kirin SoC, but comparing a Kirin 980 with e snapdragon 636 is just not fair.
    And comparing an IPS display with an OLED one isn't a fair comparison either.

So that leaves the Honor Note 10.
    But it may have the same issues as Huawei. about Android.

And to make things clear : the developlment of Android has been halted to Huawei.
    But :
    - that doesn't mean that the past is getting rid off ; so if the phone is working right now, it will continue to work right after...
    - Huawei still has access to the free source aosp and has enough power to continue to offer some updates based on that. And honestly : who is buying Huawei for the frequent updates ? You want a phone that is updated constantly ? There's only one manufacturer to go : Xiaomi... monthly updates for all their phones.

Just my own thoughts and expressing a personal opinion. I don't try to force my views on this upon any member of this community. So please, do not flame me if you disagree...

Regards.
    Ohhh yeah, there will be a Mate 30 X.
    Was the best news for me this morning [emoji3]

I wrote about it on the Huaweicentral site [emoji1303]
    Even if I am upset about Huawei system update policies, I've never been so comfortable with a phone before (well, maybe the Ascend Mate 7).
    - The REAL dual speakers are incredibly outstanding. My wife ditched the iPad Mini-bluetooth speaker pair to start watching anything video-related on my 20X with me. We are really impressed.
    - Speaking of multimedia, the screen is simply gorgeous.
    - I hadn't ANY issue with ANY game. Period. I know the 855 is all around the news today, but this Kirin is nowhere behind. It flies.
    - Calls are loud and crisp, seomthing which is really important for me.
    - We have an LG Smart TV with webOS. It took me like 1 minute to launch the desktop from the 20X. I've tested it a couple of times, but I think this feature is something I will start using more frequently in the future, for sure.
    - One of the best cameras around, even in night mode. No, no GCam needed, it does its work effortlessly and fluidly, something every frigging flagship camera should do (and not every one of them do).

Even if I only get security patches for the rest of its life, I'm keeping this beauty for a LONG time.