• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Which Custom Rom will work on J5

Search This thread

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Ive made a terrible mistake of not installing DevInfo before wiping my UK unlocked Samsung J5 and now i dont know what model number it was or what cpu i had arm32/64 or x86 I have tryed 3 different Linageos 17 and i keep getting this error on all of them.
I cant get my J5 to work through USB PC (Adb) so have to use another samsung phone which has a SD card so that i can put the rom on that and then transfer that sd card to the j5, also i never backed up my OS so theres nothing on there apart from TWRP

Theres no way in TWRP to get any info on the make or model, is there a safe universal rom to install via TWRP so that i can just check my model number cpu hardware etc, so i can then install the right lineageos 17 afterwards

20210908_183536.jpg

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Ive made a terrible mistake of not installing DevInfo before wiping my UK unlocked Samsung J5 and now i dont know what model number it was or what cpu i had arm32/64 or x86 I have tryed 3 different Linageos 17 and i keep getting this error on all of them.
I cant get my J5 to work through USB PC (Adb) so have to use another samsung phone which has a SD card so that i can put the rom on that and then transfer that sd card to the j5, also i never backed up my OS so theres nothing on there apart from TWRP

Theres no way in TWRP to get any info on the make or model, is there a safe universal rom to install via TWRP so that i can just check my model number cpu hardware etc, so i can then install the right lineageos 17 afterwards

View attachment 5405063
Some sensitive info was overlapped, for this reason this ROM is not recognizing your device as a candidate. If you are totally sure that this ROM work for your device, just delete from the zip path /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script something like assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device... and try again.

Regard to know the exact model you could flash a stock recovery (converting it in tar) from any of the LTE models; G/F/FM and booting to it, you will see the build number and the exact model it is.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Many thanks for your help.... Ive managed to find out that its a J5 SM-J530F 2017 (16gb) and with the IMEI number it has a ARM Cortex A53, Samsung Exynos 7870.

I loaded up a stock rom J530FXWS7CTF1 in Odin3_v3.10.5 everything went ok but when its starts up it goes into a loop on restart

20210909_135520.jpg

Loaded up the Rom and everything went ok

20210909_141821.jpg

Everything looked good

20210909_141613.jpg

20210909_141922.jpg

looks like its failed....

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Many thanks for your help.... Ive managed to find out that its a J5 SM-J530F 2017 (16gb) and with the IMEI number it has a ARM Cortex A53, Samsung Exynos 7870.

I loaded up a stock rom J530FXWS7CTF1 in Odin3_v3.10.5 everything went ok but when its starts up it goes into a loop on restart

View attachment 5405703

Loaded up the Rom and everything went ok

View attachment 5405705

Everything looked good

View attachment 5405709

View attachment 5405711

looks like its failed....
From what I understood, you flashed the official stock firmware through Odin, but then you did try to root it.

If this is the case after to flash the Samsung firmware you should to reboot to system and redo all the process to can flash something custom on it, I mean USB debugging, OEM unlock and this stuff, only starting from there you should go further with.

And one more thing, when you return completely to stock is always recommendable:
- Wiping all and formatting data through stock recovery
- Then go to bootloader (Odin mode)
- When flashing use the CSC_... different from the CSC_HOME this will wipe completely the preferences, and you can start freshly from there.

Why you don't use Magisk instead of SuperSu.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
again thank you for your time, i feel a bit embarrassed as im digging my self into a deeper situation and dont know what to do.
Since i dont have a OS installed am either stuck with download mode or twrp and even using magisk i cant get anything to work it seems that the custom lineageOS keeps saying its the wrong version for any of them.

one.jpg

two.jpg

magisk

three.jpg

anything else i could try if its salvageable, thanks again.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
again thank you for your time, i feel a bit embarrassed as im digging my self into a deeper situation and dont know what to do.
Since i dont have a OS installed am either stuck with download mode or twrp and even using magisk i cant get anything to work it seems that the custom lineageOS keeps saying its the wrong version for any of them.

View attachment 5408207

View attachment 5408209

magisk

View attachment 5408211

anything else i could try if its salvageable, thanks again.
Some insights about:
- Don't try to flash 3 files at once, flash one by one.
- did you do the right editing from the updater-script as indicated? Can you upload here just this file?
- Did you change the system partition through TWRP I mean did you do "repair file" ?
- It seems that TWRP is not finding the route to misc partition, have your ROM this file? Unpack the stock ROM and search for it in case you didn't do a backup from.
- And as a final resource the PIT repartitioning could work too but, we have to see other reasons why your device got this.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
hi thanks again for your patient i cant seem to find the line

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script something like assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device...

one.jpg

this is from the rom lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte.zip (569 Mb)

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
hi thanks again for your patient i cant seem to find the line

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script something like assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device...

View attachment 5409557

this is from the rom lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte.zip (569 Mb)
You have to delete all the lines above, edit it with Notepad++, and let it from "ui_print........" then save it, you don´t need to unpack the zip, just open it, edit it and save, WinRar or 7zip will update the zip with the changes.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
I used 7zip to edit the \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script and saving editied file without unzipping.

one.jpg

then i put the edited lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte.zip (569 Mb) file back onto microSDcard and tried again.

two.jpg

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I used 7zip to edit the \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script and saving editied file without unzipping.

View attachment 5410597

then i put the edited lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte.zip (569 Mb) file back onto microSDcard and tried again.

View attachment 5410601
You shortened too much the file, from your original updater-script uploaded some days ago you didn't leave the most important scripts.

I don't recommend using a simple Notepad to edit it, you should use Notepad++ or other tool like Sublime.

Can you upload the original-updater script? I will check it, and will upload it again, this way we can discard if this is the culprit or something is wrong with your file system.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
yes i deleted too much from the script file... i installed Notepad++ and re-done the script.

1.jpg

redited script saved

2.jpg

3.jpg

starts off good.

4.jpg

5.jpg

i dont know if it failed or if something did work as it asks if you want install twrp again

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
yes i deleted too much from the script file... i installed Notepad++ and re-done the script.

View attachment 5411271

redited script saved

View attachment 5411273

View attachment 5411275

starts off good.

View attachment 5411277

View attachment 5411279

i dont know if it failed or if something did work as it asks if you want install twrp again
The ROM you are trying to flash is this? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-the-galaxy-j5-pro-j530-02-02-2021.4227945/ if not, provide a link.

Nov 21, 2020

@68EC000 you should use the latest orange fox recovery for your device, This error was also faced by mt j5, I flashed orange fox recovery and I didn't get any error, With the old version of TWRP I was unable to flash android 10 lineage os on it​

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Hi

Thanks again for your input and help.....so i tryed the Rom from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-the-galaxy-j5-pro-j530-02-02-2021.4227945/

edited the updater script

3.jpg

4.jpg

error 7 again...

So i tryed hasangillani66 method installing OrangeFox and adb then copying recovery.img to the adb directory but im getting some error when typing device, also everytime a connect the j5 to the pc via usb i hear the usb connection sound but cant see anything in my computer.

5.jpg

1.png

2.png

3.png

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.png
    3.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.png
    3.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi

Thanks again for your input and help.....so i tryed the Rom from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-the-galaxy-j5-pro-j530-02-02-2021.4227945/

edited the updater script

View attachment 5412179

View attachment 5412181

error 7 again...

So i tryed hasangillani66 method installing OrangeFox and adb then copying recovery.img to the adb directory but im getting some error when typing device, also everytime a connect the j5 to the pc via usb i hear the usb connection sound but cant see anything in my computer.

View attachment 5412187

View attachment 5412189

View attachment 5412197

View attachment 5412203
TBH, I don't understand what you are trying to do with ADB,

Odin works while the device is in download mode, you should power off the device and then either reboot via recovery to bootloader mode or directly by pressing the key combo to download mode.

Extract the image from Orange Fox recovery (usually it comes into a zip with add-ons), compress the recovery image into a tar using 7zip, uncheck in Odin "Auto reboot" option and after to flash it, reboot manually to the new recovery, transfer the Orange zip file to your SDCard and flash the zip to have all the scripts and add-ons integrated.

That's all regards Orange Fox recovery.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Thank you again for your helping a low tech savvy person like myself, well i managed to get somewhere this time as the photos will explan

1.jpg

turned zip to tar

2.jpg

flash passed

3.jpg

starts up with orangefox

now when you say
transfer the Orange zip file to your SDCard and flash the zip to have all the scripts and add-ons integrated.

does that mean turn these files in the photo below in one zip file and transfer to SD card & flash

4.jpg

thanks again for being so patient.

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Now when you say
transfer the Orange zip file to your SDCard and flash the zip to have all the scripts and add-ons integrated.

does that mean turn these files in the photo below in one zip file and transfer to SD card & flash

Download Ofox zip from their website. Your device can be found here Orange Fox J5 2017

The XDA thread for orange fox for your device can be found here

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you again for your helping a low tech savvy person like myself, well i managed to get somewhere this time as the photos will explan

View attachment 5412943

turned zip to tar

View attachment 5412947

flash passed

View attachment 5412949

starts up with orangefox

now when you say

View attachment 5412963

thanks again for being so patient.
Oh Man, I hope you didn't brick your device, the recovery image must be targeted to the AP slot, not to the BL.

If you encountered some issue with a normal boot flash back again the BL file supposed to be in the stock Samsung firmware, extract it from there and compress it as tar with 7zip.

The Orange Fox zip is the same from which you extract it the recovery image, as you could see it contains other files that can't be flashed through fastboot method (for other devices) or download mode (for Samsung) and the zip have to be flashed through Orange Fox to permanently have those files in your SD card in the Fox path directory. Again, is the same zip where you did get the recovery image from.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi thanks again in helping....but unfortunately i updated to the newer twrp via odin and it would just stay on the twrp home screen couldnt get into the options so i tryed the other twrp via odin and they wouldnt even run and would constantly reboot to the j5 logo.

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

But would only stay on this screen

View attachment 5417705

So i tryed the others in the list and they wouldnt even load just the j5 home screen again and again

View attachment 5417707

so fearing screenburn i reinstalled ver 3110 again and i was able to get back in.

View attachment 5417711

Can i use this version to install a stable Lineage OS as i wont bother with Lineage 17.1 (like on Note 3)
    as i think people are gonna get annoyed with me here as i cant seem to get anything to work.
    Thanks Again.
    You don't need Odin to update twrp if you already have twrp installed.

Just download the twrp.img from the thread I linked above and select image flash in twrp and flash to recovery.

If you still aren't happy with this solution the only other option is to use old outdated ROMs which probably haven't been updated in a while and may have security vulnerabilities by now.

Edit:
    Also never apologise for asking questions. That's what these forums are for. We build, test, fix and sometimes we run into trouble and require the help of others. All I can say is if you see someone in future on these forums that has an issue and you know how to help, then return the favour to the community like @SubwayChamp has done for you here.

Hope you get everything working anyway and if you have any other issues just post them here, someone will help (y)
    hi thanks again in helping....but unfortunately i updated to the newer twrp via odin and it would just stay on the twrp home screen couldnt get into the options so i tryed the other twrp via odin and they wouldnt even run and would constantly reboot to the j5 logo.

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

But would only stay on this screen

View attachment 5417705

So i tryed the others in the list and they wouldnt even load just the j5 home screen again and again

View attachment 5417707

so fearing screenburn i reinstalled ver 3110 again and i was able to get back in.

View attachment 5417711

Can i use this version to install a stable Lineage OS as i wont bother with Lineage 17.1 (like on Note 3)
    as i think people are gonna get annoyed with me here as i cant seem to get anything to work.
    Thanks Again.
    If you followed the right line, I mean
    - If you flashed the latest firmware available for your device to have it as base, (And of course if the tool didn't return with some error)
    - If you formatted data prior to flash the firmware (preferable)
    - If you are sure that the TWRP version is suitable for your device.
    - If you are sure that the ROM is suitable for your device, too.
    - If you followed all the steps (carefully) indicated in the proper thread where the custom ROM is available...

Then the two first things that come to my mind are:
    - Your file-system partition might be corrupted, I mean some of them exceed the length where have to be placed, i.e. if you reassigned different size in a certain time "toying" with your device. Solution: Re-partitioning with the PIT file that is inside the stock Samsung ROM, you have to extract it from there and flash it through Odin.
    - Your display was changed in a certain time (maybe the device had an older owner IDK...) or got damaged with a shock/knock (not sure the exact word) in a way that display is not detecting properly the drivers while in TWRP. A short explanation about this last: The complete set of drivers are not always loaded at that instance in the way that are when the system boot up completely.

Anyway this has a simple solution, not comfortable maybe in the way that you would interact with your device but...

You always can flash anything what you want while in TWRP using ADB commands (of course, just to clarify, from your PC), a simple example with Magisk is the next: adb shell twrp install /sdcard/Magisk.zip (Where Magisk.zip is placed in your internal memory, and it is called this way) You can change the route i.e. directly from your PC.