• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Which Custom Rom will work on J5

Search This thread

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Hi thanks again for sorting the situation out for me.....

Ok ive re-Flashed the recovery.tar to the AP section

1.png

I then moved the [email protected]_1 to the sd card on the phone and ran it

then I tryed to flash rom lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte(1).zip

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

No Luck again, anything else left to try.....

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi thanks again for sorting the situation out for me.....

Ok ive re-Flashed the recovery.tar to the AP section

View attachment 5413915

I then moved the [email protected]_1 to the sd card on the phone and ran it

then I tryed to flash rom lineage-17.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte(1).zip

View attachment 5413917

View attachment 5413919

View attachment 5413923

No Luck again, anything else left to try.....
Well, the possible errors addressed by TWRP is self-explanatory, you have to check them one-by-one. Probably you should start from a factory reset, your recovery seems to not be able to mount partitions.

Also check if the ROM is for J530F and not only for J530.

If all is fine after you checked, then you should re-flash the stock ROM to restore the partitions, because something might be corrupted.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Hi thank you again for all your help and advice, i decided to load a basic rom and i found that this rom worked

e-0.15-q-20210324-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte its a basic from but at least it got me a basic rom on the phone from which i could then install a better rom....

again i have posted photos along the way as it explains each step...

installing rom just one error Mount Vendor

1.jpg

Rom Successfully installed

2.jpg

3.jpg

We are in finally....a basic rom from which i could install a better custom rom

4.jpg

Lets enable the USB options before installing newer rom.

5.jpg

unfortunately its was too good to be true as i was stuck on this screen after start up and could only choose between this screen or the download screen couldnt go anywhere else, i tryed in the adb console to shut down phone but the phone was not showing up in devices.

6.jpg

I was worried about getting screenburn on the phone as i couldnt turn it off, so i reinstalled TWRP via odin

7.jpg

and now we are back here again, do i click the e015 rom from TWRP or are we gonna get all sorts of partion error 7 like before and i will need to install OrangeFox again

Dont know what went wrong everything was going so well

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi thank you again for all your help and advice, i decided to load a basic rom and i found that this rom worked

e-0.15-q-20210324-UNOFFICIAL-j5y17lte its a basic from but at least it got me a basic rom on the phone from which i could then install a better rom....

again i have posted photos along the way as it explains each step...

installing rom just one error Mount Vendor

View attachment 5414687

Rom Successfully installed

View attachment 5414689

View attachment 5414691

We are in finally....a basic rom from which i could install a better custom rom

View attachment 5414693

Lets enable the USB options before installing newer rom.

View attachment 5414695

unfortunately its was too good to be true as i was stuck on this screen after start up and could only choose between this screen or the download screen couldnt go anywhere else, i tryed in the adb console to shut down phone but the phone was not showing up in devices.

View attachment 5414697

I was worried about getting screenburn on the phone as i couldnt turn it off, so i reinstalled TWRP via odin

View attachment 5414699

and now we are back here again, do i click the e015 rom from TWRP or are we gonna get all sorts of partion error 7 like before and i will need to install OrangeFox again

Dont know what went wrong everything was going so well
What exactly did fail? I saw you booted up to e-OS, then what? Did you try to boot to Orange Fox or TWRP but you couldn´t boot up again?

68EC000

May 17, 2020
well i installed e-OS and it installed sucessfully which after setting up wifi and enable usb debugging i then went to restart phone so that i can go back into e-OS, but for some reason it would just hang at the orangefox screen and wouldnt let me in anyway get back into the phone. so i had to install TWRP to stop screenburn

So should i attempt to install e-OS or Linage 17.1 from TWRP now, or will i start getting partition error 7 again and need to reinstall orangefox.

Funny how i installed Lineage 17.1 on my moms Samsung Note 3 running KitKat flawlessy following the guides, yet mine J5 following guides throws up problem after problem.

20210921_171444.jpg

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
well i installed e-OS and it installed sucessfully which after setting up wifi and enable usb debugging i then went to restart phone so that i can go back into e-OS, but for some reason it would just hang at the orangefox screen and wouldnt let me in anyway get back into the phone. so i had to install TWRP to stop screenburn

So should i attempt to install e-OS or Linage 17.1 from TWRP now, or will i start getting partition error 7 again and need to reinstall orangefox.

Funny how i installed Lineage 17.1 on my moms Samsung Note 3 running KitKat flawlessy following the guides, yet mine J5 following guides throws up problem after problem.

View attachment 5415405
I think garylawwd is right, you should update your recovery, check the latest version.

68EC000

May 17, 2020
hi thanks again in helping....but unfortunately i updated to the newer twrp via odin and it would just stay on the twrp home screen couldnt get into the options so i tryed the other twrp via odin and they wouldnt even run and would constantly reboot to the j5 logo.

Newer TWRP installed ok

1.jpg

But would only stay on this screen

20210924_153700.jpg

So i tryed the others in the list and they wouldnt even load just the j5 home screen again and again

2.jpg

so fearing screenburn i reinstalled ver 3110 again and i was able to get back in.

20210924_160714.jpg

Can i use this version to install a stable Lineage OS as i wont bother with Lineage 17.1 (like on Note 3)
as i think people are gonna get annoyed with me here as i cant seem to get anything to work.
Thanks Again.

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
hi thanks again in helping....but unfortunately i updated to the newer twrp via odin and it would just stay on the twrp home screen couldnt get into the options so i tryed the other twrp via odin and they wouldnt even run and would constantly reboot to the j5 logo.

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

So i tryed the others in the list and they wouldnt even load just the j5 home screen again and again

View attachment 5417707

so fearing screenburn i reinstalled ver 3110 again and i was able to get back in.

View attachment 5417711

Can i use this version to install a stable Lineage OS as i wont bother with Lineage 17.1 (like on Note 3)
as i think people are gonna get annoyed with me here as i cant seem to get anything to work.
Thanks Again.
You don't need Odin to update twrp if you already have twrp installed.

Just download the twrp.img from the thread I linked above and select image flash in twrp and flash to recovery.

If you still aren't happy with this solution the only other option is to use old outdated ROMs which probably haven't been updated in a while and may have security vulnerabilities by now.

Edit:
Also never apologise for asking questions. That's what these forums are for. We build, test, fix and sometimes we run into trouble and require the help of others. All I can say is if you see someone in future on these forums that has an issue and you know how to help, then return the favour to the community like @SubwayChamp has done for you here.

Hope you get everything working anyway and if you have any other issues just post them here, someone will help (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: SubwayChamp

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

View attachment 5417707

View attachment 5417711

Thanks Again.
If you followed the right line, I mean
- If you flashed the latest firmware available for your device to have it as base, (And of course if the tool didn't return with some error)
- If you formatted data prior to flash the firmware (preferable)
- If you are sure that the TWRP version is suitable for your device.
- If you are sure that the ROM is suitable for your device, too.
- If you followed all the steps (carefully) indicated in the proper thread where the custom ROM is available...

Then the two first things that come to my mind are:
- Your file-system partition might be corrupted, I mean some of them exceed the length where have to be placed, i.e. if you reassigned different size in a certain time "toying" with your device. Solution: Re-partitioning with the PIT file that is inside the stock Samsung ROM, you have to extract it from there and flash it through Odin.
- Your display was changed in a certain time (maybe the device had an older owner IDK...) or got damaged with a shock/knock (not sure the exact word) in a way that display is not detecting properly the drivers while in TWRP. A short explanation about this last: The complete set of drivers are not always loaded at that instance in the way that are when the system boot up completely.

Anyway this has a simple solution, not comfortable maybe in the way that you would interact with your device but...

You always can flash anything what you want while in TWRP using ADB commands (of course, just to clarify, from your PC), a simple example with Magisk is the next: adb shell twrp install /sdcard/Magisk.zip (Where Magisk.zip is placed in your internal memory, and it is called this way) You can change the route i.e. directly from your PC.

Reactions: garylawwd

68EC000

May 17, 2020
Ok I followed the steps

Flashed TWRP 351_90 from sd card and flash to recovery.

2.jpg

So when the phone started in automatically went to the stock e rom i had installed
earlier.

3.jpg

Restatred Phone many times and it would go to Stock Rom no problems....

Ok thought is was time to install LineageOS so held PW HOME +UP to go into TWRP but it would just hang on the TWRP Home screen only option was this or download page

4.jpg

So had to install older TWRP incase i got screenburn

6.jpg

5.jpg

I dont know why the phone gets stuck on the home screen on TWRP 3.5.1

but seems to work with 3.1.1

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Ok I followed the steps

Flashed TWRP 351_90 from sd card and flash to recovery.

View attachment 5419333

So when the phone started in automatically went to the stock e rom i had installed
earlier.

View attachment 5419339

Restatred Phone many times and it would go to Stock Rom no problems....

Ok thought is was time to install LineageOS so held PW HOME +UP to go into TWRP but it would just hang on the TWRP Home screen only option was this or download page

View attachment 5419341

So had to install older TWRP incase i got screenburn

View attachment 5419343

View attachment 5419345

I dont know why the phone gets stuck on the home screen on TWRP 3.5.1

but seems to work with 3.1.1
Wasn't your display replaced at some time? I think the issue is with the drivers. Why you don't use the TWRP that is functional for you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

View attachment 5417707

View attachment 5417711

Thanks Again.

Just download the twrp.img from the thread I linked above and select image flash in twrp and flash to recovery.

If you still aren't happy with this solution the only other option is to use old outdated ROMs which probably haven't been updated in a while and may have security vulnerabilities by now.

Edit:
    Also never apologise for asking questions. That's what these forums are for. We build, test, fix and sometimes we run into trouble and require the help of others. All I can say is if you see someone in future on these forums that has an issue and you know how to help, then return the favour to the community like @SubwayChamp has done for you here.

Hope you get everything working anyway and if you have any other issues just post them here, someone will help (y)

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

View attachment 5417707

View attachment 5417711

Thanks Again.
    - If you flashed the latest firmware available for your device to have it as base, (And of course if the tool didn't return with some error)
    - If you followed all the steps (carefully) indicated in the proper thread where the custom ROM is available...

- Your file-system partition might be corrupted, I mean some of them exceed the length where have to be placed, i.e. if you reassigned different size in a certain time "toying" with your device. Solution: Re-partitioning with the PIT file that is inside the stock Samsung ROM, you have to extract it from there and flash it through Odin.
    - Your display was changed in a certain time (maybe the device had an older owner IDK...) or got damaged with a shock/knock (not sure the exact word) in a way that display is not detecting properly the drivers while in TWRP. A short explanation about this last: The complete set of drivers are not always loaded at that instance in the way that are when the system boot up completely.

Anyway this has a simple solution, not comfortable maybe in the way that you would interact with your device but...

You always can flash anything what you want while in TWRP using ADB commands (of course, just to clarify, from your PC), a simple example with Magisk is the next: adb shell twrp install /sdcard/Magisk.zip (Where Magisk.zip is placed in your internal memory, and it is called this way) You can change the route i.e. directly from your PC.

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

View attachment 5417707

View attachment 5417711

Thanks Again.

Edit:

Newer TWRP installed ok

View attachment 5417701

View attachment 5417705

View attachment 5417707

View attachment 5417711

Thanks Again.