Which Galaxy Note 4 to buy with rooting in mind?

Search This thread

browny_amiga

May 7, 2013
Hi,

I want to buy a Note 4 and absolutely need root on it. I just found some ugly stuff about rooting it:

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-att/help/root-samsung-sm-n910a-5-1-1-build-t3355869
quote:
----------------------
forgot to tell you the two U.S. carriers that put locks on their bootloaders is AT&T and VERIZON so i wouldnt recommend root unless you unlock bootloader or else your phone will continueously stay in boot mode without letting you exit. that i believe is a bootloop good luck
-----------------------
Since I can chose which one I buy, I obviously want to get the one that can be rooted. It does not have to be easy, I have used odin in the past, no problem. There are quite a few versions out there though, and I'm a little confused which ones will work. Looks to me like that N910A is out and root pretty much impossible.

I have my eyes on the canada version: N910W8
What about the T-mobile version?

Thanks,

Markus

Hi,

I want to buy a Note 4 and absolutely need root on it. I just found some ugly stuff about rooting it:

quote:
----------------------
forgot to tell you the two U.S. carriers that put locks on their bootloaders is AT&T and VERIZON so i wouldnt recommend root unless you unlock bootloader or else your phone will continueously stay in boot mode without letting you exit. that i believe is a bootloop good luck
-----------------------
Since I can chose which one I buy, I obviously want to get the one that can be rooted. It does not have to be easy, I have used odin in the past, no problem. There are quite a few versions out there though, and I'm a little confused which ones will work. Looks to me like that N910A is out and root pretty much impossible.

Thanks,

Markus

AT&T and Verizon should be avoided, otherwise you can just flash super-su via odin.

nine5raptor

Apr 7, 2014
Hi,

quote:
----------------------
-----------------------

Thanks,

Markus
910t is mod friendly. To root a 910t, you flash Odin and load SuperSU (systemless) as indicated above or flash a permissive kernal and system level root. It is also compatible with att network if that is your carrier. Just need to unlock it.

joebelachi

Mar 4, 2015
AT&T and Verizon should be avoided, otherwise you can just flash super-su via odin.

Bit of a noob, but I'm a bit confused. If I buy an "Unlocked" Verizon phone like the SM-N910V, would I be able to use any custom roms?

I was about to buy either the N910V (Verizon) or N910W8 (Verizon/North America)

Can't the Verizon & AT&T be rooted with Chainfire AutoRoot?

noob4598

Jun 26, 2015
Timmonsville
Bit of a noob, but I'm a bit confused. If I buy an "Unlocked" Verizon phone like the SM-N910V, would I be able to use any custom roms?

Only if you buy a developer edition verizon model and last time I checked they were upwards of around $800. Your best bet is W8 or T. I did all the research like you and ended up buying a T and have never been happier

(Unlocked means sim unlocked)
Bootloader Unlocked verizon phones can be flashed with a custom rom, and if you get a verizon phone, I suggest a Bootloader unlocked one. Verizon and AT&T phones with locked bootloaders can't be rooted with Chainfire. Chainfire should NOT be used on a phone with a locked bootloader because it flashes partitions and will most likely hard brick your phone. I would still sugest against a Bootloader non-unlocked Verizon or AT&T phone. Also using a custom recovery or odin to flash super-su has worked much better for me with a lot less less risk than Chainfire.

Last edited:

rostol

Jul 31, 2007
BA
Whatever you decide upon dont get the EDGE. it needs special roms, and it wont work with gear VRs. i have the euro verison, and didnt have any problems rooting. cf-autoroot and done.

joebelachi

Mar 4, 2015
Really appreciate the responses guys. Especially for the clarification around Unlocking ("Unlocked means the bootloader").

I'll check out what custom ROMS work on the Verizon (910V).

Are there more ROMS for the 910W8's or the 910V's. Also if I go stock on the W8s, I would have to choose a Canadian carrier.

I'll definitely stay away from the EDGE, didn't really like it anyway :)

nine5raptor

Apr 7, 2014
Really appreciate the responses guys. Especially for the clarification around Unlocking ("Unlocked means the bootloader").

I'll check out what custom ROMS work on the Verizon (910V).

Are there more ROMS for the 910W8's or the 910V's. Also if I go stock on the W8s, I would have to choose a Canadian carrier.

I'll definitely stay away from the EDGE, didn't really like it anyway :)
Careful there, usually 'unlocked' like on Swappa or similar means carrier unlocked, not boot loader unlocked.