Which GCam version/settings are people using?

Search This thread

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
I think ANXCamera (which is the Modded stock MIUI camera for AOSP roms) https://camera.aeonax.com/ is good for day to day use in multi environments. (requires root to flash extra libraries to get the 48MP mode working)

I also think Bulkin043 aka InnocentParrot's gcam port (PMGC) https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bulkin043/ is well if you load the RN7 xml config. And also works well in multi environments.

tigr TR_Camera_Reborn https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-tigr/ i think has too much un-natural color and cant be changed within the camera app, therefore i dont like it.

BSG GCAM https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/ worked good and took good pictures, but i think Bulkin043 aka InnocentParrot was better

san1ty gcam port i havent tried, but works on android 10 supposedly. Also needs to load redmi note7 xml config. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-san1ty/

there is also HYPERCAM
https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-7/how-to/gcam-best-gcam-redmi-note-7-t3976747
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-jairo_rossi/
Hypercam looks promising, but i havent had time to test it

Last edited:

souvikpal

Oct 11, 2015
Kolkata
I have one mi Note 7s, and for that device trCamera_REBORN is producing the best results, in the sense of details of the image.
I have tried to compare the stock cam, trCamera_REBORN_V4b, trCamera_REBORN(RN7), PMGC_7.0.009_Version_V6 (posted on this forum by cRaZyzMaN), and PMGC_7.0.009_Version_V6 with a custom config.
Among those trCamera_REBORN(RN7) was consistent in both outdoor and indoor lighting conditions. I am attaching a indoor test result here.
But for Video nothing can beat the Stock cam currently.

Attachments

• cam2.JPG
    cam2.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

ahmetmeco59

Apr 6, 2020
PMGC_7.0.009_HDR_Version_V13. video does not sound

Hello, I am using redmi note 7 I tried many gcam problems but I saw that it is the most beautiful Parrot043 software. I installed PMGC_7.0.009_HDR_Version_V13 in redmi note 7, the video does not sound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nice review thanks!
    Is BSG version the best one?
    Don't u think that gcam shots are a bit underexposed?
    Has gcam same stabilization than the stock camera? Or is better/worse?
    I believe BSG is the best choice so far as everything works really well and it is specifically developed for the Redmi Note 7.

I do think some GCam shots are slightly underexposed. The blacks get crushed in some images as compared to the stock app. But even in those cases, I mostly prefer the GCam photo as it usually has better rendition of the sky/highlights, more accurate colours, less blur and noise, with more detail all around - floors, walls, faces, textures. I'd say 9 out of 10 shots are clearly better with GCam for me, and the one is subjective.
    GCam's advanced stacking is what really brings this phone closer to the output of a flagship cameraphone – it results in less noise, more detail and a better dynamic range. These days, great smartphone photography is all about the processing power and algorithms, providing everyone uses similar sensors, as they do.

So as a rule of thumb, I'd recommend sticking to BSG's GCam as your default camera app. For those who are more passionate about this, I'd also recommend taking important shots with both the stock app and GCam and comparing the results for themselves. Also try shooting RAW in GCam and post-editing, the results of that would be interesting to see. Even trying out the 48 MP mode in well-lit situations and see if there is any difference. (I think there is, but only on the Note 7 Pro.) Also, it'll be interesting to see how MIUI updates will improve the stock camera app, and I think they will, because this is a very popular phone and the hardware is there: GCam shows it can be done better, but cannot access the camera hardware as directly as MIUI can (e.g. 48 MP mode).

I haven't tested video too much, but what I can tell so far:
    Back camera: stock camera offers slightly better stabilization at 1080p, and records at a higher video bitrate.
    GCam footage appears to have better dynamic range. Also the viewfinder is stabilized (in the stock app it isn't). The stock app processes the video with a higher contrast and saturation at the expense of crushing the lows and highs a bit. GCam also records stabilized 4K, although I think it's a bit less stable than 1080p. GCam records audio at a higher bitrate, but video at a lower one. I'd say stock camera wins here in your typical situations, but if you've decided to always use GCam, the end result is about the same. You get some, you lose some. More in-depth testing needed for a conclusion!

Front camera: stock doesn't stabilize, GCam crops significantly and stabilizes OK. Open Camera pulls one out of the hat and records stabilized 4K with the front cam! Further testing needed to be able to tell what's the best option.

Thanks. That's a good overview comparing the stock camera app to Gcam. Knew of a lot of these differences watching YouTube photo and video comparisons, but not all of them. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=redmi+note+7+stock+camera+vs+gcam Helps if you speak Hindi too. ;)

Are you using the Gcam apks from this guy? He's the one focusing on Redmi Note 7 phones. I'll just use the latest one. Still setting up my phone. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bulkin043/

I started using backrider's GCam for Nokia 7 Plus. I think many people have mistakenly used it because the filename contains the N7P designation, but it does not stand for Note 7 Pro :)
    Since then, I've been using BSG's versions tailored for the RN7 (and so designated) available here:
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/

I've just installed the v1 final+, so these days I'll be trying it out. It has some new features such as Google's AWB. An issue that remained in the previous version I was using was a red tint that was removed from most parts, but remained when you use HDR+ enhanced mode.
    I also want to try bulkin's version, as he uses other versions and adjusts it for the Note 7. It might yield even better results. But I've been pretty happy with the BSG one, so I haven't used others.
    I tried the backrider version for Nokia 7 Plus when I first got the Note 7 and it was much better than the stock camera (I was amazed by the night mode at first), but not all things worked. And also it had a slight red tint over the images, which would sometimes add too much red to skin colour.
    Then I tried the first BSG version for Note 7 I suppose, and that one was great. Everything worked, no force closes. The only issue was blue colour in HDR highlights (where it should normally be just blown out white). At the moment I'm using BSG V1e, the strange one without a changelog as the previous poster has noticed. Works perfectly, no more blue in HDR highlights, slow motion works great (as opposed to the stock app... I get regular dropped frames using stock), and I only had to set the saturation to -1 for both cameras to make it perfect for me.

BSG GCam vs Note 7 stock:
    Front camera gives less blurry results (frame stacking obviously), the camera is really boosted by GCam. It takes it to another level of sharpness, colour, white balance, noise reduction. For portrait photos, sometimes I can't tell whether the image was taken by the front or back cam. If I remember correctly, front camera video stabilization is also more stable than stock.
    Back camera: images are less noisy both during the day and at night, they are sharper and more detailed in general. Contrast, WB and colour reproduction are better. Dynamic range is better, although I get the impression that contrast processing sometimes loses details in the shadows when compared to the stock camera. Night mode is much better than the stock camera's when it comes to detail, noise reduction etc. Back camera records stabilized 4K video with GCam. Other very cool additional functions that the stock doesn't have: Photo Sphere, Photo Booth, QR scanning, animations, focus tracking, RAW, cooler panorama, night mode for the front camera. Blur in portrait mode doesn't have live preview, but the amount of blur as well as the focus point can be adjusted in Google Photos after taking a photo.

Actually, as GCam is better at almost everything, it might be easier to enumerate the few things that I believe are better in stock camera right now:
    -Portrait mode has live preview
    -Sometimes it preserves details in the shadows in day photos in cases where GCam goes for a contrasty image
    -Fingerprint scanner can be used as a shutter button
    -If you're into that, going all in with the digital zoom in both photo and video mode gives better results/detail in the stock camera
    -48 MP mode (but from my tests, I haven't noticed additional detail in those photos regardless of the shooting conditions)

Also, what about that AI in the stock camera? When activated, have you noticed any impact on the images at all? Or scene recognition even?

*Open Camera allows you to record 4K with the front camera. I believe it's stabilized as well.

Now I want to try the new BSG version with AWB and see how it affects image quality. Anybody tried it already?
    BSG's version is really good for most people, it's straightforward and it just works. However, people on this forum always want to get the best out of the hardware they own. After some time using BSG's GCam, I can confirm that it does process photos in a way that adds a bit too much contrast to the darker areas, so the original images seem to have a lower dynamic range because of the darker shadows. I believe this only happens when the highlights are also stretching the dynamic range at the same time – photos taken in daylight, with the sun/sky visible, then this happens to the shadows. However, in the attached sample you can see the result after simply lifting the shadows in either Google Photos or Adobe Lightroom on the phone (can't remember which one). And I didn't even use RAW output, I just edited the jpeg file. Saturation was slightly increased as well. Notice how much more detail you can notice in the shadows and in the trees. Also, you can also notice the green glass facade of the building whose colour is barely discernible in the untouched photo.

There is no setting in BSG's version that we could alter to fix this on our own and as far as I know, BSG only communicates in Russian, on a Russian forum, so no way for me to contact him/them and request this to be fixed. You could maybe use exposure compensation (EV) in shots such as this one, but that might also ruin the highlights or do other unwanted things to the image. This makes me want to experiment with the bulkin version.
    Mind you, the sample here is taken using HDR+ only. I have faith that using HDR+ Enhanced might have solved this, but it was just a quick snap on the go and I didn't think to turn it on. Also, I didn't take the same photo with the stock app, so I couldn't make a comparison in that case.

Btw, I have the HDR control toggle in GCam set to on, so I can choose between HDR off, HDR+, HDR+ enhanced. If that toggle is off, does the phone automatically switch between HDR+ enhanced and HDR+, or does it simply use HDR+ all the time in that case?

Night photos: stock camera's night mode in street photos during the night sometimes appears to produce more pleasant images at first sight. However, as soon as you take a closer look, you'll notice that stock's white balance is off, noise is often out of control, and detail, especially in darker areas, is incomparable with GCam's Night Sight. What's better in stock: it sometimes manages to save highlights in night mode better than GCam can. For example, lit billboards can sometimes be legible in photos taken by the stock app, whereas GCam has them partially blown out. GCam's output has much more advantages, so I'm still happier with that.

I've noticed an issue with red lights in night photos (lit signs, traffic lights, tail lights on cars). Maybe it's the fault of the sensor, the lens, filter or another issue, but red lit signs in the night appear either pink, magenta, light red or purple in both GCam and stock photos. I've managed to correct the issue by changing the tone/tint of pink or whatever colour is rendered in the image to red. I've done that in Lightroom on the phone, works pretty well. But I think I shouldn't have to do that :D

Google's AWB works really well with both cameras at nighttime and usually produces very natural skin tones and colours of the surroundings, where automatic white balance will usually leave you with yellow-tinted or whatever the lighting was at the club while you were taking the photo.

Btw, XDA forum's image compression added noise to the sky in the sample images. There is virtually no noise in the original.
    Can somebody post some photos with gcam and stock app?

See the difference... One from Gcam another from stock

IMG-20190331-235700.jpg

IMG-20190331-235744.jpg