Which is the best phone for LineageOS 2017?

Search This thread
Nov 16, 2014
This sources haven't been released yet.
what are you talking about?

what is this then?

https://github.com/tissot-dev/android_device_xiaomi_tissot

Or am I missing something here?

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

This sources haven't been released yet.

https://github.com/tissot-dev/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi

what are talking about? what is this then or am I mistaken? someone with better knowhow/why kindly please confirm!

Nylo

Aug 18, 2008
I'm using a Samsung ATT Note 2 and everything is running perfectly on lOS. I cannot be happier. Its running just as fast as my S7/8.0 and has it beat on the Android security update... Go figure. I cannot thank those developers enough that are supporting the Samsung Note ATT 2.

Laugh2

Dec 18, 2016
Well having broken my previous phone I am back to my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505, that's right, S FOUR.

There is official Lineage support , and also an optimized Lineage15 alpha build.

Currently I am using an AOSP developer build of Android 8.1 on my 5 year old phone and it is still running perfectly!
I've got three Galaxy S5 in the family all running LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) and still getting updated once a week. It runs really well and is the best of many Custom ROMs I've tried for this device. However, the (very) few hiccups include:
  1. VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work (and unlikely ever to work on these older Samsung devices with Custom ROMs) so ALL mobile calls mobile calls must use the 3G connection. Aslo, with Lineage it probably won't ever work. In many countries this will become increasingly a problem as the 3G service is shut down to free up resources for 4G and 5G.

2. While Android 11's in-built SIP does work excellently over both Wifi and 4G, there are two configuration settings which revert to default after every restart:
    - "Make Calls with">"Ask first" reverts to the GSM SIM, and
    - "Caller ID">"Hide Number".
Having tried Lineage 17 and Lineage 18 on the Galaxy S5 I can recommend this device except if your 3G service has been already been shut down or soon will be. Used S5's are very cheap these days e.g. including international postage costing less than $US 50 on eBay to where I live.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmundDroid

Laugh2

Dec 18, 2016
Lucky you: I just wondered about 2 S5 Neos here and it seems this model has been kicked from being maintained.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/s5neolte/
Yes, we feel lucky too. The S5 has been described by some as "the best phone Samsung ever made" (... though obviously not the most powerful). It seems to do pretty much everything and even has a removable battery. Its popularity is being recognised by LineageOS with continued support.

Unfortunately, since 3G services are being shutdown globally over the next few years then the S5 may well have had its day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What would you recommend as a compact (around 5-5.1 inches) phone for LineageOS right now?
    The Galaxy S7 doesn't seem like a bad option, it has a 5.1 display, very good specs and LineageOS 14.1 official...

I had very similar requirements when I was phone shopping this month. Here is what I found:

The device manufacturers with active ROM development and popular LineageOS support for their current devices are:
    LG
    Xiaomi
    Motorola
    Google (Nexus/Pixel)
    Oneplus
    ZTE
    HTC

Missing from the list is Samsung (locked bootloader, very unfriendly to custom devs), Huawei (non Snapdragon, proprietary chips), and Sony (no idea why, lack of presence in the US, perhaps). Note: the international S7 does have Lineage support, but I personally wrote it off for the lack of USB C and my general dislike of Samsung.

Personally, I cannot recommend any LG phones prior to the G6/V20 due to bootloop issues that I personally experienced with my 5X. I am obsessed with the idea of owning a Xiaomi device, but their flagships rarely launch with US LTE bands. Motorola has been going in a direction I don't like, with bigger bezels and no headphone jacks. The Google Nexus and Pixel lines are definitely worth considering. The only Nexus worth anything is maybe the Nexus 6P, but it's much too big. I owned a Pixel, but found that it was too delicate (I hate cases) and the bezels bothered me. It was so expensive that I found myself treating it differently and I hated that. I'm a big fan of buying affordable phones and swapping them in and out as I see fit. Oneplus is a shady company, but their devices and dev support are GREAT. However, the screen size is out of your range. Same goes for ZTE.

For me, that left HTC and the HTC 10. 5.2" QHD, SD 820, USB C, durable build, large battery, expandable storage, wide LTE band support, capacitive home button/fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone when screen is off (love this) and a very active dev community.

I LOVE this phone, even more than my Pixel. 5.2" has been my favorite size since my LG G2 days. I'll definitely be hanging onto this for the next 12 months (which I've only ever done with my 5X, which then boot looped.)

Hope this helps!
    Nexus is dead, Pixel is nothing (just a Nexus with iPhone price) and Samsung is dead (Exynos/Knox/kernel source), so what is the best phone for LineageOS? I really don't like OnePlus anymore, because for the same price I get a S7 Edge with VR, warrenty and local support (Samsung service point). Car charger for 30 bucks, dash charger, dash cable... f... that!

For now I got a Mi Max Prime (64GB version) and a Mi5s Plus which is just like a 100$ phone compare to firmware support for a highend device (buggy firmware, no real updates, no Xiaomi support (flop)). Don't get me wrong, the hardware is genius (dualsim, 128GB, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 821, 3800 mAh, QC and for under 400€ with import and shipping) but it feels like the first CM alpha builds from a S3 with Exynos :/

So I need to switch... I looking for a new powerful device with great ROM support, like OnePlus. The battery (SOT) is on the first position, after LineageOS support.

What you think? Switch to the old Nexus 6p, buy a OnePlus 3T (it is the last option for me) or maybe a other phone? A brand new S7 Edge I can get for 400 bucks, a Mi Note 2 for 550 but I really don't care anymore... good battery and official LineageOS is what I need for the future.

I hope you guys can help me.

Regards
    What about the Asus Zenfone 3? So far that's the best hardware I've seen for the lowest price. The software is the only thing I don't like about them so much but so far it beats all the other overpriced iPhone comletitors

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

But no LineageOS or CM, like the OP asked
    I'm no developer and don't plan to be, but, how does a phone enters development support for CM and now LeanegeOS?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If a dev like this phone or using this phone now, he'll build it
    Well having broken my previous phone I am back to my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505, that's right, S FOUR.

There is official Lineage support , and also an optimized Lineage15 alpha build.

Currently I am using an AOSP developer build of Android 8.1 on my 5 year old phone and it is still running perfectly!
    I've got three Galaxy S5 in the family all running LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) and still getting updated once a week. It runs really well and is the best of many Custom ROMs I've tried for this device. However, the (very) few hiccups include:
    1. VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work (and unlikely ever to work on these older Samsung devices with Custom ROMs) so ALL mobile calls mobile calls must use the 3G connection. Aslo, with Lineage it probably won't ever work. In many countries this will become increasingly a problem as the 3G service is shut down to free up resources for 4G and 5G.

2. While Android 11's in-built SIP does work excellently over both Wifi and 4G, there are two configuration settings which revert to default after every restart:
      - "Make Calls with">"Ask first" reverts to the GSM SIM, and
      - "Caller ID">"Hide Number".
    Having tried Lineage 17 and Lineage 18 on the Galaxy S5 I can recommend this device except if your 3G service has been already been shut down or soon will be. Used S5's are very cheap these days e.g. including international postage costing less than $US 50 on eBay to where I live.