Which is the best phone for LineageOS 2017?

Search This thread

snowblind-nz

May 23, 2008
I have a LeEco le pro 3 using the official Lineage OS and love it!

5.5" Full HD Screen
Fingerprint scanner
Bottom (facing down) and top (front) speakers
4000mAh battery
Snapdragon 821, 4 or 6gb ram, 32 or 128gb rom
Sony IMX298 Camera (i.e. half decent).

Priced at around $280USD and up from the usual Chinese buyers / Aliexpress.

Only 3 things that aren't great:
- LCD not AMOLED screen. I went from an S5 to this, and preferred the S5 colors.
- GPS drains the battery in 1 day if left on all the time (I get ~2.5 days with it GPS switched off unless I need it). This was not an issue with the (horrible) stock rom.
- Color options: white, gold or pink front plate. I have the gold front with a dark blue case. Doesn't look too bad. Would have got the white front if it was in stock (most places only had the pink when I ordered a few months ago). Good news is there's no front logo, and you cant see the menu buttons at all if you switch to the onscreen keys (they are hidden when the led behind them is off).

Reactions: Klanac89

snowblind-nz

May 23, 2008
Leeco Le Pro 3 got official Lineage OS? I will sell my Mi5s and buy this one.

Yup, only 13 though. 14.1 is still unofficial / in beta.

Download 13.0:
https://download.lineageos.org/zl1

XDA Thread for 13.0:
https://xdaforums.com/le-pro3/development/lineageos-development-t3553180

14.1 unofficial thread:
https://xdaforums.com/le-pro3/development/rom-official-lineageos-14-1-weekly-t3575292
(Reported Bugs in 14.1 = IR not working, Camera is buggy)

Reactions: Klanac89

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
I can not find my next phone! (Sigh!)
Im' trying to find a good phone with:
- large display (5.5" or 5.7")
- good soc
- Lineage OS support
- micro sd support
Find several phones, also in this thread, but nothing still convinces me.
For example: Leeco Le Pro 3 or OnePlus 3T (specially the last one) are great phones, but missing an important option, no microsd support!
ZTE Axon 7 is also a good option, but the Lineage version is not so stable (according to the comments I read here on xda, specially on audio).

My dream is the LG V20, but on 990DS version there is still no root and no bootloader unlocked (the pledge here on xda has not produced any results yet).
Even some Honor models look very interesting, but there is no development on these phones.

So: there is someone who can give me some good advice?

z0m8i3

Mar 30, 2016
Im a newb to rom stuff, but im coming from windows phone, so i needed to purchase a new phone to use lineage.

I had no clue what i was looking for, so i went down the lineage compatibility list on thr lineage site and researched phone prices, age, specs etc.

Alot of the compatible phones were more expensive than id prefer to pay.. I came across the moto g4 play, which was released in 2016 (so id imagine/hope itll be supported by lineage for some time). For the price paid brand new ($140) it has decent specs. Only complaints so far are no led or hardware capacitive buttons.

abrok

May 20, 2017
I got the same dilemma like OP.
And i think the xiaomi devices are great but one big question or fear of me is the spyware the chinese love so much on it.
I know lineage could solve that but i dont know which further steps those chinese ingeneers take and also there were reports in the past that a xiaomi device also got
hardware to spy in it.

nupi

Dec 11, 2010
The axon works quite well these days, audio may not be be as good as stock but serviceable.

If you can do without sd I would go for op3 probably simply because community is substantially bigger.

liquidator87

May 1, 2011
What would you recommend as a compact (around 5-5.1 inches) phone for LineageOS right now?
The Galaxy S7 doesn't seem like a bad option, it has a 5.1 display, very good specs and LineageOS 14.1 official...

andrevergamito

Jun 22, 2017
Nova Milanese
Zenfone2

Just a drop in the ocean here... I'd go with a Zenfone 2, on Intel processor. Easy unlock from Asus website, Lineage support and very stable, way better to handle because it is thinner compared to all other phones out there. Good enough monitor and mid-high camera. I have one of these since they came out (HAS GOT TO BE AT LEAST 2½ YEAR) and I am going to buy another to keep as spare. Also they are easy to open, and swap parts(had to change charging board because my power supply had a short, dual SIM (even if no 3G on slot 2). At the moment you can get the Deluxe at just over 100 bucks, and youll be very happy. To understand the power of the x86 architecture, my actual phone on latest Lineage ranked at the 40th place in Antutu, 3 years after release and still beeing on top (almost)

HighTechHobo

Apr 7, 2013
What would you recommend as a compact (around 5-5.1 inches) phone for LineageOS right now?
The Galaxy S7 doesn't seem like a bad option, it has a 5.1 display, very good specs and LineageOS 14.1 official...

I had very similar requirements when I was phone shopping this month. Here is what I found:

The device manufacturers with active ROM development and popular LineageOS support for their current devices are:
LG
Xiaomi
Motorola
Google (Nexus/Pixel)
Oneplus
ZTE
HTC

Missing from the list is Samsung (locked bootloader, very unfriendly to custom devs), Huawei (non Snapdragon, proprietary chips), and Sony (no idea why, lack of presence in the US, perhaps). Note: the international S7 does have Lineage support, but I personally wrote it off for the lack of USB C and my general dislike of Samsung.

Personally, I cannot recommend any LG phones prior to the G6/V20 due to bootloop issues that I personally experienced with my 5X. I am obsessed with the idea of owning a Xiaomi device, but their flagships rarely launch with US LTE bands. Motorola has been going in a direction I don't like, with bigger bezels and no headphone jacks. The Google Nexus and Pixel lines are definitely worth considering. The only Nexus worth anything is maybe the Nexus 6P, but it's much too big. I owned a Pixel, but found that it was too delicate (I hate cases) and the bezels bothered me. It was so expensive that I found myself treating it differently and I hated that. I'm a big fan of buying affordable phones and swapping them in and out as I see fit. Oneplus is a shady company, but their devices and dev support are GREAT. However, the screen size is out of your range. Same goes for ZTE.

For me, that left HTC and the HTC 10. 5.2" QHD, SD 820, USB C, durable build, large battery, expandable storage, wide LTE band support, capacitive home button/fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone when screen is off (love this) and a very active dev community.

I LOVE this phone, even more than my Pixel. 5.2" has been my favorite size since my LG G2 days. I'll definitely be hanging onto this for the next 12 months (which I've only ever done with my 5X, which then boot looped.)

Hope this helps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had very similar requirements when I was phone shopping this month. Here is what I found:

The device manufacturers with active ROM development and popular LineageOS support for their current devices are:
    LG
    Xiaomi
    Motorola
    Google (Nexus/Pixel)
    Oneplus
    ZTE
    HTC

Missing from the list is Samsung (locked bootloader, very unfriendly to custom devs), Huawei (non Snapdragon, proprietary chips), and Sony (no idea why, lack of presence in the US, perhaps). Note: the international S7 does have Lineage support, but I personally wrote it off for the lack of USB C and my general dislike of Samsung.

Personally, I cannot recommend any LG phones prior to the G6/V20 due to bootloop issues that I personally experienced with my 5X. I am obsessed with the idea of owning a Xiaomi device, but their flagships rarely launch with US LTE bands. Motorola has been going in a direction I don't like, with bigger bezels and no headphone jacks. The Google Nexus and Pixel lines are definitely worth considering. The only Nexus worth anything is maybe the Nexus 6P, but it's much too big. I owned a Pixel, but found that it was too delicate (I hate cases) and the bezels bothered me. It was so expensive that I found myself treating it differently and I hated that. I'm a big fan of buying affordable phones and swapping them in and out as I see fit. Oneplus is a shady company, but their devices and dev support are GREAT. However, the screen size is out of your range. Same goes for ZTE.

For me, that left HTC and the HTC 10. 5.2" QHD, SD 820, USB C, durable build, large battery, expandable storage, wide LTE band support, capacitive home button/fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone when screen is off (love this) and a very active dev community.

I LOVE this phone, even more than my Pixel. 5.2" has been my favorite size since my LG G2 days. I'll definitely be hanging onto this for the next 12 months (which I've only ever done with my 5X, which then boot looped.)

Hope this helps!
    Nexus is dead, Pixel is nothing (just a Nexus with iPhone price) and Samsung is dead (Exynos/Knox/kernel source), so what is the best phone for LineageOS? I really don't like OnePlus anymore, because for the same price I get a S7 Edge with VR, warrenty and local support (Samsung service point). Car charger for 30 bucks, dash charger, dash cable... f... that!

For now I got a Mi Max Prime (64GB version) and a Mi5s Plus which is just like a 100$ phone compare to firmware support for a highend device (buggy firmware, no real updates, no Xiaomi support (flop)). Don't get me wrong, the hardware is genius (dualsim, 128GB, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 821, 3800 mAh, QC and for under 400€ with import and shipping) but it feels like the first CM alpha builds from a S3 with Exynos :/

So I need to switch... I looking for a new powerful device with great ROM support, like OnePlus. The battery (SOT) is on the first position, after LineageOS support.

What you think? Switch to the old Nexus 6p, buy a OnePlus 3T (it is the last option for me) or maybe a other phone? A brand new S7 Edge I can get for 400 bucks, a Mi Note 2 for 550 but I really don't care anymore... good battery and official LineageOS is what I need for the future.

I hope you guys can help me.

Regards
    What about the Asus Zenfone 3? So far that's the best hardware I've seen for the lowest price. The software is the only thing I don't like about them so much but so far it beats all the other overpriced iPhone comletitors

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

But no LineageOS or CM, like the OP asked
    I'm no developer and don't plan to be, but, how does a phone enters development support for CM and now LeanegeOS?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If a dev like this phone or using this phone now, he'll build it
    Well having broken my previous phone I am back to my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505, that's right, S FOUR.

There is official Lineage support , and also an optimized Lineage15 alpha build.

Currently I am using an AOSP developer build of Android 8.1 on my 5 year old phone and it is still running perfectly!
    I've got three Galaxy S5 in the family all running LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) and still getting updated once a week. It runs really well and is the best of many Custom ROMs I've tried for this device. However, the (very) few hiccups include:
    1. VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work (and unlikely ever to work on these older Samsung devices with Custom ROMs) so ALL mobile calls mobile calls must use the 3G connection. Aslo, with Lineage it probably won't ever work. In many countries this will become increasingly a problem as the 3G service is shut down to free up resources for 4G and 5G.

2. While Android 11's in-built SIP does work excellently over both Wifi and 4G, there are two configuration settings which revert to default after every restart:
      - "Make Calls with">"Ask first" reverts to the GSM SIM, and
      - "Caller ID">"Hide Number".
    Having tried Lineage 17 and Lineage 18 on the Galaxy S5 I can recommend this device except if your 3G service has been already been shut down or soon will be. Used S5's are very cheap these days e.g. including international postage costing less than $US 50 on eBay to where I live.